Brandon Scherff

KRL

No. What does the best guard on the free agent market cost? You call it a vital position, but the market doesn't agree.

Best guard in free agency gets the most he can get.  The market will set that this upcoming year, the fact that Mike Iupati is going to shake loose is going to be very informative.  

Here's what the top-25 OG's in the NFL are making right now.  (Sorted by cap hit, not base salary)

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/guard/limit-25/

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Jahri Evans, Saints, $11M

2. Ben Grubbs, Saints, $9.1M

3. Andy Levitre, Titans, $8.6M

4. Marhal Yanda, Ravens, $8.45M

5. Justin Blalock, Falcons, $7.6M

6. Zane Beadles, Jaguars, $7.5M

7. Louis Vasquez, Broncos, $7.2M

8. Josh Sutton, Packers, $6.4M

9. Logan Makins, Buccaneers, $6.25M

10. Evan Mathis, Eagles, $6.1M

Best guard in free agency gets the most he can get.  The market will set that this upcoming year, the fact that Mike Iupati is going to shake loose is going to be very informative.  

Here's what the top-25 OG's in the NFL are making right now.  (Sorted by cap hit, not base salary)

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/guard/limit-25/

Thanks. That link makes my point. Look at the all positions option, the top guard comes in at #40 - which is also a nice draft slot to take one.

We may have to take one of the OT at #6

I say play them at RT for 1st year, move Breno to RG

but if that happens Marrone would be perfect choice to help rebuild this line.

It has been floated (Bitonti, I believe) that depending on Dalton Freeman's success at center, the team could move Mangold to LG, to add years to his career, and up grade the left side of the OL. We could also add a free agent OG for the other spot (Iupati, Orlando Franklin), and sign a rookie RT (in this, a loaded year for OT's) and have him compete with Breno for a swing role this year while growing to fill the LT vacancy we'll have in a couple years down the road.   

It has been floated (Bitonti, I believe) that depending on Dalton Freeman's success at center, the team could move Mangold to LG, to add years to his career, and up grade the left side of the OL. We could also add a free agent OG for the other spot (Iupati, Orlando Franklin), and sign a rookie RT (in this, a loaded year for OT's) and have him compete with Breno for a swing role this year while growing to fill the LT vacancy we'll have in a couple years down the road.   

well to do all that we need a good OL coach like callahan or marrone

Thanks. That link makes my point. Look at the all positions option, the top guard comes in at #40 - which is also a nice draft slot to take one.

I understand your position--draft according to salary because we can fill the "expensive" roles for less through the draft.  

But the ratio of: bust rate vs. hitting on someone who will cost mega-bucks, isn't in your favor.

I know OG isn't sexy.  But a probowl level OG making $4M isn't a horrible thing.   

I understand your position--draft according to salary because we can fill the "expensive" roles for less through the draft.  

But the ratio of: bust rate vs. hitting on someone who will cost mega-bucks, isn't in your favor.

I know OG isn't sexy.  But a probowl level OG making $4M isn't a horrible thing.

The last guard to go that high was in 1975. The safe pick isn't always the smart pick, and the league as a whole seems to recognize that.

Get a guard in free agency, swing for the fences at #6.

imo... slats is right.. gaurd is bad value at #6... unless you are getting a once in a generation type

It's the guaranteed money. What the #6 pick gets is basically the top of the market for RT and out of all proportion to guards. It only really makes sense to take a left tackle that high. Passing on a RT or guard anywhere in the top 16 picks can't ever be a huge mistake.

Who do you draft in a do-over, Zack Martin or Odell Beckham Jr.?

Beckham.

As you put it though- Jerry wanted to swing for the fences and had to be talked out of it by his son- and they ended up going with the boring guard. Think that worked out OK.

Beckham.

As you put it though- Jerry wanted to swing for the fences and had to be talked out of it by his son- and they ended up going with the boring guard. Think that worked out OK.

At #16.

There's no case for taking a guard at #6.

Yeah? Who's the highest paid guard in the league? What's the average pay of the top ten guards in the league? Who's the last guard who got a franchise tag? Has there ever been one?

Guards are amongst the lowest paid positions in the league, to go along with the safety and tight end positions our last idiot GM took in the first two rounds last year. Just kill me if they take a guard at #6.

Slats I agree with you with your opinion on guards, however the way I look at Scherff at #6 would be the following. Put him at RT and move Breno inside to RG. Once Bricks done then you transition him to LT. If I'm the Jets and Cooper and Mariota are gone by 6(they will be) the next thing I'd go for is the best O-lineman in the draft. 

Talking about taking an OT at #6 in the first round is not

"sexy", but Brandon Scherff out of Iowa is very impressive.

While at the gym I watched him play against Tenn:

- He's as big as a barn

- He has excellent feet

- Good quickness to get to the 2nd & 3rd level

- Good flexibility to bend and block speedy edge rushers

- And maybe his most impressive trait was the nastiness

he was playing with as his team was getting blown out.  You

couldn't tell what the score was with how hard he was playing

If we took him I could see him playing guard until Brick's

play declines.  So far from what I've seen if our first

two picks were Brandon Scherff and Bryce Petty I would be

happy

I love the idea of going O-line with our first pick. But I'd move that big retard we signed from Seattle who's currently our starting RT to guard and put the top 10 draft pick at RT. Until Brick is gone. It's also less pressure for a rookie playing on the right

It's the guaranteed money. What the #6 pick gets is basically the top of the market for RT and out of all proportion to guards. It only really makes sense to take a left tackle that high. Passing on a RT or guard anywhere in the top 16 picks can't ever be a huge mistake.

def.. but the film I've watched on this guy... he can set the tone for entire line.. finishes strong... I wouldn't sleep on it

Yeah? Who's the highest paid guard in the league? What's the average pay of the top ten guards in the league? Who's the last guard who got a franchise tag? Has there ever been one?

Guards are amongst the lowest paid positions in the league, to go along with the safety and tight end positions our last idiot GM took in the first two rounds last year. Just kill me if they take a guard at #6.

I still get confused when people try to paint TE as a non-premium position. That position has absolutely blown up in the past decade.

Guard's a premium spot too - the top guys get paid and tons of recognition.

I don't support taking either position in the top 6, but that's mostly because a G isn't the best player.

Peat's the best OL prospect in this draft, if he enters.

true...but the dude is a beast

I usually agree with Slats on the guard in R1 thing, however, this kid is an absolute beast and the Jets sure could use a plug-and-play homerun in round 1 this year.

I think I want us to sign Iupati as a FA, then move down in R1, grab Jalen Strong, Melvin Gordon or Devante Parker in the late teens, and hopefully add another 2nd rounder to the mix so we can nab an BPA and a QB prospect in the 2nd round.

In theory, that gives us Iupati, lets say Devante Parker, Hundley and Gurley. Address CB via FA as well. I'd also be open to going CB instead of QB, in R2 depending on how we handle the QB position in FA/trade.

I usually agree with Slats on the guard in R1 thing, however, this kid is an absolute beast and the Jets sure could use a plug-and-play homerun in round 1 this year.

e.

there is something to be said about a leader setting the tone

I still get confused when people try to paint TE as a non-premium position. That position has absolutely blown up in the past decade.

Guard's a premium spot too - the top guys get paid and tons of recognition.

I don't support taking either position in the top 6, but that's mostly because a G isn't the best player.

Peat's the best OL prospect in this draft, if he enters.

That's the other guy I'm seeing in mocks, but later in R1. 

there is something to be said about a leader setting the tone

I'm 100% with you on that. I've just been thinking that at #6 we can probably move back and get more out of the first 2 rounds, and still get that veteran tone-setter on OL if we go balls out to sign Iupati.

I think I want us to sign Iupati as a FA, then move down in R1, grab Jalen Strong, Melvin Gordon or Devante Parker in the late teens, and hopefully add another 2nd rounder to the mix so we can nab an BPA and a QB prospect in the 2nd round.

Yep. I can dig this.

I'm 100% with you on that. I've just been thinking that at #6 we can probably move back and get more out of the first 2 rounds, and still get that veteran tone-setter on OL if we go balls out to sign Iupati.

when I saw the sh*tty roster Idzik put together , I made a conscious decision to watch cfb... this guy was the most dominate as his position that I've seen... ultimately my long standing belief is that you don't invest this kind of resource on interior line... but i'd be ok with it.. more so then brick

I'd prefer a tradeback.. but am I trigued by cooper.. he seems like he might not look dynamic but his trajectory is easily towards a Harrison type

when I saw the sh*tty roster Idzik put together , I made a conscious decision to watch cfb... this guy was the most dominate as his position that I've seen... ultimately my long standing belief is that you don't invest this kind of resource on interior line... but i'd be ok with it.. more so then brick

I'd prefer a tradeback.. but am I trigued by cooper.. he seems like he might not look dynamic but his trajectory is easily towards a Harrison type

Cooper would be a perfectly good pick IMO, too. If we stay put, I'd much rather see Scherff or Cooper. Everything I'm reading about Cooper is that he's a Roddy White, Anquan Boldin, Reggie Wayne type of player... I'd love that here. With the way the WRs are coming in as rookies and having impact, it would be another potential plug-and-play homerun for us. Across from Decker with Kerley or Harvin in the slot, just need a QB. I'm mostly curious to see where we can nab a veteran signal caller... for instance, if we hire McCagnan do we end up with a Case Keenum signing? They'll have Savage and Fitz there next year.

I'm really not high on Jameis, and think we have no shot at Mariota. 

I'm really not high on Jameis, and think we have no shot at Mariota.

not really high on either tbh... #6 calls for a safe but solid pick from new GM ..Can't swing snd miss at your first at bat ... cooper or the op fit the bill

I don't know squat about OL play but I can say after watching the video that I'm impressed at how this guy plays until the whistle every play.  He just kept on his man until the play was over.  In many of those plays, he had already knocked his man down and just finished the play off by falling on them.  Looked impressive to me.  I think Slats makes a good point about a G at #6 but he eventually can replace D'Brick at LT so maybe it's a worthy investment?  Or maybe we trade down a few spots and take him a few spots lower?

Archived