Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

Jetfan13

I do not want my head coach calling all the plays from the sideline.  For offense or defense.  I want a head coach.  He can do almost all of his suggesting during game prep, and come game day, manage the affairs of the game.  I wonder who Quinn would want as a DC?

I think the coach has to have some say in the minute to minute calling of plays, because he has to be in tune with the whole team.  Lets say, the wind is blowing hard, which means special teams are going to be compromised, that should factor into the playcalling on both sides of the field.  I don't think they need to call all the plays, but they need to be intune enough to intervene at times and change the plans.  

I think that was one of the issues we had here, because the OC and the HC were on different planes.  MM loves to pass, Rex loves to run, and it seemed like they were just pushing back and forth.  Almost like they traded calls, so we would see something that seemed to be working, but it was then the other guy's turn and he was stubborn to stay with his ways so we went away from it, and threw off the rhythm. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the coach has to have some say in the minute to minute calling of plays, because he has to be in tune with the whole team.  Lets say, the wind is blowing hard, which means special teams are going to be compromised, that should factor into the playcalling on both sides of the field.  I don't think they need to call all the plays, but they need to be intune enough to intervene at times and change the plans.  

I think that was one of the issues we had here, because the OC and the HC were on different planes.  MM loves to pass, Rex loves to run, and it seemed like they were just pushing back and forth.  Almost like they traded calls, so we would see something that seemed to be working, but it was then the other guy's turn and he was stubborn to stay with his ways so we went away from it, and threw off the rhythm. 

Sure, he should make game day decisions, and he should suggest more run or more this or that.  He is the boss.  Not a coordinator. I agree with you. It is a collaborative effort.  I just do not want to see him with a clipboard of many colors, barking out play calls.  A guy who is calling every play cannot really be in tune with all phases. 

Fair enough.

I probably would have taken Bortles too though. I had him and Carr as the better QB choices. 

I wasn't sure on Bortles, but I also didn't do much scouting on QBs since we were (apparently) set at QB with Geno.  The two games that I did see from Bortles, I wasn't really impressed, because everytime the actually needed a big play, it was always the RB Storm Johnson that seemed to come through with the play.  Now, I don't know if teams were playing back to make the RB beat them because they respected Bortles too much or not though.   He has all the physical tools to dominate though, and I'm not sure what happened to him during the season last year.  He looked amazing in the preseason, and then just fell apart.  

I liked Bridgewater the best, I thought he had a good package of everything I would want in the QB.  Decent mobility, good arm, ran a good offense.  Carr was really good too, very good arm, and anticipation on his throws.  

Sure, he should make game day decisions, and he should suggest more run or more this or that.  I agree with you. It is a collaborative effort.  I just do not want to see him with a clipboard of many colors, barking out play calls.

Yeah, we need coordinators that are actually on the same page with the HC.  I think with Rex, he was such a DC at heart that he just couldn't couldn't secede control of that side of the ball, and I think he really went with emotion more times than not with the playcalls.  

Almost on all third downs, he went with the huge blitzes because he wanted that big sack to fire up the team, even though on a lot of occassions it misfired into a completion and a first down because all the WRs were one on one.  

No offense buddy, but this is an extremely ignorant point of view. Coaches come up in one of 3 phases. Just because our last HC was defense, doesn't mean our next one shouldn't or can't be. Quinn has already exhibited a far more methodical approach than that of Rex. Rex was good at defense, nothing else. Quinn is good at defense, and conceivably everything else.

I almost root for Quinn to get the job just so that people can learn this. 

Well said. I agree, I'm in for Quinn.

Yeah, we need coordinators that are actually on the same page with the HC.  I think with Rex, he was such a DC at heart that he just couldn't couldn't secede control of that side of the ball, and I think he really went with emotion more times than not with the playcalls.  

Almost on all third downs, he went with the huge blitzes because he wanted that big sack to fire up the team, even though on a lot of occassions it misfired into a completion and a first down because all the WRs were one on one.  

I actually think MM was not Rex's call, and Schitty was here when he came.  The only one he called was Sparano.  Pretty bad call.  But you are right.  He and MM were a terrible match.

I know i'm overreacting ...  It's just I was really hoping the organization would go in the experienced and/or offense direction.

This seems like this is it - and I'm just not happy.  

Quinn may very well turn out to be great (I know little about him) and I guess we're gonna find out.

If you know little about him would you kindly shut the **** up?

I actually think MM was not Rex's call, and Schitty was here when he came.  The only one he called was Sparano.  Pretty bad call.  But you are right.  He and MM were a terrible match.

MM was all Rex (was there really any doubt?):

Idzik’s arrival came on the same day Coach Rex Ryan made the most critical decision of his tenure, choosing Marty Mornhinweg, who spent the previous 10 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, as the team’s offensive coordinator. The Jets, who went 6-10 this season, lost nine members of their coaching staff in the last three weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/19/sports/football/jets-select-john-idzik-general-manager-and-marty-mornhinweg-as-offensive-coordinator.html?_r=0

Don't you guys think he lacks experience, He was a dline coach for a 2 years for3 diff teams. And he spend 1 year running the same Defense that was there before him in Seattle. I understand that he is a jersey guy, but to me he seems to be more hype and less portfolio.

Don't you guys think he lacks experience, He was a dline coach for a 2 years for3 diff teams. And he spend 1 year running the same Defense that was there before him in Seattle. I understand that he is a jersey guy, but to me he seems to be more hype and less portfolio.

Yes, I think it's a crappy decision if true.  We've gone down the first time DC road the last three hires and none of them have worked out.  I am on the retread train.

This is less than a coin flip right now. I don't think Quinn has any idea what hes signing on for. I hope someone is in his ear telling him that he needs to start insulating himself from the owner and the media, otherwise, he's DOA.

If you know little about him would you kindly shut the **** up?

Did you read what was written or just simply wanted to curse at someone?

I really don't understand the anger in people - it's a message board for opinions - if one doesn't align with yours you really shouldn't tell people to shut up...

I said I don't want another defensive guy - I know that's what he is...and I'm not happy about that decision.

If it is merely hype, why did every team with an opening ask to interview him? People that run NFL franchises think his resume is just fine.

B623df0CIAA-BRA.png

Brian Bassett at JetBlog just posted this.   Not sure I believe it.  Question is: Does Woody believe it...

Woody has almost certainly seen this and likely many others....He manages this team like a PR department - it does what's best for the image and not necessarily what's best for the team.  Quinn is a nice, easy choice....

This is less than a coin flip right now. I don't think Quinn has any idea what hes signing on for. I hope someone is in his ear telling him that he needs to start insulating himself from the owner and the media, otherwise, he's DOA.

He was the DL coach here under Mangini for a couple years, he should have some idea. 

Does anybody else feel that if the Jets hired Lombardi .Walsh, Noll and Parcells to be their HC and coordinators, the same posters that usually whine about their suffering would whine about their suffering and unhappiness with the choices

Does anybody else feel that if the Jets hired Lombardi .Walsh, Noll and Parcells to be their HC and coordinators, the same posters that usually whine about their suffering would whine about their suffering and unhappiness with the choices

It's a Pavlov thing.  Anything the Jets do will suck and be covered by the media as sucking. 45+ yrs with no SB's will do that...

There are actually many people that simply didn't want another first time HC - DC....

I think it's actually a very reasonable disappointment.

I know I, for one, was good with Kubiak or Marrone 

The Seahawks have some very savvy fans, it seems:

Screw the Jets, they'd be making another huge mistake taking Quinn when they really need to fix their O.

It doesn't matter much who their HC is because they eat their young are savaged by local mediots and really have no QB. Their owner is smiling schmuck who doesn't know much about football but will figure a way to screw up their FO. The 'Woody' ownership period has been a disaster for the Jets. Not for long is the career expectancy of any coach/GM the Jets pick. It was surprising Rex Ryan lasted that long there. Idzik wasn't given a fair shot as he tried to unravel the previous personnel and cap mess created by the prior GM.

Quinn needs to look elsewhere b/c he'd be making a huge mistake signing with them. A college gig would be smarter until a better option surfaced if DQ really wants to be a head coach.

I think the #1 requirement for the next coach to succeed here is an ability to tell Woody to go sweep the parking lot while the paid professionals are trying to work. I'm not sure if Dan Quinn has that type of leverage or personality, and that's a large part of the reason why I liked the idea of Marrone. Marrone is the honey badger.

I think the #1 requirement for the next coach to succeed here is an ability to tell Woody to go sweep the parking lot while the paid professionals are trying to work. I'm not sure if Dan Quinn has that type of leverage or personality, and that's a large part of the reason why I liked the idea of Marrone. Marrone is the honey badger.

the parking lot could use a good sweeping. Those burpers and farters and people who tailgate to Poison and pee on car sure do a number on them. 

There are actually many people that simply didn't want another first time HC - DC....

I think it's actually a very reasonable disappointment.

I know I, for one, was good with Kubiak or Marrone 

How many former HC's have won a Bowl with a new team?? 

The Seahawks have some very savvy fans, it seems:

Screw the Jets, they'd be making another huge mistake taking Quinn when they really need to fix their O.

It doesn't matter much who their HC is because they eat their young are savaged by local mediots and really have no QB. Their owner is smiling schmuck who doesn't know much about football but will figure a way to screw up their FO. The 'Woody' ownership period has been a disaster for the Jets. Not for long is the career expectancy of any coach/GM the Jets pick. It was surprising Rex Ryan lasted that long there. Idzik wasn't given a fair shot as he tried to unravel the previous personnel and cap mess created by the prior GM. 

Quinn needs to look elsewhere b/c he'd be making a huge mistake signing with them. A college gig would be smarter until a better option surfaced if DQ really wants to be a head coach.

This guy must be from the area because he sure did nail it exactly on the head.   

This guy must be from the area because he sure did nail it exactly on the head.   

Right. The Jets would be making a mistake by taking Quinn. ALSO, Quinn would be making a mistake going to the jets. Huh?

Maybe we should show this guy our 4-12 record with 2 out of 12 draft picks on the team. 

Archived