Bowles

NCJETSFAN

Blech. Boring hire.

The pool of candidates is pretty blah this year.

That said, Bowles is the best of the bunch.

Big change of plans: #AZCardinals DC Todd Bowles will now head to #NYJ first, then talk with #Falcons. Question is will #Jets let him leave?

0 replies23 retweets5 favorites
 Retweet23
 Favorite5
More

Is this gonna be our guy???

They leap-frogged Atlanta, so I'd say he's probably going to be the guy we hire.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not exactly sure what on Bowles' resume enamors everyone, but I'm also not sure how this is anymore boring than, say, Quinn.

Aggressive no nonsense coach, who also gets the attention, respect, and best out of his players. Took over the last 2 games in Miami as HC after Sporano was let go for final 2 games, and team played hard for him, and if Parcells stuck around he probably would have gotten a legitimate shot at staying on as HC in Miami the following year.

I haven't seen a lot of Arizona's play this year, but in the playoff game I watched, the defense was playing panicked.  They were overpursuing and diving at the legs instead of wrapping and driving....I don't want that kind of D. 

Was that game an aberration?  If not, why the hell is everyone so high on this guy?  We've had a "generally hold them until we give up the big play" defense for the last couple of years.  Considering hiring Bowles just feels like more of the same to me.

Defense still has to rely on offense, and vice-versa. How dod you expect them to play with Lindley at freaking QB?

I haven't seen a lot of Arizona's play this year, but in the playoff game I watched, the defense was playing panicked.  They were overpursuing and diving at the legs instead of wrapping and driving....I don't want that kind of D. 

Was that game an aberration?  If not, why the hell is everyone so high on this guy?  We've had a "generally hold them until we give up the big play" defense for the last couple of years.  Considering hiring Bowles just feels like more of the same to me.

I think their defense tired out late in the season.  They were carrying the team after Carson Palmer went down, and ran out of gas.

I haven't seen a lot of Arizona's play this year, but in the playoff game I watched, the defense was playing panicked. They were overpursuing and diving at the legs instead of wrapping and driving....I don't want that kind of D.

Was that game an aberration? If not, why the hell is everyone so high on this guy? We've had a "generally hold them until we give up the big play" defense for the last couple of years. Considering hiring Bowles just feels like more of the same to me.

That D was playing to score touchdowns, their QB should be bagging groceries, and they some how kept that team in the game even thou the offense had I think under 100 yards of offense with the grocery bagger at QB.

@RapSheet: 2 years ago, Mike McCoy had a visit to #Chargers, then one with #AZCardinals. SD never let him leave town. Jets may do the same with Bowles

Wonder if McCoy & Bowles have the same agent. Sounds like agent is trying to get a team to finalize w/Bowles.

The offense will continue to be a joke.

And what is the other option that you have an opinion on that is better? The offense will continue to be a joke no matter who the head coach is because there is no starting caliber quarterback on the team. That has nothing to do with who the HC or OC is going to be.

The offense will continue to be a joke.

He coached for Bruce Arians, what makes you think he won't bring in a very good aggressive OC with him? I'm not saying he 100% will, but I can say it's better chance than if Rex was the HC. Yes we still need a QB, but so do 20 other teams, hopefully we find one SOON!

I think their defense tired out late in the season.  They were carrying the team after Carson Palmer went down, and ran out of gas.

That D was playing to score touchdowns, their QB should be bagging groceries, and they some how kept that team in the game even thou the offense had I think under 100 yards of offense with the grocery bagger at QB.

Thanks, guys.  That was sort of what I thought - we had that problem too in Revis' last year here, where he did give up a few big plays because he was trying to jump routes rather than just cover. 

I just want a coach who will rely on fundamentals rather than gimmicks.  What you said makes me worry a little less about Bowles in that respect.

I have a problem with the fact that we couldn't close the deal with Quinn if in fact he was our first choice...I'm not saying Boles is a bad choice but imo it's a bad sign once again if we couldn't land our first choice ...spin it any way you want.

Yeah, that'll happen to an offense that is on the field constantly. The 2 games of the last 6 of the season that Arizona won, the defense won for them. The defense is the only thing that gave them a chance down the stretch.

I have a problem with the fact that we couldn't close the deal with Quinn if in fact he was our first choice...I'm not saying Boles is a geri me choice but imo it's a bad sign once again if we couldn't land our first choice ...spin it any way you want.

The Denver job opening up screwed us. I don't like us getting the runner up coordinator at all.

"One league source with direct knowledge of the current hiring process describes Bowles as “very likely” to become the next coach of the Jets." 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/13/jets-falcons-emerging-as-the-finalists-for-todd-bowles/

I have a problem with the fact that we couldn't close the deal with Quinn if in fact he was our first choice...I'm not saying Boles is a bad choice but imo it's a bad sign once again if we couldn't land our first choice ...spin it any way you want.

I think you have to look at it like this... we'll never know who our first choice was.

If Bowles and Quinn are 1A and 1B, you take Bowles now. Why? Because we can steal him out from under the Falcons; because we lose if we're getting into a tug of war with Denver, Atlanta and San Fran; because hiring Bowles isn't also contingent upon hiring Kyle Shanahan.

I have absolutely no problem with either Bowles or Quinn becoming our next HC. I have had a sense that we liked Bowles a lot, given how we heard NOTHING about how his interview went, while we heard about every other one. The ones that matter always seem to get played close to the vest. 

I also think we legitimately have Tannenbaum being Quinn's agent working against us in that situation. Which is total bullsh*t, but we're talking about Roger Goofell's NFL here, so yeah... 

The Denver job opening up screwed us. I don't like us getting the runner up coordinator at all.

It may have... or maybe the Jets had Bowles as 1A and Quinn as 1B, and when Quinn was getting all the buzz from other teams, Woody flip-flopped them. There's really no way to tell, but I do know this as fact: 6 weeks ago it was Bowles that everyone was talking about as the top coordinator-to-headcoach candidate, not Quinn. In fact, of the Seattle coordinators, it wasn't even Quinn as #1, it was Bevell.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 35m35 minutes ago

Jets HC candidate Todd Bowles will meet with Mike Maccagnan when he arrives in NJ tonight for 2nd interview, per source. #nyj

Unlike what was reported yesterday, the Jets will meet with Bowles prior to the Falcons.  I really like Bowles, I wonder if they give him an offer.

Apparently the Jets jumped in front of them.

It may have... or maybe the Jets had Bowles as 1A and Quinn as 1B, and when Quinn was getting all the buzz from other teams, Woody flip-flopped them. There's really no way to tell, but I do know this as fact: 6 weeks ago it was Bowles that everyone was talking about as the top coordinator-to-headcoach candidate, not Quinn. In fact, of the Seattle coordinators, it wasn't even Quinn as #1, it was Bevell.

I hope they make him an offer.  I think is the most solid candidate.

I think you have to look at it like this... we'll never know who our first choice was.

If Bowles and Quinn are 1A and 1B, you take Bowles now. Why? Because we can steal him out from under the Falcons; because we lose if we're getting into a tug of war with Denver, Atlanta and San Fran; because hiring Bowles isn't also contingent upon hiring Kyle Shanahan.

I have absolutely no problem with either Bowles or Quinn becoming our next HC. I have had a sense that we liked Bowles a lot, given how we heard NOTHING about how his interview went, while we heard about every other one. The ones that matter always seem to get played close to the vest.

I also think we legitimately have Tannenbaum being Quinn's agent working against us in that situation. Which is total bullsh*t, but we're talking about Roger Goofell's NFL here, so yeah...

Tannenaum is no longer Quinn's agent.

I think the fact that they jumped ahead of Atlanta means Bowles is the guy they really want.  

We'll see where these Bowles rumors go, at this point I doubt everything these
reporters are "tweeting" out.  I had Quinn and Bowles at the top of my list from
the beginning so I'm fine with either one.  I'm sure there will be people that
"bash" the team because "they didn't get their first choice".  But we don't know
how the search team ranked the candidates.  On top of that what if Maccagnan came
in and said he wanted to hire Bowles.  Are we now going to complain because the
GM actually selected his own coach???

All good points, I just hope being around Arians exposed him to the importance of offense .

Archived