Woody should...  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Woody should...

• Wait for Dan Quinn
    • Hire Todd Bowles

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how people are "OK" with either one, like it doesn't matter LOL. This is the most important decision this team will make and it will have ramifications for at least the next 3-4 years.

Bowles is the guy. He has the intangibles, what he has done with the Arizona defense this year alone makes him qualified, not to mention the rest of his career. Quinn is Carrolls piss boy. Carroll is one of the best defensive minds in all of football. Carroll is responsible for the LOB. Quinn has been along for the ride. Arians is not a defensive guy and he never head coached before... so what we have seen from Arizona's D, with all of their injuries and ZERO excuses is exactly the culture Bowles brings to the table.

Bowles will command instant respect in our locker room and will bring with him some amazing defensive assistants from the Cards (look at who works for him there... an amazing group of coaches). I know there is concern about who he brings in as OC... but he is well respected around this league and won't struggle building a staff like Mangini did in 06'. (I floated a scenario where we trade for Nick Foles, in the case we could keep Marty as OC. He and Bowles worked together before and they know Foles from the inside out)

He will be hired by the Bears or Falcons by Wednesday or Thursday. If we sit around waiting for Quinn, who is the definition of the flavor of the week coordinator who hasn't done anything on his own, and another team jumps in at the last minute and out bids us we are screwed. Woody is a guy who has a certain dollar amount set for coach and GM. That's why we hired this Texans guy and why we haven't interviewed any of the experienced candidates like Del Rio or Mike Shanahan. He's not willing to pay them. We will get outbid if it comes to it.

TRUST ME, anything could happen between now and February 2nd. More HC positions could open. Quinn is not a lock to sign here, and he's not the best candidate. We are going to end up with Cable if we don't move now and sign Bowles in the next 48.

I dont know about Marty but I am all in on Bowles, Gamble, and Foles.

I love how people are "OK" with either one, like it doesn't matter LOL. This is the most important decision this team will make and it will have ramifications for at least the next 3-4 years.

Bowles is the guy. He has the intangibles, what he has done with the Arizona defense this year alone makes him qualified, not to mention the rest of his career. Quinn is Carrolls piss boy. Carroll is one of the best defensive minds in all of football. Carroll is responsible for the LOB. Quinn has been along for the ride. Arians is not a defensive guy and he never head coached before... so what we have seen from Arizona's D, with all of their injuries and ZERO excuses is exactly the culture Bowles brings to the table.

Bowles will command instant respect in our locker room and will bring with him some amazing defensive assistants from the Cards (look at who works for him there... an amazing group of coaches). I know there is concern about who he brings in as OC... but he is well respected around this league and won't struggle building a staff like Mangini did in 06'. (I floated a scenario where we trade for Nick Foles, in the case we could keep Marty as OC. He and Bowles worked together before and they know Foles from the inside out)

He will be hired by the Bears or Falcons by Wednesday or Thursday. If we sit around waiting for Quinn, who is the definition of the flavor of the week coordinator who hasn't done anything on his own, and another team jumps in at the last minute and out bids us we are screwed. Woody is a guy who has a certain dollar amount set for coach and GM. That's why we hired this Texans guy and why we haven't interviewed any of the experienced candidates like Del Rio or Mike Shanahan. He's not willing to pay them. We will get outbid if it comes to it.

TRUST ME, anything could happen between now and February 2nd. More HC positions could open. Quinn is not a lock to sign here, and he's not the best candidate. We are going to end up with Cable if we don't move now and sign Bowles in the next 48.

Nice post... this is the exact reason I like Bowles over Qinnn. We better get one or the other I much prefer Bowles and his aggressive style.

That's why we hired this Texans guy and why we haven't interviewed any of the experienced candidates like Del Rio or Mike Shanahan. He's not willing to pay them. We will get outbid if it comes to it.

We will get outbid for Del Rio and Mike Shanahan?  I think you may be slightly over estimating the interest in either of those retreads.

It was interesting that the Jets have not done any 2nd interviews and were reported to be ready to fly to Seattle for Quinn if they had lost.  I didn't hear of any reports of other teams ready to do the same.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't have happened but it seems the Jets are a little confident.  With Bowles coming in for a 2nd interview I think it really is just due diligence and creating a back up plan.  

My interpretation is this:  The fact that Bowles hasn't been hired yet means Quinn is largely considered the prize right now.  Doesn't mean he will end up the better HC, but it would be silly to rush to hire anyone until the Seahawks are out of the playoffs.

I.E. we should pretty much all be rooting for the Packers this week.  Another 2 week wait and Woody might get antsy.

If it is true that Mike MacCagnan is now our new GM, wouldn't it make sense that the GM would like to meet the new head coach.  I think the search could have lead to the head coach being hired first, but now that we have a GM in place, the GM will now have say into who the new head coach will be. 

He didn't turn anything around in Buffalo. He was there in '13 when they went 6-10, their defense stunk (compared to how many star players they have), he drafted Manuel, the offense was absolutely horrendous. A year later they miss the playoffs again, offense still absolutely horrendous while the defense played great thanks to Jim Schwartz. So I'm not sure what you mean by turning things around. The only good thing Buffalo got going for them last year was the arrival of Jim Schwartz. Without him that team would have performed even worse than they did last year when Marrone took over.

Say what you want about Quinn. He's currently coordinating arguably the best defense in NFL history, he's on a winning team that got the job done, won the big games, he knows what it takes because he's been there, done that. Marrone hasn't even sniffed a playoff game since he's been in Buffalo and the QB he picked turned out to be much worse than the QB we picked a round later in the same draft. I'm just not sold on him - over Quinn. Or even Bowles.

I don't have a dog in this fight (sorry Vick) But Marrone did a fine job in Buffalo, you say he drafted Manuel, when he was not the GM. Even if he wanted Manuel, he realized the mistake and rectified it. That is the definition of being a leader, if you see a mistake, fix it, even if it is your own, he owned it. He did not keep trotting out guys that he should not- you perform or your out.  He hired Schwartz on his staff, how do you find fault with that. He hired a pro and the results were good. 

How much of the poor play of the offense do you attribute to Jackson and Spiller each missing 1/2 the year and playing with the 3rd string back.

Quinn may well become a fine HC and better at it than marrone, but that is no reason to disparage the job he did in Buffalo. Quinn was a DC for two years in the NFL, he did not implement a new scheme but runs the same scheme his predecessor implemented.  With quinn your projecting what he may become, With Marrone you know you don't have Walsh or BB but you know you don't have Sparono either.

My interpretation is this:  The fact that Bowles hasn't been hired yet means Quinn is largely considered the prize right now.  Doesn't mean he will end up the better HC, but it would be silly to rush to hire anyone until the Seahawks are out of the playoffs.

I.E. we should pretty much all be rooting for the Packers this week.  Another 2 week wait and Woody might get antsy.

I guess but I was really hoping that the Seahawks defense could cripple Brady in the Super Bowl....no disrespect to the Colts or Packers.

Point: Quinn

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000457149/article/davis-colts-used-seahawks-blueprint-to-beat-broncos

Davis: Colts used Seahawks 'blueprint' to beat Broncos

Andrew Luck will garner the headlines and torch-passing talk this week, but the Indianapolis Colts' defense deserves credit for clamping down on one of the best wide receiver groups in the NFL in Sunday's 24-13 road victory over the Denver Broncos.

Cornerback Vontae Davis put on a show for the national audience, in what was a season of golden performances for the Pro Bowlselection. After the victory Davis said the Colts mimicked the game plan the Seattle Seahawks used to beat down Denver last year.

"Seattle gave us the blueprint in the Super Bowl," Davis said, per The Indianapolis Star. "What we did was similar to what Seattle did, as far as taking their receivers away."

Davis and Co. beat up Broncos receivers at the line of scrimmage, took away the middle of the field and dared Peyton Manning to beat them with long sideline throws.

One pivotal drive in the fourth quarter came after Denver cut the lead to eight and Luck and the offense went three-and-out while taking just 29 seconds off the clock. The Colts' D then forced their own three-play series, with Davis knocking away two passes. Indy iced the game on the next drive.

"We want some of that glory, too," safety Mike Adams said. "Show us some love. We know Luck's going to do his thing. We know Luck's gonna ball out. So for a defense, we want our own identity. We want to do our own things."

If they do those things and knock off Tom Brady a week after sending Manning to the showers, there is no doubt the Colts' defense will get their day in the sun in Arizona.

IMO the best candidate is Quinn, he comes from a established winning culture. The Jets haven't had a winning culture for 45 years.

One thing with Quinn, be prepared for the Jets locker room to become a fun place to be for the players. That is one of the things they do in Seattle where the players look forward to working every day. 

Be prepared to have  defense that does get some flags, in fact more than others. Its just a side effect of having a very physical defense. 

IMO the best candidate is Quinn, he comes from a established winning culture. The Jets haven't had a winning culture for 45 years.

One thing with Quinn, be prepared for the Jets locker room to become a fun place to be for the players. That is one of the things they do in Seattle where the players look forward to working every day. 

Be prepared to have  defense that does get some flags, in fact more than others. Its just a side effect of having a very physical defense. 

Quinn worked for the Jets. 

Our players already had lots of "fun" with Rex, and drew a lot of flags too. 

I'm okay with Quinn, I just don't know where you're coming from with the reasons. Either way, cheers - I hope whoever we get is the best available when it's all said and done!

Not sure how seriously to take that...looked to me like Peyton had several WR's open for big gains but just kept overthrowing badly.

Well, nobody beat the Broncos this weekend and attributed it to anything Bowles did. I'm not over-investing in the article, just posting it as fodder for the neck-and-neck race we seem to be watching with these guys.

Well, nobody beat the Broncos this weekend and attributed it to anything Bowles did. I'm not over-investing in the article, just posting it as fodder for the neck-and-neck race we seem to be watching with these guys.

Not worth investing in any of this stuff really.  Fun to talk about but at the end of the day it's two guys being considered for a job  neither has ever done before.  We can just sit and hope that whoever they choose is a good choice.  I'm just glad Woody isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel and bringing in another position coach who has never been a coordinator and nobody else is looking at.

Not worth investing in any of this stuff really.  Fun to talk about but at the end of the day it's two guys being considered for a job  neither has ever done before.  We can just sit and hope that whoever they choose is a good choice.  I'm just glad Woody isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel and bringing in another position coach who has never been a coordinator and nobody else is looking at.

Exactly.

Archived