Jets to Interview Sean McDermott for HC

C Mart

I respectfully disagree ...

I think he's involved a lot more than is publicly known.  JJ is out there an unabashedly making the calls....

It seems to me, Woody makes too many football decisions for PR reasons - and that is what's most concerning about him, to me.

Ding Ding Ding... thank you 100% agree and this is why no top executive will come to the Jets. They want 100% control.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do you think was instrumental in getting Favre to the Jets to sell PSL'S in his new stadium. Or push to draft Sanchez. Or get Tebow

Sanchez was Rex's guy. Favre was a good move for us, it ended the Pennington era, gave us one of our best regular seasons this decade. Tebow wasn't a terrible move, Rex was stupid for not giving him playing time, but that was all about Rex being loyal to Sanchez.

I respectfully disagree ...

I think he's involved a lot more than is publicly known.  JJ is out there an unabashedly making the calls....

It seems to me, Woody makes too many football decisions for PR reasons - and that is what's most concerning about him, to me.

Then why did Woody keep Rex after the 2012 season?

Everyone is over-rating the sh*t out of that Falcons job.

They have ONE player on defense and NO offensive line. Yes, they have Ryan and Julio, but that is basically it. That team is far less talented than even the Jets. Ryan is a franchise QB in the sense that the team is not going to find anyone more capable, but in the Rodgers/Luck/Brady tier, he is not. They need an entirely new team. We don't.

They have ONE player on defense and NO offensive line. Yes, they have Ryan and Julio, but that is basically it. That team is far less talented than even the Jets. Ryan is a franchise QB in the sense that the team is not going to find anyone more capable, but in the Rodgers/Luck/Brady tier, he is not. They need an entirely new team. We don't.

I just made a similar post, rep for you!

Atlanta is not one player away from having a relevant defense, they need and entire defensive rebuild. Sure, they have Matt Ryan and Julio, but beyond those 2 players, they have a terrible OL, no RB, Roddy White looks done... they are a few drafts away from being good, that team is in piss poor shape.

The Jets have a defense built and ready to go, getting back Milliner and McDougle and a couple of free agency moves and our defense can return to the top 10 in the leauge, there is a wealth of talent on that side of the ball. On offense, we need a QB, a QB makes the parts we've assembled on offense look 100% better.

So, if the coach prospect thinks he can come up with a plan at QB with MacCagnan, then one could make the case that the Jets are far closer to being rebuilt. 

I Totally agree with you, I posted a few times in the Rex to Atlanta threads that I think that Atlanta roster is vastly over rated and it wasn't as great a job as people were thinking.

all those holes are easier to fill than QB

Get Tebow I will give you a little bit, despite Tanny completely taking the blame himself.

Jets had no other choice but Sanchez. Kellen Clemens was a bust and that drafts QBs were awful (Josh Freeman, Pat White)

Now Favre. The new stadium wasn't even built yet. Why Would Woody sign an old QB JUST to get PSLs for a building that wasn't even completed yet?

The owner wanted a new young QB to be his marquee on selling PSL's, so he pushed to hard to get a a young "franchise" QB. Woody went several time to Caly to interview Sanchez.

PSL's were being sold before the new stadium was being built and having a Brett Farve was the big stage Woody covets

Sounds like they are worried they might not be able to get Quinn or Bowles. Today's Peter King MMQB:

a. Atlanta, after Rex Ryan went to the Bills (too much uncertainty in the Falcons organization to hire him, from what I hear), likes two NFC West defensive coordinators—Seattle’s Dan Quinn and Arizona’s Todd Bowles. I bet they’d hire Quinn if he were available right now, but knowing he might not be on the street for three more weeks might play into it.

b. The Jets, I hear, were scrambling to interview Bowles last night or today. They love Quinn too. They may not be able to get Quinn. If I were Quinn, with no sure quarterback there and no great familiarity with prospective GM Mike Maccagnan, the Texans’ director of college scouting, I’d much rather have the Atlanta job, even though I have family roots in New Jersey

Its not like Peter King has not heartfelt hatred for the JETS.

The owner wanted a new young QB to be his marquee on selling PSL's, so he pushed to hard to get a a young "franchise" QB. Woody went several time to Caly to interview Sanchez.

PSL's were being sold before the new stadium was being built and having a Brett Farve was the big stage Woody covets

Right. and THERE WAS NO OTHER CHOICE AT QB. So the owner shouldn't interview potential draft picks now? That's DUMB.

If Woody did do the move for Favre strictly for PSLs (which is false)then shame on the people who bought them for thinking Favre was going to stick around

Yeah negative press. And before you say "any publicity...." why are there rumors that Woody was scared by Mehta's bashing of Marrone? And if that's the case, why did Woody fire Rex now?

There are contradictions in your statement

Marrone and Rex are very different things - Rex comes with baggage but he'll also bring a lot of attention - good or bad, he'll keep the Jets in the public eye...

by most account Marrone is quiet and mostly unlikable (to the media) in the Mehta case you get the worst of both worlds then. 

but to be fair - I'm not saying PR is the ONLY reason he makes decisions but I think it plays a larger role than it should.

I'm not going to be surprised if we see "HC interviews" this week (wink, wink) and these 

candidates are actually guys who Quinn wants on his staff

Is McDermott's contract up in Carolina? I dont think its for the DC position, I dont think Quinn is a guarantee at all. I hope that is the case though.

I'm not going to be surprised if we see "HC interviews" this week (wink, wink) and these 

candidates are actually guys who Quinn wants on his staff

They can re-interview Quinn in a week with Mac there.  That is the scenario I see.  This is good CYA strategy with mcDermott.

Right. and THERE WAS NO OTHER CHOICE AT QB. So the owner shouldn't interview potential draft picks now? That's DUMB.

If Woody did do the move for Favre strictly for PSLs (which is false)then shame on the people who bought them for thinking Favre was going to stick around

No its a smarter to force a QB even though he does not have what it takes to be an upper echelon QB

Atlanta's 2015 cap situation:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/2015/

(without any adjustments or restructures they are ~$20M under the cap...An interesting side-note: $19.5M of their cap this year is consumed by Matt Ryan's contract, if they play with that they might be able to get more cap room)

In contrast, the Jets are currently $39M under the projected cap, and that is before making any roster moves (like cutting Harvin to get $10M in cap relief).  

I'm no numbers guy, but this makes me think the Jets could get to near $50M of free cap to make adjustments this off-season. Having the number 6 overall pick to boot, and a relatively young roster. That has to be appealing to a new hire. 

Atlanta's 2015 cap situation:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/2015/

(without any adjustments or restructures they are ~$20M under the cap...An interesting side-note: $19.5M of their cap this year is consumed by Matt Ryan's contract, if they play with that they might be able to get more cap room)

In contrast, the Jets are currently $39M under the projected cap, and that is before making any roster moves (like cutting Harvin to get $10M in cap relief).  

I'm no numbers guy, but this makes me think the Jets could get to near $50M of free cap to make adjustments this off-season.  That has to be appealing to a new hire. 

I'm sure Mac went in with a QB plan.  There has to be a play to go after someone they think they help them win this year.  Get a solid vet, pick up a guard, another WR, a couple of corners, middle LB and this team can be very competitive quickly...

I'm sure Mac went in with a QB plan.  There has to be a play to go after someone they think they help them win this year.  Get a solid vet, pick up a guard, another WR, a couple of corners, middle LB and this team can be very competitive quickly...

Tom Savage.

A clever team more interested in Quinn might threaten to bring Bowles in for a second interview to force someone's hand to make a move to hire him before he gets a chance to meet for that second interview. 

Rex obviously wasn't a candidate for the Jets job, but I think it's probably less desirable than the Bills job. Ditto the Raiders job, which he didn't even have an interest in interviewing for. 

Brilliant deduction re Bowles  I actually had the same thought and posted my reply before I read this, LOL.  If true, I am impressed with Jet deviousness.

So you wanted Kellen Clemens to start at QB? Is that what you're saying?

Over trading all the picks and players we gave Cleveland at the time.... yes. We could have signed some hold the fort QB. Its easy for me to say what to do right now.

But I really believe Woody Johnson pushed the Jets to trade up to get Sanchez not just for football reasons. When you make on the field decisions for non-football reasons you are doomed.

Is he still under contract? If so, he can't come to the Jets, unless Carolina allows it.

McDermott makes around $1.25 million annually after receiving a raise after last season. He’s signed with Carolina through 2015, according to a league source.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/12/5442333/carolina-panthers-coordinator.html#storylink=cpy

Archived