Gary Kubiak is the guy to hire this week.

Shockwave

Started a similar thread on another site, and I am really surprised more Jets fans don't feel this way.  Kubiak is absolutely the guy you hire.

I'm not sure how anyone could prefer Quinn, a DC with 2 years experience coaching the unit with the most talent in the league.  He and all of the Seattle defenders readily admit and even tout the fact that the success of their defense has nothing to do with scheme, and everything to do with keeping things simple and letting the players "play fast".  That's great when you have Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, etc. 

I believe this would be a miserable failure - another rookie HC who will be learning on the job paired with an OC whose claim to fame is one good year with Robert Griffin until the league figured out the gimmick of the read option.

Kubiak has the proven pedigree (QB coach and SB in 1994 with Steve Young/Seifert, 11 years OC and 2 SB titles under Mike Shanahan, Prior Head coaching experience - won back to back division titles in 2011 (10-6) and 2012 (12-4) with Matt Schaub as QB before being fired the very next year after starting 2-11 due largely to injuries.

Kubiak is the guy - go get him Woody!!

Steve Young was a All Pro before Kubiak got to the 49'ers which was just one year..

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, so what? I never thought much of Kotite as an OC and was not happy when he was hired as HC. So that means all OC's suck as a HC? Don't understand your reasoning.

My point is Kubiak is a good OC he has had a stroke coaching the Texans as HC I don't think he could stand the stress of NY..

He's on his 3rd, also coached the pats

Apparently you missed this part of my post:  Carroll although technically not on his 2nd pro gig (only 1 season with Jets)

I already acknowledged that but included him since he had only one season with the Jets.  

My point is Kubiak is a good OC he has had a stroke coaching the Texans as HC I don't think he could stand the stress of NY..

Your post that I replied to didn't mention anything about the stroke. I'm really not worried about that if his doctors have cleared him and he feels he can handle the pressure.

Steve Young was a All Pro before Kubiak got to the 49'ers which was just one year..

What is your point?  Does this make his resume any less impressive?  The point in listing his accomplishments is to show he has a proven track record of running successful NFL offenses over a large number of years and has worked with some of the most brilliant minds in the game.

He's won the SB 3 times as an offensive assistant, has prior head coaching experience, and made Matt Schaub a pro bowl QB who won back to back division titles.

There is no debate that Kubiak is an offensive mastermind.  People may choose to question other things - health, defensive acumen, etc. but saying Steve Young was an all-pro prior to Kubiak's arrival is just a dumb thing to say.  It's no coincidence that Steve Young never won a SB prior to working with Kubiak

I have no idea if Kubiak even wants to be a HC again...that said, it would be wrong to not even extend an offer to see what he has to say, kick the tires and see what's left in the tank.  He's got HC experience and HC experience in the playoffs...he wouldn't be learning on the job like a new HC.

I don't know if he's the right guy at the right time...have no idea....but I'd rather Kubiak than Marrone for instance.

IIRC Kubiak had a TIA back with HOU which can be due any number of factors, a lot of which may have no long term consequences.

For all we know, Kubiak may not even be interested...but ya got to talk to him if he is.

It was also an expansion team and you need to factor that in.

His first year was that franchises fifth season. Carolina and Jacksonville had already been in the playoffs and win a division title by that time. Kubiak doesn't get a "expansion team" grace period.

I don't think he had a stroke.

On November 3, 2013, Kubiak collapsed as he was walking off the field at halftime of the team's game against the Indianapolis Colts. He was put on a backboard and stretcher and transported to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Initial reports state that he did not have a heart attack.[19] An NFL report on Monday, November 4, 2013 indicated that he had suffered a "transient ischemic attack" (a TIA), or relatively brief, non-permanent symptoms of disorientation, confusion, dizziness, forgetfulness, and/or vertigo (among many other possibilities), that occurs when a blood vessel or vessels in part(s) of the brain are temporarily but not permanently blocked, usually by a stationary clot (a thrombus) or one that has broken off and traveled to occlude another area (an embolus). Especially if they are not properly treated in a timely manner the way the coach's was, they can mean that a more permanent stroke (or cerebrovascular accident, CVA) can and likely will eventually happen.

Assuming MacCagnan is named the GM, shouldn't he be deciding if Kubiak or Quinn or even Bowles is a better fit?  I wonder how much stroke Woody gives Casserly/Wolf in the final HC selection if he has his GM on board first?

Just wondering...

Assuming MacCagnan is named the GM, shouldn't he be deciding if Kubiak or Quinn or even Bowles is a better fit? I wonder how much stroke Woody gives Casserly/Wolf in the final HC selection if he has his GM on board first?

Just wondering...

I spoke to two Jets employees that said the decision is 100% Woody Johnson's.

Kubiak was very mediocre with the Texans and we beat them like a drum with Rex and Sanchez.  No thanks.

+1 What I find funny is Rex sucks with 4 playoff wins but only 2 winning seasons in 6 yet Kubiak is the way to go with 3 winning season in 8 and 2 playoff wins..And 1-2 playing Ryans Jets LOL

+1 What I find funny is Rex sucks with 4 playoff wins but only 2 winning seasons in 6 yet Kubiak is the way to go with 3 winning season in 8 and 2 playoff wins..And 1-2 playing Ryans Jets LOL

IMO Rex didn't suck...but he didn't fulfill all the requirements of a HC.  Poor in-game management, no effective O input and poor discipline as evidenced by on field penalties.  But he was learning his craft on the job, so I was willing to be patient.

We have NO IDEA what Quinn will be, but if he's the hire, I'm all in.

But with a newbie GM assuming that we hire a cap guy, got to think that Kubiak wouldn't be a bad choice for HC.  Kubiak has a longer coaching experience as an OC and HC than Quinn has even been in the NFL as a coach.

Maybe Quinn is the real deal, maybe not.  Perhaps Kubiak does better in a return engagement with the Jets...NO ONE KNOWS.

If Kubiak can fix the O, develop a QB and has enough connections to bring in a bonafide DC, it could work if MacCagnan can find the talent.

Att his point,we don't even know if Kubiak will entertain the request for an interview...guess we'll find out soon...ike tomorrow.

I think more than his failures in Houston or Rex's success here, Kubiak is becoming a symbol of coaching to win games vs. coaching not to lose them.  He may not be the best candidate. But I think many of the pro-Kubiak posts are simply acknowledging that he and Harbaugh showed alot of cojones in today's game and against Pittsburgh last week while the Marty and Rex show would be running the wildcat or throwing fade routes in the end zone to protect the FG.  

+1 What I find funny is Rex sucks with 4 playoff wins but only 2 winning seasons in 6 yet Kubiak is the way to go with 3 winning season in 8 and 2 playoff wins..And 1-2 playing Ryans Jets LOLR

Rex was never mentioned here. But since you brought him up: I am a fan of his - But he doesn't match up here anymore. He's a defensive coach that needs to go somewhere that has a really good offense for him to be successful. 

Its the same reason Kubiak needs to go somewhere with a good defense. Hes an offensive guy. Kubiak has developed linemen and Rb's from mid-late round picks everywhere he's been. He will absolutely fix the offense here. 

No other hire has any type of history that would suggest they could fix this offense. We had a great defensive coach - Why in the world would we replace him with a lesser defensive coach? Just makes no sense. 

Heres hoping Seattle goes to the Superbowl and Kubiak decides to accept our interview request. 

For almost 15 years the Jets have done the same thing. We hire first time coaches that specialize on the defensive side of the ball. Its looking like it may happen again and it just seems crazy to me.

We have had a bottom 5 offense for years now. We have not a Franchise QB in forever. Coaches like Quinn have proved what? That they could call plays for superstars? Gus Bradley was the DC there when those guys blew up. All Doug Marrone did is bench CJ Spiller and EJ Manual and ride a defense to 9-7.

Well that is exactly where Gary Kubiak fits in. He has developed middle round lineman, QB's and has developed a ton of undrafted running backs in Denver and Houston. He is the exact man we need here. He never had a good defense and thats exactly what hes walking into here.

He is now available and fits perfect with our GM. This is absolutely the guy to go get.

Please elaborate on how much Kubisk has accomplished.

I want no part of Kubiak. He's another Rex Ryan, on offense. Good coordinator, not cut out to be a headcoach. And that's what he should stick to. And to be honest he didn't exactly do a great job in Baltimore. That offense looked awful at times which I find crazy considering how much talent they have at QB/RB/O-Line and WR especially. Give me Dan Quinn, all day.

Kubiak coordinated the "best loser team in the playoffs yesterday" and over 8 years as a HC "one of the best losing teams in the league"

We gotta sign him...he will fit right in on "the best 4-12 team in the NFL"

Sorry...voting no on another WRECKS

All in on Quinn

Dan Quinn is the flavor because he has an Allstar defense.  aka the zen master (see the New York Knicks).  Dan Quinn will and will only be successful with the new york jets if he bring the seattle defense to the JETS  :winking0001: This dude will not be successful in New York if he is made coach.  we might as well go with Todd Bowles he took ordinary guys and made a heck of a defense.  the JETS right now need an offensive guru and bring back Thurman and Dunbar for defense.

Dan Quinn is the flavor because he has an Allstar defense. aka the zen master (see the New York Knicks). Dan Quinn will and will only be successful with the new york jets if he bring the seattle defense to the JETS :winking0001: This dude will not be successful in New York if he is made coach. we might as well go with Todd Bowles he took ordinary guys and made a heck of a defense. the JETS right now need an offensive guru and bring back Thurman and Dunbar for defense.

Good post....I think you need to repeat it in as many threads as you possibly can...Always works well for TX

Archived