Former Jets' rave about Marrone

DaBallhawk

How can you compare Marrone's situation / actions to BB.

- Marrone had on opt clause in his contract that he can leave if the team changes owners

- BB signed a contract that he would become the HC of the NYJ once Parcells resigned. Period no strings attached.

- Marrone asked to commit to the Bills by asking for an extension from the new owners for him and his assistants.

-BB broke his contract.

What did BB do that was wrong? Like you said he had a contract with the team to take it over when Parcells stepped down, Parcells did not step down, he moved up to the GM slot after he said many time it was something he would not do. BB then quit.  Marrone left as he wanted control over the roster, the same thing that BB wanted. The only diff was that BB could not be a  HC  anywhere else. Marrone left his team for which he was the HC, BB just decided not to take the job.  leaving a team as the HC is not the same as not becoming one. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get all that, but as HC he won't be out there pushing the sled like he did 10 years ago.

Then he would be Rex.  lol

Who needs a guy to do that as a HC? Is it still a good sign that he learned from that era of his career/

Of course his offense was unimaginative, he did not have a qb that would allow a different one. Orton is not that type of QB that you build an offense around or ask that he do things he can't do. Both jackson and Spiller were only healthy for 1/2 of the season.

He seems to be decisive, from changing DCs, cutting Branch, making the Switch to Orton etc. How good he is as a game manager I don't know as he only played 3.5 games against the pats.

Orton is better than Geno and also every free agent QB this year. He ain't inheriting Joe Montana and he's already 0 for 1 at developing highly drafted QBs. A GM is not going to saddle his rookie head coach that has an offensive background with a first round QB that the coach does not believe he can work with or fits his system. He does not get a pass for Manuel just because he benched him.

I also remember reading when the Bills hired him that his teams at Syracuse were among the most run heavy teams in the NCAA. We just went through six years of ground and pound. I don't want a second helping. He's conservative because he's conservative. No, he's never had a great QB, but he's shown zero ability to develop one as well.

I think that point speaks more to the people in the "Rex Ryan should have been retained" camp. Many of the people who are upset about Rex being fired have stated on here that it would be BS to fire Rex just to hire Marrone. The solid answer to that is that Marrone owned Rex over his two seasons in Buffalo.

It's actually a very strong point.

I was certainly not in the keep Rex camp, but I may as well have been if this guy is the hire. Coaching style is too similar to Rex and basically every Jets coach since Parcells. I want a coach with balls, not a coach that will punt on 4th and 2 99% of the time.

I was certainly not in the keep Rex camp, but I may as well have been if this guy is the hire. Coaching style is too similar to Rex and basically every Jets coach since Parcells. I want a coach with balls, not a coach that will punt on 4th and 2 99% of the time.

THANK YOU 

Then he would be Rex.  lol

Who needs a guy to do that as a HC? Is it still a good sign that he learned from that era of his career/

Exactly my point; they're two different jobs, 

The guy that excels at mowing the lawn might not excel at running the landscape company. 

What did BB do that was wrong? Like you said he had a contract with the team to take it over when Parcells stepped down, Parcells did not step down, he moved up to the GM slot after he said many time it was something he would not do. BB then quit. Marrone left as he wanted control over the roster, the same thing that BB wanted. The only diff was that BB could not be a HC anywhere else. Marrone left his team for which he was the HC, BB just decided not to take the job. leaving a team as the HC is not the same as not becoming one.

The specifics were that BB would brcome HC when Parcells resigned as HC. There were no semantics stepping up or stepping down. Now I understand as you stated why BB quit however he had a contractual obligation to become HC of the NYJ no matter what direction Parcells went. If he was so concerned about being in the shadow of Parcells he should have negotited a clause in his contract giving him an out if certain circumstances existed or arose. Smart guy this Marrone.

Hiring Marrone will always put unneeded pressure if Rex stays in the division.  They will always be compared to each other.  I personally do not see any coach out there who will be an upgrade over Rex.   If we could make a run at a Coach Saban maybe we could justify getting rid of Rex but to put the former Bills coach against Rex if takes the Bills coaching gig could be a bad move from that aspect among other reasons.

Hiring Marrone will always put unneeded pressure if Rex stays in the division.  They will always be compared to each other.  I personally do not see any coach out there who will be an upgrade over Rex.   If we could make a run at a Coach Saban maybe we could justify getting rid of Rex but to put the former Bills coach against Rex if takes the Bills coaching gig could be a bad move from that aspect among other reasons.

It's the perfect ending for this franchise.  Pats dominated after we handed them BB and got Brady's career underway.  Now, as Brady's career has a few years left, Rex will sign with Buffalo and dominate there.  I don't say this because I liked Rex, I say it because it's just so fitting for this franchise.

It's the perfect ending for this franchise.  Pats dominated after we handed them BB and got Brady's career underway.  Now, as Brady's career has a few years left, Rex will sign with Buffalo and dominate there.  I don't say this because I liked Rex, I say it because it's just so fitting for this franchise.

I can't say I disagree.  The Jets needed to make changes but getting rid of Rex I think is a big mistake,  If we would have gotten an OC who would take the offense reigns, an upgrade at QB and a GM who has a better feel for player personal.

Is that the same Saban that had a 2 year losing record with the Fins and quit to go back to college??

I can't say I disagree. The Jets needed to make changes but getting rid of Rex I think is a big mistake, If we would have gotten an OC who would take the offense reigns, an upgrade at QB and a GM who has a better feel for player personal.

Its never WRECKS' fault..

Its the 3 OCs that he either approved (Schotty) or hired and loved ( Sparano and Mahty)

Its the QB (both turds loved by him)

Its the GMs

Its the color schemes in FlorhamPark

Its the quality of the goddam snacks in Cortland

All those things caused 12 losses this season. Thank.God we had his great coaching to win the other 4 and save us from an 0-16 season.

"Best 4 win team in NFL history"

Cimini is tight with Marrone. which is why he didn't break the news about him opting out, he had others do it.

Marrone coming here is good for Cimini.

So of course Manish hates it.

The agendas in the press box are disappointing.

I may not like Cimini at times, I despise Manish about 99% of the time.  Occasionally he'll put out a good article, but it's very rare.

The specifics were that BB would brcome HC when Parcells resigned as HC. There were no semantics stepping up or stepping down. Now I understand as you stated why BB quit however he had a contractual obligation to become HC of the NYJ no matter what direction Parcells went. If he was so concerned about being in the shadow of Parcells he should have negotited a clause in his contract giving him an out if certain circumstances existed or arose. Smart guy this Marrone.

I know what the specifics were regarding his contract. He should have negotiated a clause, because he didn't he had to refuse the job and for a period of 1 year not work anywhere else in coaching.  I wanted Kraft to wait the year and not give the jets anything while we transitioned under Crennel and Weis. But the point I was making was that BB never quit on the team, he never was the HC during a game, even a meeting. Marrone was the HC for two years and left.  It is no big deal, it is not like guys went to the Bills because he was the HC, like in college recruiting and the coach leaves. .

Its never WRECKS' fault..

Its the 3 OCs that he either approved (Schotty) or hired and loved ( Sparano and Mahty)

Its the QB (both turds loved by him)

Its the GMs

Its the color schemes in FlorhamPark

Its the quality of the goddam snacks in Cortland

All those things caused 12 losses this season. Thank.God we had his great coaching to win the other 4 and save us from an 0-16 season.

"Best 4 win team in NFL history"

Rex did get the most of his talent ..he is an innovator on defense which there are few just copy cats.  The QB's and OC's he had outside side of Schotty are garbage.   Rex could be second or third greatest coach in Jets history which is not saying much but he will be missed.

I know what the specifics were regarding his contract. He should have negotiated a clause, because he didn't he had to refuse the job and for a period of 1 year not work anywhere else in coaching.  I wanted Kraft to wait the year and not give the jets anything while we transitioned under Crennel and Weis. But the point I was making was that BB never quit on the team, he never was the HC during a game, even a meeting. Marrone was the HC for two years and left.  It is no big deal, it is not like guys went to the Bills because he was the HC, like in college recruiting and the coach leaves. .

True he just took the money from Hess and gave his word he would be the HC..

Frank Reich disagrees. Bills are going to hire him

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but I think that if Woody brings Marrone in here first - BEFORE hiring a GM - he has positioned himself (and us) for another disappointment. There are certain ways of doing things that are successful and it is a proven way to hire the GM and allow HIM to make the decision on the HC. Not hire the coach and 'HOPE' they are in lock step.

There's a reason that the Bills stepped up their interview to get in front of when the Jets interview him

Good...get him...Jets have no idea who their QB is going to be  next season...don't want to see a Rex defense feasting on Geno or some rook.

I think it was a just a bad situation in Miami and he regrets leaving.  My point in all this list is there are very few choices out there better then Rex Ryan so why make a change. 

Hey I like Rex also but his lack of attention to the offense was his down fall.. Plus when Woody said he never spoke up at meetings concerned me.. You can only play the good soldier so long he should have been fighting for the offense just as much as the defense..

When Jets players rave about Rex it is dismissed by the same people getting a stiffy over comments made by players who had some interaction with Marrone eight years ago.

Hypocracy is a badge of honor for some fans.. :winking0001: Hell Dan Quinn was loved by D players when he was Mangini's D-line coach..

Rex did get the most of his talent ..he is an innovator on defense which there are few just copy cats. The QB's and OC's he had outside side of Schotty are garbage. Rex could be second or third greatest coach in Jets history which is not saying much but he will be missed.

Let's just agree to disagree. You are a great Jet fan and STH with great seats too.

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but I think that if Woody brings Marrone in here first - BEFORE hiring a GM - he has positioned himself (and us) for another disappointment. There are certain ways of doing things that are successful and it is a proven way to hire the GM and allow HIM to make the decision on the HC. Not hire the coach and 'HOPE' they are in lock step.

if he has macgagnan or mueller lined up, they will gladly accept Mueller

Hey I like Rex also but his lack of attention to the offense was his down fall.. Plus when Woody said he never spoke up at meetings concerned me.. You can only play the good soldier so long he should have been fighting for the offense just as much as the defense..

Well, whose fault is that?

Rex hired them!

I agree with the you guys that Rex hired  the OC's. and ultimately was responsible   I just wish Woody would have had a competent GM force a quality OC run the offense.   It is hard to let a defensive innovator go.  All the coach's they are talking to are just ham and eggers,

Archived