Rex Ryan/Bills Press Conference News (merged)

Bruce Harper

I posted this in another thread but it probably fits here better.

I have zero love for the Ryan family. In fact one of my first posts here was regarding my thoughts on Rex Ryan:

He is Buffalo's problem now. Funny his Buffalo introductory press conference so reminded me of his dad's "You have a winner in town".

"You've got a winner in town," Buddy Ryan told us that fine day.

This was a few minutes after Ryan signed that fat contract with Bill Bidwill, the Cardinals owner.

Buddy Ryan reminds me of Jackie Gleason playing Ralph Kramden. All Ryan needs on the sidelines is one of Kramden's old bus-driver uniforms.

Ryan's got a bigger and even more boastful mouth than Gleason, the proverbial Great One, had, and this time, it has placed him in a predicament he may not emerge from intact.

"We're going to be in the playoffs," Ryan assured one and all. Oh, sure. Where are they headed now after two performances that have revealed this is an Arizona Cardinals team without an offense?

If Ryan ends up getting the boot, he will have no one to blame but himself.

Now compare that to:

"I know it's been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs. Well, get ready man. We're going. We are going." - Rex Ryan

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanders turns out is in fact a good PR. Not sure who dropped the bal figuratively, but looks like a group effort. Guy muffs a punt and then he's gone. Not exactly a brilliant piece of player developement by anyone involved. Speaks of a scared pussified approach that tells players in very stark terms if you make a mistake you're done.Didn't see anywhere Ryan sticking up for a player in any way. As with any number of servicable down roster depth guys over his 6 years doesn't appear Ryan helped develop anyone. Either arrive as the finished product or be gone. Unless you got a cool nickname like the terminator. 

It felt to me like a "this team has discipline problems, so we need to make an example of someone" moment, but yes. I agree.

"Fourth in the league was probably a little disappointing," he said. "I know we'll lead the league in defense."

They better because the offense is going to struggle. Mightily. I don't care who the OC is in Buffalo, he will surely have Mark Sanchez as his starter, so good luck with that. It is so baffling why a team in such dire need for offense to become a contender that they would select the anti-offense Rex Ryan as their HC. Pegula has his head stuffed up his rear end. He almost called Rex the HC of the Buffalo Sabres. 

Personally, I am going to miss Rex. He was so easy to make fun of and I will miss that when the grownups take over the Jets. Professionalism will be the norm now not the accidental happenstance.

Newsflash: you can still make fun of him, but now it doesn't have to correlate to the futility of the Jets.

Personally, I am going to miss Rex. He was so easy to make fun of and I will miss that when the grownups take over the Jets. Professionalism will be the norm now not the accidental happenstance.

If there's one place I demand professionalism it's my foosball team. 

I don't want any tom foolery going on while drinking beers, farting, and yelling at the TV on Sundays.

They better because the offense is going to struggle. Mightily. I don't care who the OC is in Buffalo, he will surely have Mark Sanchez as his starter, so good luck with that. It is so baffling why a team in such dire need for offense to become a contender that they would select the anti-offense Rex Ryan as their HC. Pegula has his head stuffed up his rear end. He almost called Rex the HC of the Buffalo Sabres. 

When you look at Ryan's pattern he appeals to owner's who don't have a personality (sorry Woody) and whose

team needs an infusion of energy.  So the power of his personality overwhelms the owner and they get "hypnotized"

into hiring him.  That's why BAL never elevated him to HC, Bisciotti knew Ryan's act and didn't buy into his "schtick"

I posted this in another thread but it probably fits here better.

I have zero love for the Ryan family. In fact one of my first posts here was regarding my thoughts on Rex Ryan:

He is Buffalo's problem now. Funny his Buffalo introductory press conference so reminded me of his dad's "You have a winner in town".

Now compare that to:

Rex is hs father. There is no question about it. May be having grown up often away from his dad he feels compelled to imitate him in every way. 

There's a lot about Buddy Ryan to respect. He served America heroically and  honorably in Korea, he's had a long successful career and was DC for 2 very impressive Super Bowl winners-the Jets and the Bears.His players love him. Cris Carter cannot say enough nice things, and Ryan cut him, leading to him finally dealing with his drug problem and getting his life back on track.

But the boasting and the arrogance are really out of control, and speak of a vey insecure person. Instead of dealing with the obvious family blind spot about offense, the Ryans act like saying anything about it  is a personal insult instead of dealing with it. All the swagger in the world is not gonna get the Bills anywhere if they average 13-16 points a game no matter how good their defense is. Greg Roman steps into a job in which he is really all alone. He'll get no help form the head coach, and if he fails Ryan won't hesitate to flop him. 

Still babbling about ground and pound yesterday could be some of the emptiest nonsense I've ever heard. 

Idzik could have been the Jets GM for a long time but he kept insisting in sabotaging his HC, in order to bring one of his own.

I think that youre right. He was screwing Rex while acting like he was on his side.

Crazy the Idzk didn't sign one of the FA CBs that were available.

Jets had the Packers on the ropes with Geno Smith. Lots of close losses that just didn't fall the Jets way.

Still babbling about ground and pound yesterday could be some of the emptiest nonsense I've ever heard.

I laugh every time I hear this Hard Knocks Rex speech that reinvents the obvious:

"If we play at our best, we will beat every team in this f-ckin league playing at their best. So who's it on? Whose shoulders does it fall on? ... OURS!!!"

I only got to hear pieces of the NC but boy this guy is a total windbag. "last year we had the #4 ranked defense. Well that's not good enough next year we'll be #1". YEAH YEAH YEAH. Rex do yourself a favor and go out and buy a snowblower. Enjoy Buffalo.

He seems to be enjoying Buffalo and the owners,  front office and fans really like him.  

Rex was selling himself to the Bills fanbase in that presser, big time. The boasting, the jab at Marrone, it was all to get the fans behind him.

Francessa tore him a new one yesterday. LOL

Give him credit. That's all he's good at. Also wanting to be in the snowiest part of buffalo and his jabs at the Jets. A true professional

sanchez will go there if he has 1/2 brain,,knows job is his,,where else in NFL can sanchez go and be the favorite as camp opens to be starter? nada

and w/Bills D and Rex schemes,,,and sanchez being held in check as game manager they will do best Rex is capable of , a 9 W run where they miss or just make playoffs, but dont have prayer advancing far

The Jets are currently in the midst of the most important time in the history of the franchise , gutting the entire organization for whole sale change and this is the #1 thread on the board.

Jets fans are a very strange group of people.

sanchez will go there if he has 1/2 brain,,knows job is his,,where else in NFL can sanchez go and be the favorite as camp opens to be starter? nada

In fairness, he'd instantly be the favorite to be #1 here for the Jets too.

Sanchez is worlds better than Geno sh*ts.

but Jets would never take him,, so like I said, Bills ONLY NFL place for him to be fave going into camp

Why's that?  Literally not a single person involved with Sanchez is still here, so there is no lingering ill will here now outside of some fans.

And why Buffalo?  Rex ruined Sanchez here, and got him hurt for nothing and cost him the 31 job, remember?  Think Sanchez forgot that so quickly?

If Sanchez is the BAP FA QB, our FO would be grossly incompetent not to consider him seriously as the fill-in/short-term Veteran FA literally everyone thinks we need right now.

Keeping Sanchez away from Rex (and make no mistake, Sanchez > Emanuel right now) also hurts the Bills, while making us better.

I'm no Sanchez Fan, was glad to see him gone, but as time has passed, I continue to think more and more that it was never Shotty, Sanchez, Tanny, etc.  

It was always Rex.

I could live with Sanchez back in NY for a few seasons under new leadership whilst we develop the next #1 QB. 

Bet the Cardinals wish they had Sanchez this year.  He'll have more suitors than just Buffalo IMO.

Why's that?  Literally not a single person involved with Sanchez is still here, so there is no lingering ill will here now outside of some fans.

And why Buffalo?  Rex ruined Sanchez here, and got him hurt for nothing and cost him the 31 job, remember?  Think Sanchez forgot that so quickly?

If Sanchez is the BAP FA QB, our FO would be grossly incompetent not to consider him seriously as the fill-in/short-term Veteran FA literally everyone thinks we need right now.

Keeping Sanchez away from Rex (and make no mistake, Sanchez > Emanuel right now) also hurts the Bills, while making us better.

I'm no Sanchez Fan, was glad to see him gone, but as time has passed, I continue to think more and more that it was never Shotty, Sanchez, Tanny, etc.  

It was always Rex.

I could live with Sanchez back in NY for a few seasons under new leadership whilst we develop the next #1 QB. 

Bet the Cardinals wish they had Sanchez this year.  He'll have more suitors than just Buffalo IMO.

It would be a PR nightmare for the Jets to take such a backward appearing step by resigning Sanchez.

I dont think thats what the new GM wants or needs to start his career here.

Having said that, Sanchez will not have any difficulty finding a job. He proved with Philly his shoulder is healed and that he is decent option for teams in need at the position.

It would be a PR nightmare for the Jets to take such a backward appearing step by resigning Sanchez.

I dont think thats what the new GM wants or needs to start his career here.

Having said that, Sanchez will not have any difficulty finding a job. He proved with Philly his shoulder is healed and that he is decent option for teams in need at the position.

If the new GM cares more about "PR" than he does about making the team better on the field, he's not a very good GM.

Frankly, if our new GM ever listens to fans, in any way, ever, he's a bad GM.

I don;t WANT Sanchez back any more than anyone else.....but if he's the best QB on the market, and we don't draft in spots #1 and #2, then he SHOULD be signed.

Signing a lesser QB just to avoid "PR" is pants on head dumb.

It was always Rex.

cant be 100% positive but I HIGHLY doubt Woody would open that can of worms.. 

Stop with the Sanchez talk already. Nobody likes him and when he did play for us he absolutely sucked. And he sucked in Philly considering how much talent he had around him. Not. Interested. And I doubt Woody wants this little Rex supporting rat back in NY playing for the Jets. So move on. There are QB's out there you can get more out of, with a lot more potential if used correctly.

Archived