The Answer to the Jets 2015 QB Problem...

The Troll

If I'm clueless then you are naïve. Teams don't just give up on young QB's after 2 years. I would not be surprised at all to see TB trade out of the #1 pick. Is Lovie willing to change the entre offensive system to accommodate

Marriota? Perhaps he will, but again I say what makes you think that the Bucs would jump at trading Glennon for a 4th round pick. Maybe we should wait and see who our GM is 1st.

Because they want "their" guy and they're idiots. Glennon only started five games and led them to half their wins, while throwing one less TD than McCown did all season. There's no logic behind how Tampa used their QBs this season, other than that the franchise is totally incompetent. Or they started tanking way earlier than the 2nd half of week 17. Regardless, why the hell would a 2-14 team that drafts a QB first overall be unwilling to part with a backup QB they have zero loyalty to? They wouldn't. Glennon is as good as gone.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Cut G-No. He stinks beyond stinking and will never be an NFL QB. Send Vick packing too (not even worth mentioning since it is a given )

2. sign a moderately competent vet who is an available FA. Moderately competent is 5 levels higher than G-No will ever be.

3. Draft a Petty or Grayson or Prescott with some possibility of development now that our QB killing Head Clown is no longer around

4. Let the MC vet and the rook and Simms compete in TC in an unrigged competition and let the winner start the season

Because they want "their" guy and they're idiots. Glennon only started five games and led them to half their wins, while throwing one less TD than McCown did all season. There's no logic behind how Tampa used their QBs this season, other than that the franchise is totally incompetent. Or they started tanking way earlier than the 2nd half of week 17. Regardless, why the hell would a 2-14 team that drafts a QB first overall be unwilling to part with a backup QB they have zero loyalty to? They wouldn't. Glennon is as good as gone.

Listen... you're obviously sold on the Jets trading a 4th to get Glennon. I don't think the Bucs want to deal with the Jets and take a 4th and watch him succeed(if that's possible) He costs less than McCown by $4.5.

Bucs may want to have that extra money in FA. Now if they sign a Sanchez or such and Love Marriota, then I guess they'll take a pick for Glennon.

Anyway... that's it. It's OK that we disagree. And I like your idea... just don't see it happening. TB got screwed with Revis deal

Guess we will have to wait until the Draft to find out if your right. We'll see if our new GM is on the same page as you.

THEY (the Bucs current regime) did not draft Glennon at all. What they did do is sign McCown to replace him, keep McCown as starter after Glennon outperformed him in preseason, and then went back to McCown after he healed from injury, despite Glennon leading them to a come from behind win over Pittsburgh.

Why are you even arguing about this? Your posts in this thread have shown that you are completely clueless about the Bucs and their QB situation. Use Google or ask Siri.

You are arguing something that we don't know the answer to, will the Bucks take a 4th round pick. But yet you call him clueless for disagreeing? That's not cool.

You are arguing something that we don't know the answer to, will the Bucks take a 4th round pick. But yet you call him clueless for disagreeing? That's not cool.

In my defense, he did say they were throwing to Mike Evans and "Stephen Jackson".

If the Bucs take Mariota, Glennon seems the odd man out for sure.  McCown has a little over $5M in guaranteed money coming his way in 2015, meaning they'd have to burn the same amount of cap space to get rid of him.  He slides into the "vet QB holding the fort" role for the franchise. 

Glennon, meanwhile, has 2 years left on his rookie deal and can be dealt easily.  Unless Tampa Bay sees fit to keep him around as the 3rd stringer, I see no reason why they wouldn't want to get something for him while he has value.

Agreed, but if they're anything like Woody, how the fan base views things carries weight.

I doubt their fan base was on board with starting McCown over Glennon, so I doubt they much care. And it's not like the Revis trade didn't get done because we fleeced them for Keyshawn. I don't think any teams think this way.

If the Bucs take Mariota, Glennon seems the odd man out for sure.  McCown has a little over $5M in guaranteed money coming his way in 2015, meaning they'd have to burn the same amount of cap space to get rid of him.  He slides into the "vet QB holding the fort" role for the franchise. 

Glennon, meanwhile, has 2 years left on his rookie deal and can be dealt easily.  Unless Tampa Bay sees fit to keep him around as the 3rd stringer, I see no reason why they wouldn't want to get something for him while he has value.

No Mcnowns 10 mill was not guaranteed, he go a 2 mill SB and the first year guaranteed.  Check out spotrac or similar. I think Vinateri is the only NFL player ever to get a multiyear contract fully guaranteed.

I think that's a great idea. We don't need journeymen QB's like Orton to come out retirement. Send a mid round pick, or, Quentin Coples to the Bucs for Glennon. Draft Bryce Petty in round 2, or, Hundley. Let Geno, Glennon, and Hundley fight it out. Draft Cooper rd 1.

I do think Glennon will be available. The new regime made it clear how they feel about him when they brought in McCown to be the starter. If (when!) they draft a new franchise QB with the #1 pick in the draft, they'll obviously prefer to have McCown around to mentor him over Glennon. Getting a pick for a player who'd they'd be planning to have inactive every week is good business.

For the Jets, I think they'd have to settle some things before they opt to pull the trigger...

First, they have to figure out what they're doing with Harvin. His salary is prohibitive, but the Jets have so much cap room and so few playmakers that the new regime might opt to keep him anyway. That would be a fourth rounder already burnt. If they let him go, they're still out the sixth rounder, and they'd have a deep hole at WR. They could fill that with another expensive free agent, or target a guy like Cooper in the draft.

Second, they'd have to come to the conclusion that Glennon is better than anyone they'd be able to get in the first couple rounds of the draft. That's very possible. The Jets are already down one pick for Harvin (thanks Idzik!), and a Glennon trade would drop them down to five picks. If I trade for Glennon, I'm not using another pick on a QB. I'd keep Geno and sign another scrubby vet, use my picks on all the other holes on the roster rather than a long shot at QB.

Third, they'd have to determine Glennon's value. I think if Tampa makes him available in a trade that the Jets wouldn't be the only team sniffing around him. If they keep Harvin, are they willing to trade their third rounder? It might take that anyway. Do they consider moving someone on the DL?

It's an intriguing idea overall, and one I'd hope the team would explore.

We need to find a QB of the future, not just a guy that is better than Geno.

I would take him if he was cut, but trading a 4th rounder for a guy that couldn't start on a team desperate for a QB is not a smart move. If you are talking a 6th/7th rounder, maybe.

That is not the case here. He both COULD and SHOULD have started. He outplayed McCown in both the pre and regular season. He didn't start because he wasn't brought in by their current regime. McCown was, and at decent coin.

I do think Glennon will be available. The new regime made it clear how they feel about him when they brought in McCown to be the starter. If (when!) they draft a new franchise QB with the #1 pick in the draft, they'll obviously prefer to have McCown around to mentor him over Glennon. Getting a pick for a player who'd they'd be planning to have inactive every week is good business.

For the Jets, I think they'd have to settle some things before they opt to pull the trigger...

First, they have to figure out what they're doing with Harvin. His salary is prohibitive, but the Jets have so much cap room and so few playmakers that the new regime might opt to keep him anyway. That would be a fourth rounder already burnt. If they let him go, they're still out the sixth rounder, and they'd have a deep hole at WR. They could fill that with another expensive free agent, or target a guy like Cooper in the draft.

Second, they'd have to come to the conclusion that Glennon is better than anyone they'd be able to get in the first couple rounds of the draft. That's very possible. The Jets are already down one pick for Harvin (thanks Idzik!), and a Glennon trade would drop them down to five picks. If I trade for Glennon, I'm not using another pick on a QB. I'd keep Geno and sign another scrubby vet, use my picks on all the other holes on the roster rather than a long shot at QB.

Third, they'd have to determine Glennon's value. I think if Tampa makes him available in a trade that the Jets wouldn't be the only team sniffing around him. If they keep Harvin, are they willing to trade their third rounder? It might take that anyway. Do they consider moving someone on the DL?

I know for a fact that the Rams were in discussions with TB last summer about Glennon. TB didn't pull the trigger for whatever reason. If Glennon is available there will be a few teams interested... not just the Jets

Again... let's get the GM and HC taken care of before all the trade scenarios start 3 months before the Draft.

I agree with all of this EXCEPT I think they should still use a mid-round pick on a QB, unless of course they get fleeced for Glennon (in which case we'll already have issues with our new GM selection).  Always keep adding QB's through the draft, even when you don't think you "need" them.  Cut Geno if we determine 3 QB's are enough.

I know for a fact that the Rams were in discussions with TB last summer about Glennon. TB didn't pull the trigger for whatever reason. If Glennon is available there will be a few teams interested... not just the Jets

Again... let's get the GM and HC taken care of before all the trade scenarios start 3 months before the Draft.

Last summer, he was their backup. This summer, he will be projected third string. They're trading him, but you are right, the Jets are not the only team that should be calling.

We can discuss whatever we'd like.  Certainly our GM/HC selections will help narrow down what we do at the QB position, but I would think Glennon would be a nice idea regardless of what the new regime looks like.  He's a big kid with a decent arm and he's put up pretty good numbers for a fellow bad franchise.  As the thread title suggests, he'd be of use to us in 2015 but not necessarily beyond.  A new regime trying to figure out what to do about all of our problems could definitely use a "stop-gap" QB option like Glennon.

We can discuss whatever we'd like.  Certainly our GM/HC selections will help narrow down what we do at the QB position, but I would think Glennon would be a nice idea regardless of what the new regime looks like.  He's a big kid with a decent arm and he's put up pretty good numbers for a fellow bad franchise.  As the thread title suggests, he'd be of use to us in 2015 but not necessarily beyond.  A new regime trying to figure out what to do about all of our problems could definitely use a "stop-gap" QB option like Glennon.

By all means. Let it never be said that I would try to suppress logical discussion.

Have at it. :beer_Orcish:

There is absoultely no reason why we shouldnt attempt a trade for glennon. Tall, Cannon, somewhat accurate. Most of all? the kid is not a proven loser, which means he gets a fresh start with us and has a chance to compete for/ push geno to the backup job.

There is absoultely no reason why we shouldnt attempt a trade for glennon. Tall, Cannon, somewhat accurate. Most of all? the kid is not a proven loser, which means he gets a fresh start with us and has a chance to compete for/ push geno to the backup job.

Glennon was 1-5 this year and 4-9 last year. He is as much of a winner/loser as Geno. Giving up a 4th rounder for a QB that was taken in the 3rd and isn't wanted by the team that drafted him is too high of a price. We shouldn't be in the business of stockpiling QBs that are simply "better than Geno."

Archived