With Quinn, Expect a Ground and Pound Offense

Jetman_67

If Quinn is the new HC and I hope he is, I expect our offense to be a ground and pound offense much like Seattle. 

Although Russell Wilson seems to have all the media attention, the real weapons of that offense is the ground game, and its what sets up the pass. Their version of Ground and Pound is nothing like the Rex Ryan version. They have 2 backs who are big and strong as hell. Plus Wilson is mobile, so there is a real triple threat on the ground. 

Beast Mode isn't in the media much except when he is fined for not talking to the media. With him, Its all about that action and action is what he delivers. On a large majority of his big breakout runs, he ends up throwing a few blocks for himself. He is not afraid to take a hit or deliver one. 

When the ground game isn't working as well as they would like, the Seahawks defense generally keeps the score close to allow the offense to eventually wear down the opponent. This is a reason why, the first half of most Seahawks games is very boring. Because the defense is so good, they simply stick with the run game until it works. At some point in the second half, it does begin working. 

Russell Wilson is not a great QB. He just plays smart and protects the ball. 

I expect Quinn have the same approach with the Jets. 

Sadly, until our QB situation improves, Ground and Pound is pretty much our only option.  At least we've got a guy (Ivory) who seems capable of carrying the load.  Hopefully CJ gives us a bit more next season to compliment him.

Sadly, until our QB situation improves, Ground and Pound is pretty much our only option.  At least we've got a guy (Ivory) who seems capable of carrying the load.  Hopefully CJ gives us a bit more next season to compliment him.

You win when you also RUN the ball.

Balance is the key. We need to find a QB that protects the ball. If Geno wants to be the QB of the Jets & Quinn is our coach it needs to made clear as a bell that TOs will not be tolerated.

I'm not talking about when defenders make great plays, I'm talking about holding the ball away from your body while trying to straight arm a defender like Geno did.

Denver won a Super Bowl when Terrell Davis RAN THE BALL!

Go look at Tom Bradys numbers from his 1st Super Bowl win (pedestrian). Rams lost because Mike Martz is an idiot that forgot he had Marshall Faulk on the team.

If it was Patriots vs Seahawks in the bowl, Pats would have ZERO chance if they don't run the ball some.

Aaron Rogers might think he doesn't need a run game but they are so much more dangerous when Lacy is running too.

Ivory is a solid running back, but he should be the compliment to someone more dynamic. And Chris Johnson can go away, he's basically done.

If Quinn is the new HC and I hope he is, I expect our offense to be a ground and pound offense much like Seattle. 

Although Russell Wilson seems to have all the media attention, the real weapons of that offense is the ground game, and its what sets up the pass. Their version of Ground and Pound is nothing like the Rex Ryan version. They have 2 backs who are big and strong as hell. Plus Wilson is mobile, so there is a real triple threat on the ground. 

Beast Mode isn't in the media much except when he is fined for not talking to the media. With him, Its all about that action and action is what he delivers. On a large majority of his big breakout runs, he ends up throwing a few blocks for himself. He is not afraid to take a hit or deliver one. 

When the ground game isn't working as well as they would like, the Seahawks defense generally keeps the score close to allow the offense to eventually wear down the opponent. This is a reason why, the first half of most Seahawks games is very boring. Because the defense is so good, they simply stick with the run game until it works. At some point in the second half, it does begin working. 

Russel Wilson is an absolute explosive QB. When he was at NC State , he was outstanding. Tom Obrien was a coach who wanted a pocket QB and had no idea how to use Wilson.

Russell Wilson also makes plays.  His escapability allows him to make plays in key situations that a lot of QBs could not.  The Seattle offense would be a great Northeastern offense, with the weather here.  They do ground and pound, but Wilson is more than you say he is.

Russell Wilson also makes plays.  His escapability allows him to make plays in key situations that a lot of QBs could not.  The Seattle offense would be a great Northeastern offense, with the weather here.  They do ground and pound, but Wilson is more than you say he is.

Russel wilson makes plays and is exceedingly efficient. If he was a Jet, he'd be the best QB we've had since Namath

F'ing hate ground and pound

Ivory is a solid running back, but he should be the compliment to someone more dynamic. And Chris Johnson can go away, he's basically done.

What have you been watching? Chris Ivory is one of the most dynamic backs in football. Decisive, goes from zero to full speed in like 3 steps, and it takes 3 guys to bring him down. He is dynamic in the Marshawn Lynch mold. Dynamic does not only mean able to break a defender's ankles. Breaking his ribs and will fits the description also.

If the new coaches deploy him like Marshawn, Ivory will run for 1400 and 12. He had 13 carries or less in 11 games this past season. He had more than 20 carries only once. ONCE!

The previous CS was too freakin' stupid to give him the ball.

What have you been watching? Chris Ivory is one of the most dynamic backs in football. Decisive, goes from zero to full speed in like 3 steps, and it takes 3 guys to bring him down. He is dynamic in the Marshawn Lynch mold. Dynamic does not only mean able to break a defender's ankles. Breaking his ribs and will fits the description also.

If the new coaches deploy him like Marshawn, Ivory will run for 1400 and 12. He had 13 carries or less in 11 games this past season. He had more than 20 carries only once. ONCE!

One of the most dynamic backs in football to never have a 1,000 yard season. Cool. Got it.

He's a solid player but it's obvious to everyone else that he isn't your leading back and needs someone else in the backfield to go along with him. He should be the hammer later in halves and games that batters a defense after they've been abused for three quarters. He hasn't really made the most of his opportunities here and the Jets have given him chances and solid run blocking.

Maybe if Mahty the Moronwig didn't have him on the bench for Runintothepilefortwoyards Johnson and moronic Wildcrap plays for 50 percent of his running plays, Ivory might get more yards.

IMO he's a big time power runner held back by a pathetic OC and an imbecile clown HC

How do u make that connection? He's a DC n has ZERO input as to how Seattles offense should be run. He may very well be a GnP offense type HC, but Seattles offense doesn't suggest anything.

Maybe if Mahty the Moronwig didn't have him on the bench for Runintothepilefortwoyards Johnson and moronic Wildcrap plays for 50 percent of his running plays, Ivory might get more yards.

IMO he's a big time power runner held back by a pathetic OC and an imbecile clown HC

i agree ivory was not used well by MM..

he was damn near splitting carries with washed up johnson & zero help from the forgotten man powell..

still to many moving parts to realistically gauge what the offense would look like if quinn will in fact be the next HC..

All that crap was Rex not MM

One of the most dynamic backs in football to never have a 1,000 yard season. Cool. Got it.

He's a solid player but it's obvious to everyone else that he isn't your leading back and needs someone else in the backfield to go along with him. He should be the hammer later in halves and games that batters a defense after they've been abused for three quarters. He hasn't really made the most of his opportunities here and the Jets have given him chances and solid run blocking.

Last year he ran for 4.6 a carry, was 8th in the NFL in YPC and ran over the team avg YPC. This year he only averaged 4.1 and was under the team's YPC. What changed, Crazy? Any insight would be helpful.

Ivory is a violent RB with something of an injury history. I think it's pretty wise to use him as part of a committee approach. I'd like to see a quality receiving back brought in to compliment him. I was hoping CJ would be that guy, but he was obviously a disappointment.

As for Quinn and the Jets offense, I think with any of the front-runners, we can probably expect a conservative, run-first mentality. Two DCs and a former OL coach? These guys traditionally think the same way - limit mistakes, and capitalize on your opponents mistakes. Throw into the mix that the Jets third RB has more talent than anyone they currently have at the QB position, and it's pretty much a no-brainer. As has been discussed at length here, there's really no QB savior on the horizon, either.

Last year he ran for 4.6 a carry, was 8th in the NFL in YPC and ran over the team avg YPC. This year he only averaged 4.1 and was under the team's YPC. What changed, Crazy? Any insight would be helpful.

The first 8 games of the season, he was averaging 4.7 yards a carry. The last 8 games he was averaging 3.6 with roughly the same amount of carries (101 vs. 97). And the last 8 games was the easier part of the schedule too.

He is one of those players that get stronger as the game goes on. I think part of it was the way he was used and part of it was game situation as well. But moreover, I just don't think he's a feature back. There was a reason New Orleans let him go so cheaply. He can definitely be an asset that when deployed correctly can definitely do damage, but he should not be counted on to be the guy who gets 20-30 carries a game. Which he only got once this season.

They need to cut ties with CJ, bring back Powell and find a dynamic pass catching back in the draft somewhere. Let Powell soften the defense up, get some screens to the draft pick, and then let Ivory hammer them close and late, where he thrives.

2nd best run game in the league with Geno n Vick scaring the safeties 50 yards away from the LoS. Not sure how one even bashes the CS for the run game.

FYI, "Runintothepilefortwoyards Johnson" averaged more than "one of the most dynamic backs in the league" Ivory.

You know, if you asked every team in the NFL if they thought being able to play great defense and run the ball at will was important to them, I bet they'd say yes.

The stigma that "ground and pound" is a bad thing is the unfortunate side-effect of having had a coach use it as a sales pitch to the fans for 6 years. We were good at it when Rex got here, the offensive line and combination of Thomas Jones and Tony Richardson was the strength of the team. As those guys moved-on and Tanny, Rex and Idzik have not done a good enough job re-tooling.

Anyway, all that being said, there's nothing wrong with stifling defense, and having a run-first mentality, especially if we end up with a young QB (or game manager type). Even the teams with the best QBs in the league have made defense and the running game a priority. Look at where the Pats and Broncos spent their free agent money coming into this season.

You know, if you asked every team in the NFL if they thought being able to play great defense and run the ball at will was important to them, I bet they'd say yes.

The stigma that "ground and pound" is a bad thing is the unfortunate side-effect of having had a coach use it as a sales pitch to the fans for 6 years. We were good at it when Rex got here, the offensive line and combination of Thomas Jones and Tony Richardson was the strength of the team. As those guys moved-on and Tanny, Rex and Idzik have not done a good enough job re-tooling.

Anyway, all that being said, there's nothing wrong with stifling defense, and having a run-first mentality, especially if we end up with a young QB (or game manager type). Even the teams with the best QBs in the league have made defense and the running game a priority. Look at where the Pats and Broncos spent their free agent money coming into this season.

G&P can work as long as you don't pass like a A$$ which was our problem most of the time.. :animal0029:

You can thank Rex for the wildcrap plays. Rex told his OCs to run it often because he found it hard to stop as a DC. You'll notice all three of Rex's OCs ran it consistently. Whereas other than the dolphins 1 year I haven't seen any other team use it so much if at all.

G&P can work as long as you don't pass like a A$$ which was our problem most of the time.. :animal0029:

Exactly. The issue here wasn't "g&p". It was, and has been, having QB's that turn the ball over 20+ times a season going back about 10 years now.

Archived