in picking the right GM/HC.  He had a good press conference which showed he
had a decent handle on the problems plaguing the team.  And by sticking to the
plan Casserly/Wolf have laid out he's been able to expose the media for the
frauds they are.  Because the two big "rumors" the media wanted to stamp the
team with (Woody firing Idzik and letting the new GM deal with Ryan & "Marrone
Mania") have been proven to be garbage

- I have no idea who'll be the HC but one guy I would be interested in as an
OC candidate would be Marc Trestman.  Bad job as a HC in CHI but he did a great
job with Josh McCown when Cutler went down.  Also hoping Vic Fangio could be our
DC if he shakes loose in SF

- Impressive performance by Teryl Austin (DET DC) yesterday I wonder if he'll
get added to our HC list  

- With all the candidate names floating around I'm shocked there hasn't
been a peep about David Shaw (Stanford HC).  I wonder if he made it known
that he's not interested in moving to the pros right now

- Love how the NY media split when "Marrone Mania" broke.  Half were "haters"
the other half were "fan boys" it exposed that all they're concerned with is
pushing their opinions/personal agendas.  Not reporting news

Good post KRL. In order  1) totally agree...Woody finally learning. 2)Trestman had Cutler albatross to deal with...probably gets a pass. If Marrone the guy, would not mind Schwartz as DC if doable. 3)Maybe not here, but definitely somewhere.4) Seems like real bright guy. Surprised Gary Patterson from TCU never mentioned. 5) No more reporters...they are all 'editorialists"

- Good job by Woody over the past month.  He's been decisive in making up

his mind about firing Idzik/Ryan.  He's sought out good counsel to assist him

in picking the right GM/HC.  He had a good press conference which showed he

had a decent handle on the problems plaguing the team.  And by sticking to the

plan Casserly/Wolf have laid out he's been able to expose the media for the

frauds they are.  Because the two big "rumors" the media wanted to stamp the

team with (Woody firing Idzik and letting the new GM deal with Ryan & "Marrone

Mania") have been proven to be garbage

- I have no idea who'll be the HC but one guy I would be interested in as an

OC candidate would be Marc Trestman.  Bad job as a HC in CHI but he did a great

job with Josh McCown when Cutler went down.  Also hoping Vic Fangio could be our

DC if he shakes loose in SF

- Impressive performance by Teryl Austin (DET DC) yesterday I wonder if he'll

get added to our HC list  

- With all the candidate names floating around I'm shocked there hasn't

been a peep about David Shaw (Stanford HC).  I wonder if he made it known

that he's not interested in moving to the pros right now

- Love how the NY media split when "Marrone Mania" broke.  Half were "haters"

the other half were "fan boys" it exposed that all they're concerned with is

pushing their opinions/personal agendas.  Not reporting news

I'm equally surprised, and admittedly disappointed, that no names from college are surfacing (other than Brian Kelly who was brought up by detectivekimble, and nothing has substantiated it).

Listening to Boomer and Carton this morning, Boomer was really talking up Frank Reich, I know he mentioned they were college roommates so he's a bit biased but he was really talking up Reich as an offensive genius.

Yes...played at Maryland in the same period.

Frank Reich for HC 2015-2016

Why dont we wait to let him be an OC first. He literally was selling land here in Charlotte in 2006.  I like the guy, smart etc... but experience is important too.

Listening to Boomer and Carton this morning, Boomer was really talking up Frank Reich, I know he mentioned they were college roommates so he's a bit biased but he was really talking up Reich as an offensive genius.

Boomer is as bitter as they come, and Carton is a jagaloon. 

Didn't Boomer tell Reich not to come to NY?

Agrred on all counts.

Glad we havent done the knee jerk signings.

let the process play out, interview everybdoy, then make the solid gm choice first, hopefully, then bring in the candidates for HC for the GM to assess and see if they are a fit.

Im anxious to get a guy in here, but it's for the best if we can let the process play out fully...

Yes...played at Maryland in the same period.

Why dont we wait to let him be an OC first. He literally was selling land here in Charlotte in 2006.  I like the guy, smart etc... but experience is important too.

I don't want an offensive or defensive savant as head coach, we kind of just had that, and it'll leave us wanting for better presence as an actual head coach. If we can find a guy that can be the captain, and also happens to have a bit of savant in him, that'd be ideal... but over-promoting people because of their "genius" in one phase of the game is uuuuugghhhhhhh....

Reich is interesting, initially I thought he was a little light in experience (only one year

as an OC).  But Tomlin was also only a DC for one year when PIT hired him to replace

Cowher.  It would be interesting to hear what his plan would be for Smith and our offense

I'm equally surprised, and admittedly disappointed, that no names from college are surfacing (other than Brian Kelly who was brought up by detectivekimble, and nothing has substantiated it).

Me three.

That's the big selling factor for Marrone right now, the fact that he has head coaching experience and hasn't been fired as a head coach, but I was really hoping a name from the college ranks looking to take the next step would've been in the mix.

I'm not excited about Marrone, and I'm not excited about any of these coordinators, either. So far, Quinn is probably my favorite.

Me three.

That's the big selling factor for Marrone right now, the fact that he has head coaching experience and hasn't been fired as a head coach, but I was really hoping a name from the college ranks looking to take the next step would've been in the mix.

I'm not excited about Marrone, and I'm not excited about any of these coordinators, either. So far, Quinn is probably my favorite.

Name 3 great college coaches that worked in the NFL over the past 10 years.

I'll get you started:

1. Harbaugh

I know Pep Hamilton (Colts OC) was mentioned for one of the other HC vacancies. I wonder why Woody hasn't gone in that direction and asked for an interview.

That the name I want to hear, I'm just hoping his name hasnt been thrown around because his team is advancing through the playoffs. 

Me three.

I was actually hoping we get coordinators and/or some position coaches from up and coming college ranks.  most teams dont have a stagnant coaching staff as they are constantly losing them to other teams.  So I think it is important to keep feeding the well from those ranks much like the draft for players.

Then you keep up on intel of college players.

That the name I want to hear, I'm just hoping his name hasnt been thrown around because his team is advancing through the playoffs. 

This. Plus, I have to wonder if teams are being coy... they are all letting it be known they are interviewing the same people, but I've got to imagine that they have unique prospects in mind as well. I really find it hard to believe that 5-6 guys are the only candidates for every team with an opening.

Name 3 great college coaches that worked in the NFL over the past 10 years.

I'll get you started:

1. Harbaugh

Pete Carroll won the SB last year.

Chip Kelly is everyone's biggest hero in the NFL who has never won anything but his offense definitely "works" in the NFL.

Doug Marone got the Bills to their first winning record since 1999. 

And thats where it ends...but there also hasnt been nearly as many hires from the college ranks lately as there have been in the past.  Those 4 are the only 4 I can think of that have been hired from college in the last 5 years.

I know Pep Hamilton (Colts OC) was mentioned for one of the other HC vacancies. I wonder why Woody hasn't gone in that direction and asked for an interview.

I'd be skeptical of the coordinator who has Andrew Luck QB'ing for him.

This. Plus, I have to wonder if teams are being coy... they are all letting it be known they are interviewing the same people, but I've got to imagine that they have unique prospects in mind as well. I really find it hard to believe that 5-6 guys are the only candidates for every team with an opening.

Bowls game ended last night, playoffs are still going on...more names will start being thrown around.  

I'd be skeptical of the coordinator who has Andrew Luck QB'ing for him.

Why?

Pete Carroll won the SB last year.

Chip Kelly is everyone's biggest hero in the NFL who has never won anything but his offense definitely "works" in the NFL.

Doug Marone got the Bills to their first winning record since 1999. 

And thats where it ends...but there also hasnt been nearly as many hires from the college ranks lately as there have been in the past.  Those 4 are the only 4 I can think of that have been hired from college in the last 5 years.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. These guys are working out, that Coughlin guy has done okay, too.

The Jets haven't won a championship in a really long time. Most of their coaches are first time head coaches, and none of them have won a championship. They've had opposite spectrum success with retreads (Kotite, Parcells). They haven't gone the college route since the original Kotite (Lou Holtz), but I think enough time has passed that they could try that again. I really like the idea of hiring a guy with head coaching experience, and the college ranks is a good place to get that if you don't want someone who's already been fired at the NFL level.

Why?

Because it's really hard to say how much coaching ability a guy has when he has the pleasure of a once in a generation QB prospect running his offense. The Jets aren't going to have Andrew Luck at QB. Mike Glennon's name is being thrown around as a possible best option. If I'm looking at offensive coaches, a guy who's done more with less would be my preference.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. These guys are working out, that Coughlin guy has done okay, too.

The Jets haven't won a championship in a really long time. Most of their coaches are first time head coaches, and none of them have won a championship. They've had opposite spectrum success with retreads (Kotite, Parcells). They haven't gone the college route since the original Kotite (Lou Holtz), but I think enough time has passed that they could try that again. I really like the idea of hiring a guy with head coaching experience, and the college ranks is a good place to get that if you don't want someone who's already been fired at the NFL level.

I actually started to think about it more...it really hasnt been a popular trend in the NFL lately.  Probably because of the low success rate but before Carroll, I cant honestly remember the last college HC that tried their hand in the NFL before him (Harbaugh, Kelly, Marrone were later).

Was it Saban?  There has to be another guy hired and fired before then...because as of now, Kelly and Carroll are the only 2 active Head Coaches in the league to come straight from college to their respective team (Coughlin was with the Jags first).

Bill O'Brien...he just came to mind.  Duh. Scott's boy from Penn State.  First year took a 2-14 team to 9-7.

Thats it though, 3 coaches currently in the league went straight from college to their current team.

Because it's really hard to say how much coaching ability a guy has when he has the pleasure of a once in a generation QB prospect running his offense. The Jets aren't going to have Andrew Luck at QB. Mike Glennon's name is being thrown around as a possible best option. If I'm looking at offensive coaches, a guy who's done more with less would be my preference.

Understandable, but the coach you're looking for doesnt exist.  Kind of the debate we've been having hear since, well, forever.  You need the QB. Nobody in the NFL is making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t at the QB position.  Some HC coaches can win despite their QB play (Rex Ryan, Bruce Arians) but they are few and far between.

Who's an OC that is getting more out of their offense than expected?   I'd say Bill O'Brien is doing that with the Texans...but I dont even think he employs an OC?  Could be wrong.

Pep runs an innovative, down field, big play, offense and has been crucial in getting that installed.  Sure, he benefits from the QB, just like all successful OC's in the NFL but that offense isnt just all Luck.  Ever notice how many times he finds guys wide-open down field?  Pep schemes guys open as well as anyone in the NFL.

Pep runs an innovative, down field, big play, offense and has been crucial in getting that installed.  Sure, he benefits from the QB, just like all successful OC's in the NFL but that offense isnt just all Luck.  Ever notice how many times he finds guys wide-open down field?  Pep schemes guys open as well as anyone in the NFL.

he has good root trees?

Well it could also be reversed to - How much is A Luck benefiting having an excellent OC in Hamilton? 

Well it could also be reversed to - How much is A Luck benefiting having an excellent OC in Hamilton?

Lol, no. Luck was probably the best QB prospect to come out of school since Elway.

I'm not saying he'd be a bad coach, just saying I'd be skeptical. I'm pretty confident Luck would make Sparano look like a quality OC.

I love this thread. And to piggy back the original post. So far the fact that Woody even hired a team and isn't just firing from the hip is a good sign. If I remember correctly we hired Rex rather quickly back in 2008. It's good to take our time and get it right. This is by far the most positive thing to happen to our franchise in a while. Woody brought on respected NFL execs and cleaned house at the right time. We have a high draft pick, Great Cap space and most of all a Quarterback who shows flashes of pro bowl potential once a season, almost always against the Fish on Week 17 when we're out of playoff contention

Archived