Which comes first, cynical negative media or cynical negative fans?

Jetsfanri

Because candidly, we have both...

I am blown away at how negative the fan base is on every move we make. The bottom line is we have no idea who will have success or who will fail. Joe Torre was laughed at when hired by the Yankees...no one predicted his success.

So is this negative attitude of the fans a byproduct of the lack of championships or is it being fed by media types who get off on criticizing everything the team does? I find it kind of disturbing, local sports media is becoming Fox News vs MSNBC...you are either pro or con on every issue and there is no middle ground. More importantly, the media seems to have become the story, which is what journalism 101 says shouldn't happen. I mean, if Marrone is hired, how does he view Manish Mehta from day one...does he look at him and say "You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding"?

Maybe I'm too old school, but not a good situation imho.

Unfortunately most people don't / won't think for themselves so they have their

opinions formed by the media.  What we are seeing with the whole "Marrone mania"

is fascinating:

- He opts out of his contract and his agent "leaks" the Jet rumor to Schefter to

stir interest 

- From that point on there has been a split in the NY media on whether they

like or hate him.  On the "like" side is the Post, Cimini/ESPN, Schein and on 

the "hate" side is the Daily News, WFAN

It's just shameful how the media makes themselves the story

opinions formed by the media.  What we are seeing with the whole "Marrone mania"

is fascinating:

- He opts out of his contract and his agent "leaks" the Jet rumor to Schefter to

stir interest 

Great post.

is fascinating:

stir interest 

I find it fascinating. The split is clearly there. And now ex players are joining the fray

And this split thinking before anything happens on the field leads to people saying I told you so and people flying planes after 1 year of a GMs tenure and its and endless 3-5 year cycle that will never change with our jets.

That's why I think the best thing for the organization is to move away

I think the fan base is easily manipulated by the media.  They read and listen to guys like Mehta and Francessa who are just playing a role and they buy into it.

I find people that spend more time on message boards are much less likely to buy into the noise.

I get all my news and updates from here and find it the best resource for really understanding what's going on.

The guy is not BB, Parcels, Walsh, Reid or anyone else that will automatically come with a "pass". Fans and media are going to have divergent opinions on every candidate. The lack of success of the jets recently leads them open for a very critcal eye.  Are fans supposed to feel great about every candidate that the jets interview? I can see why some posters would want all the fans to get behind a guy when they were hired, but until they are the coach/GM of the team, fans should look at them with a critical eye as they have not yet done anything to dispel the concerns. 

I think the fan base is easily manipulated by the media.  They read and listen to guys like Mehta and Francessa who are just playing a role and they buy into it.

I find people that spend more time on message boards are much less likely to buy into the noise.

I get all my news and updates from here and find it the best resource for really understanding what's going on.

If your easily manipulated by the media your just as easily manipulated by the opinions of random posters here.

Dont you think there's a reason to be negative after the way the Jets performed after the last 4 years? its up to the Jets (specifically Woody Johnson) to make things right now. how positive does that make you feel? Im just going to wait and see and make my own opinion based on what happens.

Dont you think there's a reason to be negative after the way the Jets performed after the last 4 years? its up to the Jets (specifically Woody Johnson) to make things right now. how positive does that make you feel? Im just going to wait and see and make my own opinion based on what happens.

agree, u can be negative but in way that still shows you Bleed Green. Like a child that dissapoints you, you show anger etc, but still in their corner forever.

opinions formed by the media. What we are seeing with the whole "Marrone mania"

is fascinating:

stir interest

like or hate him. On the "like" side is the Post, Cimini/ESPN, Schein and on

Kay from YES is friends with Marrone. Funny how wfan hates him.

is fascinating:

stir interest 

Speaking of media. I would appeal to Max to let KRL be on retainer at Jets camp this year. He always did a fantastic job on the JI board for years.

All would wait anxiously to hear his take on camp and player evaluations.

Can you throw him a press pass? You won't regret it.

The guy is not BB, Parcels, Walsh, Reid or anyone else that will automatically come with a "pass". Fans and media are going to have divergent opinions on every candidate. The lack of success of the jets recently leads them open for a very critcal eye.  Are fans supposed to feel great about every candidate that the jets interview? I can see why some posters would want all the fans to get behind a guy when they were hired, but until they are the coach/GM of the team, fans should look at them with a critical eye as they have not yet done anything to dispel the concerns.

In fairness there was a time when Bellicheat, Parcells, Walsh,Lombardi or any great coach you coould name(Andy Freaking Reid, really?) was a nobody.

Firing Ryan was a a nobrainer.

We need to keep an open mind about what happens from here. I really don;t understand why anyone cares what douchebags like Lupica and Mehta think. Really to a point that fact that Mehta dislikes Marrone is almost a selling point, and based on some talk radio the last few days appears some people in the media think Mehta has gone way too far.A line has been crossed, and the Jets may be well within their rights to while not banning him limiting his access.

It is fair to acknowledge the owner so far has shown himself to be a fool. But doesn't mean he won't get things right this time. And Marrone or who ever and the new GM deserves to be judged on their own merits and on what they do from here.

Compare how the Jets are treated to other teams...say the Chiefs, or the Chargers, or the Bengals. All teams that have either never won a Super Bowl or won one about th same time the Jets did. The negative vibe surrounding the Jets is so much worse than these teams, it has to start somewhere.

Compare how the Jets are treated to other teams...say the Chiefs, or the Chargers, or the Bengals. All teams that have either never won a Super Bowl or won one about th same time the Jets did. The negative vibe surrounding the Jets is so much worse than these teams, it has to start somewhere.

It was way way way worse in 1995-1996. The Jets were constantly the common joke on sports center every week. That all changed in 1997.

The Woody owned Jets are more interested in back page headlines than winning a super bowl. When you constantly try and draw attention to yourself through the press and you're a bad football team these things happen. I don't see any of those teams craving the back page headlines like the Jets.

It was way way way worse in 1995-1996. The Jets were constantly the common joke on sports center every week. That all changed in 1997.

The Woody owned Jets are more interested in back page headlines than winning a super bowl. When you constantly try and draw attention to yourself through the press and you're a bad football team these things happen. I don't see any of those teams craving the back page headlines like the Jets.

Was it front page or back page news with that picture of you in Miami??

I am blown away at how negative the fan base is on every move we make. The bottom line is we have no idea who will have success or who will fail. Joe Torre was laughed at when hired by the Yankees...no one predicted his success.

So is this negative attitude of the fans a byproduct of the lack of championships or is it being fed by media types who get off on criticizing everything the team does? I find it kind of disturbing, local sports media is becoming Fox News vs MSNBC...you are either pro or con on every issue and there is no middle ground. More importantly, the media seems to have become the story, which is what journalism 101 says shouldn't happen. I mean, if Marrone is hired, how does he view Manish Mehta from day one...does he look at him and say "You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding"?

I dont think anyone here is expecting Superbowl everyyear. But in the NFL were the vast majority of teams are competitive -  Thats all I'm asking for with the annual hope of winning the Superbowl. Going into the season with ZERO hope of playoffs/Superbowl blows. 

This team was painful to watch for most of the year. We got blown out. Our offense couldn't move the ball 10 yards in the Buffalo/SD game.  By the end of the season even Ray Ray was upset with play. 

Give me a bunch of games to watch like the Patriots games this year. Sure we lost by 2 and 1 points but they were exciting games to watch for anyone and we were in it until the end. Games like that being in some sort of a race for a playoff spot yearly is all you can ask for as a fan.  

Jets deserve the cynicsm. Every move is shouted down because every major football decision made by woodys jets have been a fail.

Hmm. Some folks may think we are the same person.

First thing i thought. This 3 post guy must be the same as that 25 post guy

Welcome guys

I've been sooooo damn negative the last few months. In 30 years I've never been this type of fan, but I really had faith in Idzik and after that mid-season pressed I realized we were starting all over again, for the 2nd time in 2 years, and being competitive was another 3 years off... And I went off the deep end.

I really wanted Bowles and DeCosta and now it looks like Marone and that Houston douche (Casserly's piss boy) But I'm trying to hit the reset button and just think positive moving forward. Support whom ever we end up with and get back to enjoying football.

This is like free therapy, thank you LOL

I've been sooooo damn negative the last few months. In 30 years I've never been this type of fan, but I really had faith in Idzik and after that mid-season pressed I realized we were starting all over again, for the 2nd time in 2 years, and being competitive was another 3 years off... And I went off the deep end.

I really wanted Bowles and DeCosta and now it looks like Marone and that Houston douche (Casserly's piss boy) But I'm trying to hit the reset button and just think positive moving forward. Support whom ever we end up with and get back to enjoying football.

This is like free therapy, thank you LOL

Been through this cycle so many times its funny to me now. When/if jets ever win the big one it will be all upside. I expect trainwreck every year.

Been through this cycle so many times its funny to me now. When/if jets ever win the big one it will be all upside. I expect trainwreck every year.

I'm gunna ball like a 7 year old girl if they ever win it all. I am actually dreading the 2 weeks between the AFCCG and the SB, if we ever get that far. But with Woody as the owner I have nothing to worry about. DAMN! there I go again

Archived