Jets are hiring Bowles - RapSheet source [NECRO]

Integrity28

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impossible to know for sure until we see him in action, but all reports suggest his players love him.  He's been described as pretty level-headed.  He learned under Parcells.  He was put in a tough spot as interim coach in '11 with the Dolphins and did well, albeit in a small sample size.  He has the stamp of approval from football people.  He did very well with an injury-ravaged Cardinals D last year.  That part may not always translate to HC, but you have to admit he had far less talent last year than Rex ever had in Baltimore before he came here.

And his first decision, hiring Chan Gailey, seems a smart one.  He hired a guy with a ton of experience, both as OC and more importantly as HC, to be his top advisor.  That speaks some volumes already.  It shows he recognizes he needs to learn how to be a HC.  It's not ideal to have to hire a guy who learns on the job, but we can hope he's a quick learner and doesn't require years and years to grow into the role.

Again, we have little to go on with first-time HC's.  But the available FORMER HC's out there was under-whelming.  Kubiak seems like a Peter Principle guy.  People don't seem to love Marrone in football circles.  I liked Fox as a "Get the ship righted quickly guy", but no chance he would have come here. 

So far I see no reasons to be be unhappy with the hire.  If we got this wrong it wasn't just a "Woody sucks" moment.  He listened to the advice of smart football people around him, which is a HUGE step in the right direction for this franchise.

Great post.

For the first time in a few years I'm excited about the Jets and their future. Love the hires. Think Bowles can really become a terrific HC.

Seems to be the overall feel for the site. It's the first time since I'm a member of JN that the fan base as a whole feels this way. 

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians: "I couldn’t be more happy for Todd. The Jets got themselves a tremendous coach and an even better person. We’re sorry as hell to lose him but we all knew this day was coming, especially with the job he did here the last two years. Todd and I go back more than 30 years. He was one of my captains at Temple and it was obvious then how special he was. His passion for the game and intelligence are as high as anyone I’ve ever been around. Todd’s been ready for this for a long time and I’m ecstatic for him to finally get the opportunity.”

dang

I really like the sound of this guy !!!

Congrats you finally got the answer you wanted to hear. Cause that has to be the only reason why someone wouldn't like the idea of hiring Bowels over Quinn or and experienced coach. It has to be race. That's always the reason.

I've seen a lot of dumb conversations here, and contributed to plenty, but it's a rare day when a conversation makes me think, "I really have no ******* idea what is wrong with these guys."

Congratulations.

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians: "I couldn’t be more happy for Todd. The Jets got themselves a tremendous coach and an even better person. We’re sorry as hell to lose him but we all knew this day was coming, especially with the job he did here the last two years. Todd and I go back more than 30 years. He was one of my captains at Temple and it was obvious then how special he was. His passion for the game and intelligence are as high as anyone I’ve ever been around. Todd’s been ready for this for a long time and I’m ecstatic for him to finally get the opportunity.”

dang

I really like the sound of this guy !!!

I have gotten to read some of these quotes from people that have known Bowles or worked with him and I'm very excited.

Intelligent

Players coach

Defensive strategist

Great Guy

I'm all in baby!!!

Wow. They look very comfortable and happy about the camera being in the room.  LOL

You just know they were thinking.  "ok man. Shut that f*cking thing off now"

I love bowles desk. Soooooooo clean..... and bare   :D

I have gotten to read some of these quotes from people that have known Bowles or worked with him and I'm very excited.

Intelligent

Players coach

Defensive strategist

Great Guy

I'm all in baby!!!

Got to admit. It's making me excited. The adoration for this guy around the league is amazing. I don't think I've ever seen such an overwhelming amount of compliments on a first time Head Coach getting hired from people all around the league.

Did the Jets do something right?

Got to admit. It's making me excited. The adoration for this guy around the league is amazing. I don't think I've ever seen such an overwhelming amount of compliments on a first time Head Coach getting hired from people all around the league.

Exactly. He is extremely well respected. Gotta love that. I saw the tweet from Cro and that was positive too.

Todd Bowles: "It's an honor and privilege to coach the Jets," Bowles said. " ... I can't help but be humbled by the chance to coach this team. I'm going to do everything I can to build a consistent winner."

Rex Ryan: "I lost some victories along the way, but I never lost my swagger." "We're going to build a bully and see if you want to play us for 60 minutes."

I like the direction we're going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Todd Bowles: "It's an honor and privilege to coach the Jets," Bowles said. " ... I can't help but be humbled by the chance to coach this team. I'm going to do everything I can to build a consistent winner."

Rex Ryan: "I lost some victories along the way, but I never lost my swagger." "We're going to build a bully and see if you want to play us for 60 minutes."

POTW

Yes.

The only question is will it work out.

But yes, he's a "good, smart, properly made, hire".  No doubt.

I think he meant 56 minutes... Considering the last two minutes of each half and all.

I also agree with you and it is amazing and nice to see it connected to the Jets for a change!!

I actually feel like I am in an alternate universe, I am not used to this at all.......

I really do think Woody hit it out of the ballpark. Even Andy Reid had an interview about the hire. As im doing my research on both Bowles and Maccagnan, I have to say that the foundation of this front office and coaching staff is looking legit. Its at the right time two because in 2 to 3 years we should really be revving and Brady and Beli should be in nursing homes enjoying retirement. Cant wait to see what Bowles can do against a NE team. The guy gets alot of love for his 2nd half adjustments.

Players will be shocked they're gonna have to respect the headcoach who is also going to hold them accountable for once. No more movies for Geno, no more missed team meetings for Pryor & company. No more broken coverages in the defense. No more selfish penalties. Looking forward to all that.

Hello Jets fans!  It's been a while since I visited over here.  I believe it was to warn you about the Rod Graves hire.

This time however I'm here to congratulate you.  Todd Bowles is indeed the real deal.

The biggest reason that the Cardinals have been so successful the last two years has been the lights out play of the Cardinals Defense under Todd Bowles.  I guess the same could also be said for Dan Quinn of the Seahawks.  However here is the big difference, Bowles has had to play with half a deck this year.  Where Quinn has enjoyed 2 years of a stacked defense.

Here is what makes Bowles so special.  Last offseason the Cardinals lost the leader of their defense ILB Karlos Danby to the Browns via FA.  It was a big blow to the defense but not a back breaker.  The sucker punch came a few months later when the Cardinals learned that their best defensive player ILB Daryl Washington was suspended for the year.  So boom!  The Cardinals start training camp without their best two defenders from the year before.  Oh and by the way the "Honeybadger" is still recovering from a blown up knee suffered late last year and wouldn't be a starter till mid way through the season.

It gets worse.  The emotional leader of the defense DT Darnell Dockett tears up his knee during training camp and is lost for the season.  Then after everyone thinks it can't get worse, the best and ONLY pass rusher left on the team from a year before DE John Abraham decided to retire before he even plays a down due to concussions.  Oh and by the way the stud punter who was an expert at pinning opposing teams inside the 10 is lost for the year as well.  So now a team that relied on pinning a team back and smothering them with great defense was in question.  Needless to say fans were close to jumping off cliffs before the season even began.

These were just the losses/injuries that occurred before the season started.  There were a ton more that occurred in season on the defense.  Not once did Bowles blink.  He adapted his defense to suit the "next man up" philosophy.  He took rookie SS Deone Buchannon and moved him to play a hybrid ILB.  Bowles often had 3-4 safeties on the field and used exotic blitz packages.  One thing was for sure, Bowles had to manifacture a pass rush.  He blitzed early and often as a way to pressure the QB.  That often meant leaving his DBs in one on one coverage.  Yet amazingly it worked!

My favorite thing about Bowles is that he never let up.  Even with a lead he would never go into a "prevent" defense.  He would keep bringing pressure till only zeros remained on the clock.  No coach has done more with less this year.  That is what makes Bowles so special.  He has proven the ability to adapt.

Hello Jets fans! It's been a while since I visited over here. I believe it was to warn you about the Rod Graves hire.

This time however I'm here to congratulate you. Todd Bowles is indeed the real deal.

The biggest reason that the Cardinals have been so successful the last two years has been the lights out play of the Cardinals Defense under Todd Bowles. I guess the same could also be said for Dan Quinn of the Seahawks. However here is the big difference, Bowles has had to play with half a deck this year. Where Quinn has enjoyed 2 years of a stacked defense.

Here is what makes Bowles so special. Last offseason the Cardinals lost the leader of their defense ILB Karlos Danby to the Browns via FA. It was a big blow to the defense but not a back breaker. The sucker punch came a few months later when the Cardinals learned that their best defensive player ILB Daryl Washington was suspended for the year. So boom! The Cardinals start training camp without their best two defenders from the year before. Oh and by the way the "Honeybadger" is still recovering from a blown up knee suffered late last year and wouldn't be a starter till mid way through the season.

It gets worse. The emotional leader of the defense DT Darnell Dockett tears up his knee during training camp and is lost for the season. Then after everyone thinks it can't get worse, the best and ONLY pass rusher left on the team from a year before DE John Abraham decided to retire before he even plays a down due to concussions. Oh and by the way the stud punter who was an expert at pinning opposing teams inside the 10 is lost for the year as well. So now a team that relied on pinning a team back and smothering them with great defense was in question. Needless to say fans were close to jumping off cliffs before the season even began.

These were just the losses/injuries that occurred before the season started. There were a ton more that occurred in season on the defense. Not once did Bowles blink. He adapted his defense to suit the "next man up" philosophy. He took rookie SS Deone Buchannon and moved him to play a hybrid ILB. Bowles often had 3-4 safeties on the field and used exotic blitz packages. One thing was for sure, Bowles had to manifacture a pass rush. He blitzed early and often as a way to pressure the QB. That often meant leaving his DBs in one on one coverage. Yet amazingly it worked!

My favorite thing about Bowles is that he never let up. Even with a lead he would never go into a "prevent" defense. He would keep bringing pressure till only zeros remained on the clock. No coach has done more with less this year. That is what makes Bowles so special. He has proven the ability to adapt.

Thanks for the support! Everything I hear about the guy makes me more and more confident.

Thanks for the support! Everything I hear about the guy makes me more and more confident.

No problem.  Just wanted to give you a Cardinals fans perspective as I've seen everything he has accomplished in the last 2 years.

Another great story I forgot to mention about Bowles.  This one was how he prepared to play the Cowboys and Demarco Murry.  The Cowboys assumed that the Cardinals would play their typical 3-4 defense against them.  They were completely unprepared when Bowles came out using a 4-3 for almost the entire game.  It was a brilliant move and the Cardinals defense held Murry to just 28 yards.  You can read more about it here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000423159/article/how-the-arizona-cardinals-shut-down-demarco-murray

It's just another example of how Bowles thinks outside the box.

No problem. Just wanted to give you a Cardinals fans perspective as I've seen everything he has accomplished in the last 2 years.

Another great story I forgot to mention about Bowles. This one was how he prepared to play the Cowboys and Demarco Murry. The Cowboys assumed that the Cardinals would play their typical 3-4 defense against them. They were completely unprepared when Bowles came out using a 4-3 for almost the entire game. It was a brilliant move and the Cardinals defense held Murry to just 28 yards. You can read more about it here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000423159/article/how-the-arizona-cardinals-shut-down-demarco-murray

It's just another example of how Bowles thinks outside the box.

Wow that's incredible, I was unaware. Thanks again, great info.

"Todd Bowles best gift is his ability to pick players" -Falcons DC Mike Nolan on @SiriusXMNFL. Will Maccagnan let him?

Interesting. I know Bowles spent a year working in personnel with Wolf in Green Bay, but for all the misinformation being spread out there about how "Bowles and Rex are similar", this is a marked difference. Rex was AWFUL at identifying talent and/or influencing the GM's personnel decisions. 

Nice read, thanks. I always liked how he was able to turn things around, whether it's Miami or his great 2nd half adjustments with the Cardinals. He somehow always found a way to fix things that didn't go too well, he always got his team/defense out of a mess and found ways to get the job done. That's huge. Teams will lose, that's a given. But how do you recover from that? Rex sucked at it. Bowles is the opposite.

Archived