Enough about an Offensive HC

prime21

Let the best prospective coach for the job win. Too many people are concerned that we may hire another defensive minded coach. Last I checked the last 3 super bowl winners were defensive teams...Seattle, Baltimore and NYG. Peyton, Brady and Kap didn't look to good in those games. If it's a defensive minded HC then so be it. Offensive HC, so be it. I'm glad Woody has some football advisors helping out. Cassely and Wolf aren't fortune tellers nor Lomabardi but they are good football guys that will make the best suggestion to Woody from what's available. And let's not forget that what's available right now is pretty average at best. Hopefully one of them will be good enough to steer us in the right direction. These guys sit and interview candidates for hours and speak to many people that have worked with them. We sit here and read an article on someone and just blast away saying "this guy is an idiot, we cannot hire him". We are entitled to our opinions and I for one would prefer "this guy" over "that guy" but at the end of the day I'm going to throw 100 percent support for who ever is hired and cross my fingers.

Let the best prospective coach for the job win. Too many people are concerned that we may hire another defensive minded coach. Last I checked the last 3 super bowl winners were defensive teams...Seattle, Baltimore and NYG. Peyton, Brady and Kap didn't look to good in those games. If it's a defensive minded HC then so be it. Offensive HC, so be it. I'm glad Woody has some football advisors helping out. Cassely and Wolf aren't fortune tellers nor Lomabardi but they are good football guys that will make the best suggestion to Woody from what's available. And let's not forget that what's available right now is pretty average at best. Hopefully one of them will be good enough to steer us in the right direction. These guys sit and interview candidates for hours and speak to many people that have worked with them. We sit here and read an article on someone and just blast away saying "this guy is an idiot, we cannot hire him". We are entitled to our opinions and I for one would prefer "this guy" over "that guy" but at the end of the day I'm going to throw 100 percent support for who ever is hired and cross my fingers.

Agreed!  The other phrase I hear is that the NFL is a passing league.  It's simply not true and you stated some perfect examples in the name of Peyton, Brady and Kap that prove it.  In 2013 Seattle had the #4 rushing offense, and #26 passing offense, yet they destroyed the Broncos with Defense and the Run game.   So there you have it, they won the big one with defense and ground and pound on offense.  This year they were the #1 Rushing/#27 Passing Offense. 

I think alot of these folks just take the position which is anti Rex because they wanted to get rid of him and don't want another person like him.  It's interesting that Quinn is being pursued much more than Bevell, because folks know that Seattle's secret to sustainable success is Defense and Ground & Pound.

It's definitely not the "wrong path" to go the defensive guy route.  It's just that the last three HC failures ALL were defense guys, so that's left a bad taste in our mouth.  As long as our next HC has these qualities it doesn't matter what side of the ball he comes from:

1.  Ability to hire a quality OC.  No Sparano's.

2.  Ability to step in when coordinator on either side is doing poorly.  Rex never did this on the offensive side of the ball.

3.  Have the stones to make QB changes when need be.

And yes, its true that the Seahawks succeed with ground and pound.  But Russell Wilson is one of the best "game manager" QB's in the NFL who also has the ability to elevate his play when his team needs him to (which makes him a step ahead of Alex Smith in my eyes). 

If we're going to stick with a defense and run-first approach with our new regime, we still need to allocate as many resources as we can to bring in a sure-handed QB whose best quality isn't finding new and creative ways to turn the ball over.  In short, the anti-Sanchez/Geno.

Granted, good defensive teams have an advantage in 1 or 2 playoff games.

But no matter how good their defense, poor offensive teams won't even get to the playoffs over a 16 game regular season.

Today's NFL is a passing league, not some kind of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, 1950's offense.

Granted, good defensive teams have an advantage in 1 or 2 playoff games.

But no matter how good their defense, poor offensive teams won't even get to the playoffs over a 16 game regular season.

Today's NFL is a passing league, not some kind of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, 1950's offense.

People act like passing is a new concept.. The reason I became a Titan fan in 1960 was the wide open passing game the AFL featured. in 1967 in his 4,000 yd season Namath had close to 500 pass attempts in a 14 game season Maynard avg over 20 yds a catch.. In Supe III however it was Snell's running and the Jets D that shut down the high power Colt team..

People act like passing is a new concept.. The reason I became a Titan fan in 1960 was the wide open passing game the AFL featured. in 1967 in his 4,000 yd season Namath had close to 500 pass attempts in a 14 game season Maynard avg over 20 yds a catch.. In Supe III however it was Snell's running and the Jets D that shut down the high power Colt team..

Isn't that exactly what I said in my post??????

BTW, reason why Snell was so good that day was because of Winston Hill.

Hill totally dominated that day.

I just want a guy who plays to win instead of not to lose.  I saw it with Kubiak's calls in the Steeler game, and I saw it last nite with Garrett going for it on 4th down with the game on the line. I guess I'm sick of playing for FG's in the red zone because everyone's afraid of Geno messing up. Once that mindset takes over it's nearly impossible to get rid of it.

It's time for an offensive minded coach. Doesn't mean he can't run the Ball and it doesn't mean he can't be a well rounded coach who cares about both equally. We can't have a coach who thinks we can dominate in this league winning every game in the 4th 13-10. We need to score points.

I personally want an offensive coach. The guy I'd want is Helfrich from Oregon. I want that Chip Kelly offense here.

He may be green and I don't care. I'd obviously prefer Kelly but he's employed. Helfrich is the next best option.

It's time for an offensive minded coach. Doesn't mean he can't run the Ball and it doesn't mean he can't be a well rounded coach who cares about both equally. We can't have a coach who thinks we can dominate in this league winning every game in the 4th 13-10. We need to score points.

I personally want an offensive coach. The guy I'd want is Helfrich from Oregon. I want that Chip Kelly offense here.

He may be green and I don't care. I'd obviously prefer Kelly but he's employed. Helfrich is the next best option.

And then we can bring Sanchez back to run it!

Love the ground and pound but u need the defense to back that up.  Quinn is good but he does have some good players on the field that make those schemes work.   

granted seahawks were #1 in rushing offense, but more importantly they were 10th in points scored. Pair that with the #1 scoring defense (least points allowed) and that is why they win. So absolutely, running the ball is important, but you also need an offense that can score points.

While I generally agree with the overall premise, I think considering how inept the offense has been, that getting an offensive guy in here would be a nice change of pace. I'd like to see some points scored.

The Jets don't necessarily need an offensive coordinator as the next head coach, but a guy who understands the basics of the modern NFL and doesn't xompletelt ignore one side of the ball would be great.

The Jets don't necessarily need an offensive coordinator as the next head coach, but a guy who understands the basics of the modern NFL and doesn't xompletelt ignore one side of the ball would be great.

I dont think there is a coach in the NFL that ignores 1 of the 3 phases.  Its a fun thing to say because Rex had success on defense and didnt on offense but it wasnt from a lack of effort.  They tried to fix the offense, he just couldnt pick the right coach and players to do it...but thats an old boring conversation. 

There is a common misconception on this site that we should be able to find coaches who know both sides equally.  This coach, doesnt actually exist. You earn your stripes and receive promotions because of you're expertise on one side of the ball.  You spend you're entire career their until the day you're hired a Head Coach.   Nobody is expecting you to become an expert on offense if you were a DC.  The expectation is finding the coach who can handle that other phase.  

So in that case, you're right...they dont need an offensive coordinator, but they need to hire someone who can find one.  I'd just prefer they find a guy who can coach offense this time around because the offense has been horrendous for a long long time....then worry about finding his DC.

What I really find interesting is the amount of coaches who are hired for their expertise on one side and they ended up winning because of the other. Like Arians in Arizona...offensive guy, winning on D.  Harbaugh, offensive guy, won on D.  Marrone, offensive guy won on D.  Mike Smith, former DC who won on offense.  Caldwell OC, won on D. McCoy, been winning on D. Reid, winning on D. 

So who really knows?  I'd just like to see some points scored and think its probably easier to get that out of a guy who knows his way around an offensive playbook. 

Archived