Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

Jetfan13

FOXSports senior NFL reporter Alex Marvez said he believes Dan Quinn will ultimately be hired as the Jets head coach, according to people he’s spoken to.

Quinn, currently the Seahawks defensive coordinator, is one of the six men confirmed to have interviewed for the Jets coaching vacancy.

Marvez appeared on the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday and said Quinn has already started reaching out to assistants on other teams for coaching opportunities with the Jets (DP Show, Jan. 8).

“Under league rules, Quinn cannot accept an offer — or receive one — until after the Seahawks’ season, which means that prospective employers, like the Jets, could be waiting until after the Super Bowl,” according to the New York Times (Jan. 8).

Quinn, 44, has been the defensive coordinator for the Seahawks since 2013. From 2007 to 2008, Quinn was the defensive line coach for the Jets.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm torn.  If the Jets have identified who they like and it is Quinn, then I want the Seahawks to lose this week and get the show on the road.   On the other hand, I am afraid that the Seahawks may be the only thing standing between the Pats and a SB win, so i want them to advance.

On the other, other hand can we please hire a GM first?????  Quinn has done nothing that warrants total control with a puppet GM.

Gotta love the media. First everyone was on the Marrone wagon, nothing happened. Now every reporter coming out with the Quinn talk. Next week will be someone else.

The people with sources close to the Jets have been saying Quinn quietly all along.

If all of a sudden the Jets start hiring asst's that Quinn reached out to under the table would the league consider that against the rules?? :winking0001:

Wink...wink..no

He's not the HC...he's just talking...wink wink..with buds on the phone over a caramel macchiato at a local Starbucks on Pioneer Square...just fun times amongst pals..wink.wink

Now I'm torn.  If the Jets have identified who they like and it is Quinn, then I want the Seahawks to lose this week and get the show on the road.   On the other hand, I am afraid that the Seahawks may be the only thing standing between the Pats and a SB win, so i want them to advance.

agree with this!

Now I'm torn. If the Jets have identified who they like and it is Quinn, then I want the Seahawks to lose this week and get the show on the road. On the other hand, I am afraid that the Seahawks may be the only thing standing between the Pats and a SB win, so i want them to advance.

On the other, other hand can we please hire a GM first????? Quinn has done nothing that warrants total control with a puppet GM.

The Packers can beat New England. In a Brady/Rodgers shootout, I'll take Rodgers every time.

Go Panthers!

I hate to be a conspiracy theory guy but it sort of fits with the idea of Tannenbaum going to the Fins now vs. having him negotiate a deal for Quinn with the Jets and then going.  Getting him out of the way avoids any issue of conflict of interest...

On the other, other hand can we please hire a GM first?????  Quinn has done nothing that warrants total control with a puppet GM.

See, if the Pats played early Sunday and lost, then it wouldn't matter how we root for Seattle!

I hate to be a conspiracy theory guy but it sort of fits with the idea of Tannenbaum going to the Fins now vs. having him negotiate a deal for Quinn with the Jets and then going.  Getting him out of the way avoids any issue of conflict of interest...

It's an interesting point.  If he wasn't going to the Jets why not stay on, see the hire through and collect that commission $$$

Why not just keep Rex then?

This is actually kind of sickening to me...

No offense buddy, but this is an extremely ignorant point of view. Coaches come up in one of 3 phases. Just because our last HC was defense, doesn't mean our next one shouldn't or can't be. Quinn has already exhibited a far more methodical approach than that of Rex. Rex was good at defense, nothing else. Quinn is good at defense, and conceivably everything else.

I almost root for Quinn to get the job just so that people can learn this. 

Why?  We know Rex's limitations. Maybe Quinn can manage games better and can show aptitude on both sides of the ball? 

And maybe he'll suck even more...

Just bringing in another defensive focused, first time HC - that was a former D-line coach...

Who's been managing the most talent in the league - and had no part in building that talent...

I just don't get the move...execpt or one reason and that reason aligns perfectly with Woody Johnson -

It's a good PR move....hiring the coordinator of the league's best D...

No offense buddy, but this is an extremely ignorant point of view. Coaches come up in one of 3 phases. Just because our last HC was defense, doesn't mean our next one shouldn't or can't be. Quinn has already exhibited a far more methodical approach than that of Rex. Rex was good at defense, nothing else. Quinn is good at defense, and conceivably everything else.

Okay skippy....and please don't take offense to the fact that I see many similarities and don't like it.  

The similarities are glaring and I was hoping for a change of focus within the organization. 

I'm tired of first time HC's - I'm tired a HC focused on D, I'm tired of HC's that have only had 2 years experience as a DC, I'm tired of a DL coach being the HC.  Those are strikingly similar resume's...That's the point I was making and calling me ignorant for not having an opinion that aligns with yours is ridiculous-  The actual ignorance is in ones ability to look through a non-literal statement and understand the meaning ...

Unfortunately people are already putting Quinn in a "Rex box" which is simplistic.  On top of that people are overlooking

the construction of the SEA defensive roster.  Yes, they are talented BUT that talent was "coached up" because they don't

have very many #1 picks on the defensive side of the ball.  Most of their "name" players were mid to late round picks

Unfortunately people are already putting Quinn in a "Rex box" which is simplistic.  On top of that people are overlooking

the construction of the SEA defensive roster.  Yes, they are talented BUT that talent was "coached up" because they don't

have very many #1 picks on the defensive side of the ball.  Most of their "name" players were mid to late round picksThis 

he's been there since 2013 - he didn't coach up anything.

And maybe he'll suck even more...

Just bringing in another defensive focused, first time HC - that was a former D-line coach...

Who's been managing the most talent in the league - and had no part in building that talent...

I just don't get the move...execpt or one reason and that reason aligns perfectly with Woody Johnson -

It's a good PR move....hiring the coordinator of the league's best D...

You're right on the PR move 100%. But in this case it also seems to align with one of the best candidates.  Other than Harbaugh which retread or coordinator has a proven track record of not sucking more than Rex?

Those knocking Quinn should look at the makeup of Seattle's roster. Late round picks playing star roles, JAGS signed as free agents blossoming. He has changed the way they play D every year to best fit his personnel.

He does does two things Rex could never do, develop talent, and be flexible enough to adjust your defense to fit your personnel and force your players to fit a system.

This will be a fantastic hire. And if he can bring along Shanahan Jr., this offsets on will be a coup for the Jets. No doubt about it.

You're right on the PR move 100%. But in this case it also seems to align with one of the best candidates.  Other than Harbaugh which retread or coordinator has a proven track record of not sucking more than Rex?

I know i'm overreacting ...  It's just I was really hoping the organization would go in the experienced and/or offense direction.

This seems like this is it - and I'm just not happy.  

Quinn may very well turn out to be great (I know little about him) and I guess we're gonna find out.

He was the assistant head coach before going to FL for two years. He input on that D got Bradley his job in Jax.

So he was there before they good...

left for two years at they began to get good - and then came back when the players were ready....

Just seems like a reach....

Or are you saying he was a player personal guy and that the DL coach was picking choosing the draft picks and FA's?

Okay skippy....and please don't take offense to the fact that I see many similarities and don't like it.  

The similarities are glaring and I was hoping for a change of focus within the organization. 

I'm tired of first time HC's - I'm tired a HC focused on D, I'm tired of HC's that have only had 2 years experience as a DC, I'm tired of a DL coach being the HC.  Those are strikingly similar resume's...That's the point I was making and calling me ignorant for not having an opinion that aligns with yours is ridiculous-  The actual ignorance is in ones ability to look through a non-literal statement and understand the meaning ...

No, it is ignorant to imply an unknown commodity is the same as a know failure because of "similarities" in a situation where almost all coaches will have similarities if you look hard enough for them.

It is also ignorant to say one thing that is pretty cut and dry, and will be interpreted that way, and then expect everyone else to assume you meant a whole bunch of other things.

have very many #1 picks on the defensive side of the ball.  Most of their "name" players were mid to late round picks

I think people are overlooking that success and failure is largely about the individual, not the path they took. 

No, it is ignorant to imply an unknown commodity is the same as a know failure because of "similarities" in a situation where almost all coaches will have similarities if you look hard enough for them.

It is also ignorant to say one thing that is pretty cut and dry, and will be interpreted that way, and then expect everyone else to assume you meant a whole bunch of other things.

Are you honestly saying  you don't see these similarities between these two as anything more than looking too hard for them?  I see them as glaring.

This move fell like Deja-Vu to me - when I was hoping for something very different.  Forgive me for not simply lining up to accept it.

Are you honestly saying  you don't see these similarities between these two as anything more than looking too hard for them?  I see them as glaring.

This move fell like Deja-Vu to me - when I was hoping for something very different.  Forgive me for not simply lining up to accept it.

I think it's coincidental, frankly. I don't think it is indicative of what we should expect from Quinn in any way whatsoever, as it compares to Rex.

I'm waiting to gain more insight into Quinn's personality and philosophy. I never said you should line up to accept it, just that it's not an informed point of view to assume since both Rex and Quinn coached the DL, they'll be the same.

Archived