Brandon Scherff

KRL

yes seriously my brains are shot because I'm a Jets fan.

$50 to the Wounded Warrior Project that Rex is gone after this season. Deal? Loser has to make the donation in the name of "(winner) is much smarter at life than (loser)."

ill take that deal as it's a great cause. But I should be getting points or something equivalent.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting stat. That changes my perception a little regarding the OL, but I think we still need to invest there, for other reasons. Brick takes the biggest chunk of our salary cap next year and will need to be replaced at some point, Mangold may not be far behind and is #2 on the salary cap. Let's at least start the process now.

Also in order to win the big one its a different set of rules than when you play during the regular season. If you want to win you need to be rock solid in the trenches.

Bitonti is the guy that has always claimed "our OL isn't the problem" even when the OL was obviously the problem.  Bit's a good guy, but abhors the idea of drafting lineman high.  Our line was #2 my ass.  NFL.com has them ranked #9 and that's inflated because our QB wasn't allowed to throw so we piled up rushing stats galore.  The Jets have never replaced Faneca or Woody or even Moore adequately, plugging in JAGS like Wayne Hunter, Vlad Ducasse, Matt Slauson, Willie Colon, Brian Winters and Oday Oboushi.  Enough of the "our OL is fine" stuff...anyone with eyes could see it wasn't and hasn't been for quite some time.  Now, if you want to argue that OL is better addressed later in the draft, that's a legitimate opinion.  But no more of this Jets OL being 2nd ranked in the league drivel.  We all know better, I think.

no more of this Jets OL being 2nd ranked in the league drivel.  We all know better, I think.

the stat was the Jets were 2nd in the league in rushing. as an overall line they are probably in the 10-13 range. that sounds crazy but look at the other teams. It's all relative.  

QBs don't get all day to throw, no matter who the line is

Bitonti is the guy that has always claimed "our OL isn't the problem" even when the OL was obviously the problem.  Bit's a good guy, but abhors the idea of drafting lineman high.  Our line was #2 my ass.  NFL.com has them ranked #9 and that's inflated because our QB wasn't allowed to throw so we piled up rushing stats galore.  The Jets have never replaced Faneca or Woody or even Moore adequately, plugging in JAGS like Wayne Hunter, Vlad Ducasse, Matt Slauson, Willie Colon, Brian Winters and Oday Oboushi.  Enough of the "our OL is fine" stuff...anyone with eyes could see it wasn't and hasn't been for quite some time.  Now, if you want to argue that OL is better addressed later in the draft, that's a legitimate opinion.  But no more of this Jets OL being 2nd ranked in the league drivel.  We all know better, I think.

You're 100% correct. The difference between the Jet offenses that made the AFCCG and after, was mainly their ability to block.  That included OL and other positions.  After we lost to Pittsburgh in the AFCCG within the next two seasons we lost Woody, Moore, Slauson on the OL as well as LT, Tony Richardson, Hartsock, Braylon.  All of these guys were great blockers and helped protect Sanchez as well as helping our running game.   None of those guys were ever replaced and the Jets steadily declined.  We finally were able to shore up RT with Austin Howard which was a great acquisition, but Idzik comes in and doesn't resign him.  Colon was brought in to be a stop gap.  Aboushi looked good last year, but we'll need to see how he develops.  Our line has room for improvement and if we don't address it now it's only going to get worse.  People can point to whatever stats they want, but those are for the regular season, when it comes to the playoffs you don't get far without a top OL.  Take a look at how Peyton did against Seattle in the Superbowl last year when his protection broke down.  He looked almost as bad as Sanchez and Geno that game and we're talking about one of the most celebrated QBs of all time. 

The difference between the Jet offenses that made the AFCCG and after, was mainly their ability to block. 

Assuming all that is true, the hope is the Jets build a super bowl winner not a championship game loser. You can't win a title, hiding the most important player on the field. They should draft a QB even if it's a reach or whatever. Another year of Geno = Doom. 

You're 100% correct. The difference between the Jet offenses that made the AFCCG and after, was mainly their ability to block.  That included OL and other positions.  After we lost to Pittsburgh in the AFCCG within the next two seasons we lost Woody, Moore, Slauson on the OL as well as LT, Tony Richardson, Hartsock, Braylon.  All of these guys were great blockers and helped protect Sanchez as well as helping our running game.   None of those guys were ever replaced and the Jets steadily declined.  We finally were able to shore up RT with Austin Howard which was a great acquisition, but Idzik comes in and doesn't resign him.  Colon was brought in to be a stop gap.  Aboushi looked good last year, but we'll need to see how he develops.  Our line has room for improvement and if we don't address it now it's only going to get worse.  People can point to whatever stats they want, but those are for the regular season, when it comes to the playoffs you don't get far without a top OL.  Take a look at how Peyton did against Seattle in the Superbowl last year when his protection broke down.  He looked almost as bad as Sanchez and Geno that game and we're talking about one of the most celebrated QBs of all time. 

yeah getting rid of Howard was just plain dumb to save a few bucks - Breno sucks at RT

I think our line would have been much better as

Dbrick - Oday - Mangold - Colon - Hunter    maybe not tops but much better - we also need a better rounded TE who can actually block a blitzing LB\CB

the pass blocking was well above average. In fact Geno SMith had 4 seconds to throw (2nd in the league) through half a season. The passes weren't coming out quick enough.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Football-Geekery-Quicker-Passes-Needed/81de1b9e-dd24-4581-80b2-1e58c53a5680

It often seemed like Geno had to start running as soon as the ball was snapped. However, he was slow to make reads which, thinking back, made it seem worse than it really was. Good point. Still Brick and Mangold are on the wrong side of thirty and the other three are Garbage to average at best.

Assuming all that is true, the hope is the Jets build a super bowl winner not a championship game loser. You can't win a title, hiding the most important player on the field. They should draft a QB even if it's a reach or whatever. Another year of Geno = Doom. 

Draft and Sign a Free Agent QB agreed, and a real QB competition for a change.

yeah getting rid of Howard was just plain dumb to save a few bucks - Breno sucks at RT

I think our line would have been much better as

Dbrick - Oday - Mangold - Colon - Hunter    maybe not tops but much better - we also need a better rounded TE who can actually block a blitzing LB\CB

The way I look at it is after our second AFCCG, Tannenbaum destroyed the offense, then Idzik detroyed the defense.

Reaching at 6 is bad. Trading down from 6 is also largely terrible.

The way I look at it is after our second AFCCG, Tannenbaum destroyed the offense, then Idzik detroyed the defense.

I think Tanny let things go to his head and he started wheel in and deal in which got him into trouble.  Looking at the hard knocks whole restaurant scene it almost look like Tanny was high on the deal with adrenaline.  He got to the point where he was pushing for too many deals instead of being patient and let draft come to him.  What do you want he was a glorified accountant.

I think Tanny let things go to his head and he started wheel in and deal in which got him into trouble.  Looking at the hard knocks whole restaurant scene it almost look like Tanny was high on the deal with adrenaline.  He got to the point where he was pushing for too many deals instead of being patient and let draft come to him.  What do you want he was a glorified accountant.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he did have some older players on the roster. Woody, LT, Richardson, but when they signed Holmes to that contract they had to pillage the team to stay under the cap and it left them no money to sign anyone. The Holmes signing was the beginning of our downfall.

Archived