Columnist makes the case for Jay Cutler

Green Jets & Ham

This is the Guy I have been lobbying for, Jay Cutler, and this column makes a pretty strong case for my choice

For the record, and for whatever it's worth, I couldn't agree more ... I've been fighting this {losing} battle with my Jets brethren for weeks

With the 4th Pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, The New York Jets select

For the record, and for whatever it's worth, I couldn't agree more ... I've been fighting this {losing} battle with my Jets brethren for weeks

I have been fighting this battle for months.

Cutler will be a GREAT NFL quarterback...infinitely better than the fraud that plays for Southern Cal. However, with Pennington's contract,it just isn't reasonable to draft a quarterback that early. The team is already over the cap and with all our needs, we just can't tie up THAT much money into one position, even if it's the most important position there is and possibly our biggest need as well. Thank you Hermy and Terry. :roll:

I have been fighting this battle for months.

Cutler will be a GREAT NFL quarterback...infinitely better than the fraud that plays for Southern Cal. However, with Pennington's contract,it just isn't reasonable to draft a quarterback that early. The team is already over the cap and with all our needs, we just can't tie up THAT much money into one position, even if it's the most important position there is and possibly our biggest need as well. Thank you Hermy and Terry. :roll:

I don't believe anyone who ever lived through passing on Dan Marino would ever revisit that nightmare again, no matter the cost

I know I wouldn't ... if I need a QB and I believe a possible franchise QB is staring me dead in the face, you'd have to kill me to prevent me from selecting that player

NO JOKE

I don't believe anyone who ever lived through passing on Dan Marino would ever revisit that nightmare again, no matter the cost

I know I wouldn't ... if I need a QB and I believe a possible franchise QB is staring me dead in the face, you'd have to kill me to prevent me from selecting that player

NO JOKE

you don't take a guy who projects as a middle first round pick at number 4. i would have no problem with them trading down and getting him in the mid round but you can't take him at 4.

you don't take a guy who projects as a middle first round pick at number 4. i would have no problem with them trading down and getting him in the mid round but you can't take him at 4.

Where do you get mid-first from? Cutler will be a top ten pick. Bank on it.

If Vince Young had not entered the draft, I would have not at all been surprised to see Cutler stay close to home and quarterback the Titans.

Where do you get mid-first from? Cutler will be a top ten pick. Bank on it.

If Vince Young had not entered the draft, I would have not at all been surprised to see Cutler stay close to home and quarterback the Titans.

Couldn't agree more ... the sites that are currently projecting Cutler as a MID 1 will be changing their tune as the draft approaches, and it becomes CRYSTAL CLEAR how wrong they are

As to your second point, I actually visited some Titans boards before Young declared and a huge number of Titans fans wanted Cutler at #3 Overall

lastly, not every draft site has it wrong ... I can show you at least two or three mocks that already have Cutler in the TOP 5 ... from reputable draft sites

Hopefully another team feels the same way you do ham

I think rather than posting your love for Cutler here on Jets sites, I would post your love for him on 28 other teams sites

maybe then we could get another team with QB needs to part ways with multiple picks for #4

if I need a QB and I believe a possible franchise QB is staring me dead in the face, you'd have to kill me to prevent me from selecting that player

Why would the Jets even consider taking a QB with the 4th overall pick?

They already have a franchise QB in PennyBoyWonder.

Remember, he led the entire NFL in passer rating in 2002. :shock:

Why would the Jets even consider taking a QB with the 4th overall pick?

They already have a franchise QB in PennyBoyWonder.

Remember, he led the entire NFL in passer rating in 2002. :shock:

This whole head coach fiasco and all I keep seeing from you are the same tired references to our cap albatross back-up QB and to the fact we traded a sh*tload to select "DFat".

Get some new material. It's not like there isn't plenty available. :roll:

This whole head coach fiasco and all I keep seeing from you are the same tired references to our cap albatross back-up QB and to the fact we traded a sh*tload to select "DFat".

Get some new material. It's not like there isn't plenty available. :roll:

Then why don't you address my points instead of whinning like a little baby.

Then why don't you address my points instead of whinning like a little baby.

Address your points? The same points you've already made 500 times each? You've got 6,000 posts, but they've been about 5 subjects.

So forgive me for "whinning". I just miss the days back when you used to be funny.

Not picking Cutler at 4...no way, no how. Watched this kid a few times and he has talent...but, he also has some work to do.

Listen, I bet all the teams that past up on Dan Marino could go back in time, but you can't. Who knows with this Cutler kid, who knows with any of these kids in the draft. Roll the dice and hope you get a winner because all the reasearch in the world on any of these players doesn't equate to what they will do on the field.

Look at how many QB's taken in the first round over the past 15 years have disappeared off the map...it's a who's who in first round draft picks.

the only way i would take cutler is if the jets cut pennington and take the cap hit now. that would mean total rebuilding effort and would give cutler time to grow into the position.

WELL SAID and I agree! I posted this article on a few other boards and anti-CUTLER sentiment is very high. I agree that the draft is a crap shoot. Who really knows what and who will be great? BLAIR THOMAS was a can't miss guy! Roll the dice and take who you feel is best. That is all I can say to BADWAY!

alright Herm new moniker..I mean old moniker.Man we need help on the O-line and RB-what's gotta happen is we are gonna have to get a pretty good idea if Tennessee is going to pick Vince Young and if so we should be able to get Volek for a pick and NOT have to draft a QB.It's not a far-fetched idea that we will be able to find out that info.

alright Herm new moniker..I mean old moniker.Man we need help on the O-line and RB-what's gotta happen is we are gonna have to get a pretty good idea if Tennessee is going to pick Vince Young and if so we should be able to get Volek for a pick and NOT have to draft a QB.It's not a far-fetched idea that we will be able to find out that info.

SFJ, you are correct...we need help not only on our O line, but D line as well. What's the sense of having Jim Brown back there if the O line is swiss cheese?

Need a wide body at the nose to help out DROB...and speaking about DROB, I'm starting to think his injuries are starting to mount up with this kid. Either he needs prodding or he'll have a short career.

WE HAVE NO @#$%&@# QUARTERBACK!!

I feel like the captain of the titanic, handing out life-jackets, and nobody wants one :-s

I recently talked to a former scout of the Cincinnati Bengals, who will remain anonymous. He told me that in his opinion Jay Cutler has better tools then Carson Palmer did coming out of college.

COMMON PEOPLE ... WAKE UP!! ](*,)

Ham- How many games have u seen Cutler play?

You realize that many 1st rd QBS bust out and then add SEC flunkees Shuler and Couch.

It will be tough to roll the dice on this kid, this high. maybe after combines he will shoot up to 4 and maybe the pick will be warranted.

A gun to my head right now, No way

WE HAVE NO @#$%&@# QUARTERBACK!!

I feel like the captain of the titanic, handing out life-jackets, and nobody wants one :-s

COMMON PEOPLE ... WAKE UP!! ](*,)

the quickest way to being competitive in the NFL is through defense and a running game.

the top 9 defenses in pts/game allowed all made the playoffs and 7 of the top 10 rush yds/game made the playoffs. this is not a coincidence.

i can see the jets taking cutler @ 4 as the qb if the future, but the jets need to build a better defense and offensive line with the remaining picks.

personally, i don't see this team competing for a while there are just too many holes to fill. a dominant defense would at least make them competitve next year.

Ham- How many games have u seen Cutler play?

You realize that many 1st rd QBS bust out and then add SEC flunkees Shuler and Couch.

It will be tough to roll the dice on this kid, this high. maybe after combines he will shoot up to 4 and maybe the pick will be warranted.

A gun to my head right now, No way

How can you even mention Heath Shuler and Tim Couch? Grasping for straws here? That is like saying don't draft Matt Lineart...remember what happened with Cade McNown and Todd Marinovich! Ancient history that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Jay Cutler.

I would be ecstatic if Jay Cutler were a New York Jet, but unfortunately, that is something only a franchise with balls would do.

the quickest way to being competitive in the NFL is through defense and a running game.

the top 9 defenses in pts/game allowed all made the playoffs and 7 of the top 10 rush yds/game made the playoffs. this is not a coincidence.

i can see the jets taking cutler @ 4 as the qb if the future, but the jets need to build a better defense and offensive line with the remaining picks.

personally, i don't see this team competing for a while there are just too many holes to fill. a dominant defense would at least make them competitve next year.

I don't care about being competitive ... been there, done that

I wanna win a Superbowl, so I want a franchise Quarterback ... which we haven't had since JOE FRIGGIN NAMATH ... and ironically {OR NOT}, that's the last time we've even been in the BIG GAME much less won it

How can you even mention Heath Shuler and Tim Couch? Grasping for straws here? That is like saying don't draft Matt Lineart...remember what happened with Cade McNown and Todd Marinovich! Ancient history that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Jay Cutler.

I would be ecstatic if Jay Cutler were a New York Jet, but unfortunately, that is something only a franchise with balls would do.

Aside from both mannings, name me 1 franchise Qb coming out of SEC in last 15 years

Grossman is not a franchise QB yet!

I take exception to the statement that just because Denver and Atlanta don't spend high picks on OL that doesn't mean it's a dumb thing to do. Also I take excception to the idea that Brick can only play LT - that's evidence that whoever wrote the article has no understanding of the offensive line. If he can snap, a great LT can play any position on the line. LT is the hardest to play and if a player can play LT he can play anywhere. It doesn't mean he can only play LT.

All that being said it's funny how Jay Cutler is becoming a viable option and i wonder who called it first? The Jets need a QB and if the choice is between Brick and Cutler I don't think they can go wrong either way. Literally they can make either pick (or Ngata) and i would be happy as a clam.

It's not only the organization, troll ... the fans don't wanna do it either ... much like the Jets FO, they're too busy chasing mediocrity

How can we set ourselves up for a possible run at a wild card next year? THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!!

Screw the FQB ... if he can't help us to make a run at 9-7 in 2006, we don't want him!!

LET HIM WIN FOR SOME OTHER TEAM FOR THE NEXT DOZEN YEARS

Don't put me in this mediocrity BS

I'm all for going after Bush and trading Abe for a #1 pick for QB (shaub)

Cutler is a risk right now, let's see what the combine results will bring in

Rivers was top 15 until combine ..then his stock rose. if this happens i can be sold

If Cutler busts out this franchise will be kaput

I don't care about being competitive ... been there, done that

I wanna win a Super Bowl, so I want a franchise Quarterback ... which we haven't had since JOE FRIGGIN NAMATH ... and ironically {OR NOT}, that's the last time we've even been in the BIG GAME much less won it

GJH...come on, you yourself brought up the Marino factor. He was a franchise QB and how many SB's did he win? He lost his only SB shot he was ever in. We need a QB and a truck load of other things from a HC on down. Fix the other stuff and stick a competitive QB in there...much quicker in my opinion to the big show than to groom a rookie QB like Cutler.

Don't put me in this mediocrity BS

I'm all for going after Bush and trading Abe for a #1 pick for QB (shaub)

Cutler is a risk right now, let's see what the combine results will bring in

Rivers was top 15 until combine ..then his stock rose. if this happens i can be sold

If Cutler busts out this franchise will be kaput

i would love to see shaub in green and white next year.

now that herm is gone it will be interesting to see what happens with abe. i think he can be a top 5 DE in the NFL with the right coach. right now he is a 1 dimensional player and locker room cancer who doesn't want to be a jet and the jets should feel lucky to get a 2nd for him. a big part of being successful in the nfl is getting rid of the guys who don't want to be there - see joe gibbs.

i would love to see shaub in green and white next year.

how is that going to happen? he's under contract?

After Drew brees blew out his shoulder and Palmer blew out his knee the QB market lost two possible options - if the Jets took a QB early i could live with that.

hello=--Abe for Shaub

Trade our best defensive player for a quarterback that has proven nothing, except that he can pick apart a defense full of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers? I'll pass on that one.

I like Schaub and all, but I don't like him that much.

Archived