BUCKEYES @ MARIOTA - Monday; Jan 12; 8:30pm ET ESPN

jetrider

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how you can pass on Mariota.   He has plenty of arm strength which I'm sure will be in display at the combine / pro day.   Most of his throws are on the run and he still slings it.    The kid is a winner and needs the right system.   you can't take mariota and slam him into a marty schottenheimer offense.    with the right OC + QB coach this kid revolutionizes the NFL game.

Meh. He doesn't throw it well enough, nor does he run fast enough to survive, imo. Poor velocity is a killer in the pros. You don't have to throw it 80 yards, but you need to be able to zip it 15 yards with some heat. I have never seen that when watching Mariota. He's also a skinny dude who wants to run it, which never works on the pro level.

He can make throws when guys are wide open, cannot in tight windows.

you don't get it.   The NYJ don't have a QB and have not had one in a long, long time.   You take Mariota and if he doesn't work you take another one.   In this day / age of the NFL you need to keep taking QB's until you find one.   

Give 2015 to Matt Moore and groom Mariota for 2016.   The kid is a stud.   Listen to Chip Kelly talk about the kid before you make up you mind.  

Meh. He doesn't throw it well enough, nor does he run fast enough to survive, imo. Poor velocity is a killer in the pros. You don't have to throw it 80 yards, but you need to be able to zip it 15 yards with some heat. I have never seen that when watching Mariota. He's also a skinny dude who wants to run it, which never works on the pro level.

If he could transition and just take the yards when they are there, like Wilson does, he could be effective. Arm strength aside, what concerns me is he really does throw a lot of passes to wide receivers that are wide open. And that will not happen in the NFL.

I see a 6'5 version of russell wilson when I watch this kid. 

you don't get it.   The NYJ don't have a QB and have not had one in a long, long time.   You take Mariota and if he doesn't work you take another one.   In this day / age of the NFL you need to keep taking QB's until you find one.   

Give 2015 to Matt Moore and groom Mariota for 2016.   The kid is a stud.   Listen to Chip Kelly talk about the kid before you make up you mind.  

Oh so you are bringing Chip Kelly to jets...then it makes sense...didn't know he was coming here

If he could transition and just take the yards when they are there, like Wilson does, he could be effective. Arm strength aside, what concerns me is he really does throw a lot of passes to wide receivers that are wide open. And that will not happen in the NFL.

System QB.

Not a bad thing if we can tailor the offense to his strengths. NFL coaches aren't very flexible though.

I see a 6'5 version of russell wilson when I watch this kid.

Wilson's arm is to Mariota's arm what Randy Johnson's arm is to Jamie Moyer's arm.

Y would Helfrich leave one of the best gigs there is

unless they are from the south they all want a shot at the show....haven't you ever seen Bull Durham?  Saban, Spurrier, Kelly, Erickson, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer.   They all want to do it at the highest level.  

I'm not sold on Helfrich as an NFL HC yet but how about Scott Frost as QB coach?   It's not a promotion per se but it puts him closer to NFL OC which I assume is his goal.  

unless they are from the south they all want a shot at the show....haven't you ever seen Bull Durham?  Saban, Spurrier, Kelly, Erickson, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer.   They all want to do it at the highest level.  

I'm not sold on Helfrich as an NFL HC yet but how about Scott Frost as QB coach?   It's not a promotion per se but it puts him closer to NFL OC which I assume is his goal.  

Scott Frost will prob get a nice college gig in a year or 2. The pay is just as good as a NFL job these days

The Jetsy thing to do will be to go all-in on Mariota, watch Cardale Jones tear it up for another season in college and miss out on him when he declares the following year.

He's a 22-year-old father, hates academics, and doesn't plan to return to be a 3rd string QB. He'll go in a mid round this year.

Montana actually had a very good arm, but he also played in an era when LBs were running 5.0/40s. Those days are gone.

Mariota is 6'5, he runs a 4.4, and has a super-fast release.   He may not have a browning nagle arm but his arm is good enough.   While he hasn't played in a pro-style offense he has been playing in a system that forces him to make reads and understand the defense.   

Mariota is going to have to adjust to the NFL but given a good OC and system that fits his skills the kid is going to be great in the NFL.   He doesn't have the arm but he is a better QB prospect than Kaepernick.  

Archived