Jets to Interview Sean McDermott for HC

C Mart

Over trading all the picks and players we gave Cleveland at the time.... yes. We could have signed some hold the fort QB. Its easy for me to say what to do right now.

But I really believe Woody Johnson pushed the Jets to trade up to get Sanchez not just for football reasons. When you make on the field decisions for non-football reasons you are doomed.

Are you forgetting the buzz around Sanchez as the draft came? The guy shot up the draft board like a rocket and there were other teams also trying to trade up to get him. Tanny traded up to get him because he was a good quarterback prospect and the Jets didn't have a quarterback. Woody had nothing to do with drafting Sanchez. What non-football reason was there to draft Sanchez? GQ??? Come on, man...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you forgetting the buzz around Sanchez as the draft came? The guy shot up the draft board like a rocket and there were other teams also trying to trade up to get him. Tanny traded up to get him because he was a good quarterback prospect and the Jets didn't have a quarterback. Woody had nothing to do with drafting Sanchez. What non-football reason was there to draft Sanchez? GQ??? Come on, man...

Tannenbaum and Ryan each had a Woody (pun intended) for Mark.

Over trading all the picks and players we gave Cleveland at the time.... yes. We could have signed some hold the fort QB. Its easy for me to say what to do right now.

But I really believe Woody Johnson pushed the Jets to trade up to get Sanchez not just for football reasons. When you make on the field decisions for non-football reasons you are doomed.

Given that we gave a boatload of rubbish for him, that, IMO, is an idiotic statement.

The owner wanted a new young QB to be his marquee on selling PSL's, so he pushed to hard to get a a young "franchise" QB. Woody went several time to Caly to interview Sanchez.

PSL's were being sold before the new stadium was being built and having a Brett Farve was the big stage Woody covets

Maybe the Jets just wanted to get a good young QB because the team badly needed a QB and every team is constantly searching for that elusive franchise QB.  If you win regularly, the PSL's sell themselves.   

What other teams were trying to trade up for Sanchez, or was that the Cleveland Browns leveraging the Jets. I think Woody pushed for Sanchez to sell PSL's so he could be his south Caliy boy he could marquee boy for PSL's.

What other teams were trying to trade up for Sanchez, or was that the Cleveland Browns leveraging the Jets. I think Woody pushed for Sanchez to sell PSL's so he could be his south Caliy boy he could marquee boy for PSL's.

I remember Washington also actively trying to trade up for Sanchez too. If you think the Jets traded up for Mark Sanchez to sell PSLs and not to try to get a franchise quarterback you're crazy. The Jets had zero hope at quarterback after Favre and Sanchez turned that around.

We didn't give up much to Cleveland. Mangenius kind of got fleeced on that one.

That made it easier to digest. I was no Sanchez fan at all. I wanted to give up a mid-round pick for Jason Campbell and draft Hakeem Nicks.

I remember Washington also actively trying to trade up for Sanchez too. If you think the Jets traded up for Mark Sanchez to sell PSLs and not to try to get a franchise quarterback you're crazy. The Jets had zero hope at quarterback after Favre and Sanchez turned that around.

I don't disagree with the need for a QB at the time, but to force Sanchez was not the right move. He played a hand full of games at USC and was not ready to be drafted where he was. I believe it was Woody who pushed this along.

I don't disagree with the need for a QB at the time, but to force Sanchez was not the right move. He played a hand full of games at USC and was not ready to be drafted where he was. I believe it was Woody who pushed this along.

Ink don't lie. Sanchez wasn't exactly forced on Rex.

Something must of happened with Quinn, i dont think Woody is that smart to bring in Bowles to trick Atlanta into hiring him. I think we should hire Bowles, I think he is a better all around coach.

Yes, but is he a better HC. Lot's of platoon leaders, but not many Generals.

Something must of happened with Quinn, i dont think Woody is that smart to bring in Bowles to trick Atlanta into hiring him. I think we should hire Bowles, I think he is a better all around coach.

I like Bowles as a DC better. I like the way he is aggressive and pressures the offense. Just not sure how that translates into HC where he will run the whole team. I guess that's what our football people will evaluate.

Because it's in Buffalo.

Vs. New York City (and New York Media and New York Fans), that's not actually a negative.

Rex will be far happier, I think, in Buffalo than he was in New York.  Buffalo will love (I think) his College Rah Rah Big Talk ways and tough-guy image and passion.

On the field/talent wise the two jobs are scarily similar, only being 1-win difference between the two clubs over the past four years, and sharing many of the same strengths/weaknesses.

About 200 inches of snow and a small market. You make in the NYC market you make it any where. That said NYC could be rough on you too the could fly planes and have billboards....

It's harder to attract big name free agents to Buffalo as well. Mario Williams is about the only one I can think of in twenty plus years of free agency. And Bryce Paup, lol. That was recent.

????

How can you possibly say this as if it's fact? Neither has been a full-time head coach before.

Easy, my preference is Doug Marrone. Guy took over a terrible Cuse program and when he left it was pointing upwards. Took over a horrible Bills team and is leaving it after it's 1st winning season in forever.

He has proven he is a HC. Many around here are confusing being a good coordinator with being a good HC. Sometimes you are what you are. Joe Walton was a good OC. Gary Kubiack is a good OC. The men who take the top Job need to find themselves a solid people to take over their duties and concentrate on the team.

Here's a question. How many SBs would the Saints have won if their HC had kept an eye on his DC instead of just concentrating on his offense ? What has the Saints won since "Bounty Gate" ?

A HC needs to be a General, not a platoon leader.

Easy, my preference is Doug Marrone. Guy took over a terrible Cuse program and when he left it was pointing upwards. Took over a horrible Bills team and is leaving it after it's 1st winning season in forever.

He has proven he is a HC. Many around here are confusing being a good coordinator with being a good HC. Sometimes you are what you are. Joe Walton was a good OC. Gary Kubiack is a good OC. The men who take the top Job need to find themselves a solid people to take over their duties and concentrate on the team.

Here's a question. How many SBs would the Saints have won if their HC had kept an eye on his DC instead of just concentrating on his offense ? What has the Saints won since "Bounty Gate" ?

A HC needs to be a General, not a platoon leader.

Oh man, I am not gonna take the bait on another Marrone discussion. I've more than said my peace there.

Point is, you can't possible say "Quinn is a better HC than Bowles" because neither are head coaches, nor have they ever been. And no one knows the personality they will take on once they're in that position.

Oh man, I am not gonna take the bait on another Marrone discussion. I've more than said my peace there.

Point is, you can't possible say "Quinn is a better HC than Bowles" because neither are head coaches, nor have they ever been. And no one knows the personality they will take on once they're in that position.

I never did. I have no comment on either until I know who their coordinators will be.

I used to love the road trip to Buffalo to watch the Pats/Bills.

Great football town.

Yes it is a great football town!!! I do remember tailgating there in December 1998 when Jets clinched the division and how cold it was though. There were barn fires all over just to stay warm. I used to go there yearly and it was the best road trip to see a game in our division.

Yes it is a great football town!!! I do remember tailgating there in December 1998 when Jets clinched the division and how cold it was though. There were barn fires all over just to stay warm. I used to go there yearly and it was the best road trip to see a game in our division.

Yep, it was a great road trip.

We'd drive up from Cape Cod in a Winnebago and we used to park on the same old guys front lawn right by the stadium.

Yep, it was a great road trip.

We'd drive up from Cape Cod in a Winnebago and we used to park on the same old guys front lawn right by the stadium.

They get knocked for their weather (says the one living in south Florida) but the fans were always fun. There was not many ways in and out of the stadium but that was apart of its charm.

Sean Mcdermott

Although there has been no official announcement, several reports are indicating that Mike Maccagnan is the new general manager of the NY Jets. He isn’t wasting any time, as he is set to interview Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator for the vacant head coaching position.

This interview could be a matter of having a contingency plan in place, as Woody Johnson seems like he is waiting on Dan Quinn. Quinn is busy at the moment as the Seahawks prepare to play the Packers in the NFC Championship game.

Todd Bowles (Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator) is another candidate and he is coming back in for a second interview.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that both the New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons are bringing in Bowles for a second interview, according to sources informed of the plans.

The Jets, meanwhile, provide the type of defensive personnel already on the roster that would lend nicely to Bowles’ creative blitz schemes

If the Jets decide that Bowles is their top choice, they are free to work out a deal with him right away.

The speculation about ex-Bills coach Doug Marrone has quieted down, and we are told the Jets are no longer seriously considering hiring Marrone. One other candidate with a background in offense took his name out of the running. Ex-Texans coach next season.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
KTX0LvJhQlo

View the full article

Archived