Why panic now and hire Bowles??

Francesa is pumping Bowles.  But, what a coincidence, so is Bill Parcells, who wants his son in law to sign him

Bill Parcells head coaching recommendations should make every Jet fan very nervous.  He pushed Ray Handley for the Giants, Al Groh for the Jets, and Tony Sparano for the Dolphins......fwiw

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that, but I try (and succeed) not to let that douche influence any of my opinions.

Watch some Bowles interviews on youtube.  Made me really like the guy, FWIW (which is nothing)

he could be great.  I just get a kick out of Francesa still sniffing BP's butt.

Bill Parcells head coaching recommendations should make every Jet fan very nervous.  He pushed Ray Handley for the Giants, Al Groh for the Jets, and Tony Sparano for the Dolphins......fwiw

Yep...I always wondered if Parcells recommended Sporano to the Jets when they were looking for an OC.  He used him as an OC in Dallas and then got him the Miami job.  Parcells obviously thought very highly of Sporano.

At this point I'd panic more if they don't sign Bowles. He interviews with ATL tomorrow, with Broncos HC job up for grabs Quinn might not even be ours once he's available.

That is exactly what will happen if he leaves he is the HC of the Falcons and we r stuck with our C or D candidate and look like a clown show.

Sparano is a good head coach, but overall your point has merit.

The narrative has already been constructed in many people's minds that all of the Jets/Quinn rumors had to have been the absolute truth, no chance that it was misinformation, and therefore if the Jets hire Bowles it'll be "settling" or "missing out" or whatever. Let them run with it, it's hilarious that there could be this much adamant distinction between two guys we know very little about. 

You know what's ridiculous?  Neither of these guys are proven at the HC level, so it's all speculation about how they'll do.

And with that, unless you are convinced that Quinn is MUCH better (and how could you be?) than Bowles, then you have to take Bowles, rather than risking missing out on both.

In other words, 1A vs 1B, if that's even the case, may be far better than 2 or 3.

I don't know enough about either of them to say who I want, but if they like Quinn better, I'd rather see them wait to get him, than hire the guy they like less, for a few weeks.

Actually if they liked Quinn better than Bowles, that means to me that Bowles is the better choice...

You know what's ridiculous?  Neither of these guys are proven at the HC level, so it's all speculation about how they'll do.

And with that, unless you are convinced that Quinn is MUCH better (and how could you be?) than Bowles, then you have to take Bowles, rather than risking missing out on both.

In other words, 1A vs 1B, if that's even the case, may be far better than 2 or 3.

Exactly what I was posting this morning. I agree.

You don't feel those elite talents, who were mostly mid-round picks, were coached up at some point/currently?

Chancellor and Sherman were mid rd picks. Wagner,Irvin and Thomas were 1st or 2nd rders. Most of the Dline were brought in via free agency. To answer your question i really dont know. One thing i dont like about how Quinn runs that defense is that he leaves Sherman on one side of the field pretty much every game and doesnt use him to shadow an opponets top wr. It doesnt really matter anyway since we hired Bowles

Why Bowles? What has he done?

Why not give the guy a chance? What have any of the other candidates done? Perhaps you would prefer Marrone, he of the 15-17 record? Or maybe you wanted Marc Trestman, or maybe you are just an undying Rex Ryan lover. That must be it, can't get over that man crush on Rex.

Once Quinn leaves Seattle's D won't skip a beat. I am not saying he won't be a good coach. If he goes to ATL he will be in a perfect position if he brings in the right OC and gets the right D in place he will succeed. Bowles I think is the better all around coach who has more experience coaching as a whole.

Once Quinn leaves Seattle's D won't skip a beat. I am not saying he won't be a good coach. If he goes to ATL he will be in a perfect position if he brings in the right OC and gets the right D in place he will succeed. Bowles I think is the better all around coach who has more experience coaching as a whole.

Yet I assure you that Pete's defenses were not top 5 before Quinn.

Yet I assure you that Pete's defenses were not top 5 before Quinn.

As the DC on the 49'ers in the mid 90's I think they were.. As for the Hawks in 2011 when Bradley was the DC they were 7th in points allowed the problem was the O was 23rd in scoring that changed with the addition of Wilson..

Can't win.  Sign Bowles and he screwed up.  Let Bowles sign w/ Atl or Chicago and lose Quinn to Denver and he screwed up.  Panic is signing Eric Mangini or Herm Edwards.  Looking at your top two or three candidates and trying to lock them up isn't a horrible idea.  That being said, I'd prefer they do some backchannel stuff to find out if they have a real shot at Quinn.  If he wants to come home to NJ and Woody is willing to pay, then wait.  If Quinn won't give an answer, look at every option.

In other words, you admit that it was a move in response of fear of losing Quinn and having no one?

In other words, you admit that it was a move in response of fear of losing Quinn and having no one?

How could I admit to something I don't know?  Like everyone on here, I'm guessing as to what I believe happened.  What I think happened, was that once the Broncos job opened up and the Atlanta vacancy hadn't been filled, the Jets knew Quinn could have two possible job openings with two elite QB's.  They knew Bowles was due to visit one of the teams with said elite quarterback and they pounced.  No matter what Woody did, some people were bound to complain about it because that's what some people do.

In this case however, Woody has been praised pretty much universally but I still expect some people to upset with Woody hiring one of the consensus top-2 choices available.

How could I admit to something I don't know?  Like everyone on here, I'm guessing as to what I believe happened.  What I think happened, was that once the Broncos job opened up and the Atlanta vacancy hadn't been filled, the Jets knew Quinn could have two possible job openings with two elite QB's.  They knew Bowles was due to visit one of the teams with said elite quarterback and they pounced.  No matter what Woody did, some people were bound to complain about it because that's what some people do.

In this case however, Woody has been praised pretty much universally but I still expect some people to upset with Woody hiring one of the consensus top-2 choices available.

I agree with you. I am just overly disappointed as I sincerely believe this to be simply another panic move.

I agree with you. I am just overly disappointed as I sincerely believe this to be simply another panic move.

It all comes down to what you consider to be a panic move.  In my opinion, a classic Jets panic move would have been them saying "Oh no, Bowles is interviewing with Atlanta tomorrow and the Broncos could get Quinn, we better get Doug Marrone NOW".

Instead, they said (again, my best guess) "One of the top two guys we want could be gone tomorrow if we don't get him today.  Then Quinn can choose between Geno Smith and Peyton Manning.  Get Bolwes in here before Atlanta even has a chance to make him an offer".

It all comes down to what you consider to be a panic move.  In my opinion, a classic Jets panic move would have been them saying "Oh no, Bowles is interviewing with Atlanta tomorrow and the Broncos could get Quinn, we better get Doug Marrone NOW".

Instead, they said (again, my best guess) "One of the top two guys we want could be gone tomorrow if we don't get him today.  Then Quinn can choose between Geno Smith and Peyton Manning.  Get Bolwes in here before Atlanta even has a chance to make him an offer".

You have valid points. 

Seattle's D is gonna be broken up, they cant pay Sherman, Kam, Wagner, ect.. plus their QB

Quinn leaves at right time. 

Bowles resume is better. He served as an assistant head coach, and interim head coach, while also serving as a DC with more than one franchise. Quinn has only been a DC with Seattle and a college team.

I've also read in three different places (including noted Jet hater Gary Myers) that Bowles was more impressive in his interview than Quinn. 

Archived