NFL will hold veteran free agent combine in March

Jet9

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459232/article/nfl-will-hold-veteran-free-agent-combine-in-march

apitalizing on every team's desire not to see good players fall through the cracks, the league will introduce a veteran combine set to begin this March in Arizona.

In a memo sent out by NFL director of football development Matt Birk, obtained by NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, the venture will "serve to isolate and consolidate veteran free-agent talent for more focused evaluation on a comparative basis."

In the past, veteran free agents were welcome at regional combines, another initiative created as a failsafe for potential NFL talent. However, this year, at the end of March just prior to league meetings, roughly 100 veteran free agents will be chosen through the application process to work out in front of representatives from all 32 teams.

At first blush, this could be a valuable avenue for players who were discarded quickly or toiled in training camp at a deep position. No matter how well-stocked a team's personnel department is, it's impossible to keep an eye on every eligible player cycling through the system.

On second thought, with the existence of plenty high-profile big name free agents out there looking for re-entry, or simply a re-introduction into the public eye, the league will need to be careful it doesn't turn into a reality show.

Perhaps that's what the application process and limited number of accepted players are for.

Milking that NFL brand

For sure.

Still, this is way better than a team in London, pink uniforms (not that I don't support breast cancer awareness, but because it's so forced and contrived it's not even funny), et al. 

For sure.

Still, this is way better than a team in London, pink uniforms (not that I don't support breast cancer awareness, but because it's so forced and contrived it's not even funny), et al.

Can't argue there man

Great. John Idzik gets fired and THEN they put together the annual John Idzik Free Agent Camp.

I swear the league is always trying to keep the Jets down.

Are you saying that we're going to be seeing Idzik running the 20-yard shuttle and taking the Cybex test in two months?

Actually, it's probably the best shot he has at working in the NFL again at this point.

He was actually the first one I thought off

Yeah, I think this is a great thing for players that have been given injury settlements that want/need a last chance. It's sort of like the way Hard Knocks always take a couple of guys that are on the roster bubble to focus on, longshots and underdogs are are easy to root for.

Archived