Rex Ryan/Bills Press Conference News (merged)

Bruce Harper

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know that Buffalo was Rex's first choice and that Rex was basically their 5th choice.

That's because Buffalo went into the interviews with an open mind.  There was no #1 choice.  When they met Rex,  they wanted him

<p>

"Bills' Kim Pegula: Rex Ryan was not our first choice

• 0ap3000000408080.jpg
  • print.png

g-plus.png

fb-like.png

share-button.png

• By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 21, 2015 at 07:40 a.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 21, 2015 at 08:09 a.m.

Rex Ryan was not Kim Pegula's first choice in Buffalo.

That's what the Bills' owner told her own in-house radio show this week when asked about the former Jets head coach who was signed to a hefty five-year contract last week.

"It was a little bit of a surprise, I'm going to admit, because he was not a candidate that we had really on the top of our list as, 'Wow, this is the guy we want. Let's go get him,'" Kim said, via The John Murphy Show. "We were just being very open-minded about everybody. But he really came in and really kind of elevated himself to that top position, where we said, 'Hey, listen, we need to have another talk with this guy.'"

Pegula is experiencing what many do when they meet Ryan for the first time. He's earnest up front and extremely engaging, which is difficult to ignore, especially for first-time owners.

While we're not suggesting the Pegula's made a mistake -- Ryan's energy alone will re-energize a fan base that needs an identity beyond C.J. Spiller -- it's not surprising he won them over quickly and toppled the list of candidates.

She did not mention who the previous No. 1 candidate was.

Of course, anyone who has been in a room with Ryan knows it doesn't matter. He is the consummate salesman.

But can his brand of bully football -- defense first, powered by the run game -- finally succeed without a top-tier quarterback driving the ship?"

Yup, Rex's charm won him the job, good luck buffalo when that charm wears thin after the bad timeouts, bad discipline and close look at the clown assistant coaches.

As predicted, the only way he was getting hired was if some nitwit owner fell for Rex's shtick and ignored the football people in the building, and that's what she's admitting to here.

That's because Buffalo went into the interviews with an open mind.  There was no #1 choice.  When they met Rex,  they wanted him

So she lied in her statement that Rex was not the #1 choice and they had another person in mind that was the #1 choice?  Cool.

As predicted, the only way he was getting hired was if some nitwit owner fell for Rex's shtick and ignored the football people in the building, and that's what she's admitting to here.

I want to personally attack your face :max:

If you want to pin it on one single person Woody is your guy.  Every time he gets involved it becomes a disaster.  He was the one behind so many of the screw ups for years to get us where we are today, for example:

- Pull Brett Favre out of retirement for one year and not draft a QB (that was the year we drafted Gholston) when we could have had Flacco.  Next year we end up giving up draft picks and players to get Sanchez.

- Sign Santonio Holmes to a huge contract resulting in us dropping the following productive players from the AFCCG team, over the next two years: Damien Woody, LT, Tony Richardson, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Moore, Matt Slausen, Jericho Cotchery,  Brian Hartsock.  D. Woody was replalced by Wayne Hunter and with no backs, or TEs that could block and no receiver to throw to Sanchez was geting killed.  In the meantime, Holmes reverted to his cancer self, then was injured, he never had a productive season after signing that contract, what a mess.

- Forced the signing of Tim Tebow, which is when the Jets Circus started.

- Forced the trade of Revis, in and of itself not a horrible thing, but after the following year we drop Cromartie and we blow off Revis when he says he'd like to come back.  Goodbye Jets season, hello Superbowl Patriots.

- At the end of all this Woody's justification for firing Rex is because Rex wasn't vocal enough to stop the madness.  Give me a break. 

It's so clear to me what the issue has been all along, but since we can't fire the owner folks on this board need other scapegoats.   Woody's name should have been trailing behind the plane right along with Idzik and to this day he remains the same arrogant, reactive, meddling owner.  Need proof?  Now Bowles reports directly to Woody,  What will he do next.  How about letting the people you hire do their job. 

this................

If your owner says he wasn't your #1 choice that means somebody else was. Stop BS yourself. They had no shot at any of the other redhot HC candidates, like a Quinn or Bowles. It's a good fit regardless. The Bills have no face or identity so they bring in the clown to get some attention, to get somebody every football fan is going to recognize and put a face on that franchise. It worked out (for now). After 2-3 seasons you'll get sick of him again, the way the Jets got sick and tired of his act.

If your owner says he wasn't your #1 choice that means somebody else was. Stop BS yourself. They had no shot at any of the other redhot HC candidates, like a Quinn or Bowles. It's a good fit regardless. The Bills have no face or identity so they bring in the clown to get some attention, to get somebody every football fan is going to recognize and put a face on that franchise. It worked out (for now). After 2-3 seasons you'll get sick of him again, the way the Jets got sick and tired of his act.

If the Pegulas had a #1 choice,  then why did Russ Brandon (Pres) and Doug Whaley (GM) say that when the right one comes along,  you'll know it? Rex was called back 2 days after the initial interview.    Why wouldn't we have a shot a red hot HC?  Pegulas are not afraid to spend money,  we finished 9-7, have a great defense.   We have a decent O Line but Hackett didn't make the calls,  Marrone did and Marrone is gone.  In terms of our QB, there will be a new starting QB and when the announcement is made,  you'll know that we do have face and identity.  Just for the record,  the plan is to hire 2 QB.    Don't blame Rex Ryan for the stumbling blocks over the past four years.  Remember Idzik was fired for a reason.  Instead of bashing the Bills,  think about the 2015 season.  The Bills and Jets have an opportunity to knock the Patriots out of the Championship next year.  We each need to win 2 games.  Last year,  the Jets lost by 1 and 2 points in the games played against the Patriots.   We won 1 (even though Patriots didn't play their first line but a win is a win) and we lost 1.  I'll be backing the Jets when they play New England and I hope you will back the Bills when we play them.

"Bills' Kim Pegula: Rex Ryan was not our first choice
  • 0ap3000000408080.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 21, 2015 at 07:40 a.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 21, 2015 at 08:09 a.m.

Rex Ryan was not Kim Pegula's first choice in Buffalo.

That's what the Bills' owner told her own in-house radio show this week when asked about the former Jets head coach who was signed to a hefty five-year contract last week.

"It was a little bit of a surprise, I'm going to admit, because he was not a candidate that we had really on the top of our list as, 'Wow, this is the guy we want. Let's go get him,'" Kim said, via The John Murphy Show. "We were just being very open-minded about everybody. But he really came in and really kind of elevated himself to that top position, where we said, 'Hey, listen, we need to have another talk with this guy.'"

Pegula is experiencing what many do when they meet Ryan for the first time. He's earnest up front and extremely engaging, which is difficult to ignore, especially for first-time owners.

While we're not suggesting the Pegula's made a mistake -- Ryan's energy alone will re-energize a fan base that needs an identity beyond C.J. Spiller -- it's not surprising he won them over quickly and toppled the list of candidates.

She did not mention who the previous No. 1 candidate was.

Of course, anyone who has been in a room with Ryan knows it doesn't matter. He is the consummate salesman.

But can his brand of bully football -- defense first, powered by the run game -- finally succeed without a top-tier quarterback driving the ship?"

Yup, Rex's charm won him the job, good luck buffalo when that charm wears thin after the bad timeouts, bad discipline and close look at the clown assistant coaches.

They had no first choice,  they went into the interviews with an open mind.

Die hard Jets fan since 1990, that doesn't change the fact that I defend a coach who had given us the most fun since forever.  I understand he didn't win the SB which is our ultimate goal but with what was given to him, he did good job for us. 

No wonder you don't know what you're talking about.

Die hard Jets fan since 1990, that doesn't change the fact that I defend a coach who had given us the most fun since forever.  I understand he didn't win the SB which is our ultimate goal but with what was given to him, he did good job for us. 

Agree Dr. Jets.  

lol, seems you did not even read the article or headline of the article I quoted?  Duh...

listened to the phone conference live.  Once again,  the Pegulas did not have a #1 choice when they started the interviews.  They went into the process with an open mind.  The article summarizes.  It doesn't give the entire conversation.

Maybe you didn't have the opportunity to listen to the news conference. The owner said all 4 (2 Owners, Pres and GM) agreed on the hire

Maybe you didn't read the post. It was about personally attacking Tom Shane's face

Our motto here is "In Pegula We Trust."  If the Pegulas say something, you can take it to the bank.

They've done a fine job of building the Sabres.....that Ville Leino contract.......

Hey I like Pegula, he seems to really want to win and win for the city but he's not the best at getting results so far with the hockey team and the Rex hire was not the best thing for the team.  You will see, sooner or later.

You're right,  I didn't.  What can I say,  I'm new here

If you are new here and female, BP has a New Hire Class he holds at his business, The 'Jugs-a-Flying Dance Club' on Rt. 4 in Paramus.

He will contact you. 

FYI: He is a good looking chap with Cigar Breath.

"The Pegula's are clueless." Nothing can be further from the truth

They wanted to extend Marrone. In principle, HE was the #1 choice. In theory, a person doesn't say the choice they made wasn't the #1 choice, if there wasn't a #1 choice. It's sort if basic logic.

They may have said 'open mind', but more likely that evolved into 'willing candidates'.

They've done a fine job of building the Sabres.....that Ville Leino contract.......

Hey I like Pegula, he seems to really want to win and win for the city but he's not the best at getting results so far with the hockey team and the Rex hire was not the best thing for the team.  You will see, sooner or later.

I don't follow hockey but am a diehard Bills fan.  I stand behind them 100%.  I stand behind our owners and front office decisions.  I liked Doug Marrone while he was here.  However,  when I listen to the enthusiasm and plays that Rex rolls out,  I really get excited.  I think our team needs him.    By the way,  I'll be plugging for the Jets when they play New England  (don't like the Patriots).

Patriot fans say, "in Belichick we trust."

Works out well for them. I guess I retract saying you sound like a sucker.

I don't know what works for the Patriots but it works for us. As far as being a sucker,  it's not my M.O. to name call

Archived