Matt Miller's 7 Round Mock (Updated)

Morrissey

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2348680-2015-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-super-bowl-projections

6. N.Y. Jets— QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon 

Marcus Mariota entered the offseason as the hyped No. 1 player in this draft, but extended film study shows that the Oregon quarterback needs work before he's ready to be a starting quarterback.

The best bet for Mariota? Sitting for a season while learning in the NFL.

The New York Jets may not have time to let Mariota mature on the field, but they do still have Geno Smith in place, and new coordinator Chan Gailey will be patient with the young quarterback. But if Smith isn't the answer at quarterback—and he doesn't look to be—the Jets cannot wait to replace him.

Mariota has the tools and athleticism to be special. He could acclimate faster than expected and become the man for the Jets this coming season.

2ND. N.Y. Jets—CB Alex Carter, Stanford

Dee Milliner has potential, but he's yet to show it on the field. The Jets need all the help they can get in the secondary.

3rd. N.Y. JetsRB David Cobb, Minnesota

4th. N.Y. JetsWR Jamison Crowder, Duke

5th.  N.Y. JetsWR Ty Montgomery, Stanford

7th. N.Y. JetsT Eric Lefeld, Cincinnati

If Mariota is there, maybe someone would trade up for him.

I don't see the need to draft another CB this early. If the injured players come back healthy, the need for a starting corner should come via free agency.

I'll gladly take whatever package of picks Philly is offering.

If Mariota is there, maybe someone would trade up for him.

I don't see the need to draft another CB this early. If the injured players come back healthy, the need for a starting corner should come via free agency.

I know we keep drafting CBs, but based on need this suits the Jets perfectly.  The Jets needs are QB, then CB, then a host of way lesser problems.  

I know we keep drafting CBs, but based on need this suits the Jets perfectly.  The Jets needs are QB, then CB, then a host of way lesser problems.  

No more 1st round DB's PLEASE

Sign a free agent Corner like Revis and let Milliner and McDougle battle it out for the #2 CB job.

You're not going to get a #1 corner ready to play and start from day 1 in the 2nd round. That hardly ever happens. The Jets need a veteran that can hold the fort on one side while they figure out what they have in McDougle, Milliner, Walls, etc.

You're not going to get a #1 corner ready to play and start from day 1 in the 2nd round. That hardly ever happens. The Jets need a veteran that can hold the fort on one side while they figure out what they have in McDougle, Milliner, Walls, etc.

Yes please.  No more wasting first round picks on defensive backs.  Please I'm begging you Woody.  It's so brutal watching all these teams get great players on offense in the 1st round every year and we end up with the Kyle Wilsons and Calvin Pryors.

Mariota falling to 6?  We better get Scott Frost over here to be the OC otherwise this is going to be a disaster.

Believe it or not, some people believe Winston is a better QB than Mariota. Some dont even believe that he's a NFL type QB. It would be surprising to see him at #6, but it wouldnt be "shocking"

Yes please.  No more wasting first round picks on defensive backs.  Please I'm begging you Woody.  It's so brutal watching all these teams get great players on offense in the 1st round every year and we end up with the Kyle Wilsons and Calvin Pryors.

It's a 2nd rounder and it's our 2nd biggest need.  I agree we need to shore up CB in FA, but if a CB is the best player in the 2nd you are going to pass because... Kyle Wilson?  It's a new GM, let him make his own mistakes. 

It's a 2nd rounder and it's our 2nd biggest need. I agree we need to shore up CB in FA, but if a CB is the best player in the 2nd you are going to pass because... Kyle Wilson? It's a new GM, let him make his own mistakes.

I don't think if they sign a FA that it'll be their 2nd biggest need. Have to wait and see what free agency bears out.

I don't think if they sign a FA that it'll be their 2nd biggest need. Have to wait and see what free agency bears out.

I think that with Milliner and McDougle we have no idea, but I am not counting on either until they are running around.  Walls and Williams performed admirably, but meh. I want 2 new ones. 

I think that with Milliner and McDougle we have no idea, but I am not counting on either until they are running around. Walls and Williams performed admirably, but meh. I want 2 new ones.

Sure. But not in the first two rounds. We will probably be looking for a WR when they dump Harvin. And of course, a QB.

Believe it or not, some people believe Winston is a better QB than Mariota. Some dont even believe that he's a NFL type QB. It would be surprising to see him at #6, but it wouldnt be "shocking"

Now that people are actually watching Mariota play in the college fb playoffs they are seeing him as a system qb and not someone who can drop back and make reads which is the only way to win in the nfl.

29 million people watched Mariota do nothing except throw tag passes and screens for 4 quarters now have you noticed all the people on this site screaming for us to trade up or tank for him are suddenly quiet?  Incredible what happens when you actually watch the games as opposed to sportscenter highlights and youtube videos.

It's a 2nd rounder and it's our 2nd biggest need.  I agree we need to shore up CB in FA, but if a CB is the best player in the 2nd you are going to pass because... Kyle Wilson?  It's a new GM, let him make his own mistakes. 

No.

Sign a CB like Revis, even a second-tier free agent like Culliver is still an upgrade and let Milliner and McDougle battle it out for the #2 CB position.  No more 1st or even 2nd round picks on DB's I am so sick and tired of watching the Kyle Wilsons and Calvin Pryors give us nothing while everyone else in the NFL gets all these wonderful offensive players.  Enough with this.

Now that people are actually watching Mariota play in the college fb playoffs they are seeing him as a system qb and not someone who can drop back and make reads which is the only way to win in the nfl.

29 million people watched Mariota do nothing except throw tag passes and screens for 4 quarters now have you noticed all the people on this site screaming for us to trade up or tank for him are suddenly quiet?  Incredible what happens when you actually watch the games as opposed to sportscenter highlights and youtube videos.

This is true. I have to admit though, I'm even a victim of that given that I dont follow much of college football until November/December. I get ALOT of my info from Draftbreakdown.com. The difference is that they show play by play instead of just highlights. I was never impressed with Mariota. Even if you looked at a "highlight" video I wasntin awe of this guy. Jameis Winston imo looks legit though. Im not worried about his INT's this year. I think he's shown enough to not only still be a #1 pick in this years draft but to actually end up being a franchise QB based on his talent. My only worry is his mentality. Physically the kid is gifted no doubt, but will Winston get in his own way with his antics and attitude? More importantly, if Jameis somehow falls to #6 is he worth the chance? I say yeah, if he doesnt pan out, it wont be the first time that we let a #6 pick go down the drain, but if he does, which he has the ability to do it, It could change this franchise for years to come. 

Mariota #1

Melvin Gordon in Rd 2 please.

Ideal is to dump down, though. I don't want to be the team that gambles on teaching Mariota how to play in the NFL, nor do I want to be the team that hires a babysitter for Winston and his entourage.

Ehh, instead you'd rather be the team that has no quarterback prospect for the foreseeable future?  I've preferred Winston for a couple seasons now, but I would still take the shot on Mariota given the opportunity. Kid needs to sit for at least one season though.

Ehh, instead you'd rather be the team that has no quarterback prospect for the foreseeable future? I've preferred Winston for a couple seasons now, but I would still take the shot on Mariota given the opportunity. Kid needs to sit for at least one season though.

I just don't think this organization can gamble like that at this point. If Mariota sucks or Winston is getting arrested, it cripples Quinn's regime right away.

No.

Sign a CB like Revis, even a second-tier free agent like Culliver is still an upgrade and let Milliner and McDougle battle it out for the #2 CB position.  No more 1st or even 2nd round picks on DB's I am so sick and tired of watching the Kyle Wilsons and Calvin Pryors give us nothing while everyone else in the NFL gets all these wonderful offensive players.  Enough with this.

Yep,  no good teams ever draft CBs.   McDougle and Milliner for #2?  They might be battling on crutches.  Aren't you a guy that doesn't want to sign WIlkerson?  You want to put $15M for a CB?

I just don't think this organization can gamble like that at this point. If Mariota sucks or Winston is getting arrested, it cripples Quinn's regime right away.

Agreed on the later, but not having any viable QB will also cripple his regime. I dunno, a lot has to shake out in the next coming months, but there's not really a single player I'm in love with the Jets drafting. Winston is probably my top choice, but he probably goes to TB.

And he's a douchey douche on twitter.

I love when he gives advice on writing, like he's Ernest Hemingway. There are only three draft guys worth anything: Mayock, Matt Waldman, and Kiper. The rest of them just BS for ten months, wait for Kiper to say something, then ape that.

Agreed on the later, but not having any viable QB will also cripple his regime. I dunno, a lot has to shake out in the next coming months, but there's not really a single player I'm in love with the Jets drafting. Winston is probably my top choice, but he probably goes to TB.

Meh. Quinn will get a honeymoon period with no QB. If they gamble on Mariota or Winston, that honeymoon gets cut in half.

Meh. Quinn will get a honeymoon period with no QB. If they gamble on Mariota or Winston, that honeymoon gets cut in half.

I'd just rather get a QB this year, I don't think we'll be in any position to draft Cook and I'm not really crazy on Hackenberg, Gunner Kiel or Prescott.  I suppose I could be sold on Scherff, signing Iupati and going that direction, but I hate going into another season with Geno,  and a bunch of other boobs off the street like Locker. 

Jordan Philips, with the way you have them coming off the board, I would go Melvin Gordon and Tre Jackson for the pats. Vereen and Ridley are FA, Blount is only signed for one more year. Gordon back there will slow the rush and give Brady the back that he has not had since Dillon. RG has been a need since Neal retired.

I love when he gives advice on writing, like he's Ernest Hemingway. There are only three draft guys worth anything: Mayock, Matt Waldman, and Kiper. The rest of them just BS for ten months, wait for Kiper to say something, then ape that.

Kiper is spoonfed everything, doesn't analyze anyone even yourself

Yep, no good teams ever draft CBs. McDougle and Milliner for #2? They might be battling on crutches. Aren't you a guy that doesn't want to sign WIlkerson? You want to put $15M for a CB?

I'm a guy who actually wants to fill the holes on our roster instead of drafting another mediocre DB.

• 2 weeks later...

No.

Totally agree

Mariota #1

Melvin Gordon in Rd 2 please.

Ideal is to dump down, though. I don't want to be the team that gambles on teaching Mariota how to play in the NFL, nor do I want to be the team that hires a babysitter for Winston and his entourage.

Winston does things that Andrew Luck did as a prospect. He is so far advanced and does so many Pro things that hes doing things that NFL Qb's don't do in there first few seasons. As people watch tape his value will only rise and there is ZERO chance he will be there for us. 

Mariota is going to be there for us. Only chance he is not is if the new Washington GM trades out to a team that wants to get ahead of us. To me taking Mariota and sitting him for a year is a no brainer. His upside is too great to pass up on. Especially when you consider there are no other Elite prospects available at 6. 

Winston does things that Andrew Luck did as a prospect. He is so far advanced and does so many Pro things that hes doing things that NFL Qb's don't do in there first few seasons. As people watch tape his value will only rise and there is ZERO chance he will be there for us.

Mariota is going to be there for us. Only chance he is not is if the new Washington GM trades out to a team that wants to get ahead of us. To me taking Mariota and sitting him for a year is a no brainer. His upside is too great to pass up on. Especially when you consider there are no other Elite prospects available at 6.

I'm pretty sure Winston is a psychopath. Dude was passing the blunt to the cameraman in the National Championship Game when he knew all eyes were on him. No f'ing way do I risk my career on him if I'm Maccagnan and Bowles. Mariota blows. Does everything well except throw the football.

Archived