With the 6th pick...

DaBallhawk

2015 Draft  

107 members have voted

1. 1. With the 6th pick the Jets select...

• QB Jameis Winston
    • QB Marcus Mariota
    • OLB Randy Gregory
    • OLB Vic Beasley
    • OLB Shane Ray
    • WR Amari Cooper
    • Player Not Listed
    • Trade Down & Pick Up Multiple Day 1 Picks

Things happen, guys drop. Obviously not all of the guys listed will be available but to say that neither QB will be there at 6 for sure that's a bit of a reach.

If you say so, I'd say thinking either QB will drop to #6, given the scarcity of QB's and teams in need of one above us, is the reach here.

But Fantasy on I suppose.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you say so, I'd say thinking either QB will drop to #6, given the scarcity of QB's and teams in need of one above us, is the reach here.

But Fantasy on I suppose.

You should charge teams for predicting what's gonna happen on draft day. 100k per pick I'd say.

I think Aaron Rogers is a good example of not following conventional wisdom when it come to the draft.

Brady Quinn is another guy. Leinart to the Texans over Texas QB Vince Young...list goes on and on. And we're just talking QB's now. But hey, draft starts tomorrow. It's not like we're still in the '14 season. Everything is already set in stone.

Why are the top two QB's even on this poll?

It's a foregone conclusion from almost every legit observer of the NFL, that they will be gone before Pick #3.

I appreciate folks want to fantasize, but neither QB is falling to #6, and both will likely be gone #1 and #2.

Sadly, so will the #1 WR on the board as well.

so, go Lineman maybe, build a killer O-line?

This. Seems the Ape and I are very much of like minds of late.

Scary.

There are no foregone conclusions on the draft in Jan, unless Andrew Luck is out there. And he's not. They could slip.

I would be pretty upset if they went OL, to be honest. It's not a huge problem that everyone claims it is. Good QB play will make it look much better.

After QB, this team needs playmakers desperately on both sides of the ball.

Just a hunch but Bowles likes edge rushers and corners, so I just highly doubt his first pick as a Head Coach is OL.

I think Aaron Rogers is a good example of not following conventional wisdom when it come to the draft.

AR was considered an elite prospect that was considerd a possible number one pick but fell b/c it was believed he had personality problems.  I would argue that from a pure football perspective, he was way above Winston at the same time.

But I mean, he didn't come out of nowhere and I don't think many people were ultimately *that* surprised that he became an elite player.  He did develop a lot more than most, but then the talent was always there.

There are no foregone conclusions on the draft in Jan, unless Andrew Luck is out there. And he's not. They could slip.

I would be pretty upset if they went OL, to be honest. It's not a huge problem that everyone claims it is. Good QB play will make it look much better.

Just a hunch but Bowles likes edge rushers and corners, so I just highly doubt his first pick as a Head Coach is OL.

Aren't you the guy who said Rex never had a say in who was drafted? He was simply "not given any talent"?

Guess it won't be up to Bowles who we draft then, will it? Mac Single Malt will make the pick.

I'll be VERY surprised in this years draft if both QB's are not gone asap. It's just not a strong QB draft, and there s a ton of need for QB at the top. Unless there is another rape, I'm just not seeing this fantasy of the best QB's falling to us at #6, sorry.

I'll also freely admit I may be biased as well, since I don't want either QB, and prefer we sign a Vet to start, demote Smith and draft a mid-rounder to develop given the 2015 field.

OL, Pass Rush, WR, all are fine by me. All needs, all improvements.

TBH and it might be a little far fetched, I would love it if the Jets waived Harvin, as he's a big headache, and draft Cooper in RD 1 and DGB in RD 2. 

Not far fetched at all, it only makes sense unless Harvin takes a paycut. He's a good player but obviously not worth top 5 WR money, plus he's always hurt. Wouldn't call him a headache though, he's been fantastic for us in terms of being a team player so far. Maybe he's just trying to not mess up until he gets his next big contract from us or somebody else but so far he's been pretty cool, playing through injuries and being tough as nails, always saying the right things, not complaining. Not that he has a reason to considering how many touches he got...

Why are the top two QB's even on this poll?

It's a foregone conclusion from almost every legit observer of the NFL, that they will be gone before Pick #3.

I appreciate folks want to fantasize, but neither QB is falling to #6, and both will likely be gone #1 and #2.

Sadly, so will the #1 WR on the board as well.

so, go Lineman maybe, build a killer O-line?

This. Seems the Ape and I are very much of like minds of late.

Scary.

Between now and the draft so many names and predictions will change. U really think these two qb's are locked for the top 3? They definitely can be but between the combine and interviews things change. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them dropped to 6 and I hope they don't because I would like to pass at this point.

He won't be making the pick though, right? It'll be the new GM.

Take out his outlier fluke 6 TD game and how do things look?

I'm okay with him as a stop-gap, but that's a pretty misleading stat.

I hear ya. Still think he's a good stop gap like you said. What if you take away his 3 interception game vs the Giants instead? His numbers would be ever better.

Here's the last 10 #6 draftees...admittedly a very meh number to be at

2005- Pac man Jones

2006- Vernon Davis

2007- LaRon Landry

2008- Vernon Gholston

2009- Andre Smith

2010- Russell Okung

2011- Julio Jones

2012- Morris Clairborne

2013- B. Mingo

2014- Jake Mathews

posted this last night at like 2 in the morning but the thread died pretty quickly, just wanna see what you guys think

this is my ideal offseason subject to change for various reasons

draft a ready to start OL preferably a G  seeya colon, worst OL(see holding penalty on 3rd and 4 probably 3 times a game) we have, let LG figure itself out in camp or sign someone (lupati?) if possible or both

draft a qb and bring someone in (locker? hoyer?) let QB figure itself out in camp

sign a vet CB who isnt crazy, (flowers, cro?) start season with milliner and veteran all others battle for nickel positions 

draft an OLB and sign an ILB harris for less money or sign veteran (spikes, maualuga?) IK reilly rookie and coples battle for OLB davis and veteren (whoever it may be) start ILB

draft a RB, let rookie and bilal fight for second RB duties

sign a safety (delmas, mcourty, allen?) let antonio allen jarret and pryor battle for SS

if we cut percy sign a bigtime reciever, hopefully demaryius thomas either way let last years rookie receivers battle for 4 and 5

sign a TE who can block keep cumby and amaro and get rid of that long haired ex pat tall for nothing fvcker

resign harrison or ellis preferably harrison depends on the $$$ situation (if we need to skimp or not)  tj barnes is still around and besides that DL is fine

My preference for draft order

1-OL trade back if not worth a top 6 pick (remember were still missing a 4th if we keep percy) 

2-OLB

3-QB

2/3/4/ - depending on whether or not we trade back but WR/RB/TE

5-CB

6/7 some high risk high reward type players maybe imjury prone but talented or talented but a bad attitude, i really dont care

i wanna see some wheeling and dealing, obviously we cant sign every top player at the positions i stated above but some combo would make me happy

AR was considered an elite prospect that was considerd a possible number one pick but fell b/c it was believed he had personality problems.  I would argue that from a pure football perspective, he was way above Winston at the same time.

But I mean, he didn't come out of nowhere and I don't think many people were ultimately *that* surprised that he became an elite player.  He did develop a lot more than most, but then the talent was always there.

I cry Bullsh1t, Rodgers fell because of arm talent not because of personality issues. The Packers changed his throwing motion and it took 2 years to do it.

Here's the last 10 #6 draftees...admittedly a very meh number to be at

2005- Pac man Jones

2006- Vernon Davis

2007- LaRon Landry

2008- Vernon Gholston

2009- Andre Smith

2010- Russell Okung

2011- Julio Jones

2012- Morris Clairborne

2013- B. Mingo

2014- Jake Mathews

Notice who drafted the biggest bust on that list......

Aren't you the guy who said Rex never had a say in who was drafted? He was simply "not given any talent"?

Guess it won't be up to Bowles who we draft then, will it? Mac Single Malt will make the pick.

I'll be VERY surprised in this years draft if both QB's are not gone asap. It's just not a strong QB draft, and there s a ton of need for QB at the top. Unless there is another rape, I'm just not seeing this fantasy of the best QB's falling to us at #6, sorry.

I'll also freely admit I may be biased as well, since I don't want either QB, and prefer we sign a Vet to start, demote Smith and draft a mid-rounder to develop given the 2015 field.

OL, Pass Rush, WR, all are fine by me. All needs, all improvements.

Pretty sure I never said that, though I dont think Rex ever had final say.  Clearly there is collaboration between HC and GM but I think its pretty obvious with what's been leaked lately that he didnt have too much say the past 2 seasons. Whatever, let it go.  He's gone now.

My guess is that a brand new first time Head Coach is going to have some input on his very first draft pick.  Especially considering he's working with a brand new first time GM.  Maybe not. Who knows but I'd think there would be some collaboration between Mac and Bowles on who to take at 6th.

This time 3 years ago, Geno Smith was the consensus 1st overall pick.  Like many have said, there are numerous other examples.  It's January.  Lots of time between now and the draft.  A QB slipping to #6 is a very real possibility and far from fantasy.  

We agree on OLB/Pass Rusher and WR.  I'm not a huge fan of OL in the first, period, but especially when its really not a need and you're not taking a Tackle...which I cant see the Jets doing. Interior lineman are not top 6 picks.  

If the QB isnt there, Cooper, Ray, Fowler Jr.  I could dig those names. I've got to watch Fowler Jr. first hand for the past few years and the guy is an incredible player. 

Pretty sure I never said that, though I dont think Rex ever had final say.  Clearly there is collaboration between HC and GM but I think its pretty obvious with what's been leaked lately that he didnt have too much say the past 2 seasons. Whatever, let it go.  He's gone now.

My guess is that a brand new first time Head Coach is going to have some input on his very first draft pick.  Especially considering he's working with a brand new first time GM.  Maybe not. Who knows but I'd think there would be some collaboration between Mac and Bowles on who to take at 6th.

This time 3 years ago, Geno Smith was the consensus 1st overall pick.  Like many have said, there are numerous other examples.  It's January.  Lots of time between now and the draft.  A QB slipping to #6 is a very real possibility and far from fantasy.  

We agree on OLB/Pass Rusher and WR.  I'm not a huge fan of OL in the first, period, but especially when its really not a need and you're not taking a Tackle...which I cant see the Jets doing. Interior lineman are not top 6 picks.  

If the QB isnt there, Cooper, Ray, Fowler Jr.  I could dig those names. I've got to watch Fowler Jr. first hand for the past few years and the guy is an incredible player. 

What do you think of Vic Beasley, Clemson? 

Is there a stud MLB/ILB available? Like a Vilma type? I'd trade down to around spot 15 or something and then pick up an ILB/MLB a la Daryl Washington or Kuechly. You have to have a stud ILB in the 3-4 who can run around and make plays. Or get that pass rusher at around 15, there's a handful of them that will be 1st round picks.

Kid from Mississippi State

Want no part of Mariota. None.

I'm intrigued by Winston, but I don't think it's wise to burden a new regime with that sort of gamble.

Amari Cooper is the safest pick there, imo.

Wouldn't love drafting a right tackle, but I'd understand it.

Sounds like Cardale Jones is coming out. I'd like to see us take a shot on him in the 3rd.

This Mock from Gang Green Nation:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/15/7551269/scouting-the-2015-draft-combo-mock-1-0

Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan have a chance to build this franchise in their image, and it all starts with free agency and the draft. The last few years, Drew (@DrewfromJersey) and I have teamed up to mock our New York Jets loving hearts out. Last year we had us picking ODB in the 1st, and was met with a lot of negative feedback. I think we know how that has turned out. Maybe we will get more love this time around.

Round 1

Dante Fowler Jr., OLB, Florida

6'3" - 265 Pounds - 4.68 40

One thing we haven't had in a very long time is a dynamic pass rusher that other teams need to account for, or they will have a long day ahead of them. I know people will groan over another defensive first round pick, but Maccagnan has a history of first round pass rushers, and we absolutely need one. It came down to Amari Cooper, Brandon Scherff and Dante Fowler. There is a good deal of depth at WR, so if we don't get one in the 1st, it isn't the end of the world, plus Percy Harvin would look great in Chan Gailey's offense. Scherff fills a big need along the O-line, but Maccagnan has never gone with an O-lineman in the first. Fowler is a terror off the edge, and is very versatile. He can play a number of positions in Bowles' defense. His numbers are not a good interpretation of what a maniac he was rushing the passer.

Year Sacks QB Hurries TFL Tackles 2014 8.5 17 15 60

Round 2

Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina

6'0" - 188 Pounds - 4.45 40

Even if Harvin comes back, we should stockpile some WR talent behind him. His injury history is extensive, and needs a safety net. Enter Justin Hardy. Hardy has been very impressive for the East Carolina Pirates. His only year with 1,000 yards or less was his freshman year. He also had over 100 receptions in both of his last two years. Hardy might not be physically imposing at only 6 foot, but he has long arms, and great hand strength to pluck balls out of the air. He would make a very good complement to a receiving corps that is starting to look up.

Year Receptions Yards AVG TD 2014 121 1494 12.34 10

Round 3

Daryl Williams, OT, Oklahoma

6'6" - 329 Pounds - 5.36 40

I have not forgotten about our beleaguered O-line. Even though we have Breno Giacomini coming back next year, I can't think of a single person who thinks he is our savior at RT. D'Brickashaw Ferguson is also getting older, and has been declining for a little now. Replacements or competition needs to be brought in. In the meantime, Daryl Williams can challenge Breno right away for that starting RT spot. Williams has had a very good year for the Sooners. This was highlighted by an amazing game against Shawn Oakman. Williams is one guy that was not intimidated by the meme sensation.

Round 4

Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (Ohio)

6'0" - 180 Pounds - 4.53 40

One of our saddest positions is CB. There is no need for me to go into great detail about how bad our CBs were. This is a position that needs to be aggressively pursued in the offseason. I am talking about a top flight free agent signing and a draft pick or two. I don't want to put all of my eggs in the Dee Milliner/Dexter McDougle basket. Quinten Rollins is one of my favorite CB prospects coming out this year. His small school status, along with his limited time as a college football player (1 year) will keep Rollins relatively low on draft boards. He is almost certain to climb higher as the draft approaches. For now, the 4th round is an appropriate place for him. Rollins is a tremendous talent that will only grow as a player under Bowles.

Year Tackles INT PD TFL 2014 72 7 9 4

Round 5

Jake Ryan, ILB/OLB, Michigan

6'3" - 236 Pounds - 4.70 40

We have a severe deficiency in our LBing corps. Other than Demario Davis, there isn't really anyone else that really belongs back there. Quinton Coples has shown he is capable, but we are doing him a great disservice taking him away from the D-line. David Harris will be hitting free agency, and might not be coming back. We need to retool here desperately. Jake Ryan is a very talented LBer. He is one year removed from an ACL tear in 2013, and looked a lot like his 2012 self in 2014. He can play a number of LBer positions, which is exactly what we need.

Round 7

Adrian Amos, FS, Penn State

6'0" - 215 Pounds - 4.60 40

It should be no surprise that I am going back to the secondary here. Sure it's the 7th round, but we can still find some possible  gems here. Calvin Pryor struggled a big in his rookie year. I think a lot of that has to do with playing out of position. A FS needs to be brought in to hang back and hunt. This would allow Pryor to play closer to the line, and be a menace. Amos has a very good year for Penn State. He finished the year with 3 interceptions and 7 passes broken up.

Year Tackles TFL INT PD 2014 42 2.5 3 7

Archived