Bowles Named Assistant Coach Of The Year

DaBallhawk

Congrats to our new headcoach. Well deserved I'd say after the magnificent job he's done over there in Arizona. And Buffalo gets the headcoach of the year in Rex Ryan. Everybody gets what they deserve I guess.

PFWA Presents Award to Jets' New Head Coach for His Work as Arizona's D-Coordinator

It’s been a big week for new Jets head coach Todd Bowles.

Bowles today was named Assistant Coach of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America for his work as Arizona's defensive coordinator in 2014, becoming the first Cardinals assistant to win the award since its inception in 1993.

Bowles was instrumental in leading a defense that was able to overcome injuries, a suspension and the departure of four starters from their 2013 front seven and improve to fifth in scoring defense this season. The Cardinals also had 25 total takeaways (18 interceptions, 7 fumble recoveries), leading to a plus-8 turnover margin, the fifth best mark in the NFL.

Despite defensive players missing 61 total games this season, Arizona remained tough, especially in the red zone, holding opponents to a third-best 43.9% touchdown percentage.

“He doesn’t do a lot of yelling and screaming like a typical coach,” Cardinals defensive end Frostee Rucker said during the season on azcardinals.com. “He’s an educator. They always say it trickles down, and the captain, the quarterback of our defense, is Todd. He can dial the game up and make sure we are technically sound, and before you know it, we’re right where we need to be.”

Two Cardinals defensive players picked up PFWA honors, with S Deone Bucannon being named to the All-Rookie Team and DE Calais Campbell being named to the All-NFC Team. Despite those defensive injuries, the unit helped carry the Cardinals to an 11-5 season and a playoff berth after they lost QBs Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton to injuries. Known for his ability to make second-half adjustments, Bowles’ defense pitched four second-half shutouts in 2014 and earned praise from one of the game’s best defenders. “You’re the best D-coordinator I’ve seen,” Seahawks CB Richard Sherman said to Bowles during a postgame handshake after a Seahawks win, as caught by KNXV-TV in Phoenix. Sherman knows a thing or two about defense, having been a part of the game’s No. 1-ranked unit over the last two seasons.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Todd-Bowles-Named-Assistant-Coach-of-the-Year/cf16244c-c536-4f6a-b928-ab911b59efbe?campaign=tw

Suck on that Mike Westhoff!

“At the end of the year, as a coach, the one thing that I was a little disappointed with was watching them as they moved toward the playoffs, people ran the ball very successfully against Arizona,” Westhoff said. “To be honest with you, I didn’t think he adjusted very well. It will be very interesting. Is this a flaw? We’re going to find out because he has some adjustments to make.”…and how his offense is put together and handled.

“At the end of the year, as a coach, the one thing that I was a little disappointed with was watching them as they moved toward the playoffs, people ran the ball very successfully against Arizona,” Westhoff said. “To be honest with you, I didn’t think he adjusted very well. It will be very interesting. Is this a flaw? We’re going to find out because he has some adjustments to make.”…and how his offense is put together and handled.

What does it have to do with Mike's assessment?

The Cardinals defense was ranked #24 in the league despite having Peterson, Cro and Radshad Johnson in the backfield.  It is not not mediocre that is bad in any book, 260 passing 110 rushing per game.  I though Mangini's defense was bad because he made every QB look like Joe Montana throwing for 300 yards every game and his defense was ranked #16 in his final year.

So Mike has a point even if you don't like it.  

What does it have to do with Mike's assessment?

The Cardinals defense was ranked #24 in the league despite having Peterson, Cro and Radshad Johnson in the backfield.  It is not not mediocre that is bad in any book, 260 passing 110 rushing per game.  I though Mangini's defense was bad because he made every QB look like Joe Montana throwing for 300 yards every game and his defense was ranked #16 in his final year.

So Mike has a point even if you don't like it.  

Hmmm what about points allowed which determines the true effectiveness of a defense...They were 5th in the league by the way.....  that means they were pretty good...

Hmmm what about points allowed which determines the true effectiveness of a defense...They were 5th in the league by the way.....  that means they were pretty good...

Exactly...that total yards is a stat Rex loved to push as he continued to tell us all our great his defense was, while they kept losing ...

I love that comment from Sherman too.....I'm sure emotions were running high, and when a team competes well against you but you still win, it's common to give out the compliments.

Remember after the 2004 Divisional game in Pittsburgh? Cowher said after that Dwayne Robertson was the best defensive tackle they played and David Barrett was the best corner they played as well.....obviously they weren't the best in the league, but they earned praise from the opponent after the game. I'm sure Sherman is happy with Quinn (while he's still there) but it's still a very big compliment despite when it was given.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

PFWA Presents Award to Jets' New Head Coach for His Work as Arizona's D-Coordinator

It’s been a big week for new Jets head coach Todd Bowles.

Bowles today was named Assistant Coach of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America for his work as Arizona's defensive coordinator in 2014, becoming the first Cardinals assistant to win the award since its inception in 1993.

Bowles was instrumental in leading a defense that was able to overcome injuries, a suspension and the departure of four starters from their 2013 front seven and improve to fifth in scoring defense this season. The Cardinals also had 25 total takeaways (18 interceptions, 7 fumble recoveries), leading to a plus-8 turnover margin, the fifth best mark in the NFL.

Despite defensive players missing 61 total games this season, Arizona remained tough, especially in the red zone, holding opponents to a third-best 43.9% touchdown percentage.

“He doesn’t do a lot of yelling and screaming like a typical coach,” Cardinals defensive end Frostee Rucker said during the season on azcardinals.com. “He’s an educator. They always say it trickles down, and the captain, the quarterback of our defense, is Todd. He can dial the game up and make sure we are technically sound, and before you know it, we’re right where we need to be.”

Two Cardinals defensive players picked up PFWA honors, with S Deone Bucannon being named to the All-Rookie Team and DE Calais Campbell being named to the All-NFC Team. Despite those defensive injuries, the unit helped carry the Cardinals to an 11-5 season and a playoff berth after they lost QBs Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton to injuries. Known for his ability to make second-half adjustments, Bowles’ defense pitched four second-half shutouts in 2014 and earned praise from one of the game’s best defenders. “You’re the best D-coordinator I’ve seen,” Seahawks CB Richard Sherman said to Bowles during a postgame handshake after a Seahawks win, as caught by KNXV-TV in Phoenix. Sherman knows a thing or two about defense, having been a part of the game’s No. 1-ranked unit over the last two seasons.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Todd-Bowles-Named-Assistant-Coach-of-the-Year/cf16244c-c536-4f6a-b928-ab911b59efbe?campaign=tw

Uhhh why isn't this statement getting any more press?  Richard Sherman plays for the Seahawks whose D-Coordinator is Dan Quinn...I cannot believe people aren't talking about this.

• 3 years later...
On 1/15/2015 at 6:41 PM, 32EBoozer said:

welp

Archived