Bowles Picks Gailey to Run Offense, Develop Smith

JetNation

I for one have never liked geno, but I will give the new staff some time to make a decision by the time preseason rolls around and they get a good look at him it will be apparent that they can't start him, hopefully we bring in another qb to push him , I won't mind us signing a jake locker or a Fitzpatrick

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really don't know that. Rex had NOBODY on his staff to actually develop a quarterback. If they bring in the right QB coach who can actually teach the skills needed to play in the NFL, he could become a decent QB. 

in this case, false hope is worse than no hope at all. The Jets need to cut bait. 

Better vet FAs than G-No....

Too long a list to type in

Just about every backup, most #3s, 90% of those in the CFL and Arena, and 5-10K who played QB in college, were never drafted and are out of football

Eh no.

I don't care if clueless JN posters think Matt Moore is the NFL's best kept secret and somehow can't start anywhere.

in this case, false hope is worse than no hope at all. The Jets need to cut bait.

I'm not sure why this is up for debate. Geno's ceiling as even a back-up is sh*t. He's also an idiot who embarrassed himself several times off the field this past year. Nothing to gain by keeping him on the roster except giving Mehta fuel for the fire in the event of the new starter underperforming.

I think the author was taking some creative license. There's no way in the world we're not adding another option (or two) at QB.

This...I think Smith stays because of his age/cap number/experience  but they'll definitely be adding a QB. 

The most important decision a defensive-minded head coach can make is selecting an offensive coordinator. Todd Bowles has decided to ride with Chan Gailey. 

On the surface, it's a curious choice for the New York Jets. Bowles never has worked with Gailey, 63, who went off the radar after sitting out the past two seasons. His last job was coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012, so the initial thought is that Bowles is dusting off an antique.

But, after digging a little deeper, a different picture emerges. Gailey is described as a flexible coach who knows how to maximize modest talent. Consider:

• [+] Enlargenfl_a_gailey_ps_300x200.jpg
    AP Photo/Gary WiepertChan Gailey, 63, has spent the past two seasons out of the NFL after coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012.
    In 10 seasons as a coordinator and head coach, Gailey presided over only two top-10 offenses -- the 1997 Pittsburgh Steelers and 1998 Dallas Cowboys. That would seem to be a red flag, but check out the quarterbacks he's had: Ryan FitzpatrickTyler Thigpen. Jay Fiedler. Kordell Stewart. Mike Tomczak. Except for a two-year run with Troy Aikman, who was at the tail end of his Hall of Fame career, Gailey hasn't worked with any elite quarterbacks. Nevertheless, his offense was good enough to make the playoffs in six of the first 10 seasons. He had no shot in Buffalo (2010-12) because he had the worst defense in the league.
  • Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher swears by Gailey, and the thing he likes most about his former coordinator is that he's flexible. Said Cowher: "He's not married to a system. The one thing I like about Chan is he tries to stay unpredictable." Gailey operated a run-oriented attack with the Steelers. When he coached the Bills, he did a 180-degree turn, employing a spread passing attack that featured short, quick throws out of a one-back set. His pass-run ratio during that three-year stretch was 58-42.
  • A spread passing attack could be good for Geno Smith, who thrived in West Virginia's Air Raid attack. Obviously, systems aren't identical, but it could put Smith back into a comfort zone. Cowher suggested that Smith might have been overwhelmed by Marty Mornhinweg's complicated offense, saying, "They did a lot of different things, and it's almost one of those things where I think sometimes less is better. I think sometimes you try to do too much, too many different things. You become OK at all of it, but not really good in any one thing." Interesting take.
  • The recurring theme among people who talk about Gailey is that he adapts his scheme to suit the personnel. On that note, Cowher said he wouldn't be surprised if Gailey continues to feature the running game. After all, that's what the Jets do best. Said Cowher: "You don't have to go full-fledged into a wide-open spread offense. Let it continue to grow with the quarterback. Continue to utilize the strengths you have on the team. I don't think they're that far away."
  • The concern with Gailey is that he hasn't been in the league for two years, which means he's not as familiar with the personnel as he needs to be. He has a lot of catching up to do.
  • The Jets will look to add a veteran quarterback, and the obvious choice is Fitzpatrick -- assuming the Houston Texans are willing to let him go. He ran Gailey's spread offense in Buffalo, and he ran it well enough to land a six-year, $60 million contract. Fitzpatrick spiraled after signing the big deal, but he showed last season he's still a functional quarterback. Remember, too, that new general manager Mike Maccagnan, a former Texans executive, is familiar with him.
  • Another player to watch in the offseason is Bills running back C.J. Spiller, who will be a free agent. Under Gailey, he rushed for 1,244 yards in 2012, ripping apart defenses that were stretched thin by the three- and four-receiver packages. The Jets probably will release Chris Johnson, so they could be looking for a speed back to pair with power back Chris Ivory.

Fred Jackson talks up ‘creative’ Chan Gailey as new Jets coach Todd Bowles is expected to make veteran coach Gang Green’s offensive coordinator  Gailey, the Bills head coach from 2010-2012, has been out of football for the past two seasons and three of the past six, leaving many to wonder how effective he'll be for the Jets.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 5:15 PM
Updated: Thursday, January 15, 2015, 12:37 AM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

SHARE THIS URL
bills-gailey-fired-football.jpgGARY WIEPERT/APChan Gailey spends three seasons as the Bills head coach.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Bills running back Fred Jackson made it clear that the Jets will be in good hands with Chan Gailey, who is expected to be new head coach Todd Bowles’ offensive coordinator.

Gailey, the Bills head coach from 2010-2012, has been out of football for the past two seasons and three of the past six, leaving many to wonder how effective he’ll be for the Jets.

“He was attacking,” Jackson told the Daily News on Wednesday. “He found a weakness in defenses and tried to exploit it. Whatever matchup he found, he went back to it. He wasn’t afraid to go back to it throughout the game. I think that’s one of the reasons we had some success.”

Jackson and C.J. Spiller combined for 1,681 rushing yards in 2012 before Gailey was fired. Spiller hasn’t been the same since.

“He puts guys in different places to make plays,” Jackson said. “He was creative. That was one of the reasons C.J. and I thrived in that system. He knew how to create ways for us to get in space.”

jets-bills-football.jpgDUANE BURLESON/APFred Jackson has two of his best seasons — 927 yards and 934 yards — under Chan Gailey in 2010 and 2011.

The Bills were hardly statistical giants under Gailey, whose offenses ranked 25th, 14th and 19th in three seasons. Spiller’s career year in 2012 helped Buffalo finish sixth in rushing. The Bills went 4-12, 6-10 and 6-10 before Gailey was fired. Buffalo’s passing offenses finished 24th, 15th and 25th.

Gailey, 63, was 16-32 in five seasons as a head coach with the Cowboys and Bills. His many NFL stops also include Denver, Pittsburgh, Miami and Kansas City. His age didn't stop him from relating to younger players.

"It took a while for him to figure guys out," Jackson said. "Once he did, he was the guy that you could go to. His door was open. He was a guy that guys loved to play for. He'll be a good fit in New York."

I think if Geno has a coach to will hold him accountable for his mistakes instead of coddling him like Rex did, he will be a much better quarterback.

harvin, who I don't think is worth $10 million plus per year.

I think Macc needs to make signing Bryan Bulaga a priority. Get rid of Winters or and/or Breno, and possibly Percy . The Jets have the cap room.

I think if Geno has a coach to will hold him accountable for his mistakes instead of coddling him like Rex did, he will be a much better quarterback.

I think Macc needs to make signing Bryan Bulaga a priority. Get rid of Winters or and/or Breno, and possibly Percy . The Jets have the cap room.

I don't think Rex coddled him. This was a management decision to treat him like he was yje #1 pick in the draft.  Rex probably wanted Vick starting from the beginning  

If I may,

1 while Geno made most of us wish for buttfumble at times this year there were positives. I think it can't be stressed enough how bad the O line play at times this year. Combine that with the speed of the pro game still awing Geno and you got those head banging reads and throws from Geno.

Yet when given the time to see the whole field and not dumb enough to stare down his receivers, Geno look pretty damn good.

So for me, as much as I cursed him at times, there is still hope. The kid has a hell of an arm and can make all the throws. It's what going on between the ears that needs to catch up. Maybe a simplified system will for that to happen. This along with better protecting him will showing better results. Yet it will be year 3 for Geno, if he does not produce clear improved results, his days as a starter for any team may be done.

So my thoughts like many here is to bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick who knows Chan's system and is somewhat familiar with the division and has had success with Chan.

Then in training camp have an honest competition with the best man starting and the runner up as a backup.

In the draft use a pick on another young prospect who can be developed over a two year cycle, unless they feel that Matt Simms is ready to challenge for the backup role.

Take a receiver and O lineman with pick 1 and 2.

Cut Harvin.  Sign a more prototypical WR like Crabtree who will also be cheaper.

Offense - Sign Iupati, draft Sherff in rd 1 instead of another mediocre DB,  sign an actual blocking tight end like Matt Spaeth, trade a middle round pick for Mike Glennon.  Sign Spiller but I prefer Marshawn Lynch after Seattle cuts him.

Defense - switch to 4-3, sign a couple young OLB's like Rey Maululagu, Sam Acho, sign Chris Culliver and Devin McCourty.  Resign Snacks.

Offense:

QB: Glennon

RB: Lynch/Ivory

LT: Brick

LG: Iupati

C: Mangold

RG: Sherff

RT: Giacomini

TE: Amaro/Spaeth

WR: Decker

WR: Crabtree

WR: Kerley

DE: Coples

DT: Wilk

DT: Richardson

DE: Babin

OLB: Malulagu

ILB: Davis

OLB: Acho

CB: Culliver

CB: Milliner/McDougle

FS: McCourty

SS: Allen

I'm not sure why this is up for debate. Geno's ceiling as even a back-up is sh*t. He's also an idiot who embarrassed himself several times off the field this past year. Nothing to gain by keeping him on the roster except giving Mehta fuel for the fire in the event of the new starter underperforming.

The smart move is to get rid of Geno because no player represents the Idzik era more than him and Geno is awful on and off the field.

But I dont think that move will happen until much later. They sign Fitz and draft a QB? Then Geno is gone.

Geno Smith is not going to get better. I don't care if Bill Walsh himself shows up. 

I think when the guy is the only QB this season to have a perfect QBR of 156, there may be a little hope. Rex ruins QBs..ask Sanchez. Not even Manning, Brady or Rodgers had a 156 rating.

The smart move is to get rid of Geno because no player represents the Idzik era more than him and Geno is awful on and off the field.

But I dont think that move will happen until much later. They sign Fitz and draft a QB? Then Geno is gone.

I disagree, CJ represents the Idzik error best. Powell is twice the back.

If you're gonna clean house, then make it a complete sweeping. Until Geno is gone, this house cleaning is incomplete. 

I don't think Rex coddled him. This was a management decision to treat him like he was yje #1 pick in the draft.  Rex probably wanted Vick starting from the beginning  

Vick was significantly worse than Geno so stupid idiot Rex may have wanted that. Actually the truth is had Rex just not continuously fuucked with the offense Geno might have had a good year.

BS, all that was needed was Rex gone. Now we get to see what Geno can do.

Yes we will see what we have seen. And you will get to see what you have been blind to see. Mind boggling how so many fans on this board think this has been is an NFL QB.   SMH. 

Whoever we bring in will win the QB competition. Problem solved. It's not about "instant gratification". It's a simple recognition that the guy doesn't have it, just like Sanchez. Remember when we tried to be patient with that guy? Yeah.

Good enough to give you hope, never good enough to win a title. QB's need to at least have the ABILITY to elevate their play when the postseason comes around. Sort of like Flacco. He's usually a B or B- QB during the regular season. But he's put up A performances in the playoffs time and again. Smith can't do that.

Technically that's your opinion, not fact. Since smith never has been there & he plays good in December. Lol

And flaccos not any different in the playoffs then the season. His team elevates causing him to look better. A qb's ceiling is as high as his teams, Smith's team sucks!

Yes we will see what we have seen. And you will get to see what you have been blind to see. Mind boggling how so many fans on this board think this has been is an NFL QB.   SMH. 

Kinda baffled what you are saying. I think you are saying Geno would suck no matter what, and if that is so I do not agree on any level. Geno has very very good skills, and has been crippled by Rex's insistence on rhythm killing wildcat, failing to let Geno build chemistry by blitzing incessantly in camp so his defense "wins", turtling the offense so that Geno has to deal with horrible down and distance situations consistently. and not letting Geno play. Funny thing is, that when Rex knew it was finally over, MM was allowed to truly run his offence for a game, and Geno was perfect. Also, after the benching, maybe the best thing Rex did for Geno, he was MUCH improved on protecting the ball. Geno with a new staff, and an offense tailored to his strengths, which Bowles and Gailey WILL do, has a real chance for a breakout season in my opinion. But Geno is one of the hated so people will be blind to that.

Archived