Dan Quinn vs. Todd Bowles

Morrissey

Woody should...  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Woody should...

• Wait for Dan Quinn
    • Hire Todd Bowles

Quinn wasn't even on Seattle when this happened. He was at Florida as the dc from 2011 to 2012. Also, when Avril and Bennet are their best guys on the defensive line, two of them they got in free agency. It doesn't speak well to me of his coaching abilities.

He may be a great coach, but I agree you can't attribute the development of Sherman, Chancellor, Mawell, Browner etc to him. And to add to the confusion regarding coaching talent, Carroll has always been known for his work with DBs before Seattle.

Again, the jets are not hiring a co-od, but a leader.  As a guy with a def focus, he will probably want to run the same scheme that is run in seattle.  But if he spends his time like Rex did in the defensive huddle all day and not coaching the whole team it will just be Rex redux. It was all the other qualities of a great hc that rex lacked, he was a superb Def Co-od, it was his game focus, player accountability, time management etc that was his downfall. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Quinn is their first choice, they should wait. The NFL has their rules in place but under the table deals happen all the time, and the league turns a blind eye to them. If Quinn has already decided on the Jets, and vice versa, then Quinn can reach out to anyone he wants working with him and pass along the promise to them. Or maybe Maccagnan can start hiring the assistants Quinn wants before he's officially offered the job.

The wait shouldn't be a factor. Hiring the right guy should be the only consideration.

As far as I know these rules are when a team must allow the coaches to make visits and interviews. A team can allow their employes more leeway if they wish.

Seems genuine,  You noticed that he did not take credit for the personnel development of those players that were on the team. Seemed at ease as a speaker and a a nice guy. 

That's what I liked about him. Very down to earth, rational, knows his stuff, probably very easy to get along with. That's what you want in a HC. Is he the next John Harbaugh or the next Romeo Crennel? None of us can tell. I'll trust Woody this time, let him interview Quinn and if he blows him away give him the HC job. Marrone obviously didn't do it.

From Peter King's MMQB:

The Jets, I hear, were scrambling to interview Bowles last night or today. They love Quinn too. They may not be able to get Quinn. If I were Quinn, with no sure quarterback there and no great familiarity with prospective GM Mike Maccagnan, the Texans’ director of college scouting, I’d much rather have the Atlanta job, even though I have family roots in New Jersey.

Uh oh.

This is a good video, and for the "he didn't develop them" crowd, they should watch it - because player development doesn't happen just in the rookie year, it happens in every year of a player's career. I'm starting to develop the opinion that this particular argument is an extension of people not really understanding how this all works.

Anyway, they walk Quinn through examples of how he helped individuals get better. People should give it a watch and back off their already too concrete opinions on this guy's potential.

From Peter King's MMQB:

The Jets, I hear, were scrambling to interview Bowles last night or today. They love Quinn too. They may not be able to get Quinn. If I were Quinn, with no sure quarterback there and no great familiarity with prospective GM Mike Maccagnan, the Texans’ director of college scouting, I’d much rather have the Atlanta job, even though I have family roots in New Jersey.

Uh oh.

Left at the altar, Im telling you. They know it.

From Peter King's MMQB:

Uh oh.

see now this worries me, can we really wait til after the Super Bowl without any guarantees? Can we risk being left with our d--k in our hands.

I haven't read any other reports on this but Peter is a good source for info.  We have to come away with one of these guys.  .   

I would be fine with either one, Im just concerned that if  we wait for Quinn and he signs with another team we are left with the least qualified candidate.

I think Bowles might the better long term prospect, but Quinn is the better fit (initially) i believe given our current roster. Ultimately, both will field competent defensive. Its who's got the best plan on O that I'm concerned about If bowles was going to bring trestman on board, then i'm listening. Quinn and shanny - also very appealing.

From Peter King's MMQB:

Uh oh.

is there a link to this? I can't find it anywhere. This is not good news

Uh oh.

is there a link to this? I can't find it anywhere. This is not good news

Dont' get your panties in a hustle yet. The Jets aren't that unappealing. We've got lots of cap room, piece on defense and an early pick. Yes, the QB situation isn't great, but ATL has it's on own vice - as in the expectations will be win NOW while we still have our piece on O. It's not all margaritas and bitches in georgia

To be safe tho, you should be at peace with Bowles

I think Bowles might the better long term prospect, but Quinn is the better fit (initially) i believe given our current roster. Ultimately, both will field competent defensive. Its who's got the best plan on O that I'm concerned about If bowles was going to bring trestman on board, then i'm listening. Quinn and shanny - also very appealing.

Wasn't there an early report that Bowles wasn't interested in a big market job? I think I remember reading that. He may have his sights set on Atlanta. 

I would be fine with either one, Im just concerned that if  we wait for Quinn and he signs with another team we are left with the least qualified candidate.

This is only a concern if the Jets and one (or more) other team still haven't filled their coaching job before the Super Bowl (assuming Seattle makes it that far). A little early to worry. I think we'll see a couple -if not all- jobs filled by the middle of next week. Everyone has the same concerns we have here about filling out a staff, preparing for the offseason, etc. 

I think your right but given the recent developments, I think something is up with Quinn. The Jets interviewing Sean M and now 2nd interview with Bowles.

Jets can't speak to Quinn until after Sunday's game. Nothing else to do this week. Might as well do due diligence.

It's simple, you take whoever you feel is the BEST candidate. If Quinn wants to come here it doesn't matter if Tanny is his agent, he tells his agent what he wants, not the other way around. If we lose out on him because of Tanny, then he wasn't the right guy to begin with. Yes it is frustrating having to wait and I get that it complicates things completely. Again, I just want the best candidate. If it turns out to be Bowles, then go get him, If it turns out to be whoever, go get him.

The New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons are planning on interviewing Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles for a second time, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

The Jets and Falcons are two of five teams still looking for a head coach.

Bowles in still under contract with the Cardinals, having signed a contract extension in November through the 2017 season. The 51-year-old just completed his second season as the team's defensive coordinator and has also spent time on the staffs of the Dolphins, Cowboys, Browns, Jets, and Packers.

• Bills make it official, announce Rex Ryan as new coach

Bowles played eight seasons in the NFL, mostly notably with the Washington Redskins, retiring after the 1993 season.

Over the first nine games of this season, the Cardinals defense was ranked No. 11 (No. 3 in rushing, No. 30 in passing), but finished No. 24 overall. Over the last six games, the defense gave up at least 390 yards four times. Arizona ranked fifth in scoring defense, allowing only 18.7 points a game.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/12/jet...wles-interview

They can talk to HC candidates during the week between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl.

There's no way Quinn talks to anybody until they're out of the playoffs and I don't blame him because he really has no option. If he does the Media will find a way to create headlines, how he's a distraction, how he's already worrying about his next job instead of game planning and all that. And if the Hawks end up losing you know who the media/fans are going to blame.

There's no way Quinn talks to anybody until they're out of the playoffs and I don't blame him because he really has no option. If he does the Media will find a way to create headlines, how he's a distraction, how he's already worrying about his next job instead of game planning and all that. And if the Hawks end up losing you know who the media/fans are going to blame.

Really? And you know all this how?

Archived