Let's talk Wilkerson deal

DaBallhawk

I'd love to upgrade @ RT as well but financially and realistically it just doesn't add up I guess considering we signed him last offseason. Unless the FO really feels like they HAVE to do something, or maybe they see somebody they can't pass on in FA. His cap hit would be over 5 mil. next season and his base salary is around 4.5 mil.

Not signing Mo would be typical Jets sh*t...if they don't sign him they're fools.

Here's another foolish idea....sign mo then sign Suh. We can't be Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Peyton or any other great ones. D Line like that would go a loooong way to addressing that problem.

And how much did the defense miss him in those games?  

The only reason he wasn't missed much was because of our "GENIOUS" HC?Defensive Mastermind!!

I'd sign up for 4/40mm for big Mo.

Great locker-room guy and doesn't complain about "me gettin' mine" garbage

The only reason he wasn't missed much was because of our "GENIOUS" HC?Defensive Mastermind!!

I'd sign up for 4/40mm for big Mo.

Great locker-room guy and doesn't complain about "me gettin' mine" garbage

I would sign up for that too - $10mm a year works for me - $25mm guaranteed..

The question really is what if he demands more?

People keep saying it would be typical Jet's stupidity if they let him go....The question is, where is the line?

At some point it simply doesn't make sense to sign the guy...Where is that number?

The jets are going to have to spend money on the dline sooner or later. Whatever you Pay Mo, you know Richardson is going to want more. As of now the jets have him for next year for 7mill, He is 25 YO. in 2016 if tagged he will make about 14 mil on the tag so he gets 21 mill  total if he plays all 16 games under the tag.  His tag will be close to18 millin 2017 so that is out of the question.

5 years and 55 mill with a first year salary of 15 mill is the way I would go, so like this. 2015= 15M then 8, 10, 10,12 . I would cut Harvin and use his 10 mill to finance the big 15 mill cap hit next year. The jets have the money this year and how many FA do you think they can bring in for this year, unless you just want to out bid everyone else. 

I think it is closer to $50M.  Guards, TEs and safeties should be fairly cheap.  I know I touted his site before, but Jason knows what he is talking about.  I don't always agree with his player evals, but he is rarely far off on contracts.  Check the graphs.  The Jets are below NFL average spending at every level on defense.  They are way above NFL average at two positions:  O line and WR.  Throwing money at a problem does not constitute fixing it.  Wilkerson is not a problem.  Letting him walk certainly might be.  I'm not saying to sign him at any cost, but he is an excellent player, captive as far as negotiations and has been anything but a problem as far as effort and the lockerroom.  To automatically let him walk or trade him is pretty ******* dopey. 

http://overthecap.com/jets-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

Guards, Tight Ends and Safeties are not cheap in today's NFL.  Jarius Byrd got a $50 million deal last season.  Iupati is going to get paid and there's plenty of teams besides the Jets that want him and have cap room.

This organization is friggin cursed.  We get $50 mil in cap room for next season so ofcourse we're going to end up wasting about $20 mil of that on extending Wilkerson when we have depth like crazy at defensive line and Wilk is still ours the next two years without an extension anyway and signing some scrub like Brian Hoyer or Jake Locker to come here and lose the qb starting job.  Then you need $5 mil to sign draft picks before you know it our biggest free agent acquisition of the off-season is Julius Thomas for $10 mil a year.

This argument might have merit if the team had cap problems. They have to spend on somebody. Mo has shown no indication he will slack after his contract. These constant Madden trade scenarios are silly.

I agree pay the man.. he hasn't whined about it once. That and really? People want Suh here? the first time he steps on Brady's leg our media will blow it out of the water.

Guards, Tight Ends and Safeties are not cheap in today's NFL.  Jarius Byrd got a $50 million deal last season.  Iupati is going to get paid and there's plenty of teams besides the Jets that want him and have cap room.

This organization is friggin cursed.  We get $50 mil in cap room for next season so ofcourse we're going to end up wasting about $20 mil of that on extending Wilkerson when we have depth like crazy at defensive line and Wilk is still ours the next two years without an extension anyway and signing some scrub like Brian Hoyer or Jake Locker to come here and lose the qb starting job.  Then you need $5 mil to sign draft picks before you know it our biggest free agent acquisition of the off-season is Julius Thomas for $10 mil a year.

We are cursed because we drafted a good player?  Like the Curse of Revis?  We have enough ******* safeties.  We have to replace Dawan Landry?  Heaven forfend. We don't ******* need Jarius Byrd.  You want to pay Iupati, fine, but we have to room to get plenty of guys.  We have $50M in cap room even without cutting loose guys like Chris Johnson.  Even if they pay Mo $16M per he shouldn't cost $20M against the cap - unless they want him to so that the money can be rolled over. 

My gut feeling is that Wilkerson ends up wherever Rex does unless the Jets break the bank.

Well, he's locked up for at least one more year - dirt cheap considering how good he is. So he's not going to leave unless we get a 1st round pick in return from Rex. Even next year we can put the tag on Wilk and still trade him. So he really has no value, he's here for at least 2 more years unless we move him out. He really has no say in it, we can't "lose" him so to speak.

Always cracks me up how our fanbase is so obsessed with the price tag of a player.  Its not your money.  Why do you care?  Any decent GM can figure out how to make the cap work with a couple of expensive pieces.  You really want to see Mo Wilk in another jersey?  Like Revis?  No.

Mo Wilk is really ******* good.  He's home grown. Pay the man and move the **** on already. Though we're probably waiting for the GM and that's the first move he makes (assuming Casserly has already picked our Head Coach). lulz

yeah really. if you never want to pay a player because you think its too expensive ten you will never have any good players

Always cracks me up how our fanbase is so obsessed with the price tag of a player.  Its not your money.  Why do you care?  Any decent GM can figure out how to make the cap work with a couple of expensive pieces.  You really want to see Mo Wilk in another jersey?  Like Revis?  No.

Mo Wilk is really ******* good.  He's home grown. Pay the man and move the **** on already. Though we're probably waiting for the GM and that's the first move he makes (assuming Casserly has already picked our Head Coach). lulz

The team's money is just like a player, another asset. this is not baseball where you just can pay more than the next guy.  But it is not like there is an infinite amount of money like in baseball or somewhat basketball. Fans are concerned that if Mo get 12 this year there is less to attract FA here. IMO they are misguided in this case as this is a perfect opportunity to front load a deal for Wilkinson, so that his cap hit is lower in future years . 

Trade Mo WIlk to Atlanta once Rex finishes up his 2nd interview. Extend Coples now and place him at DE. Also resign Ellis and Douzable to multi years. The amount of money you would give WIlk would take care of 3 solid guys long term. Change the Defense to 4-3. There you go. 

It is too early for both the Jets and Coples to put a value on him. 

he doesn't have the sacks to get the top deal.  he will be slotted a whole peg lower than watt.  I would offer him more guaranteed to take less overall money.  an old trick, I know, but he has been pretty durable

He won't get a Quinn/Watt/McCoy deal but he will get something better than Adkins. What he is asked to do in that defense, he does extremely well.

He won't get a Quinn/Watt/McCoy deal but he will get something better than Adkins. What he is asked to do in that defense, he does extremely well.

agree on both.  If I was hired as GM, I would start taking to his agent right away.  I know the jets have the leverage, but locking him up while in his prime and the team has cap room would be my #1 priority.  especially if quinn is the HC, I want to lock up a stud for him

Take it from a Patriot fan, it hurts like hell when you lose very good players due to cap issues. The jets have no reason to lose this one.  The jets got lucky since Goldson and hit on thier Dlineman no matter where they were taken. A great run of luck. Why take a chance on the next three being a run of Thomas, Dfat and Pouha.

If it is Quinn and he runs the same scheme that is in Seattle, you have the 80% of the DLine in place. Get Cro back, add one of Maxwell, Cox/Cullver/Skrine, Then Bruce Carter or Malcom Smith at OLB. Connoly and  Iupati on the oline, McCourty, Daniel Fells as a blocking TE then wait for the draft. 

At 6, 38, 70 and 104 you have 4 more opportunities to upgrade at RT, CB,WR, TE, MLB or slide Davis there and go olb

It is too early for both the Jets and Coples to put a value on him. 

because he was being played out of position. Coples is a solid 4 3 defensive end and would come cheap because he has been playing out of position. Coples played on the d line against the fins in week 17 and had 2 sacks in the game. the last time coples had multiple sacks in a game was in 2012....when he was a rookie defensive lineman. My adamant approach on this subject shouldnt be taken as some dislike for Wilkerson, I just see that we are not going to be able to keep all of this talent on the D line so I would figure that you get something for it instead of losing something to free agency such as a Coples, Douzable or Ellis. If Rex goes to Atlanta and we are able to trade Wilkerson there do you guys really think that we are somehow going to drop off the football planet, we won 4 games this year and its been a half decade since we have had a winning record. Spread the talent around the team by trading him and letting Coples do what he can do in the position that he was built to play.

because he was being played out of position. Coples is a solid 4 3 defensive end and would come cheap because he has been playing out of position. Coples played on the d line against the fins in week 17 and had 2 sacks in the game. the last time coples had multiple sacks in a game was in 2012....when he was a rookie defensive lineman. My adamant approach on this subject shouldnt be taken as some dislike for Wilkerson, I just see that we are not going to be able to keep all of this talent on the D line so I would figure that you get something for it instead of losing something to free agency such as a Coples, Douzable or Ellis. If Rex goes to Atlanta and we are able to trade Wilkerson there do you guys really think that we are somehow going to drop off the football planet, we won 4 games this year and its been a half decade since we have had a winning record. Spread the talent around the team by trading him and letting Coples do what he can do in the position that he was built to play.

Him playing out of position was the reason tha ti thought it was too early to sign him or for him to sign an extension. The jets don't fully know what they have in him and he has not been put in a position to make plays. I have always compared him to Dunlap from the Bengals, if he plays DE and gets 9-11 sack, he will get 8+ in FA. If he busts the jets will be stuck with a bad contract.

Archived