Rex Ryan InterviewThread (merged)

BallinPB

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 hours ago the Bills were going to hire the Shanahans. Thread title makes the fact that Rex has an interview sound like he's on the cusp of being hired, just like the stupid "Rex to Atlanta" thread.

Interviews people, interviews. Not everyone gets their job by filling out an application on the kiosk between the Starbucks counter and shopping cart return inside Target.

I didn't start the thread just because he was interviewing. I started the thread and I made sure to put the question mark because Ian Rapaport on NFL Network said that it was likely and the two sides have a mutual interest in each other.

There has been rumblings since Rex was fired that Atlanta was a good fit.

So no I did not start the thread just because he had an interview.

Exactly.  But the previous coach with Favre at QB couldnt even make the playoff.  Rex made it twice with no QB, NO Ape? 

Technically speaking, Favre deceived the Jets by not letting them know he was hurt.

The Favre team went 9-7. The Rex team went 9-7 the very next year, the only difference was that the Colts benched their starters and let the Jets back in. I wish we could have seen what Favre could have done in the playoffs for us, but we didn't. 

Rex did a great job his first two years, I hated a lot of what he brought to the table, but he won in spite of his flaws with a team that Tanny built. It was when Rex started to assert his vision on the team and Tanny let him, that things went in the sh*tter, and there were no veterans on the team to close the gap on Rex's inadequacies. 

Anyway, I didn't make that comment to compare Mangini and Rex. I made that comment to illustrate how hypocritical it is to be blindly loyal to Rex for taking those teams to the playoffs, no matter how flawed he has been since we stopped going to the playoffs, while cheering Tanny's firing when he was responsible for building those teams, because after the playoffs stopped Tanny sucked and deserved firing... Rex fans are reluctant to use the same rubric in evaluating both men responsible for the illustrious back-to-back AFCC games, because they are over-emotional hypocrites. 

Technically speaking, Favre deceived the Jets by not letting them know he was hurt.

The Favre team went 9-7. The Rex team went 9-7 the very next year, the only difference was that the Colts benched their starters and let the Jets back in. I wish we could have seen what Favre could have done in the playoffs for us, but we didn't. 

Rex did a great job his first two years, I hated a lot of what he brought to the table, but he won in spite of his flaws with a team that Tanny built. It was when Rex started to assert his vision on the team and Tanny let him, that things went in the sh*tter, and there were no veterans on the team to close the gap on Rex's inadequacies. 

Anyway, I didn't make that comment to compare Mangini and Rex. I made that comment to illustrate how hypocritical it is to be blindly loyal to Rex for taking those teams to the playoffs, no matter how flawed he has been since we stopped going to the playoffs, while cheering Tanny's firing when he was responsible for building those teams, because after the playoffs stopped Tanny sucked and deserved firing... Rex fans are reluctant to use the same rubric in evaluating both men responsible for the illustrious back-to-back AFCC games, because they are over-emotional hypocrites. 

Kind of scary thought: if Favre does not injure his friggin throwing shoulder, we may win a SB and Mangenius might still be the coach

Sanchez's first year 12 TD 20 INT.  Are those number mean anything to you ape?  Are you telling me that any coach could have come in here and take this team to two afcc with those numbers? Tell me about the team that Tanny built. What was that special?  Who did we had on defense? Pouha, Devito, Douglas.  Was Revis the same player under Mangini defensive scheme? Why was that defense ranked in the mid 20 the previous year? 

Rex Ryan to meet with CBS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
ryan.jpg?w=235Getty Images

Now that former Jets coach Rex Ryan has interviewed with the Falcons, he’ll be talking to another prospective employer.  But not a football team.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Ryan will meet with CBS on Wednesday regarding a possible TV job.  Ryan, who spent six years with the Jets, previously interviewed with ESPN.

The 49ers and Bills also are interested in Ryan.  The Bears, as reported over the weekend on Football Night in America, have no interest in Ryan.  The Raiders have some, but they’ve yet to request an interview.  (As Scott Bair of CSN Bay Area suggested on Tuesday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, it’s possible that an interview hasn’t been requested because Ryan isn’t interested in the Raiders.)

Some league insiders believe Ryan’s first choice is the Falcons, then ESPN.  The Falcons intend to proceed with interviews of Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, but Ryan remains a viable candidate for the job in Atlanta.

At ESPN, Ryan presumably would join one of more of the studio shows, since Jon Gruden still serves as the analyst for Monday Night Football.  There’s speculation that Ryan would replace Mike Ditka on Sunday NFL Countdown.  (Or maybe they’ll simply add another body to a crew that soon could broadcast from the set of theHollywood Squares.)  At CBS, Ryan could serve as a game analyst, if that’s what he wants to do.

Some league insiders believe Ryan’s first choice is the Falcons, then ESPN.  The Falcons intend to proceed with interviews of Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, but Ryan remains a viable candidate for the job in Atlanta.

I don't know who those insiders are, but that makes a lot of sense. The Buffalo and Oakland jobs are just bad fits, and there's no real advantage to following up Harbaugh in San Francisco. Atlanta is far and away the best job for him. He's got Woody's $4M already coming, and the rumors were that he could make similar money on TV. Why take a bad job this year? He can sit a year and get more popular. 

Fabre was a total waste. I was all for drafting Flacco that year, instead we get rid of Pennington, to save a few mil and give 13 to Favre. To come out of retirement, In the meantime Flacco and Pennington go to the playoffs and we go home. That was the year we drafted Gholston too, another waste The following year we had to get a QB and traded a bunch of players/ picks for Sanchez.

I don't know who those insiders are, but that makes a lot of sense. The Buffalo and Oakland jobs are just bad fits, and there's no real advantage to following up Harbaugh in San Francisco. Atlanta is far and away the best job for him. He's got Woody's $4M already coming, and the rumors were that he could make similar money on TV. Why take a bad job this year? He can sit a year and get more popular. 

I'm not sure a better opportunity will ever pop up for Rex.  How often do you get a Matt Ryan and Julio Jones?

Good for Rex. Best of luck to him

But why does a Jets Website care about what Rex is doing now?

He's not a Jet.

We root for the Jets.

Any Jets news?

Or is this the start of yet more FJOS (Former Jet Obsession Syndrome)?

Man, I sure hope not.  How is Braylon Edwards doing these days.......

Meant you give you pos rep for the BE reference, but think I hit neg by accident. Sorry.

Good for Rex. Best of luck to him

But why does a Jets Website care about what Rex is doing now?

He's not a Jet.

We root for the Jets.

Any Jets news?

Or is this the start of yet more FJOS (Former Jet Obsession Syndrome)?

Man, I sure hope not.  How is Braylon Edwards doing these days.......

Because he might take a swipe at the Jets now, and maybe even 2 swipes.

Tanny built those teams, why weren't you outraged when he was fired?

Tanny didn't do anything, the guy is a glorified agent, he's got no clue when it comes to football, he's a toolbox, a financial guy. Mangini built the core of this team, they were handpicked by him and he coached them up. Especially Revis. He put the bullets in the chamber, then of course he gets fired before those players finally hit their prime so he can reap the profits off his hard/good work in that area. Rex comes in, lives off of those players without putting any bullets in the chamber himself, has some success early on because of that and a couple years later we're among the worst teams in football, no more bullets left. Mind you, Tanny was still running the team and yet we drafted some of the biggest busts in NFL/Jets history. Just look at what happened and who we drafted once Mangini left. And compare that to the players he picked. Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis. In just 2 years. He gets fired and the 3 years after that we pick: Sanchez, Gholston, Keller, Kyle Wilson and Ducasse with our 1st round / Day 1 picks. At this point, the more former (fired) Jets employees get jobs in the AFC East, the better. We got Tanny now in Miami, Rex maybe in Buffalo, maybe we can ship Sanjay Lal along with Marty to NE. That would be the icing on the cake.

Tanny didn't do anything, the guy is a glorified agent, he's got no clue when it comes to football, he's a toolbox, a financial guy. Mangini built the core of this team, they were handpicked by him and he coached them up. Especially Revis. He put the bullets in the chamber, then of course he gets fired before those players finally hit their prime so he can reap the profits off his hard/good work in that area. Rex comes in, lives off of those players without putting any bullets in the chamber himself, has some success early on because of that and a couple years later we're among the worst teams in football, no more bullets left. Mind you, Tanny was still running the team and yet we drafted some of the biggest busts in NFL/Jets history. Just look at what happened and who we drafted once Mangini left. And compare that to the players he picked. Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis. In just 2 years. He gets fired and the 3 years after that we pick: Sanchez, Gholston, Keller, Kyle Wilson and Ducasse with our 1st round / Day 1 picks. At this point, the more former (fired) Jets employees get jobs in the AFC East, the better. We got Tanny now in Miami, Rex maybe in Buffalo, maybe we can ship Sanjay Lal along with Marty to NE. That would be the icing on the cake.

Not to mess with this facsinating story too much, but Gholston was drafted during the remarkably overrated Tannenbaum/Mangini years. 

Guess not 100% of his picks turned out to be perennial Pro Bowlers then. Shame on him. Forgot to mention the good job he also did in Cleveland, building that place up again with guys like Joe Haden, Alex Mack, T.J. Ward. And then of course he gets fired again before those guys can have enough of an impact to really improve the teams' record. If somebody actually committed to Mangini long term he could probably turn that team into a perennial playoff contender. Outstanding teacher with excellent knowledge of the game & scouting skills. He just sucks as a person. Is he related to BB?

Archived