Rex Ryan InterviewThread (merged)

BallinPB

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess not 100% of his picks turned out to be perennial Pro Bowlers then. Shame on him. Forgot to mention the good job he also did in Cleveland, building that place up again with guys like Joe Haden, Alex Mack, T.J. Ward. And then of course he gets fired again before those guys can have enough of an impact to really improve the teams' record. If somebody actually committed to Mangini long term he could probably turn that team into a perennial playoff contender. Outstanding teacher with excellent knowledge of the game & scouting skills. He just sucks as a person. Is he related to BB?

Yeah, that's probably why he was out of football for a few years before being picked up as a 49ers consultant, and then moving up to a soon-to-be unemployed tight end coach. Because he's something special.

That, too. Add in the fact that he'd steal 1-2 wins off the Pats per year as well. So overall, how can you not hope for him to stay in the division.

If he had to depend as a thief on the number of wins he "stole" from the Pats in six years, he'd have made a career change to panhandling.

He talked far more steals than he accomplished

I remember when Leon got Kotite and Eagles fans tried to warn us how bad he was and I was all "yah ok."

get going.. seems like non Jets fans are very pro sexy rexy

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/1/4/7489107/the-falcons-head-coaching-candidate-poll

With so many rumors swirling about the next Atlanta Falcons head coach, I thought this was a good time to take the pulse of the fanbase. This is mostly to determine who you want to be the next coach of this team, but it's also to determine whether you're still alive or not. No pressure, either way.

Please vote in the poll below, and be sure to share the reasoning for your vote with your fellow fans in the comments. We'll tabulate the results and discuss them in more detail in the days ahead, barring a surprising hiring by mid-week.

Go forth and vote, everyone.

POLL
Which of these oft-discussed candidates should the Falcons hire?
  • 25%Todd Bowles(1340 votes)

• 4%Adam Gase(234 votes)

• 5%Teryl Austin(248 votes)

• 41%Rex Ryan(2226 votes)

• 11%Dan Quinn(565 votes)

• 2%Doug Marrone(132 votes)

• 7%Josh McDaniels(385 votes)

• 5%None of the above(248 votes)

5378 votes total

Say What? When Rex took over the Jets, our D was ranked mid 20 and he turned it into number one defense the following year.

My point is with the talent on ATLs offense, Rex doesn't need to field a great D- a solid D will do. Anything else up there is gravy.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Rex and ATL were division champs in Year 2 of his potential regime.

Sanchez's first year 12 TD 20 INT. Are those number mean anything to you ape? Are you telling me that any coach could have come in here and take this team to two afcc with those numbers? Tell me about the team that Tanny built. What was that special? Who did we had on defense? Pouha, Devito, Douglas. Was Revis the same player under Mangini defensive scheme? Why was that defense ranked in the mid 20 the previous year?

Does "Rex did a good job " mean anything to you? Like I said, my initial remark is about Rex fans cheering for Tanny's firing. What special kind of stupid are you that you need me to hammer you over the head with this clarification?

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/1/4/7489107/the-falcons-head-coaching-candidate-poll

With so many rumors swirling about the next Atlanta Falcons head coach, I thought this was a good time to take the pulse of the fanbase. This is mostly to determine who you want to be the next coach of this team, but it's also to determine whether you're still alive or not. No pressure, either way.

Please vote in the poll below, and be sure to share the reasoning for your vote with your fellow fans in the comments. We'll tabulate the results and discuss them in more detail in the days ahead, barring a surprising hiring by mid-week.

POLL

• 25%

Todd Bowles(1340 votes)
  • 4%

Adam Gase(234 votes)
  • 5%

Teryl Austin(248 votes)
  • 41%

Rex Ryan(2226 votes)
  • 11%

Dan Quinn(565 votes)
  • 2%

Doug Marrone(132 votes)
  • 7%

Josh McDaniels(385 votes)
  • 5%

None of the above(248 votes)
5378 votes total</p>

They only know what ESPN tells them to think. Fans of other teams don't know the details of Rex impact on the roster, or his record after bye weeks, or his in-game suck-age.

Fabre was a total waste. I was all for drafting Flacco that year, instead we get rid of Pennington, to save a few mil and give 13 to Favre. To come out of retirement, In the meantime Flacco and Pennington go to the playoffs and we go home. That was the year we drafted Gholston too, another waste The following year we had to get a QB and traded a bunch of players/ picks for Sanchez.

Made that trade for Rex's guy, Sanchez.

They only know what ESPN tells them to think. Fans of other teams don't know the details of Rex impact on the roster, or his record after bye weeks, or his in-game suck-age.

that's surprising, cause fans here seem to think they know the precise comparative ranking our our Olineman, and which coordinator would be a better HC, despite having even less information on either 

that's surprising, cause fans here seem to think they know the precise comparative ranking our our Olineman, and which coordinator would be a better HC, despite having even less information on either

I don't think that, I have been quite transparent about that too. I think our fans are just as poorly informed as others. Yesterday they all thought a 5 hour interview (through dinner time on the east coast) meant Rex was hired in ATL.

I don't think that, I have been quite transparent about that too. I think our fans are just as poorly informed as others. Yesterday they all thought a 5 hour interview (through dinner time on the east coast) meant Rex was hired in ATL.

No.. there were several reports that a deal was likely, not just based on time

Tanny didn't do anything, the guy is a glorified agent, he's got no clue when it comes to football, he's a toolbox, a financial guy. Mangini built the core of this team, they were handpicked by him and he coached them up. Especially Revis. He put the bullets in the chamber, then of course he gets fired before those players finally hit their prime so he can reap the profits off his hard/good work in that area. Rex comes in, lives off of those players without putting any bullets in the chamber himself, has some success early on because of that and a couple years later we're among the worst teams in football, no more bullets left. Mind you, Tanny was still running the team and yet we drafted some of the biggest busts in NFL/Jets history. Just look at what happened and who we drafted once Mangini left. And compare that to the players he picked. Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis. In just 2 years. He gets fired and the 3 years after that we pick: Sanchez, Gholston, Keller, Kyle Wilson and Ducasse with our 1st round / Day 1 picks. At this point, the more former (fired) Jets employees get jobs in the AFC East, the better. We got Tanny now in Miami, Rex maybe in Buffalo, maybe we can ship Sanjay Lal along with Marty to NE. That would be the icing on the cake.

So if Tanny didn't do anything, then Mangini built that team, and when Rex got here he took over building. Except the defenses case on Rex is that he has zero liability for the talent on the roster.

This is why people defending Rex should just say, "he 'a terrible, but I love him and don't care if he's not the best thing for the jets."

Much more logical to admit this than keep pushing these contrived double-standards and contradictory evaluation rubrics.

Me personally, I live the guy but do care and don't want him detrimentally impacting this team anymore.

No.. there were several reports that a deal was likely, not just based on time

No. Deal was likely was speculation, just like us hiring Marrone. The length of interview was used by fans to substantiate the speculation, because fans are derp.

No. Deal was likely was speculation, just like us hiring Marrone. The length of interview was used by fans to substantiate the speculation, because fans are derp.

I'm just wondering what the hell Rex talked about for 5 hours.  I'm sure it was entertaining. 

I'm just wondering what the hell Rex talked about for 5 hours. I'm sure it was entertaining.

30 minutes on coaching philosophy with PowerPoint deck citing players he takes credit for. 30 minutes on what he'd do in new role. 4 hours at old country buffet, it was fried chicken night.

With so many rumors swirling about the next Atlanta Falcons head coach, I thought this was a good time to take the pulse of the fanbase. This is mostly to determine who you want to be the next coach of this team, but it's also to determine whether you're still alive or not. No pressure, either way.

POLL
  • 25%Todd Bowles(1340 votes)

• 4%Adam Gase(234 votes)

• 5%Teryl Austin(248 votes)

• 41%Rex Ryan(2226 votes)

• 11%Dan Quinn(565 votes)

• 2%Doug Marrone(132 votes)

• 7%Josh McDaniels(385 votes)

• 5%None of the above(248 votes)

5378 votes total

Whaaat???  Only 2% want Marrone?  Don't they realize he is the next Lombardi?

Whaaat??? Only 2% want Marrone? Don't they realize he is the next Lombardi?

Wait you are talking about Falcon fans..people who thought Jerry Glanville was a coaching savior.

Wouldn't surprise me if Eric Morongini were next up after they see what a dope WRECKS is

Seems that there's a Civil War in Atlanta again to the point where Blank will have to fire Dimitroff and Pioli if he wants Rex.

Unlike you, I do think Rex will get another spin at HC, and if ATL hires him and it costs them Dimitroff and Pioli, I would hope we have the sense to snap up one or both of them in some capacity.

Unlike you, I do think Rex will get another spin at HC, and if ATL hires him and it costs them Dimitroff and Pioli, I would hope we have the sense to snap up one or both of them in some capacity.

That's a joke, right? Why would you want Dimitroff, especially just 2 years after having Trader Mike. He is on the hot seat, and for good reason because he has left that team with no depth. That trade for Julio Jones, although Julio is a top 5 receiver, has messed up that Falcons franchise. I don't understand the man crush people have on this guy. 

That's a joke, right? Why would you want Dimitroff, especially just 2 years after having Trader Mike. He is on the hot seat, and for good reason because he has left that team with no depth. That trade for Julio Jones, although Julio is a top 5 receiver, has messed up that Falcons franchise. I don't understand the man crush people have on this guy. 

Compare Dimitroff and Pioli to the GMs we've had the past few decades. Now compare Dimitroff and Pioli to the GM candidates we're being linked to.

It doesn't take a man-crush to realize that the two of them would be some of the best, proven talent available to us right now. Also, note that I said in some capacit, maybe not necessarily as GM.

Compare Dimitroff and Pioli to the GMs we've had the past few decades. Now compare Dimitroff and Pioli to the GM candidates we're being linked to.

It doesn't take a man-crush to realize that the two of them would be some of the best, proven talent available to us right now. Also, note that I said in some capacit, maybe not necessarily as GM.

Yeah Dimitroff has done just as poorly as our GMs of the past few years. The falcons are in the same situation as the 2012 Jets.

And you can't compare them to the candidates we're linked to yet because half of them don't have a track record as GM. That's not fair, because they can come in and absolutely nail it.

Rex will go to the bills and do well there-they have a very good defense-better weapons on offense too-QB is sketchy but I am sure they will address that-seeing rex coach the bills will be like watching revis with the pats

Because the Falcons are just brimming with talent or is there some other reason?

Yes Rex did come in and make us the #1 defense. He realized that Revis was an island and perfect for his defense. He had a dizzying array of exotic and overload blitzes that offenses were not equipped to handle.

But that was 6 years ago and teams adapt and learn. Each year teams handle the Rex defense better, and not coincidentally Rex's defense has gotten worse and worse despite a continuous influx of talent. Not only do his blitzes rarely work anymore, his defense is so predictable that it has become a liability on 3rd and long and other situations.

The time for Rex to come in and make a defense top notch is over because his scheme is not sustainable long term. Defenses like the Tamps 2 have such long term success is that it is basic and I SD successful through execution and the ability to play fast because it is simple.

Rex's defense relies both on scheme (which has largely been figured out) and top flight corners. You could make an argument both corners need to be Top 15 in the league, and that is next to impossible with the cap, or being super fortunate in the draft.

The days of the Ryan family defense are closing. Look at Rob this year and the ever declining Rex.

Anyone that thinks Rex will automatically upgrade a teams defense is just not really analyzing what he does and the state of the current NFL

Rex will go to the bills and do well there-they have a very good defense-better weapons on offense too-QB is sketchy but I am sure they will address that-seeing rex coach the bills will be like watching revis with the pats

I hope he goes to the BILLS..2X a year we play an unprepared team.

Because the Falcons are just brimming with talent or is there some other reason?

Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Harry Douglas (a backup), a decent O-Line (if not for the injuries)...if you can't make the playoffs with THAT team you don't belong in the NFL as a HC. Which is pretty much why Smith is gone now. There's just no way more than a handful of teams are going to outscore you when you have that type of passing attack. Talent on offense always beats having talent on defense. Just look at the Texans. Imagine how good they would be if Watt played QB.

Archived