Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

Jetfan13

3)  Why does Quinn get the amazing coordinator title, when Gus Bradley led the same defense before, and he's turned out to be an OK coach, but nothing great?  It wasn't like Quinn tweaked the whole system and turned it upside down.  He seems to have just continued on with the same system.  We also hear that Pete Carrol is the CB whisperer, and how he can develop CBs out of paper bags, and thus form the biggest advantage that Seattle has, yet Quinn gets the credit now that people are looking into him?   

right,,Pete Carrol is calling defensive shots, we all know that,,Its like saying 'Go hire Thurman cause Jets have had great defenses and he is the DC'

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is Belichicks winning % without Brady,when you combine w/Browns and in NE when Brady out?

Not going to do all the math, but he was 36-44 in Cleveland and I'd take him 99 times out of 100 over Shanahan. 

You really think he wants to deal with the NY media and a fan base that takes out billboards to get guys fired? Shanahan has been around too long to put up with all that extra BS.

he put up with Daniel Snyder but the NY fanbase is too much for him?    don't think so...Shanahan will take any job offered his way.   He probably gets one more crack it.

Are you honestly saying  you don't see these similarities between these two as anything more than looking too hard for them?  I see them as glaring.

This move fell like Deja-Vu to me - when I was hoping for something very different.  Forgive me for not simply lining up to accept it.

They are both DCs but I do not see the similarities between their defensive schemes.  As for offense, DCs can learn.  See BB.  Rex could not learn offense.  Rex did not try. We have evidence of that.

Quinn brings in a winning culture with him, which is something that has been missing here since 1970.

I think the year we hired Rex, he was coming off an AFC Championship loss (apparently a theme with him) too, so it wasn't like he was a perennial loser either.   I also don't think the winning culture thing translates all that well, but rather talent.  If Quinn can help to replicate the talent that Seattle has, then yes it will translate.  But with most of the times to me, the winning culture theme is misguided.  The ones that translate over are the really smart ones that can fit their schemes with multiple personnel groups and still be successful.  However, there are tons of guys that happened to be in the right position at the right time, yet don't really have the wherewithal to translate that success when called upon.  I don't know which side Quinn falls into, but I'm not sure we can label him on either side.   

right,,Pete Carrol is calling defensive shots, we all know that,,Its like saying 'Go hire Thurman cause Jets have had great defenses and he is the DC'

Exactly, all I've heard through the years was the Carrol was the real genius behind that defense, and how amazing he is at developing the secondary.  Bradley hasn't been anything great either so.  

Joe Gibbs would like to have a word with you.

Lol 3 Super Bowls with 3 different qbs. Hall of famers jay Schroeder Doug Williams and snap crackle pop theism an. You can't win without a great qb, history has proven that. Haha

I don't understand the angst against a first time Head Coach. 2/3 of this years playoff coaches are in their first gig. If the 4 that aren't, the only big driving difference between their first gig and second gig is their QB play is better(with the exception of Caldwell)

I think people are overlooking that success and failure is largely about the individual, not the path they took. 

another factor that people should consider is that Rex hired a fair number of crap assistants.  I have no reason to believe Quinn will do tht.  He has to prove it to me.

Exactly, all I've heard through the years was the Carrol was the real genius behind that defense, and how amazing he is at developing the secondary.  Bradley hasn't been anything great either so.  

In fairness to Bradley, that team is probably the worst run franchise in sports at the moment. They're consistently $20 mil under the cap. I think Khan is the fakest owner in the NFL.  

Wow so Jets will Hire QUINN  SHANAHAN and quite possibly CUTLER with no say from New GM!  Jets will always be Jests, Unreal what a slapdick org.  Go Pack Go.

We're getting Cutler? Where are you getting this? 

Wow so Jets will Hire QUINN SHANAHAN and quite possibly CUTLER with no say from New GM! Jets will always be Jests, Unreal what a slapdick org. Go Pack Go.

Does this mean you're leaving forever again, Mr. Assmop?

Lol 3 Super Bowls with 3 different qbs. Hall of famers jay Schroeder Doug Williams and snap crackle pop theism an. You can't win without a great qb, history has proven that. Haha

The Tuna won 2 Bowls with Simms who in 1986 had 21 tds and 22 picks. In 1990 Simms and Hoss together had 18 tds and 5 picks and at no time did he ever have a QB with 60% completion those teams were G&P and a strong D.. Of course that was then and this is now and a top QB is needed..

In fairness to Bradley, that team is probably the worst run franchise in sports at the moment. They're consistently $20 mil under the cap. I think Khan is the fakest owner in the NFL.  

I think the GM there is in essence operating under a 5 or 6 year plan.  I think they are better with just rolling over the money than spending right now because the team really isn't even a couple of free agents away from really competing.  They seem to be doing the right thing in trying to develop Bortles with weapons, possibly filling in the OL in the draft more, and hope he takes off.  I don't think they are going to spend like crazy until they find the QB to be successful.  So far Bortles looks very shaky, and passing on Bridgewater seems like a big mistake, especially when they could easily have picked anyone they liked.   

I think the year we hired Rex, he was coming off an AFC Championship loss (apparently a theme with him) too, so it wasn't like he was a perennial loser either.   I also don't think the winning culture thing translates all that well, but rather talent.  If Quinn can help to replicate the talent that Seattle has, then yes it will translate.  But with most of the times to me, the winning culture theme is misguided.  The ones that translate over are the really smart ones that can fit their schemes with multiple personnel groups and still be successful.  However, there are tons of guys that happened to be in the right position at the right time, yet don't really have the wherewithal to translate that success when called upon.  I don't know which side Quinn falls into, but I'm not sure we can label him on either side.   

I do not want my head coach calling all the plays from the sideline.  For offense or defense.  I want a head coach.  He can do almost all of his suggesting during game prep, and come game day, manage the affairs of the game.  I wonder who Quinn would want as a DC?

Good, because we aren't getting him. Not sure why it's a topic of conversation.

Because another poster said they wanted an "experienced HC" instead of a newbie OC or DC, and I listed all the former HC candidates. He was one of them.

See how that works? 

I think the GM there is in essence operating under a 5 or 6 year plan.  I think they are better with just rolling over the money than spending right now because the team really isn't even a couple of free agents away from really competing.  They seem to be doing the right thing in trying to develop Bortles with weapons, possibly filling in the OL in the draft more, and hope he takes off.  I don't think they are going to spend like crazy until they find the QB to be successful.  So far Bortles looks very shaky, and passing on Bridgewater seems like a big mistake, especially when they could easily have picked anyone they liked.   

Fair enough.

I probably would have taken Bortles too though. I had him and Carr as the better QB choices. 

The Tuna won 2 Bowls with Simms who in 1986 had 21 tds and 22 picks. In 1990 Simms and Hoss together had 18 tds and 5 picks and at no time did he ever have a QB with 60% completion those teams were G&P and a strong D.. Of course that was then and this is now and a top QB is needed..

Listen the 1990 Giants after Simms and Rodney Hampton got hurt would run OJ Anderson right and left on first and second down almost every series and nobody could stop their running game. That was the last real ground and pound. Along with a great defense.

Also Parcells kept saying that they won't even get past the Bears at the first home playoff game according to the media to the players over and

over again. They crushed the Bears, shut them out before going to sf.

Because another poster said they wanted an "experienced HC" instead of a newbie OC or DC, and I listed all the former HC candidates. He was one of them.

See how that works?

Candidates for what? Just a list of former head coaches that aren't dead?

The Jets interviewed Marrone and wanted to talk to Kubiak. That's it. It's obvious that NFL head coaching experience isn't a high priority to the team. I'm really not sure why anyone is bent out of shape that the Jets aren't getting a retread. I'd prefer the unknown when you already know the known isn't good enough, ya know?

Candidates for what? Just a list of former head coaches that aren't dead?

The Jets interviewed Marrone and wanted to talk to Kubiak. That's it. It's obvious that NFL head coaching experience isn't a high priority to the team. I'm really not sure why anyone is bent out of shape that the Jets aren't getting a retread. I'd prefer the unknown when you already know the known isn't good enough, ya know?

Former HCs that are looking for jobs in January 2015.

Me too. 

Archived