Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

Jetfan13

I'll bet he won't embarrass anyone by dismantling the team over the course of his tenure either.

Idzik gets credit for that one...

Rex's act wore thin, and his most egregious error was his manlove for Sanchez...  but you can't blame Rex for lack of talent when we had 25% of our salary cap in Woody's pocket

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex's act wore thin, and his most egregious error was his manlove for Sanchez...  but you can't blame Rex for lack of talent when we had 25% of our salary cap in Woody's pocket

Roster was on the rise in 2012, boy. Only a freight train like Idzik could keep it down.

Why not just keep Rex then?

This is actually kind of sickening to me...

REX hasn't had a winning season since 2010. hasn't really developed a player except 2 or 3 and has not been vocal enough to put together offensive personnel.  Other than that???  3-13 and you want to keep him?

YR1: playoffs with Mangini/Tanny/Rex roster

YR2: playoffs with Mangini/Tanny/Rex roster

YR3: disaster with Tanny/Rex roster

YR4: disaster with Tanny/Rex roster = Rex 2.0, Tanny fired

YR5: over-achievement with Tanny/Rex/Idzik roster = keep Rex again

YR6: disaster with Rex/Idzik roster = everyone fired

Over the course of Rex's tenure he dismantled this team. That's 6 years, versus the one sh*t year last year from Idzik. Rex was responsible for the downward spiral, Idzik was responsible for not bringing that downward spiral to a halt, and instead making it worse.

You have to be a delusional head-case or just completely biased not to understand how this works.

REX hasn't had a winning season since 2010. hasn't really developed a player except 2 or 3 and has not been vocal enough to put together offensive personnel.  Other than that???  3-13 and you want to keep him?

I like Rex, but it was time for him to go...Glad he's gone.

But... I also didn't want another former DL coach, who's been a short-term NFL DC and who will be a first time HC....

We needed a change and I'm glad we got one - I would have liked to have seen a move toward the offensive side of the ball for once.

McCagnan as soon as this second interview is done and the deal is signed..

NLT Monday

Quinn as soon as it is officially allowed..

OF COURSE, NOT BEFORE wink wink

Make it happen, Woody

That may turn out to be a great pairing. I am optimistic on Jets future in the draft and free agency.

There were like 8 different starters the year Rex took over including QB.  Mangina couldn't even get to the playoffs with a hall of fame QB - Rex took what you're calling "Mangini's roster" and almost went to the Super Bowl with a rookie qb.  John Idzik signs Darrelle Revis and Desean Jackson last off-season instead of wasting time with Vick, D'mitiri Patterson and Jacoby Ford and has a half-way decent draft we probably make the playoffs and "Wrecks" is still the coach.

McCagnan as soon as this second interview is done and the deal is signed..

NLT Monday

Quinn as soon as it is officially allowed..

OF COURSE, NOT BEFORE wink wink

Make it happen, Woody

Is there something specific you like about McCagnan?

I'm being sincere since all I know about the guy is what I've over the past couple of weeks - and none of it seems overly impressive.  Hoping someone has some insight into why people are high on him...

I like Rex, but it was time for him to go...Glad he's gone.

But... I also didn't want another former DL coach, who's been a short-term NFL DC and who will be a first time HC....

We needed a change and I'm glad we got one - I would have liked to have seen a move toward the offensive side of the ball for once.

Understood...BUT if he focus's on BOTH sides of the ball, brings in a good DC, a good OC, I think we'll be fine.

In theory, if he does his job well, we should be well balanced on both sides of the ball. NOT beating ourselves with penalties, poor timeout usage, too many men on the field, Wildcat etc...    

Is there something specific you like about McCagnan?

I'm being sincere since all I know about the guy is what I've over the past couple of weeks - and none of it seems overly impressive. Hoping someone has some insight into why people are high on him...

So you hate Quinn and want a failed retread.

And you hate Macagnan too, apparently.

Other than bringing back WRECKS, who should we hire?

Understood...BUT if he focus's on BOTH sides of the ball, brings in a good DC, a good OC, I think we'll be fine.

In theory, if he does his job well, we should be well balanced on both sides of the ball. NOT beating ourselves with penalties, poor timeout usage, too many men on the field, Wildcat etc...    

Agreed - hoping for the best.  My first reaction to this sounding like it's a done deal was to be PO'd because we went with a DC again - but I'm warming to it and realizing I know nothing about this guy and hope he comes in with that HC mindset and not a DC who has to deal with the annoyance of an offense.

There's a lot to like in the things I've read so far...I think his choice for DC and how much control he gives up will be telling to his mindset.  Should be a fun next few months.

Anyone have a sense as to the level of swagger Quinn would bring to the organization?

Please name me a HC who has won a SB who you would describe as having Swagger???

Pete Carroll I suppose but after that?  Swagger and SB's seem to be oil and vinegar. Id take a more cerebral coach anyday.

Wait, what?

I was asking a legitimate question - what's the deal with him and hoping someone had some background...

People could tell you or you could use that Internet thing and get the answers yourself

But it wouldn't change anything

People could tell you or you could use that Internet thing and get the answers yourself

But it wouldn't change anything

Wow, really?

I'm on a Jets message board - thought maybe someone might have some insight that I wasn't aware of...

You need to lighten up a bit - it's okay to not be so angry.  

Wow, really?

I'm on a Jets message board - thought maybe someone might have some insight that I wasn't aware of...

You need to lighten up a bit - it's okay to not be so angry.

Eric Mangini, Marty Mornhinweg, Herm Edwards and Rich Kotite all have your treasured prior HC experience.

And Matt Millen and Jeff Ireland with their prior GM experience would be choices we should have no.concerns about

One of those should be our guy.

There were like 8 different starters the year Rex took over including QB.  Mangina couldn't even get to the playoffs with a hall of fame QB - Rex took what you're calling "Mangini's roster" and almost went to the Super Bowl with a rookie qb.  John Idzik signs Darrelle Revis and Desean Jackson last off-season instead of wasting time with Vick, D'mitiri Patterson and Jacoby Ford and has a half-way decent draft we probably make the playoffs and "Wrecks" is still the coach.

I think separating them with "/" was a fairly obvious way to indicate that multiple people played a role in building the roster that went to the playoffs those years. 

Speaking of Darrelle Revis, he had a lot to do with those early successful Rex years, and he was added to the roster under Mangini and Tanny. Neither of whom I was fond of, but call it what it was. Also, Mangini's team won the same amount of games in 2008 as Rex did in 2009. The playoff berth had more to do with what other teams did, specifically the Colts benching their starters. With Favre hurt for the last 6 weeks of the 2008 season we don't know what could have been there, Favre really screwed us by not revealing the injury because he wanted to keep his stupid streak alive.

Eric Mangini, Marty Mornhinweg, Herm Edwards and Rich Kotite all have your treasured prior HC experience.

And Matt Millen and Jeff Ireland with their prior GM experience would be choices we should have no.concerns about

One of those should be our guy.

Unless I missed something, I don't think any of them were on the NYJ candidates list. 

I would have rather have had Marrone or Kubiak, yes.  Or other qualified first timers coming from the offensive side of the ball...

Why is that so hard to understand and why is it drawing so much ire ?

I'm not saying Quinn sucks or will be a bad coach - just simply I was hoping for someone with experience and if not that - coming in with a strong offensive background.

YR3: disaster with Tanny/Rex roster

YR4: disaster with Tanny/Rex roster = Rex 2.0, Tanny fired

YR5: over-achievement with Tanny/Rex/Idzik roster = keep Rex again

YR6: disaster with Rex/Idzik roster = everyone fired

Over the course of Rex's tenure he dismantled this team. That's 6 years, versus the one sh*t year last year from Idzik. Rex was responsible for the downward spiral, Idzik was responsible for not bringing that downward spiral to a halt, and instead making it worse.

You have to be a delusional head-case or just completely biased not to understand how this works.

I don't think "Rex' roster" would include Sam Adams and Joe the Plumber as the starting CB's.  

I think separating them with "/" was a fairly obvious way to indicate that multiple people played a role in building the roster that went to the playoffs those years. 

Speaking of Darrelle Revis, he had a lot to do with those early successful Rex years, and he was added to the roster under Mangini and Tanny. Neither of whom I was fond of, but call it what it was. Also, Mangini's team won the same amount of games in 2008 as Rex did in 2009. The playoff berth had more to do with what other teams did, specifically the Colts benching their starters. With Favre hurt for the last 6 weeks of the 2008 season we don't know what could have been there, Favre really screwed us by not revealing the injury because he wanted to keep his stupid streak alive.

Mangini knew about Favre's injury.  Favre admitted it.  But ofcourse the greatest drafter of all-time knew the crappy backup qb he traded for Kellen Clemens wasn't a viable option even to start for a game.

Far as Rex goes the roster was significantly different in 2009 from 2008 and the fact that he almost went to a Super Bowl with a rookie qb when Mangini couldn't even win cupcakes against bad Raider, 49er and Seahawk teams in the season with a hall of fame qb speaks volumes about how much of a better coach Ryan is than Mangini.

Unless I missed something, I don't think any of them were on the NYJ candidates list. 

I would have rather have had Marrone or Kubiak, yes.  Or other qualified first timers coming from the offensive side of the ball...

Why is that so hard to understand and why is it drawing so much ire ?

I'm not saying Quinn sucks or will be a bad coach - just simply I was hoping for someone with experience and if not that - coming in with a strong offensive background.

Dick Kotite has plenty of experience and is an offensive coach.  Let's get him.

I don't think "Rex' roster" would include Sam Adams and Joe the Plumber as the starting CB's.  

Are you guys so thick than you don't get the distinction of a roster comprised mostly of players brought here by Rex, Tanny, Mangni and/or Idzik, hence attributing those rosters to those guys?

Mangini knew about Favre's injury.  Favre admitted it.  But ofcourse the greatest drafter of all-time knew the crappy backup qb he traded for Kellen Clemens wasn't a viable option even to start for a game.

Far as Rex goes the roster was significantly different in 2009 from 2008 and the fact that he almost went to a Super Bowl with a rookie qb when Mangini couldn't even win cupcakes against bad Raider, 49er and Seahawk teams in the season with a hall of fame qb speaks volumes about how much of a better coach Ryan is than Mangini.

Ugh... I don't remember that. Makes me hate them both more.

Anyway, I'm not going to debate Mangini vs. Rex, that wasn't the point. I hated Mangini more than I ever hated Rex. Look at my signature.

The point, in my response to CTM, was that last year wasn't a sudden decline. We've been on a pretty steady decline throughout Rex's tenure. Idzik just accelerated it with one of the worst ever off-seasons I've ever seen. He punctuated an already bad situation, and that situation was Rex and Tanny's fault. Only Rex was bizarrely given a longer leash than Tanny. 

Ugh... I don't remember that. Makes me hate them both more.

Anyway, I'm not going to debate Mangini vs. Rex, that wasn't the point. I hated Mangini more than I ever hated Rex. Look at my signature.

The point, in my response to CTM, was that last year wasn't a sudden decline. We've been on a pretty steady decline throughout Rex's tenure. Idzik just accelerated it with one of the worst ever off-seasons I've ever seen. He punctuated an already bad situation, and that situation was Rex and Tanny's fault. Only Rex was bizarrely given a longer leash than Tanny. 

We should rehire Rex.

Are you guys so thick than you don't get the distinction of a roster comprised mostly of players brought here by Rex, Tanny, Mangni and/or Idzik, hence attributing those rosters to those guys?

dude.. we saw when Leonard got hurt how critical he was to that defense... + Bart Scott ... 2009 was all about having the best defense in football and those guys alone played a huge role and were brought here by Rex.

And acting like Rex was at fault for the crappy Roster Idzik put together is absurd. What HC would want that much money on the sidelines?

Rex had plenty of faults but you guys are over the top

Archived