Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

Jetfan13

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Not sure I want a valley girl coaching team though...and having to listen to that crap each week. Was bad enough hearing rex start every other sentence with.." no question......

Yeah, but we could probably get great prices on health food from Julie Richman's parents.

No offense buddy, but this is an extremely ignorant point of view. Coaches come up in one of 3 phases. Just because our last HC was defense, doesn't mean our next one shouldn't or can't be. Quinn has already exhibited a far more methodical approach than that of Rex. Rex was good at defense, nothing else. Quinn is good at defense, and conceivably everything else.

I almost root for Quinn to get the job just so that people can learn this.

His first official hiring for his staff looks like its going to be an offensive coordinator who has done a damn good job developing QBs and calling plays come gameday. That alone shows he knows more about being a HEAD COACH than Ryan ever did. Does nobody remember when Rex said he always imagined having Tony f*cking Sparano as his OC? Quinn picks Kyle Shanahan, Rex picks Tony Sparano. Which one do you want running your whole team?

His first official hiring for his staff looks like its going to be an offensive coordinator who has done a damn good job developing QBs and calling plays come gameday. That alone shows he knows more about being a HEAD COACH than Ryan ever did. Does nobody remember when Rex said he always imagined having Tony f*cking Sparano as his OC? Quinn picks Kyle Shanahan, Rex picks Tony Sparano. Which one do you want running your whole team?

Exactly.

Quite a thread

180+ posts, the largest % from people saying they wouldn't be unhappy with the move and then explaining in excruciating details why they are unhappy with the move.

Welcome to the world of the Jet fan. I'm convinced most of us would complain after the Jets finally win another Super Bowl that they didn't cover the spread. :sign0182:

Good to read this kind of stuff, particularly in response to the criticism that his Seattle D is "plain vanilla."  It makes sense that it would be if you have a great secondary and you don't have to rely on gimmicks. 

But the hallmark of a great coach (which is suggested in the article) is an ability to adjust your scheme to the  players you have.  The example I always think of is Pat Riley, when he coached those great Lakers teams with Magic they fast-breaked all night long and seemed to score 125 every night and won championships.  Then he came to the Knicks with Ewing and Oakley they slowed it down, rebounded and played tough D and scored 85 points a night and won divisions and even made it to the finals one year with some pretty mediocre personnel.  If he comes, let's hope he can tailor his schemes to the personnel and they can figure out a way to get a decent offense going in order to take a bit of pressure off of the D.

Good to read this kind of stuff, particularly in response to the criticism that his Seattle D is "plain vanilla."  It makes sense that it would be if you have a great secondary and you don't have to rely on gimmicks. 

But the hallmark of a great coach (which is suggested in the article) is an ability to adjust your scheme to the  players you have.  The example I always think of is Pat Riley, when he coached those great Lakers teams with Magic they fast-breaked all night long and seemed to score 125 every night and won championships.  Then he came to the Knicks with Ewing and Oakley they slowed it down, rebounded and played tough D and scored 85 points a night and won divisions and even made it to the finals one year with some pretty mediocre personnel.  If he comes, let's hope he can tailor his schemes to the personnel and they can figure out a way to get a decent offense going in order to take a bit of pressure off of the D.

I use this example all the time when talking about a great coach.  

I'm hoping he's the guy, personally. Guy called the plays the last two years (I think?), and helped mold an all-time great defense.  Say what you want about the need for offense, this guy embarrassed the greatest offense (statistically speaking) we'd ever seen last year on the biggest stage.  

Around here Kyle Shanahan is looked as a bad case of nepotism.  RGIII has not exactly developed.  It's true that Cousins looked decent under him, but Hoyer probably did better under Norv and it looks like he is running away from Johnny Football as fast as he can.  I get killing the Sparano hire, but Mornhinweg has as good a track record as Baby Shanny.

Scouring the Seahawks forums, not a lot of buzz or care that this guy is leaving.

Probably because he sucks and not because, you know, they are interested in the fact that they are playing football this weekend...

Holy confirmation bias!

Top candidate for NY Jets job, Dan Quinn, is ready to take reins, Seahawks players say 'I think he’d be fantastic,' Richard Sherman told the Daily News about the Seattle defensive coordinator.  
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Thursday, January 8, 2015, 11:04 PM
Updated: Thursday, January 8, 2015, 11:04 PM

quinn9s-1-web.jpgPAUL JASIENSKI/APSeahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, whom Jets eye as their new head coach, gets high marks from members of Seattle’s vaunted defense.

RENTON, Wash. — The loudest mouth in all of Seattle knows exactly what’s going to happen when the Seahawks’ playoff run is over.

That’s when Dan Quinn, the maestro behind the NFL’s most fearsome defense, will leave, heading off to become the head coach of some other team, bringing his potent schemes and perfect coaching attitude to another club. And Richard Sherman knows exactly how that is going to work out.

“I think he’d be fantastic,” Sherman told the Daily News.

Yeah, yeah, Sherman said, Quinn will almost certainly land in a rebuilding situation. But he can handle it.

“Obviously, you’re not always getting a great team, so it takes some time to develop,” Sherman said. “But he’ll be fantastic.”

The entire Seattle locker room knows this, because for two years, the Seahawks watched Quinn guide them to into NFL lore, the unit that stuffed Peyton Manning’s supposedly unstoppable Broncos in last season’s Super Bowl.

Two years of guiding this dominant Seattle ‘D’ have transformed Quinn into the hottest head coaching candidate in the NFL. He’s interviewed for five jobs — including the Jet vacancy — already. Every team knows it must wait for him to finish with this Seattle run, but several clubs seem content to wait.

Why? Because Quinn, who coached the Seahawks’ D-line in 2010, headed to Florida as an assistant, and then returned as defensive coordinator in 2013, has displayed a style that seems ideal for a head coach, forming bonds with his players, and extracting every last ounce of talent from his defenders.

Quinn is as much about X’s and O’s as he is about player development, as middle linebacker Bobby Wagner learned when Quinn took the job two years ago. Quinn’s first move: Sitting Wagner and breaking down his game.

“I’ve had coaches do that before,” Wagner said. “But those are coaches I’m kinda close with. This was the first thing he did.”

seahawks-minicamp-football.jpgTED S. WARREN/ASSOCIATED PRESSDan Quinn has built one of league’s best defenses.

Players love Quinn’s approach. Linebacker Bruce Irvin describes Quinn’s “realness,” and safety Kam Chancellor describes how easily Quinn manages the defense’s “multiple egos,” balancing the quiet Earl Thomas with the loquacious Sherman. “He can help multiple personalities relate to each other,” Chancellor said. “He made us believe. So yeah, I can envision him as a head coach.”

Quinn also doesn’t overburden his players with X’s and O’s. He focuses on empowering his defenders, working with the likes of Wagner, then schooling everyone in fundamentals instead of complicated schemes. Nearly every day includes a review of good tackles and bad tackles.

Quinn builds simple, straightforward defensive schemes, allowing his players to be aggressive and attack the ball. How crazy is the defensive game plan for the Seahawks team that has allowed 6.5 points per game in its last six games?

Not very.

“We don’t have to go out there and come out with this master game plan,” said linebacker K.J. Wright. “Just regular ball, just read your keys and go. If you watch us, we run pretty much simple plays. It’s not a trick that we’re doing.”

But it’s a simplicity that players love. Defensive tackle Kevin Williams, now in his 12th year, has seen far too many coaches fail because they wanted to play game-plan mad scientist.

“You get that a lot in the league,” said Williams, a first-year Hawk. “Sometimes, the coaches think up the perfect play, how to stop this or that. But when you simplify what you’re doing, everybody can play fast. Let us play faster.”

If only all coaches got that. Quinn does. And somewhere, Pete Carroll knows, he’ll be a fine head coach.

“That’s why there’s a lot of people talking to him, wanting to know where he’s going next,” Carroll said. “And you can understand that.”

Not sure if this article has been posted, but I highlighted the things that really jumped out at me. 

Archived