Contrarian View: Media gushing over Rex in Buffalo, why...?

ebonix

And for his 6 year tenure it remained that we had no pass rush to speak of.  Rex's exotic blitzes were all we had, and if he didn't feel like drawing them up for a given week, the opposing QB could set up a nice picnic lunch between the tackles while the CBs were expected to carry the load.  That's a risk the Bills will face when they're playing anyone not named Brady (and now probably Smith).

Bills fans will soon learn that the Gipper is dead and you can only rah rah team up so many times in a season to get them to play better than they can on emotion.  They'll learn that that trick plays that make a team look dominant in the first half get stale about 5 minutes into the third quarter, and that a great personality can't hide a lack of fundamentals for very long.

Until then, it's a honeymoon, and that's why they're gushing over him.

Fact check: NYJ 2008 defense was ranked 18 in pts and 16 in yds.  That's mediocre, ranked right in the middle, not horrible or ranked anywhere near the bottom.  (In addition, our best DEF PTS ranking in the past 4 years is 19th - that is 4 years of failing to achieve the standard set by that "guru" Mangini.)

Want to rep this so many times

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2014 Jets were tied for 6th in the league with 45 sacks. 

Source: NFL.com

True enough.  And this year 14 of those 45 were Wilkerson and Richardson.  Most of the rest were LB and S. (Pro-football reference dot com).  I doubt we sent 1 LB/S combo in those 31 other instances, so yes, we have mainly depended on the blitz to create our pass rush.  I didn't say we don't get sacks, I said we haven't had a pass rush without blitzing.  Rex is a blitzaholic, among other things.

He is not an impending FA and doesn't have an opt-out clause he can trigger.

If the Pats cut him, they don't really have a leg to stand on if they want to bitch about him signing with the Jets.

They are negotiating with him to reduce his next years cap hit. The owner of another team went on TV and said that he would pay that contract.  Once he is cut -if he is then Woody can say what ever he wants. The rules are clear- you can not say you want a guy that is under contract with another team. Period. He can't say he would like Brady even though it is ridiculous to think that he would not. Revis now "knows" that Woody will pay him 16mill a year for two years any offers by the pats now have to be better than that or he knows that he can go to the jets.

If Kraft said next December that he would Pay Wilkenson 12 mill a year would you consider that tampering? Wilkenson will not be under contract for the next year even though the jets have the right to tag him at 15mill.  It would be tampering.

Most media outlets are gushing praise on Buffalo for hiring REX.  Boomer Esiason thinks he will have a big impact there.

... I am taking the contrarian view..... I think he will be a 6-10 coach and those fans will be highly disappointed in him.  He has no QB again, no 1st

round pick.... and he is laughing all the way to the bank; for pulling a P.T. Barnum carnival job on them.  Discuss.

What do you mean no QB. Mark Sanchez and Rex will have a reunion in Buffalo and Mario Williams will be happy to move to LB as he was in Houston when they wanted to do that. Sanchez can wipe his boogers on EJ Manuel now and he will be much closer to the hot dog vendor.  It's all good. For the Jets.

Dude Jets have no QB either.....never said we had one......in any case Rex as an HC proved one thing...he is no HC.

Jets fans know this. I am absolutely befuddled by the Buffalo choice. I don't think they even brought anyone else in which is incredible in itself. Rex must have convinced the Pegula's that 4-12 was really 12-4. I think they panicked when Marrone walked away and jumped at the first guy they could find. Rookie owners making rookie owner mistakes. They will pay dearly.

Jets fans know this. I am absolutely befuddled by the Buffalo choice. I don't think they even brought anyone else in which is incredible in itself. Rex must have convinced the Pegula's that 4-12 was really 12-4. I think they panicked when Marrone walked away and jumped at the first guy they could find. Rookie owners making rookie owner mistakes. They will pay dearly.

No one can sell Rex like Rex the Pegula's never stood a chance Rex gave Kim Pegula a toe job 5 minutes into the meeting..

They are negotiating with him to reduce his next years cap hit. The owner of another team went on TV and said that he would pay that contract. Once he is cut -if he is then Woody can say what ever he wants. The rules are clear- you can not say you want a guy that is under contract with another team. Period. He can't say he would like Brady even though it is ridiculous to think that he would not. Revis now "knows" that Woody will pay him 16mill a year for two years any offers by the pats now have to be better than that or he knows that he can go to the jets.

If Kraft said next December that he would Pay Wilkenson 12 mill a year would you consider that tampering? Wilkenson will not be under contract for the next year even though the jets have the right to tag him at 15mill. It would be tampering.

I don't recall Woody naming a price, just saying that he wished we'd signed Revis and that he would love to have him back. He did tamper. I'm not questioning that. My point was that the ship has sailed on that. They should have filed charges immediately. They didn't. If they're saving it for some sour grapes PR move, good for them. They shouldn't have signed a mercenary to a contract that would force them to cut him after one season without renegotiation.

I don't recall Woody naming a price, just saying that he wished we'd signed Revis and that he would love to have him back. He did tamper. I'm not questioning that. My point was that the ship has sailed on that. They should have filed charges immediately. They didn't. If they're saving it for some sour grapes PR move, good for them. They shouldn't have signed a mercenary to a contract that would force them to cut him after one season without renegotiation.

Why, Kraft accepted Woody's explanation that it was just hypothetical, now if the jets sign revis or attempt to do so, it shows that his explanation to Kraft was BS and then charges will be filed.

And woody said that he did not think that revis would have been available for the contract that he signed in NE and that he would have paid it. This was one of the quotes from the press conference.

“Darrelle is a great player,” Johnson said. “ If I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for that [contract], I probably would have taken him. It was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle’s a great player. I’d love Darrelle to come back.”

Why, Kraft accepted Woody's explanation that it was just hypothetical, now if the jets sign revis or attempt to do so, it shows that his explanation to Kraft was BS and then charges will be filed.

And woody said that he did not think that revis would have been available for the contract that he signed in NE and that he would have paid it. This was one of the quotes from the press conference.

“Darrelle is a great player,” Johnson said. “ If I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for that [contract], I probably would have taken him. It was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle’s a great player. I’d love Darrelle to come back.”

Oh, "hypothetical". You mean, "hypothetical", like say the Patriots release him? They had Woody nailed on tampering charges, but since Kraft bought Woody's excuse, that's that. No crying over spilled milk if the Patriots intentionally pour the milk out.

Oh, "hypothetical". You mean, "hypothetical", like say the Patriots release him? They had Woody nailed on tampering charges, but since Kraft bought Woody's excuse, that's that. No crying over spilled milk if the Patriots intentionally pour the milk out.

No, it was not hypothetical in what he said, the quote is there and on Video. He said it. The call was private between Woody and Kraft but he acknowledged that he called Kraft and apologized.

We will see, remember Woody was fined last year for the Jackson comments previously.  And Chicago didn't file tampering charges against SF until after they already re-signed Briggs and they still got to switch 3rd rounders. And this is after Chicago called up SF and asked if they wanted to trade for briggs when he was tagged.

You are very correct.......

Archived