Stepping Through The Media Coverage

KRL

Be prepared we are now in the:

"Why is it taking so long to find a GM/HC?  No one wants the jobs"

phase of the media coverage of our searches.  I mean it's been all of a WEEK,
obviously Woody has screwed up the process.  Don't be shocked it's the
"logical step" the media will follow to continue the bashing of the team.
Let's step through the other phases:

"Fire Idzik, Poor Rex" phase
- Where Idzik is hammered on a daily basis and Rex's faults are excused
because he gives the media easy copy

"Rumors Before The Firings" phase
- Where a totally unfounded rumor is spread as fact.  Remember the "Woody is
going to fire Idzik and let the new GM deal with Rex" garbage???

"Pick On Woody" phase
- Where after the firings occur the media was eagerly waiting to destroy Woody
at the press conference.  But he shocked them by showing he was in charge and
had a plan going forward

"Everyone Will Want Rex As a HC" phase
- Where the media campaigns for Rex to get one of the open jobs

"Question The Dual Interview Process" phase
- Where the parallel process of interviewing GM/HC candidates is questioned.
Of course they totally ignore the restrictions the NFL puts on talking to
coaches involved in the playoffs

"Pick On Casserly" phase
- Where Casserly is viewed as the "evil mastermind" moving the searches in the
direction of his candidates

"Personal Attack" phase
- Where Marrone (the anti-Rex) is attacked daily on a personal level because
some don't like him

This leads to today where you'll start to see every story slanted with a tone that

no one wants the jobs.  You're already seeing it with some GM candidates even

though three (Paton, DeCosta, Pace) of them aren't interviewing ANYWHERE

and the fourth (Ballard) seems to already have the CHI job

No team with a vacancy has hired a coach or GM yet. If anyone is thinking "no one wants the Jets job" because we haven't hired anyone yet, they need to get a grip on reality.

And Marrone is not "the anti-Rex". I hate him as a coach because his conservative nature and lack of talent developed on the offensive side is too much LIKE REX.

i.e. he chose the Bears over the Jets. I'm all for media bashing but they might have a point about the attractiveness of this particular job, among those who have other choices.

Ballard was in the Chicago front office for over a decade before leaving to Chiefs two years ago. Why would he not choose the Bears? That says nothing about the potential attractiveness of this job.

Yep. Woody hasn't hired anyone because no one wants the job. Never mind the fact that other teams haven't filled their openings yet, either. That doesn't fit the narrative.

Of the people who have turned us down, only one (Ballard) is actually interviewing elsewhere, and that's with the team that he started and spent much of his career with. So he has strong ties to that organization. The others are not interested in leaving where they are.

i.e. he chose the Bears over the Jets. I'm all for media bashing but they might have a point about the attractiveness of this particular job, among those who have other choices.

Can't really blame a GM for not wanting to come here after the way the last one was so unfairly treated by the media, fans and most importantly the owner.

Can't really blame a GM for not wanting to come here after the way the last one was so unfairly treated by the media, fans and most importantly the owner.

Too bad that there's no evidence of that actually happening. Would make for a fascinating narrative.

These GM candidates (and Coaches) all know what the NFL deal is. And they knew the '13 Jets GM process included keeping Rex.

Any prospective GM who thinks they can't do a better job than John Idzik doesn't deserve to be a GM.

Exactly. I'm really not interested in candidates worried about what NY will do to them if it turns out that they suck.

Any prospective GM who thinks they can't do a better job than John Idzik doesn't deserve to be a GM.

Any legitimate football person understands Idzik was treated about as poorly as a GM could be.  Moreover, they'll also understand he didn't do nearly as poor a job as most are making it out to be.  He made some mistakes but also did a lot of good.

Yes.. I want the guy who is worried about what happens to him if he's the worst GM in NFL history

Any legitimate football person understands Idzik was treated about as poorly as a GM could be.  Moreover, they'll also understand he didn't do nearly as poor a job as most are making it out to be.  He made some mistakes but also did a lot of good.

Nope

Guy stunk, and fielded one of the worst rosters in football for 2 years, drafted like sh*t, and kept 25M on the sideline while leaving us with no CB's..

he was an abomination

Except he wasn't really given a legitimate chance to succeed.

Bleh. I'm not rehashing the Idzik argument. In my opinion, he was very fairly fired. He was a poor candidate who demonstrated himself to be a poor GM.

With no head coach or other restrictions forced down the new GM's throat, they're getting much higher qualified candidates this time around. It's the right move for the franchise no matter how sad you may personally feel for Idzik. He was out of his depth.

Except he wasn't really given a legitimate chance to succeed.

He took the job, knowing that keeping Rex was required. Then he decided to keep Rex another year, which made Rex his coach ("This is our coach" - John Idzik last year)

His free agents have largely been bad, some embarrassingly so. His draft picks, save for one, have been atrocious.

The banners and billboards were silly. No argument from me there. That said, please explain what good he did.

He took the job, knowing that keeping Rex was required. Then he decided to keep Rex another year, which made Rex his coach ("This is our coach" - John Idzik last year)

His free agents have largely been bad, some embarrassingly so. His draft picks, save for one, have been atrocious.

The banners and billboards were silly. No argument from me there. That said, please explain what good he did.

As Slats stated..I really don't want to rehash the Idzik argument anymore ...

But even if you say he deserved to be fired - the way it was handled was just downright disrespectful, classless and most importantly unprofessional - and you're fooling yourselves if you don't think every potential GM candidate will take that into consideration when looking at this job.

But even if you say he deserved to be fired - the way it was handled was just downright disrespectful, classless and most importantly unprofessional - and you're fooling yourselves if you don't think every potential GM candidate will take that into consideration when looking at this job.

What was unprofessional about his firing? He finished out the year, and was let go the day after the season ended. Standard operating procedure for any team in the league.

The organization had nothing to do with the billboards and plane banners. Blame a stupid fan base, not the team.

I'm not going to sit here and say he did a good job...but he had some remarkably bad luck.

1.  Freak Millner Injury:  Jury is still out on him, it's not like he access to tissue scans of this guys muscles...no way he could predict this injury happening.

2.  McDougle Injury:  The plan was for this kid to start.  He was a riser in the draft from what I remember with really good leadership qualities....again....really couldn't see this coming either.  Jury is still out here too

3.  Shaq Injury:  We have no idea about this kid...he could develop...who knows.

4.  IK:  In limited use this guy has looked pretty good.  He really needed more snaps and never got them.  Promising depth guy that could take another step

5.  Jace:  He made Kiper's All rookie team! All kidding aside...he wasn't as bad at blocking as everyone around here seems to think.  He also got injured right around when he was playing well which didn't help obviously.  Another guy who can take a step.

A lot of missed opportunities to see growth mostly due to bad luck.  If those guys were healthy or got a chance we have no idea how we would be viewing his draft.

What was unprofessional about his firing? He finished out the year, and was let go the day after the season ended. Standard operating procedure for any team in the league.

The organization had nothing to do with the billboards and plane banners. Blame a stupid fan base, not the team.

It's not just what was done it's also what wasn't done.  

1) Idzik clearly had a plan - Woody clearly approved that plan,

2) Woody gave Idzik very little public support when all that billboard garbage was going on.

3) Woody took no responsibility whatsoever, in fact he threw Idzik further under the bus by saying things like  - He didn't require Idzik to keep Rex in year 1 (GM candidates know that not to be true)

Woody's a bad owner and that's more or a less a fact - his handling of Idzik that will absolutely affect potential GM candidate decisions - that's all I'm trying to say.

How? Did i miss something?

just because we hope the Jets are well run doesn't mean they are

here's my question to KRL, where's his evidence that this whole process is going well? Other than hopes and dreams?

people are just punishing the messenger.

No one is saying the Jets are well-run. They wouldn't be in this situation if they were.

But despite their ineptitude, reporters and fans are either jumping to conclusions or flat out making sh*t up to make the team look even worse.

Ballard has strong ties to Chicago, and is likely to be their next GM. It's the job he covets more than any other. That's why he turned down the Jets interview.

I'm not going to sit here and say he did a good job...but he had some remarkably bad luck.

1.  Freak Millner Injury:  Jury is still out on him, it's not like he access to tissue scans of this guys muscles...no way he could predict this injury happening.

2.  McDougle Injury:  The plan was for this kid to start.  He was a riser in the draft from what I remember with really good leadership qualities....again....really couldn't see this coming either.  Jury is still out here too

3.  Shaq Injury:  We have no idea about this kid...he could develop...who knows.

4.  IK:  In limited use this guy has looked pretty good.  He really needed more snaps and never got them.  Promising depth guy that could take another step

5.  Jace:  He made Kiper's All rookie team! All kidding aside...he wasn't as bad at blocking as everyone around here seems to think.  He also got injured right around when he was playing well which didn't help obviously.  Another guy who can take a step.

A lot of missed opportunities to see growth mostly due to bad luck.  If those guys were healthy or got a chance we have no idea how we would be viewing his draft.

This is exactly why you can't judge a draft after the 1st or 2nd year.  It's more or less a well known and accepted fact - except for Jet fans and the media that covers them.

Everything about Idzik's hiring and firing reconfirmed that the Jets are an absolute ****fest of an organization from top to bottom.

The hiring? Yes. The firing? No, that was more a signal that the team was getting back on the right track.

No it wasn't. A lot of the people who didn't like the Fire Idzik guys made the argument that Idzik was going to get fired without their help. Woody basically kept quiet, and then fired him at the end of the season. Done.

GM candidates will look at Idzik as a failure. If they want to know how things will work out for them with the Jets if they're even mildly competent, they only need to look at the length of the tenures of Tannenbaum and Bradway. If the guy is any good, he can safely buy a house in the area.

Archived