46 Years Ago Today....

JetsFanatic

That was a great 25th birthday present for me the 69 in my username is for that year..!969 was also a great year for the Mets and Knicks..

Those three teams all had one thing in common (that the current Jets don't have): character. Same for the '86 Mets.

I always thought Savage+69+avatar pic was all one message. 

Those three teams all had one thing in common (that the current Jets don't have): character. Same for the '86 Mets.

I always thought Savage+69+avatar pic was all one message. 

Sad story about the 86 Met team.. I had a good friend since we were kids who was a huge Red Sox fan and we were watching the series together in CT. When the Sox were 1 out away in game 6 I said Congrats it been a long time for you.. He said they will blow it I just feel it..And then it started a single here the Mookie Wilson Buckner snafu..He said that's it no way will they win game 7 I'm done.. Sadly he died 3 days before they won in 2004..

Sad story about the 86 Met team.. I had a good friend since we were kids who was a huge Red Sox fan and we were watching the series together in CT. When the Sox were 1 out away in game 6 I said Congrats it been a long time for you.. He said they will blow it I just feel it..And then it started a single here the Mookie Wilson Buckner snafu..He said that's it no way will they win game 7 I'm done.. Sadly he died 3 days before they won in 2004..

My dad was a huge Rangers fan ( hockey ). He died in May 1994 just a few weeks before those assholes won the cup

....I remember watching as a kid.

Me too. Back then my Patriots sucked so bad and had such a weak following that many games were blacked out and instead, we watched Jets games on Sundays. The AFL was looked down upon from the NFL and so it was easy for us all to root for the Jets that Superbowl. Add Joe Namath's charisma and celebrity and it was a game for the ages and the win truly changed the future of football forever.

Me too. Back then my Patriots sucked so bad and had such a weak following that many games were blacked out and instead, we watched Jets games on Sundays. The AFL was looked down upon from the NFL and so it was easy for us all to root for the Jets that Superbowl. Add Joe Namath's charisma and celebrity and it was a game for the ages and the win truly changed the future of football forever.

Namath and the Jets won for the whole AFL that year..

Namath and the Jets won for the whole AFL that year..

It was the defining impetus for the two leagues to merge. If the AFL Jets had gotten trounced, the 2 leagues may have never merged and one of them might have gone the way of the USFL or XFL. Winning that championship in such a surprising fashion totally legitamized the AFL.

Archived