CB Buster Skrine [2 yrs. 4 mil]

QB Brian Hoyer [1 yrs. 3 mil]

Draft:

1. OLB Shane Ray

2. WR Dorial Green-Beckham

3. QB Garret Grayson

4. FS Chris Hackett

Notes:

Former Cardinal Acho follows Bowles to New York. Jets go with Franklin who is a better pass-protector at guard now that they employ a spread attack, Gaily sign also alludes to CJ Spiller pickup. Adding Shane Ray to our defensive front would just create more issues for any quarterback trying to get comfortable in the pocket. Flowers and Skrine give us some much needed veteran credibility and experience at the corner position. Dorial Green-Beckham is a headache off the field, but worth the risk in round 2 as he has Dez Bryant physical ability. As for the QB competition, let the best man win.

I will put Maccagnan in a headlock myself if he gives Wilkerson a 6 year deal for 85 million. Are you f'ing kidding me? Watt got 6 years for 100 million and I dont see Wilkerson doing 85% of what Watt does on the field. JJ Watt isnt human so he gets a deal like that. He's by far the best at what he does. Dude has been in the league for as long as Wilkerson yet is already a legend. Wilkerson is not getting a contract like that. What JJ Watt received is exactly why I feel we need to trade Wilkerson now and let Coples step up in his place. Thats just ridiculous.

If we sign Hoyer to be our QB I will ******* lose my mind, he is not good enough to win a playoff game if by some miracle the rest of the team is good enough to get in the playoffs. I'm sick of this well he won't lose the game, get me a guy who will WIN you the game in the playoffs, and Hoyer sure as sh*t ISN'T it.

I'd rather go 4-12 with Geno until we find a true possible winner in draft, or by some miracle a possible stud alla D Brees wiggles free (fingers crossed Bradford gets cut loose, and we grab him I think he could be the next Drew Brees, and would fit perfectly into what Chan Gailey would want to do on O).

If we sign Hoyer to be our QB I will ******* lose my mind, he is not good enough to win a playoff game if by some miracle the rest of the team is good enough to get in the playoffs. I'm sick of this well he won't lose the game, get me a guy who will WIN you the game in the playoffs, and Hoyer sure as sh*t ISN'T it.

I'd rather go 4-12 with Geno until we find a true possible winner in draft, or by some miracle a possible stud alla D Brees wiggles free (fingers crossed Bradford gets cut loose, and we grab him I think he could be the next Drew Brees, and would fit perfectly into what Chan Gailey would want to do on O).

WIth this new OC it seems like Geno may be going into a scheme more his speed as well. I say we get a QB in FA as well as draft a QB in the mid rounds, but that FA QB doesnt have to be Hoyer. We for sure draft a QB every single year until we hit though.

WIth this new OC it seems like Geno may be going into a scheme more his speed as well. I say we get a QB in FA as well as draft a QB in the mid rounds, but that FA QB doesnt have to be Hoyer. We for sure draft a QB every single year until we hit though.

Agreed, right now there is no QB who will be available that I would prefer to Geno, and I dislike Geno a lot. Need to draft a QB at 6 if by some miracle one of the 2 fall to 6. Or in 2nd, or 3rd round Bryce Petty, Garrett Grayson type picks. Sign a backup QB like a Orton type who could win a game, or 2 if we actually find a good starting QB, and he has to miss a few games.

Not Hoyer type who thinks he should be a starter in this league, love his confidence, but I don't believe he is a starter in this league if you want to win deep in playoffs. would take M Sanchez over him any day, Mark has a knack for the big game, and has shown with proper weapons he can go, and win a game in pressure situations, and already beat both Peyton, and Brady in playoffs. I don't want M Sanchez back, just saying id take him over Hoyer.

Agreed, right now there is no QB who will be available that I would prefer to Geno, and I dislike Geno a lot. Need to draft a QB at 6 if by some miracle one of the 2 fall to 6. Or in 2nd, or 3rd round Bryce Petty, Garrett Grayson type picks. Sign a backup QB like a Orton type who could win a game, or 2 if we actually find a good starting QB, and he has to miss a few games.

Not Hoyer type who thinks he should be a starter in this league, love his confidence, but I don't believe he is a starter in this league if you want to win deep in playoffs. would take M Sanchez over him any day, Mark has a knack for the big game, and has shown with proper weapons he can go, and win a game in pressure situations, and already beat both Peyton, and Brady in playoffs. I don't want M Sanchez back, just saying id take him over Hoyer.

Chip Kelly Showed that Mark Sanchez is serviceable. If he cuts his turnovers in half Mark Sanchez is a top 15 QB. Not sure if you want to run the gaunlet with him again given the history. Maybe it would be best to move forward given that we're cleaning house. Overall though I still think Sanchez can play in this league. I say see where Philly is with Foles. If they're really serious about moving forward then I'd try for him as well. Nick Foles came from an Air Raid offense in college, same as Geno.

If Geno Smith is the starting QB next season, Woody hired the wrong dudes.

As we should know, finding a good QB is not easy.  Unless there is a better option in free agency, we would have to draft someone.  If we don't get one of the top two qb's, which I'm still not certain would start day one, then Geno is the man.

I will put Maccagnan in a headlock myself if he gives Wilkerson a 6 year deal for 85 million. Are you f'ing kidding me? Watt got 6 years for 100 million and I dont see Wilkerson doing 85% of what Watt does on the field. JJ Watt isnt human so he gets a deal like that. He's by far the best at what he does. Dude has been in the league for as long as Wilkerson yet is already a legend. Wilkerson is not getting a contract like that. What JJ Watt received is exactly why I feel we need to trade Wilkerson now and let Coples step up in his place. Thats just ridiculous.

The cap is about to go up.

I like the draft, but there's a lot of "NO" in your FA... Harris is going with Rex. Flowers would be terrible in our scheme, and I'm not paying Snacks for nothing. We've got an assload of DTs, and while Harrison isn't bad, he's hardly a NT worth tying up money in... and honestly, there's no balls on the table when Franklin is your big score. We need Iupati and everyone knows it.

Is Acho unrestricted? Definitely think the Jets will have interest if he is.

Shane Ray is possibly a beast. The Von Miller comps out there are horrible - Miller is a superior, more versatile, and more cerebral defender that just happens to be a freak athlete among freak athletes. Ray as the Merriman to Miller's Ware THO? I'm curious.

If we go defense with our number 1 pick we have to get Perriman from Miami, wouldnt mind trading down into the teens.

For an ILB? That guy better be amazing.

Trading down would also suck excepting an extreme circumstance.

Edit: I know, I know...use the multi-quote. I forget these things. :shrugs:

It's going to be interesting for sure, these guys will have their own mind set and ideas.

The Jets may go in a different direction, OLine, OLB. I'm not adverse about trading Mo for a 1st and change. Rather than giving him a 76-85 million contract, and using the money to fill more holes. Addition through subtraction.

I would argue that Wilkerson is doing about 85% of what Watt does on the field. Granted he was not fully healthy this year, when he is, always rated one of the best defensive lineman in football according to pro football focus. It could be a stretch and perhaps he never plays out to that contract, however due to his talent, age, and charitable work off the field I say pay the man!

Obviously I could see a 6 year deal for 65 million to be more ideal and lets hope that happens.

I like the draft, but there's a lot of "NO" in your FA... Harris is going with Rex. Flowers would be terrible in our scheme, and I'm not paying Snacks for nothing. We've got an assload of DTs, and while Harrison isn't bad, he's hardly a NT worth tying up money in... and honestly, there's no balls on the table when Franklin is your big score. We need Iupati and everyone knows it.

We are going to install a spread offense, Franklin is a better fit because he is more athletic. Ipuati is a power run-blocker. Franklin is also graded [according to Pro Football Focus] as a better Guard than Iupati.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/25/2015-free-agents-guards/

1. Orlando Franklin [Rating 12]

2. Mike Iupati [11.2]

3. Clint Boiling [5.8]

4. Ronald Leary [5]

5. Joe Reltz [4.6]

I would argue that Wilkerson is doing about 85% of what Watt does on the field. Granted he was not fully healthy this year, when he is, always rated one of the best defensive lineman in football according to pro football focus. It could be a stretch and perhaps he never plays out to that contract, however due to his talent, age, and charitable work off the field I say pay the man!

Obviously I could see a 6 year deal for 65 million to be more ideal and lets hope that happens.

You can argue the point all you like. Wilkerson is one of the best defensive lineman in football, but he isnt the 2nd best defensive lineman in football. If you give a defensive lineman 85 million, he better be 2nd right behind Watt, and not that far behind. Im not even going to waste your time putting up stats, Watts presence on the field warrants 100 million if you were to give such a contract to a defensive lineman. He's the most dominate player on the field at any position 99 percent of the time and he's the most dominate player on his team 100% of the time. Wilkerson isnt even the most dominate Jets player on the field 95 percent of the time since his signing. He's been sharing a great portion of that percentage with Darrelle Revis and then Sheldon Richardson. And for the record, if you put Watt on the same team as Richardson and Revis at the same time today (Richardson and Revis never played together) JJ Watt would be the most dominate player on the field 100% of the time. Mo Wilkerson is an excellent player, JJ Watt is a masterpiece. There's a difference my friend.

Watt has dismantled and utterly destroyed teams literally by himself, and this type of JJ Watt shows up every single game. Wilkerson is no where near 85% of anything called JJ Watt, so to give him 85% of JJ Watts contract is a mistake.

You can argue the point all you like. Wilkerson is one of the best defensive lineman in football, but he isnt the 2nd best defensive lineman in football. If you give a defensive lineman 85 million, he better be 2nd right behind Watt, and not that far behind. Im not even going to waste your time putting up stats, Watts presence on the field warrants 100 million if you were to give such a contract to a defensive lineman. He's the most dominate player on the field at any position 99 percent of the time and he's the most dominate player on his team 100% of the time. Wilkerson isnt even the most dominate Jets player on the field 95 percent of the time since his signing. He's been sharing a great portion of that percentage with Darrelle Revis and then Sheldon Richardson. And for the record, if you put Watt on the same team as Richardson and Revis at the same time today (Richardson and Revis never played together) JJ Watt would be the most dominate player on the field 100% of the time. Mo Wilkerson is an excellent player, JJ Watt is a masterpiece. There's a difference my friend.

Watt has dismantled and utterly destroyed teams literally by himself, and this type of JJ Watt shows up every single game. Wilkerson is no where near 85% of anything called JJ Watt, so to give him 85% of JJ Watts contract is a mistake.

First of all if you are saying I am a STATS guy then I would be all over Watt. His are clearly way better. I am not. Wilkerson is a disruptive player whose impact often goes well beyond the statistics, even though the emergence of other stars on the New York Jets defensive line helped him put up great numbers in 2013. He plays in a defense where a lot of the time his job is to occupy blockers. Watt moved around a lot more and was given a much more aggressive role because of his speed and versatility. He weighs about 25-30 pounds lighter than Wilkerson, so they are slightly different players. Houston ranked 11th vs the run on defense this year, the Jets ranked 5th. Wilkerson is extremely difficult to move and create holes, JJ Watt is too but I am saying they are similar in that respect. Watt may be more explosive, have better acceleration, and apply a lot more pressure to the quarterback, but Wilkerson is good in his own right. Do I think 10-12 mil a year is too much? Absolutely! But you are going to have a difficult time finding another player of his caliber and other teams will be happy to pay him instead.

Besides Watt if I could have any defensive lineman for the 3-4 at this moment? I would take Wilkerson. Who would you take? Stats aside, who do you believe are at the top of the DE position specifically for the 3-4?

I get it, you love Watt, he is a beast, best defender in football right now. Wilkerson is a beast in his own right though, and while he is not JJ Watt if you put him on a team that actually has an offense where Wilkerson doesn't have to be put on the field over and over again, give him a team worth playing for and you will see a different Wilkerson.

My top 3 DE for 3-4:

1. Watt

2. Wilkerson

3. Campbell

First of all if you are saying I am a STATS guy then I would be all over Watt. His are clearly way better. I am not. Wilkerson is a disruptive player whose impact often goes well beyond the statistics, even though the emergence of other stars on the New York Jets defensive line helped him put up great numbers in 2013. He plays in a defense where a lot of the time his job is to occupy blockers. Watt moved around a lot more and was given a much more aggressive role because of his speed and versatility. He weighs about 25-30 pounds lighter than Wilkerson, so they are slightly different players. Houston ranked 11th vs the run on defense this year, the Jets ranked 5th. Wilkerson is extremely difficult to move and create holes, JJ Watt is too but I am saying they are similar in that respect. Watt may be more explosive, have better acceleration, and apply a lot more pressure to the quarterback, but Wilkerson is good in his own right. Do I think 10-12 mil a year is too much? Absolutely! But you are going to have a difficult time finding another player of his caliber and other teams will be happy to pay him instead.

Besides Watt if I could have any defensive lineman for the 3-4 at this moment? I would take Wilkerson. Who would you take? Stats aside, who do you believe are at the top of the DE position specifically for the 3-4?

I get it, you love Watt, he is a beast, best defender in football right now. Wilkerson is a beast in his own right though, and while he is not JJ Watt if you put him on a team that actually has an offense where Wilkerson doesn't have to be put on the field over and over again, give him a team worth playing for and you will see a different Wilkerson.

My top 3 DE for 3-4:

1. Watt

2. Wilkerson

3. Campbell

I wasnt saying that you're a stats guy. Im a stats guy, but there are certain things that stats wont pick up, and in situations like that you simply have to see the player. With that said, this is the best way that I can put this. JJ Watt is worth 100 million dollars over 6 years. Mo Wilkerson is not worth 85 million dollars over 6 years.

Wilkerson is a top 10 overall DE and a top 5 3-4 DE. He is not the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the game. His own team mate Richardson is better. Campell is better and Justin Smith from the 49ers is better. I know my position could possibly come off as me somehow not liking Mo Wilkerson, thats quite the contrary. I love Wilkerson, especially when I ended up being wrong about the draft pick. But Wilkerson is not...and I'll repeat, IS NOT the best 3-4 DE behind Watt. He's not 85% of what Watt is and he's not even the best 3-4 DE on the New York Jets Roster. He's valuable, which is why you trade him and not over pay him by over 40 million damn dollars.

Archived