Brandon Scherff

KRL

Talking about taking an OT at #6 in the first round is not
"sexy", but Brandon Scherff out of Iowa is very impressive.
While at the gym I watched him play against Tenn:

- He's as big as a barn

- He has excellent feet

- Good quickness to get to the 2nd & 3rd level

- Good flexibility to bend and block speedy edge rushers

- And maybe his most impressive trait was the nastiness
he was playing with as his team was getting blown out.  You
couldn't tell what the score was with how hard he was playing

If we took him I could see him playing guard until Brick's
play declines.  So far from what I've seen if our first
two picks were Brandon Scherff and Bryce Petty I would be
happy 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scherff is probably best suited as a RT in the NFL in my opinion, but he could succeed at any position at any OL position outside of C.

He does have issues with speed rushers at times, which is where the questions about LT come in. He is an absolute mauler in the run game. Best I've seen at Iowa, and we have put some OL in the NFL over the last 15 years.

He is a physical freak. He will destroy the combine and his stock will likely rise. He is about as strong as any NFL lineman out there. We are talking 443 lb hang clean. That's Suh territory. He's also very agile. He played QB in HS for what it's worth.

I agree with KRL that s big positive is his mean streak. He kills people. And he does it to the whistle. Every play.

Iowa OL come from an NFL zone scheme and are ready to play from day 1.

He does have a bit of an injury history. Broken leg one year. Knee scope this year(didn't miss a game though). Kind of always seems to be dinged. That's my biggest concern with him.

Wouldn't be a sexy pick, but he's got value at 6.

You don't draft a guard at #6. Even if you're hoping he's only gonna be a guard for a couple years.

That's oldhead talk.  since 2000 the Jets have had 5 picks in the top ten.  Dwayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez and Dee Milliner.  The only other top ten pick we had was D'Brickashaw Ferguson.  He's also the only one to ever make a probowl.  If Scherff can play OT at a high level for many years, he's an awesome pick.  If he can't cut it at OT and moves inside to Guard and plays at a high level there for many years, he still a great pick.  Better than Robertson, Gholston Sanchez and Milliner anyway.  Its a pick with little gamble and no real downside.  For a team that has QB issues and a crap offense, shoring up a shaky Oline should be the first priority.

Scherff is probably best suited as a RT in the NFL in my opinion, but he could succeed at any position at any OL position outside of C.

He does have issues with speed rushers at times, which is where the questions about LT come in. He is an absolute mauler in the run game. Best I've seen at Iowa, and we have put some OL in the NFL over the last 15 years.

He is a physical freak. He will destroy the combine and his stock will likely rise. He is about as strong as any NFL lineman out there. We are talking 443 lb hang clean. That's Suh territory. He's also very agile. He played QB in HS for what it's worth.

He does have a bit of an injury history. Broken leg one year. Knee scope this year(didn't miss a game though). Kind of always seems to be dinged. That's my biggest concern with him.

I like the fact that if he can play multiple spots on the line. Injuries happen and players have to move around sometimes.

You don't draft a guard at #6. Even if you're hoping he's only gonna be a guard for a couple years.

Why not? Draft a DE at 6, and he sucks, you get three years to convert him to OLB (justifying his poor play with the transition); Wasted four years. Draft a QB at 6, and he sucks, you get a redshirt year and blame it on the OC; wasted four years.

Draft a RT at 6. If he's good, make him a LT. You DO draft those this high. He has four years LT experience, so it's not unreasonable that he can make that transition. If he sucks, move him inside to OG where he becomes a probowler; four years later we still have an either Really Good OT, or a ProBowl OG on roster. I'm okay with that.

I agree with KRL that s big positive is his mean streak. He kills people. And he does it to the whistle. Every play.

Great post - thanks!

That's oldhead talk.  since 2000 the Jets have had 5 picks in the top ten.  Dwayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez and Dee Milliner.  The only other top ten pick we had was D'Brickashaw Ferguson.  He's also the only one to ever make a probowl.  If Scherff can play OT at a high level for many years, he's an awesome pick.  If he can't cut it at OT and moves inside to Guard and plays at a high level there for many years, he still a great pick.  Better than Robertson, Gholston Sanchez and Milliner anyway.  Its a pick with little gamble and no real downside.  For a team that has QB issues and a crap offense, shoring up a shaky Oline should be the first priority.

I am old. I hope the new GM doesn't draft a guard at #6 (and the last time a guard went that high, I was very, very young) just because the Jets have employed crappy GMs this millennium. Drafting a guard that high is dumb.

Why not? Draft a DE at 6, and he sucks, you get three years to convert him to OLB (justifying his poor play with the transition); Wasted four years. Draft a QB at 6, and he sucks, you get a redshirt year and blame it on the OC; wasted four years.

Draft a RT at 6. If he's good, make him a LT. You DO draft those this high. He has four years LT experience, so it's not unreasonable that he can make that transition. If he sucks, move him inside to OG where he becomes a probowler; four years later we still have an either Really Good OT, or a ProBowl OG on roster. I'm okay with that.

I'm cool with the franchise left tackle at #6, even if he plays RT for a couple years. But a guard? No way, none. Right tackles don't go that high, either. In your hypothetical, I take the pass rusher every time and twice in the first round.

I am old. I hope the new GM doesn't draft a guard at #6 (and the last time a guard went that high, I was very, very young) just because the Jets have employed crappy GMs this millennium. Drafting a guard that high is dumb.

Ya Jon Cooper went to cards in top 10 and cant even crack starting lineup. 

true...but the dude is a beast

I'm cool with the franchise left tackle at #6, even if he plays RT for a couple years. But a guard? No way, none. Right tackles don't go that high, either. In your hypothetical, I take the pass rusher every time and twice in the first round.

Zack Martin's first team all pro...

If that's the way they went and then signed Iupati...that's the quickest way to turn this team around. Our guard play as been dismal.

Zack Martin's first team all pro...

If that's the way they went and then signed Iupati...that's the quickest way to turn this team around. Our guard play as been dismal.

Drafting a guard at #6 is the equivalent of signing a free agent guard for $12M/year. It's a piss poor allocation of resources.

OK Slats.  I get your concern.  But tell me what think of drafting this guy after watching the video.  I say he's worth a 6 all day 'err day.

I lose track of the pancakes, is it 14 in that video, or am I counting one of them twice?!

Drafting a guard at #6 is the equivalent of signing a free agent guard for $12M/year. It's a piss poor allocation of resources.

For crying out loud, it's hardly a forgone conclusion that he is playing Guard in the NFL. He very well could end up at LT. People say he may be best suited for Guard or can play Guard because he is much better in the run game than your average LT. At this time, his Run Blocking>Pass Blocking, but it's not as if he is some revolving door.

disagree, guards a premium position

Yeah? Who's the highest paid guard in the league? What's the average pay of the top ten guards in the league? Who's the last guard who got a franchise tag? Has there ever been one?

Guards are amongst the lowest paid positions in the league, to go along with the safety and tight end positions our last idiot GM took in the first two rounds last year. Just kill me if they take a guard at #6.

Yeah? Who's the highest paid guard in the league? What's the average pay of the top ten guards in the league? Who's the last guard who got a franchise tag? Has there ever been one?

Guards are amongst the lowest paid positions in the league, to go along with the safety and tight end positions our last idiot GM took in the first two rounds last year. Just kill me if they take a guard at #6.

Zack Martin...terrible pick right?

For crying out loud, it's hardly a forgone conclusion that he is playing Guard in the NFL. He very well could end up at LT. People say he may be best suited for Guard or can play Guard because he is much better in the run game than your average LT. At this time, his Run Blocking>Pass Blocking, but it's not as if he is some revolving door.

I'll draft a franchise LT at #6 no questions asked, but a guy who could end up at LT? No. I'll take the pass rusher or WR who might be there instead.

The pre-draft process will tell the tale on where Scherff will play but from what I

saw I believe he can play LT.  If we picked him I would use him like DAL used

Zack Martin and let him play guard for a year.  Then flip him to LT to replace 

Brick

With defenses trying to manufacture interior pressure these days, having sub-standard OG play is more noticeable than ever, and it kills drives.  Employing penalty-prone lineman who penalize our offense into punting situations, doesn't work any more either.

Last year, the #6 overall pick was Jake Matthews.  He signed a four-year $16M contract, so I don't know where you're getting your FA contract numbers from.

He went #16.

Talk to me about the last guard who went #6.

Zack Martin's production wasnt worth the 6th overall pick? First team all pro as a rookie, Dallas dominant running game...guard play is vital. Plus he can play tackle too.

With defenses trying to manufacture interior pressure these days, having sub-standard OG play is more noticeable than ever, and it kills drives.  Employing penalty-prone lineman who penalize our offense into punting situations, doesn't work any more either.

Last year, the #6 overall pick was Jake Matthews.  He signed a four-year $16M contract, so I don't know where you're getting your FA contract numbers from.

Exactly. Middle pressure kills an offense( and has especially killed ours). These DT's are now athletic freaks...

I'm not saying a rookie selected there would make that money, but that a premium player drafted at #6 would be worth that or more. Guards don't make that kind of coin. I'm gonna draft a premium position at #6. If I can't get a QB, I'm looking pass rusher, wide receiver, left tackle. Not guard. Good guards can be had for $5M/year. QB/WR/LT/pass rusher? They don't spring available. And if they do, they cost a premium.

You fill your guard need cheaply in free agency. You fill premium positions at #6.

I'm not saying a rookie selected there would make that money, but that a premium player drafted at #6 would be worth that or more. Guards don't make that kind of coin. I'm gonna draft a premium position at #6. If I can't get a QB, I'm looking pass rusher, wide receiver, left tackle. Not guard. Good guards can be had for $5M/year. QB/WR/LT/pass rusher? They don't spring available. And if they do, they cost a premium.

You fill your guard need cheaply in free agency. You fill premium positions at #6.

Agreed. Only OL you take at six is a sure fire LT

Zack Martin's production wasnt worth the 6th overall pick? First team all pro as a rookie, Dallas dominant running game...guard play is vital. Plus he can play tackle too.

No. What does the best guard on the free agent market cost? You call it a vital position, but the market doesn't agree.

Archived