ESPN: Finally, Jets expected to name Mike Maccagnan new GM

TuscanyTile2

After the relatively quiet weekend on the search front, the New York Jets are poised to fill their general manager vacancy. 

[+] Enlargeny_a_maccagnan1x_200x300.jpg
AP Photo/Aaron M. SprecherMike Maccagnan has huddled with Jets officials through the weekend, according to sources.

No surprise here, but the target is Mike Maccagnan, theHouston Texans' director of college scouting. He arrived this past Friday for a second interview and has remained in the Florham Park, New Jersey, area, huddling with team officials and mapping out plans, sources said. A deal is expected to be finalized, perhaps as soon as Monday. Of the seven candidates, Maccagnan is the only one invited back for a second round of talks. 

In deference to the weekend's playoff games, the Jets refrained from making any announcements. 

On Saturday night, owner Woody Johnson, Maccagnan and consultants Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf were prepared to fly to Seattle to hire Seattle Seahawksdefensive coordinator Dan Quinn -- if the Seahawks had lost their divisional playoff game. But they didn't, so now they'll have to wait at least another week to make an offer to Quinn, the favorite for the head coaching vacancy.

The Jets want Quinn "badly," a source said. But Quinn has drawn interest from other teams, so there could be competition. 

Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles is also viewed as a strong candidate for the Jets. They might also interview Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, whose season ended Saturday. 

Ideally, they'd like to have their GM in place this week. Next week, the league will descend upon Mobile, Alabama, for the Senior Bowl.

Stop analyzing HOU drafts to determine what Maccagnan is going to do.  HOU drafts are

a reflection of who their GM decided to pick.  You have no idea on who Maccagnan liked

or who he may have suggested.  His real ability will revealed as our GM

Stop analyzing HOU drafts to determine what Maccagnan is going to do.  HOU drafts are

a reflection of who their GM decided to pick.  You have no idea on who Maccagnan liked

We have little information on which to go - so we're going to use what we know to have a discussion.  I think we all readily acknowledge we don't know a whole lot about him...

But it's very reasonable to look at the body of work from his current job.  And that performance is very, as stated above,"meh"

We have little information on which to go - so we're going to use what we know to have a discussion. I think we all readily acknowledge we don't know a whole lot about him...

But it's very reasonable to look at the body of work from his current job. And that performance is very, as stated above,"meh"

Please tell us all who is the great white hope that will earn the all important blessings of the great and omnipotent FidelioJet

Then all of us lower peons will know who we need to support.

Please give us your guidance, oh great football wizard

Cool. Not like anyone actually knows anything about these candidates but at least this dude came up through the scouting ranks. Apparently a quiet, easy going guy who Ive read some peope call brilliant from a an evaluation perspective.

We got the "football" guy, or so it appears.

Please tell us all who is the great white hope that will earn the all important blessings of the great and omnipotent FidelioJet

What are you talking about?  This message is an attack for the sake of an attack - not even remotely justified....

All I said is I have little information on the guy but what I do have is "meh"  that's not an omnipotent point just a statement.

I didn't say it's a bad choice, or a good choice just a little underwhelmed by it from the information I have...

If you want to glorify the guy simply because he's the Jets choice - I say good for you.

This is the last time we're going to ask you to stop being so confrontational.

What are you talking about? This message is an attack for the sake of an attack - not even remotely justified....

All I said is I have little information on the guy but what I do have is "meh" that's not an omnipotent point just a statement.

I didn't say it's a bad choice, or a good choice just a little underwhelmed by it from the information I have...

If you want to glorify the guy simply because he's the Jets choice - I say good for you.

I apologize.

Cool. Not like anyone actually knows anything about these candidates but at least this dude came up through the scouting ranks. Apparently a quiet, easy going guy who Ive read some peope call brilliant from a an evaluation perspective.

We got the "football" guy, or so it appears.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Well said. 

There were multiple reports that the texans preferred another player to JJ Watt but luckily for them that player was taken before they picked. So they too almost passed on him. 

There is no way to know who he liked. However there are some reports coming out about his system and his attention to the draft - And I could say I am excited to hire this guy. 

He is not an Alpha Male - That does worry me. I am hoping he gets final say over our coach and he gets full roster control. I will forever feel that Rex pushed multiple guys on our FO and made it hard not to draft them. We need a strong GM that trust his gut and makes his owns decisions. 

Can't wait until he puts us in cap hell and we are all demanding woody hire an accountant as next GM

The Cap is going up ALOT. This is not somthing to worry about. We are in the best cap shape we have ever been in. Theres like 1-2 bad contracts on the entire team and they are not hard to get out of. 

Hope we'll get to see how the rest of the front office is filled out.  Going to need a cap guy in here..

I must say I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by both Quinn and Maccagan

I'm optimistic that they've upgraded the GM position without knowing anything more about the guy than he's come up thru the scouting ranks. Woody hired two football men to hire a GM. They've interviewed nothing but football men, and settled on this one. He's a Casserly guy who apparently won Wolf over. That's gonna have to be good enough for me. I prefer this process to Korn-Ferry. I prefer the candidates to the finalists Woody had last time (two cap guys). 

Not worried about cap management. I'm sure Maccagnan displayed some solid working knowledge about how all that works, and finding an accountant to take care of the details will be no great mystery. 

I look forward to seeing who he brings in to interview for the head coaching vacancy, and if Casserly and Wolf stay on until that hire is completed. 

I'm optimistic that they've upgraded the GM position without knowing anything more about the guy than he's come up thru the scouting ranks. Woody hired two football men to hire a GM. They've interviewed nothing but football men, and settled on this one. He's a Casserly guy who apparently won Wolf over. That's gonna have to be good enough for me. I prefer this process to Korn-Ferry. I prefer the candidates to the finalists Woody had last time (two cap guys). 

Not worried about cap management. I'm sure Maccagnan displayed some solid working knowledge about how all that works, and finding an accountant to take care of the details will be no great mystery. 

I look forward to seeing who he brings in to interview for the head coaching vacancy, and if Casserly and Wolf stay on until that hire is completed. 

Fair enough - you're right - the cap guy thing is probably over-rated at this point. 

The key to this hire is trusting in Casserly and Wolf - that's what we have to go by and when they hired those two -  I was heavily on board with that and must trust their decision.  

I am looking forward to hearing this guy speak, get a sense of the way he wants to run the organization.

Should be a very interesting off season.

So, do we actually have a GM or no?

I keep reading that he'll be there interviewing Bowles today, but there's been no announcement of his being hired.  Are they hoping to do a single press conference for GM and HC at the end of today's meeting?

Bowles meeting is tomorrow no?

Hmm - sorry, that could be.  Apparently he's arriving today so I must have read that as interviewing today. 

Either way, reporting that Mac is part of the meeting is a little weird with no announcement of his being hired.  Sort of like having your neighbor's lawn guy sit in as you interview the guy to put in your furnace....ok, not sort of, but I like the analogy so I'm leaving it!

Hmm - sorry, that could be. Apparently he's arriving today so I must have read that as interviewing today.

Either way, reporting that Mac is part of the meeting is a little weird with no announcement of his being hired. Sort of like having your neighbor's lawn guy sit in as you interview the guy to put in your furnace....ok, not sort of, but I like the analogy so I'm leaving it!

I could be wrong that's just what I had been hearing. Either way you're right.

Archived