First HC Hired - Rex to Bills

JetsFanatic

Pull those up. They'll include the words, "unless some nitwit owner overrides the GM." Rex is stupid. He could probably have waited and gotten the Cownboys job next week.

Never again

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I guess if I'm him I can't pass on that contract either but this is the worst job he could've taken...he'll crash so bad in buffalo he will never get another job after this...on to D coordinator just like his dad...maybe he'll have a nice little run somewhere like buddy had in Houston ...anyone selling this as a big win for Rex is kidding themselves ( other than the 25 mil of course )

But wasn't Rex the guy pushing for "His" type of players?

Like 5 out of the last 6 First round picks?

I dunno..I wasn't in the war room.  I do know that two reports surfaced after the season saying part of the reason Rex was being let go was Woody was aggravated at him for not speaking up during the drafts.  He sat in the room and let the GM's take who they wanted and never said "but that guy sucks".  Rex thought he could win with anyone...he was wrong.  

This has "mess" written all over it. Rex is a DC, he doesn't know anything else. Who is the DC of the Bills? Jim Schwartz. So who's gonna take control of that defense next season? Plus, you could argue that Schwartz is as much and maybe even a better HC prospect. Now he has to work under a guy who just got fired after having a disastrous year. Meanwhile Schwartz helped turn the Bills around and probably should have been promoted to HC. And what about the assistents Rex is gonna bring in? Schwartz won't have any of that. Like I said, what a mess. These two won't get along.

Hey I guess if I'm him I can't pass on that contract either but this is the worst job he could've taken...he'll crash so bad in buffalo he will never get another job after this...on to D coordinator just like his dad...maybe he'll have a nice little run somewhere like buddy had in Houston ...anyone selling this as a big win for Rex is kidding themselves ( other than the 25 mil of course )

If he gets Trestman he's got a shot to succeed.  No shot at adding a QB with no first round pick.

They are keeping Schwartz, so maybe they actually won't change schemes on D, but instead will incorporate some of Rex's pass-rush philosophies to what Schwartz already has in place. I'm also seeing that they'll hire Greg Roman. 

I wonder if Rex had any say in the coaches being put around him, or if he's deferring already to what other people give him, so that he's well-positioned to finger-point in a year from now.

This has "mess" written all over it. Rex is a DC, he doesn't know anything else. Who is the DC of the Bills? Jim Schwartz. So who's gonna take control of that defense next season? Plus, you could argue that Schwartz is as much and maybe even a better HC prospect. Now he has to work under a guy who just got fired after having a disastrous year. Meanwhile Schwartz helped turn the Bills around and probably should have been promoted to HC. And what about the assistents Rex is gonna bring in? Schwartz won't have any of that. Like I said, what a mess. These two won't get along.

There are still some openings..if Schwartz is such a strong candidate, I'd expect him to ask to be let out of his contract, the Bills should have no problem obliging since Rex is there now, and Schwarz will have his choice of head coaching gigs.

They are keeping Schwartz, so maybe they actually won't change schemes on D, but instead will incorporate some of Rex's pass-rush philosophies to what Schwartz already has in place. I'm also seeing that they'll hire Greg Roman. 

I wonder if Rex had any say in the coaches being put around him, or if he's deferring already to what other people give him, so that he's well-positioned to finger-point in a year from now.

Supposedly he's bringing the crew with him: David Lee, Jeff Weeks, Thurman, etc, and hiring Greg Roman as OC

It took Rex 14 days to land another HC job and he interviewed with 3 teams.

Not good for the AFCE if Rex learns from his mistakes.

This is why Rex had to be let go.  He his a very good head coach but his flaws weren't going away.  He was going to have to get fired and have some time to reflect on what he'd done wrong here.  I said for years that I wanted him to stay around and learn from his mistakes here but it never happened.  Reports a few months ago said his humility in losing was going to be a good thing for any owners watching the situation.  Three interviews and a hire in two weeks.  Those reports were right.

It took Rex 14 days to land another HC job and he interviewed with 3 teams.

Not good for the AFCE if Rex learns from his mistakes.

He never did here, but if you guys want to get nervous, knock yourself out.

As far as I'm concerned, the AFC east is constructed like this:

Pats / Bill = he'll be there until Brady retires, being smarter than everyone gets you called a cheater, cheating also gets you called a cheater, but they don't take wins away

Jets / ??? = eventual headache, possible ulcer

Philbin / Dolphins = possible lame-duck, given that they just hired a new czar

Rex / Bills = high profile solution to having Marrone leave high and dry, might not work out as anything but a lateral type of hire, but what they need right now is the appearance of having made a good move, which is how it will be painted by the media, because the media doesn't care about details, they care about getting more casual fans to watch TV, Rex could be gone in 2 years after that organization stabilizes under new leadership, in the meantime he's a perfect ringleader for them to rally around

In other words, there is still only 1 team to beat here.

Heres a newsflash for you. the Bills kicked the Jets ass last year twice without Rex, and with Rex coaching the Jets. what could you possibly have to fear now? theyre going to double down and kick their ass again?

Lol. As if those games were arm-wrestles between Marrone and Rex.

He's the very first coach that took the job. Rappaport saying that Atlanta passed. Think about that.

Atlanta passed? Says a lot when an historically great franchise like Atlanta passes on a coach. They've proven they know what they're doing down there.

With no first round pick and no established QB-

The Bills job was teh least desirable of them all, anyone that argues otherwise is lying through their teeth. I don't care what opinion people have of Rex. He's in Buffalo because he wants to coach, not an be an anchor, but as I've said elsewhere he'll be good for them for a couple years - maybe not in the wins column, but overall he'll bring them the type of excitement he's capable of, the type of excitement that makes you love the guy and kind of look past the suck at first. As the organization normalizes after new ownership comes in, that's necessary, I think.

Anyway, good for him. I cannot wait until he starts trash talking us and the Pats. It's going to be entertaining and then-some.

Bills hired Rex Ryan as head coach.

It's a monster get for the Bills. After Doug Marrone opted out of his coaching deal with Buffalo, the Bills were getting a later jump on their search. But they're now the first team to hire a new coach this offseason. Ryan reportedly wanted the Falcons job, but was never brought back for a second interview. Ryan held his second interview with Buffalo on Saturday night and landed a five-year, $27.5 million contract. He's expected to retain DC Jim Schwartz and bring aboard 49ers OC Greg Roman to run the offense. It's a tremendous trio, though we're a bit skeptical on Roman. The Bills badly need a quarterback, and Colin Kaepernick regressed some under Roman this past season. He now gets to work with E.J. Manuel.

The Bills job was teh least desirable of them all, anyone that argues otherwise is lying through their teeth. I don't care what opinion people have of Rex. He's in Buffalo because he wants to coach, not an be an anchor, but as I've said elsewhere he'll be good for them for a couple years - maybe not in the wins column, but overall he'll bring them the type of excitement he's capable of, the type of excitement that makes you love the guy and kind of look past the suck at first. As the organization normalizes after new ownership comes in, that's necessary, I think.

Anyway, good for him. I cannot wait until he starts trash talking us and the Pats. It's going to be entertaining and then-some.

The job he was fired from was worse, as is the Raiders job. Two truths thru my teeth.

I think this is a bad fit for Rex, but thinking that this guarantees that the Bills will be worse -or that the Jets are now magically gonna dominate them- is silly. Rex learned on the job here. He's a better head coach than he was when he first got the job. If they retain Schwartz, Rex can take the opportunity to be the complete head coach he never was here.

I'd prefer it if he weren't in the division. I'd rather be able to root for the guy.

Archived