CJ arrested on gun charge

32EBoozer

Jets running back Chris Johnson was arrested in Orlando last night on misdemeanor weapons charge. The police report states he was in violation of “open carrying of a weapons/firearms” (Esola, Jan. 10).

Johnson signed a 2-year deal with the Jets last off season worth $4 million per year. The 29-year-old was brought in to strengthen the Jets running game. The signing didn’t work out as planned. After never failing to rush for 1,000 yards in a season, Johnson rushed for only 663 yards and had 151 receiving yards, both career lows.

Unless he's required to give back bonus money he's already received, no.

Doubt his 2015 $ is guaranteed, so it makes no difference if he's cut or suspended or traded.

They'll save $3.5 mil in cap space and carry $1.75 in dead money. So they create an additional $1.75mil in cap space.

I'd cut him.

I agree that CJ was atrociously ineffective this season, but I also put that on the plays they had him run. The man should not be running Dives & Through-the-line plays, but sweeps, screens, and swing passes to get him the ball in OPEN space where he is most effective.

Depending on the future OC and how he can utilize CJ and if there isn't any cheaper upgrade (draft pick with sick speed in the 4th round lets say) then CJ still might be worth keeping.

He's gone draft Melvin Gordon

This.

Love Gordon...maybe not as high as 6, but I wouldn't be upset if we did pull the trigger on him at 6. . I want RBs in here for what, in all likelihood, will be our zone blocking running attack.

With that said, I think CJ can have success in the same scheme. For 4 mil, I'd keep him around.

Release this bum.

Its a puzzle why they gave CJ that many carries, he can't move the pile and can't turn the corner -- Bilal Powell is as good or better than CJ and better

at picking up blitzes, but they did not utilize Bilal this year.

Melvin Gordon is the best RB in college football if he's there at 6 you draft him and you pair him up with Ivory

Powell if resigned adds to the mix this team hasn't had a RB who is capable of putting up 1000 yard seasons since Curtis Martin retired

I thought Thomas Jones did a few times with the Jets....even Shonn. Greene put up 1K

Melvin Gordon is the best RB in college football if he's there at 6 you draft him and you pair him up with Ivory

Powell if resigned adds to the mix this team hasn't had a RB who is capable of putting up 1000 yard seasons since Curtis Martin retired

Stop it. The days of top 10 draft picks being used on running backs is over. Capital O. If we draft Gordon 6th overall then I am done. Fortunately, I don't think the Jets are that stupid. Remember when Trent Richardson was a "can't miss" prospect?

Stop it. The days of top 10 draft picks being used on running backs is over. Capital O. If we draft Gordon 6th overall then I am done. Fortunately, I don't think the Jets are that stupid. Remember when Trent Richardson was a "can't miss" prospect?

No I won't ,we need a burner RB goodbye.

Another high character FA signing by the Jets.

if you are a real past* fan you remember christian peter, right ?

Arrests and convictions[edit]

While at Nebraska, Peter had eight run-ins with the law for various offenses such as threatening a parking attendant while his vehicle was being towed, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, minor in possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and allegedly grabbing a woman by the throat. He was convicted four times. [3][4]

Most infamously, he was alleged to have raped Kathy Redmond,[5] a freshman from Littleton, Colorado; two times in two days—the second with two of his teammates keeping watch. Redmond didn't report it to police until after her freshman year. Redmond's parents confronted various Nebraska coaches about it, but Peter was never charged or disciplined. This inaction led Redmond to file a Title IX suit against Nebraska in 1995; the suit was settled two years later with Nebraska paying $50,000 and the other two agreeing to pay an undisclosed sum of money. Former coach Tom Osborne has since apologized to Redmond and the two have reconciled.[3] Recently, Osborne invited Redmond to speak to the football team about violence against women.

In 1993, Peter was alleged to have sexually violated Melissa DeMuth in his dorm room, though he was never charged over the alleged incident. He was accused of groping Natalie Kuijvenhoven (a former Miss Nebraska) in a crowded bar and told her how she "loved it" in an "obscenity-laced tirade". He was convicted and sentenced to 18 months probation, and was suspended for a 1993 exhibition game.[3]

Professional career[edit]

Peter was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fifth round of the 1996 NFL Draft. Only a month before the draft, he notched his eighth conviction in seven years, this time for grabbing a woman's throat in a Kearney, Nebraska bar.[6] The pick set off a firestorm of criticism from the Boston area press, Patriots fans and women's groups, as well as Myra Kraft, wife of Patriots owner Robert Kraft.[7] After learning more about Peter's violent history, the Patriots relinquished the rights to Christian only a week after the draft. The team said that Christian's behavior was "incompatible with our organization's standards of acceptable conduct."[8]According to The Boston Globe, Myra Kraft, the wife of Patriots owner Robert Kraft, personally demanded that the team cut all ties with Peter.[3] It was the first time in NFL history that a drafted player had been waived by a team before the start of training camp.[9]

Archived