Time To Look At Drafting Something Other Then QB

New York Mick

Or people would be saying what they have all year. His game won't work in the NFL.

His game won't work, but does his skills allow him to learn another one. He is not Tebow but Kapernick with a better head. He needs development. Chan Gailey I think can be the guy to help him.  He won't get by St Louis @10

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're going to trade arguably our best defensive player for a draft pick and a $10 million guard?  Not that I disagree with signing Iupati, but why are we paying him 20% more than the highest paid guards?  

Smart play would be to give Mo a contract extension and sign Iupati.  We've got $50 mill in cap space, no reason to lose one of our best players for more cap space.

The highest paid guards get paid more than 10 mill.

The highest paid guards get paid more than 10 mill.

No, they don't. The highest paid guards in the league max out at $8.5 million per and it tapers off relatively quickly.  The top 4 or 5 LGs and RGs get paid between $6-$8.5, the rest are scattered between $4ish mill give or take.  

This isn't to say I wouldn't sign Iupati, I most certainly would as he likely would perform consistently through the extent of a five or six year contract, but I would do say in addition to extending Mo.  It makes absolutely no sense to get rid of your best player, draft an unproven player at the same position and then use the money to overpay an offensive guard by 20% more than the current highest paid OGs.

Archived