First HC Hired - Rex to Bills

JetsFanatic

Rex will probably fail in Buffalo, but he'll beat the Jets.

Initially yes.  He'll take a few ex-Jets with him and make his games with us his personal Super Bowl, even when we're rebuilding and not much of a factor.  It's Year 2-3 of his tenure that will be really matter.  If he's still kicking our asses then, then yes, the biggest Rex supporters can certainly remind all of us to eat crow.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bills are so desperate for an identity and to make a "splash."

Rex fits the bill (no pun) perfectly.  He gives players a reason to want to stay in Buffalo, gives the blue collar town an "everyman" head coach who sh*t talks in plain talk. 

It's a smart hire for that organization.

Their young GM moved up to draft Sammy Watkins basically admitting that the town needed a star, needed splash. 

Many of us will always root for Rex, you can't help but like the guy - I wish he'd have gone out of the division but it makes it fun and exciting.  The AFCE may be the most incestuous division in football however.

Almost forgot Pace's 2.4 mil salary along with Landrys 1.5. And Mo n Snacks will need to be resigned too, but I guess they wouldn't ask for than couple mil each, right?

Give me a break.

What are you even talking about? Mo is going to get his contract, the same way Dareus is going to get his contract. Snacks will be tendered, Kyle Williams is already playing on a big contract and he'll get a new one pretty soon. Jerry Hughes is looking for a big contract. Mario Williams is on a 100 mil. contract. So, again, what the hell is your point? You act like all our guys are about to get paid while Buffalos defenders are set and about to retire.

So Roman runs the O, Schwartz runs the D.  What exactly will Rex do?  Stare at the clock and ask Jeff Weeks if it's too early to call a timeout?

I think he's been working on a ventriliquism routine for press conferences. Also, I'd imagine there is a book deal in place already, "Blame like you mean it."

What happened to Rex not even having a shot at a HC gig? LOL!!

Anyway, this is typical Jets. Rex in Buffalo, Revis in New England... how about we go ahead and cut Sheldon Richardson so Miami can sign him? Complete the trifecta. This team, this organization has no identity and is headed nowhere.

This is like that time you started dating a girl and things were going great for a while but she went a little. You keep her around for a little too long in hopes it could be that good again. Then, when you finally dump her and you're ready to move on. She gets with one of your boys. Like, ****, I thought I got rid of you, go away bitch.

No, this is like having a girl who started out hot and got fat, then she ends up with one of your cousins you dislike a little.  You laugh at him and move on with your life.

Your entire consortium has been exposed as the fraud many of us knew it was.

The very 1st coach hired by the team that interviewed the most candidates? Ouch babe.

You make it sound like the coaching talent pool was full of top talent. The best available anywhere right now were Todd Bowles and Rex Ryan. Quinn, McDaniels etc are all locked up on playoff runs.

Which leads me to my second point, which is that the dozen guys they interviewed really mean jack in terms of peer prestige because the fact that they were available for hire is a function of their not being involved in January football.

The Rexists will go to great lengths. You make it sound like they just scooped up Dick LeBeau.

Not sure if I remember this correctly, but was AL Groh the HC of the Jets the year Brady won his 1st Super Bowl ? Didn't the Jets with Vinny at QB had the Patriots on the ropes with their season on the line before the Jets blew the Game ? Didn't Groh make a comment about Vinny giving the game away with his INTs ?

Am I all wet old friend ?

Yes you are drowning.. Groh was the HC in 2000 the year both Chad and Brady were drafted and the Monday Night Miracle game. . And Vinny had the Ravens on the ropes(Bowl winner that year) before he got too smart by half.. Brady and the Pats won the Bowl in 2001.

coples ?

most teams run multiple fronts, they will find a way to keep snacks imho

Coples would be the LE.  

Look, I'm not saying we let go of Snacks if we can't get an awesome deal for him.  But if Rex decides to offer us a 2nd rounder for him (when he already has no 1st rounder), or even a 3rd and 5th/6th, you do that deal every time.  He's a very good player but again, he would NOT be a fit for us if we move to 4-3.  

What happened to Rex not even having a shot at a HC gig? LOL!!

Anyway, this is typical Jets. Rex in Buffalo, Revis in New England... how about we go ahead and cut Sheldon Richardson so Miami can sign him? Complete the trifecta. This team, this organization has no identity and is headed nowhere.

So you are now a Cowboys fan.

Yes you are drowning.. Groh was the HC in 2000 the year both Chad and Brady were drafted and the Monday Night Miracle game. . And Vinny had the Ravens on the ropes(Bowl winner that year) before he got too smart by half.. Brady and the Pats won the Bowl in 2001.

Thanks for the tree branch old man. Was going under quick .

You make it sound like the coaching talent pool was full of top talent. The best available anywhere right now were Todd Bowles and Rex Ryan. Quinn, McDaniels etc are all locked up on playoff runs.

Which leads me to my second point, which is that the dozen guys they interviewed really mean jack in terms of peer prestige because the fact that they were available for hire is a function of their not being involved in January football.

The Rexists will go to great lengths. You make it sound like they just scooped up Dick LeBeau.

And the Rex haters said he would never get another HC gig.. It seems one side was correct.. BTW Dick LeBeau was a HC for the Bengals who could forget those great 12 wins in 3 seasons..

The Bills are so desperate for an identity and to make a "splash."

Rex fits the bill (no pun) perfectly.  He gives players a reason to want to stay in Buffalo, gives the blue collar town an "everyman" head coach who sh*t talks in plain talk. 

It's a smart hire for that organization.

Their young GM moved up to draft Sammy Watkins basically admitting that the town needed a star, needed splash. 

Many of us will always root for Rex, you can't help but like the guy - I wish he'd have gone out of the division but it makes it fun and exciting.  The AFCE may be the most incestuous division in football however.

It's a smart hire initially but not a smart long-term move.  Remember, we were that "Blue Collar team" too once.  It all faded away starting in Year 3.  

This is just further proof that teams almost always are in flux between Task Masters and Player Coaches.  Marrone was a task master, so they hired a fun player's coach in Rex.  Just like we went from player coach Herm to task master Mangini to player coach Rex.  I bet the Niners get a "Players coach" to replace Harbaugh too.

The sooner teams realize they don't have to make knee-jerk reactions and go with a COMPLETELY opposite personality every time they make a HC hire, the better.  You can hire a jerk after firing a different jerk, as long as the new jerk knows football and how to get the most out of his players.  You can also hire back to back player coaches as long as your new coach isn't a buffoon.  Easier said than done but that's why these GM's make the money they do.

Now that the Bills finally got a good HC, the AFCE will now be between the Pats and Bills for years to come. Jets will fight it out with the Phins to stay out of the basement.

With Rex going to the Bills your material will write itself in the 2015 season.. What a gift for you..LOL

Yes the "Rex gets all the credit when we get to the playoffs, but no blame whatsoever when we suck argument, and it has to be the GM, GM#2, OC, OC#2, OC#3, QB1, QB2s fault" LAME-O argument. Rex DID get worse, and he was not that good to begin with. 

I didn't say he gets all the credit.  Nor should he get all the blame.  Tannenbaum did a great job in building the 2 AFCC teams, before Rex, and put the final pieces together while Rex was there.  Problems started when we signed Santonio Holmes to a huge contract and people had to go. The Sanchez contract put the icing on the cake, but at that point in time we had not choice but to resign Sanchez.  Holmes on the other hand we should have let go. 

The impact was that we several former pro-bowl players which were the anchors of the team.  D. Woody, LT, Tony Richardson, Braylon, Moore and non pro bowlers Cotchery, Slausen, Hartsock, Keller.   Later Greene and Sanchez were gone.  That's 9 out of 11 players.  Since then we've been plugging holes, while Idzik was creating some new ones on Defense.  

With a good GM, and OC Rex should do well in Buffalo.

And the Rex haters said he would never get another HC gig.. It seems one side was correct.. BTW Dick LeBeau was a HC for the Bengals who could forget those great 12 wins in 3 seasons..

First, I'm not a Rex hater. I called for his outater two years ago but that was more a function ofwhat I saw happening in front of my very eyes. You don't get successful by hoping a failing idea is some how going to start working.

Second I never said he wouldn't get another job. I am just saying that being first picked out of a crate of average apples isn't anything to hang your hat on.

To Pacs line of thinking, it's kind of like "hey I just got fired as general mgr of the Rochester Wegmans, but I'm running Topps now so I'm great at what I do. "

First, I'm not a Rex hater. I called for his outater two years ago but that was more a function ofwhat I saw happening in front of my very eyes. You don't get successful by hoping a failing idea is some how going to start working.

Second I never said he wouldn't get another job. I am just saying that being first picked out of a crate of average apples isn't anything to hang your hat on.

I didn't say you, I said Rex haters and I agree Rex should have gone with Tanny who hired him.. 

Happy for Rex, but how can anyone who watched the Jets go 6-10, 8-8 and 4-12 the last 3 years actually be scarred that he is coaching another team in our division?

All I can say is our GM and new HC better work out, the Patriots are going to be the Patriots, the Bills and Fins are already better than us.  Can't wait till I hear the complaining from folks on this board when Quinn emphasizes Defense and ground and pound, which has been Seattle's secret to success. 

All I can say is our GM and new HC better work out, the Patriots are going to be the Patriots, the Bills and Fins are already better than us.  Can't wait till I hear the complaining from folks on this board when Quinn emphasizes Defense and ground and pound, which has been Seattle's secret to success. 

6 of the last 8 teams standing had defensive coaches.  7 of them also had super QB's

the jets won't be legit until the QB is legit regardless of the style of coaching

No, this is like having a girl who started out hot and got fat, then she ends up with one of your cousins you dislike a little. You laugh at him and move on with your life.

I was going to go there but rex lost a bunch of weight. I'm not trying to **** with that.

Archived