Am I reading this right? Only 5 GM candidates?

32EBoozer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whu?

For an expansion team, they've actually been decent, and aside from Kubiak's "I almost died on the sideline" season, in which Schaub crapped out, Foster and Johnson got old and the OL was broken up, they've been pretty competitive. As competitive as the Jets at least. 

Also... last time I checked, Bill Belichick worked for the Browns and Jets before becoming a winner. If he had worked for the Raiders, he'd have pretty much covered the trifecta of ongoing failure in the NFL, and still considered maybe the greatest coach of all time.

So yeah, good theory.

Belichick won SUPERBOWLS as a high end position coach and later as the best defensive coordinator of his time before going to Clevland. He also ran the best defense in football when he was with the Jets. Coaches float around. If he had been on the Browns coaching staff for 15 years and they had managed one play off victory in their entire history as a franchise..... Like Houston ... it would be a good analogy. But sadly it wasn't. Nice try

The 49ers sucked bad when green bay plucked mike mcCarthy to be their next head coach. I was perplexed by their selection as well as many others during that time and it worked out pretty good. Sometimes you have great guys that are part of a dysfunctional community that brings the whole operation down. And sometimes the best coordinators fail to transition into great head coaches like norv turner for instance. On the other hand mike Tomlin was a great coordinator for a crappyviking team that couldn't get over e hump and he became a pretty awesome head coach. You just have to wait and see what happens. I'm not gonna pretend I know more an casserole or wolf.

I guess you're right. It's just tough because everything I've been reading implies Casserly has an agenda with pushing this guy, and I really think that the Texans have been mismanaged. But there are a lot of diamonds in the rough... I just feel pessimistic that Woody will make the right call.

On another note, shouldn't Woody have his ear to the ground and know who the up and comers are with coaches and front office guys? I feel like if I owned an NFL team I'd have my own wish list and the resources to know who I would want.

Belichick won SUPERBOWLS as a high end position coach and later as the best defensive coordinator of his time before going to Clevland. He also ran the best defense in football when he was with the Jets. Coaches float around. If he had been on the Browns coaching staff for 15 years and they had managed one play off victory in their entire history as a franchise..... Like Houston ... it would be a good analogy. But sadly it wasn't. Nice try

That wasn't an analogy, it was an example that proves your silly theory wrong. The level of qualifiers and semantics you have to use here to rebut my point pretty much undermines your whole theory, but I'll indulge you anyway... 

Here's another:

Pete Carroll coached the Jets and the Patriots when they were both laughing stocks. Now he's got a ring, and that team looks built to win more. 

And another:

Tony Dungy coached the leagues worst franchise ever in Tampa. Got a ring with Indy.

Your theory is so ridiculous, I don't have have to do research to prove it wrong... this is house-wife level knowledge of the NFL over just the past 10 years or so.

That wasn't an analogy, it was an example that proves your silly theory wrong. The level of qualifiers and semantics you have to use here to rebut my point pretty much undermines your whole theory, but I'll indulge you anyway... 

Here's another:

Pete Carroll coached the Jets and the Patriots when they were both laughing stocks. Now he's got a ring, and that team looks built to win more. 

And another:

Tony Dungy coached the leagues worst franchise ever in Tampa. Got a ring with Indy.

Your theory is so ridiculous, I don't have have to do research to prove it wrong... this is house-wife level knowledge of the NFL over just the past 10 years or so.

Others gave great examples and I agreed my theory isn't 100% accurate. But your example was horrid.

Thanks for playing the game.

I walked into that

I see your point about the culture of an organization but I think it's hard to damn everyone in those types of organizations. You could also make the argument that skillset of people in organizations perceived as good are inflated and maybe are 'along for the ride' so to speak.

I see your point about the culture of an organization but I think it's hard to damn everyone in those types of organizations. You could also make the argument that skillset of people in organizations perceived as good are inflated and maybe are 'along for the ride' so to speak.

True

I guess you're right. It's just tough because everything I've been reading implies Casserly has an agenda with pushing this guy, and I really think that the Texans have been mismanaged. But there are a lot of diamonds in the rough... I just feel pessimistic that Woody will make the right call.

On another note, shouldn't Woody have his ear to the ground and know who the up and comers are with coaches and front office guys? I feel like if I owned an NFL team I'd have my own wish list and the resources to know who I would want.

If you don't trust Woody to make the right call, then why are you complaining that he doesn't have a list of his own? Frankly, I think hiring advisors is 1.) very humble, and very smart of him, 2.) an above-and-beyond expense that most owners don't spend on. 

Good managers know what they excel at, and know how to hire people smarter than them for everything else. It's what Woody did last year, but he shot himself in the foot by making Rex a variable, it undermined the entire point of using consultants to bring you good candidates... they couldn't bring him good candidates, they had to bring him ones willing to accept the parameter of Rex. 

Woody learned from his mistake(s) and I see nothing but positive decision making going on at the moment. Hope it lasts.

Others gave great examples and I agreed my theory isn't 100% accurate. But your example was horrid.

Thanks for playing the game.

Would you say it's 100% horrid? 

Nevermind, I've just run the math... turns out my example is only about 20% horrid, while your theory is only about 3% accurate, or to be more specific 97% poop.

If you don't trust Woody to make the right call, then why are you complaining that he doesn't have a list of his own? Frankly, I think hiring advisors is 1.) very humble, and very smart of him, 2.) an above-and-beyond expense that most owners don't spend on. 

Good managers know what they excel at, and know how to hire people smarter than them for everything else. It's what Woody did last year, but he shot himself in the foot by making Rex a variable, it undermined the entire point of using consultants to bring you good candidates... they couldn't bring him good candidates, they had to bring him ones willing to accept the parameter of Rex. 

Woody learned from his mistake(s) and I see nothing but positive decision making going on at the moment. Hope it lasts.

I am glad he hired Wolf. He may be the best mind available to advise in this situation. I'm just making an observation, I think I would have a clear target in mind if I were him, at HC and GM.

It's hard to say if Casserly and Wolf will deliver, but I'm glad Woody is trying different avenues. I liked that he hired that consulting firm last time, but obviously that process was botched. I give Woody credit for continuing to try different ways of finding the right guys.

I just hope he focuses on creating a culture and winning. Nothing else, not PSL's, not flashy press conferences, empty guarantees to grab headlines and "swagger".

Would you say it's 100% horrid? 

Nevermind, I've just run the math... turns out my example is only about 20% horrid, while your theory is only about 3% accurate, or to be more specific 97% poop.

I'm thick skinned, I can take your abuse, but leave the poor housewives out of it. =)

Here's another:

Pete Carroll coached the Jets and the Patriots when they were both laughing stocks. Now he's got a ring, and that team looks built to win more

And another:

1. There's a 20-year gap from when Carroll was fired by Jets for going 6-10 and when he won a ring with Seattle. One can learn a lot in 20 years. Marrone was 6-10 just a year ago in Buffalo.

2. Dungy took the Bucs to the playoffs 4 out of 6 years he was HC for TB.

3. If this is housewife level knowledge you only proved a housewife knows more about the NFL than you do.  LOL

I am glad he hired Wolf. He may be the best mind available to advise in this situation. I'm just making an observation, I think I would have a clear target in mind if I were him, at HC and GM.

It's hard to say if Casserly and Wolf will deliver, but I'm glad Woody is trying different avenues. I liked that he hired that consulting firm last time, but obviously that process was botched. I give Woody credit for continuing to try different ways of finding the right guys.

I just hope he focuses on creating a culture and winning. Nothing else, not PSL's, not flashy press conferences, empty guarantees to grab headlines and "swagger".

I wish Woody hired Wolf without Casserly. 

The 49ers sucked bad when green bay plucked mike mcCarthy to be their next head coach. I was perplexed by their selection as well as many others during that time and it worked out pretty good. Sometimes you have great guys that are part of a dysfunctional community that brings the whole operation down. And sometimes the best coordinators fail to transition into great head coaches like norv turner for instance. On the other hand mike Tomlin was a great coordinator for a crappyviking team that couldn't get over e hump and he became a pretty awesome head coach. You just have to wait and see what happens. I'm not gonna pretend I know more an casserole or wolf.

Speaking of, hiring the Tuna was a recipe for success.

1. There's a 20-year gap from when Carroll was fired by Jets for going 6-10 and when he won a ring with Seattle. One can learn a lot in 20 years. Marrone was 6-10 just a year ago in Buffalo.

2. Dungy took the Bucs to the playoffs 4 out of 6 years he was HC for TB.

3. If this is housewife level knowledge you only proved a housewife knows more about the NFL than you do. LOL

Do you realize that the qualifiers and unique situations you are trotting out for these guys that once worked for a junk organization, but somehow went on to be successful elsewhere proves what I'm saying? That you can in fact take someone out of a bad situation and have them succeed.

I get that some of you guys want yo try and tune me up, maybe start with an accurate position and understanding how examples work. They should help your argument, not mine.

What qualifies Maccagnan besides his friendship with Casserly?

Frankly, I'd avoid all slapnuts members of slapdick organizations.

Houston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Minnesota ... 

MacCagnan is laughable----  never really accoplished anything. Friends with Casserly. 

I like the guys from Seattle better;  A personable guy like Dan Quinn would do ok with the NY media.   don't know that much about

Terry Kirchner.      Ballard from Kansas City has potential as a good GM  also.

MacCagnan is laughable----  never really accoplished anything. Friends with Casserly. 

I like the guys from Seattle better;  A personable guy like Dan Quinn would do ok with the NY media.   don't know that much about

I'd still like the Jets to somehow bring Scot McCloughan into the fold as player personnel director, asst. GM. Guy has hit too many home runs in the draft to not have him on board.

I read somewhere that the Texans drafted that bust, JJ Watt...

Speaking of laughable..

Horsesh1t Mehta is doing radio interviews now??

Had to be with that lame retard, Mr Excitement Neer, I'm guessing

or that NE suck-up Florio. Can't believe NBC gives that jerk air time.

Why is he laughable?  What do you know about Mccagnan? What are his credentials?

I read somewhere that the Texans drafted that bust, JJ Watt...

Speaking of laughable..

Horsesh1t Mehta is doing radio interviews now??

Had to be with that lame retard, Mr Excitement Neer, I'm guessing

Watt was their second choice at that pick. They took him because their guy got taken. 

I didn't know that, hopefully that is the case. I would feel a lot better about the process. I can't complain so far at least he hired football minds to help him with the search, hopefully he takes their advice.

12/28

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Former Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf will join Charley Casserly as a consultant for the New York Jets in the likely event the team is searching for a new head coach and general manager, a league source told ESPN.com Sunday. 

Technically, Wolf and Casserly --- both members of the NFL's career advisory -- won't be hired until owner Woody Johnson fires Rex Ryan and/or John Idzik. Both men are expected to be replaced, possibly as soon as Monday. In Ryan's case, Johnson may let the new GM determine the coach's fate, ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen reported. 

Casserly reached out to Wolf last week. Both men are highly respected in NFL circles. Wolf actually worked as the Jets' personnel director in 1990-1991 under GM Dick Steinberg. Wolf is best known for rebuilding the Packers and winning a Super Bowl in Green Bay.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47882/source-ron-wolf-expected-to-join-jets-as-consultant

any of you arm chair team presidents ever think that you may not know all there is to know when it comes to hiring or being a GM? i am always amazed by people who oversimplify things that are really not that simple, or disparage qualified people without having anything more then tabloid level information. I recall the last time this process was taking place people were gaga over the same Tom Gamble who was just fired by the eagles. Of the names i've heard, i can confidently say no one on this board knows jack sh*t about their ability to be a GM (the jets probably don't either until they interview them).

In any case i don't pretend to know enough about the guys being interviewed by i am glad to see that they are all being vetted by 2 football lifers instead of a staffing firm, and all have a player personnel background, i think the challenge is going to be finding the right "football guy" who can also perform non football duties of a GM and get the right people in place to oversee the cap, scouting, etc.

12/28

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Former Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf will join Charley Casserly as a consultant for the New York Jets in the likely event the team is searching for a new head coach and general manager, a league source told ESPN.com Sunday. Technically, Wolf and Casserly --- both members of the NFL's career advisory -- won't be hired until owner Woody Johnson fires Rex Ryan and/or John Idzik. Both men are expected to be replaced, possibly as soon as Monday. In Ryan's case, Johnson may let the new GM determine the coach's fate, ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen reported. Casserly reached out to Wolf last week. Both men are highly respected in NFL circles. Wolf actually worked as the Jets' personnel director in 1990-1991 under GM Dick Steinberg. Wolf is best known for rebuilding the Packers and winning a Super Bowl in Green Bay.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47882/source-ron-wolf-expected-to-join-jets-as-consultant

Thanks C Mart appreciate it.

he hasn't even been a director level guy yet.  he oversees like 7 scouts

just not qualified for the job imho

Really?  Since Titles seem to matter:

MIKE MACCAGNAN

DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE SCOUTING

Mike Maccagnan coordinates all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts as the director of college scouting.
In addition to evaluating college prospects, he also is involved with evaluating NFL teams and prospects in preparation for NFL free agency.

One of the Texans’ first hires, Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout in January 2000 before being promoted to coordinator of college scouting in April 2000. In June 2010, he was promoted to assistant director of college scouting before being elevated to his
current position in July 2011.

Before arriving in Houston, Maccagnan spent the previous six years as a scout for the Washington Redskins.  He served as a college scout (1994) for the Redskins before becoming a pro scout in 1995, although he continued to evaluate college prospects in preparation for the NFL draft.

Prior to joining Washington, Maccagnan worked for the Canadian Football League’s Ottawa Rough Riders as the club’s director of scouting and director of player personnel. In 1994, he was the director of scouting and player personnel for the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders.

He also was the director of player personnel for the World League’s London Monarchs when that franchise captured the league championship in 1991. In 1990, Maccagnan worked in the World League office in Dallas as a league scout. Maccagnan was a member of
the NFL Stanford Program for managers in June, 2005.

A native of Hightstown, N.J., Maccagnan holds a bachelor’s degree in economics from Trinity (Conn.) College.
After graduating from Trinity, Maccagnan served as an intern in the scouting department for the Washington Redskins during training camp in 1990.

Mike and his wife, Betty, live in Houston.

Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan oversees a group of nine scouts – two national scouts, six area scouts and one scout who evaluates college and pro prospects. They started studying the 2013 draft class about three weeks after the 2012 draft, more than 11 months of player evaluations that led to nine draft picks from April 25-27.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Scouting-director-Mike-Maccagnan-reviews-2013-draft/16e0560b-38af-4470-bfff-c32515415954

Still not qualified?  Still laughable, Manish?

If you graduate with a degree in Economics, your plenty smart enough to figure out cap ramifications.

If you've been involved in scouting and evaluating for nearly 20 years and haven't been fired but actually promoted through the years, you must be doing something right.

Bradway being the obvious exception to that rule.

If Wolf is OK with the guy, and obviously Casserly is, I'm OK with it.

Who is he connected with as far as coaching candidates. Obviously Kubiac. Any others?

Archived