Spiller: Me and Jets would "be a perfect match"

Gastineau Lives

Lets just pretend that you're correct (which, imo, you're not) and say that Chris Johnson =CJ Spiller.....why don't we at least cut Johnson (thereby saving some money) and get the "equally valuable" runningback in CJ Spiller who has less miles on him and doesn't bitch about not getting carries. To summarize:

LOSING:

-RB who Bitches about carries

GAINING:

-Cap Space

-"Equally" Talented RB with less mileage

What the hell is the problem?

That and he has a great work ethic and attitude. Chris Johnson just got arrested lmao. Spiller would be a great addition to the new regime

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets just pretend that you're correct (which, imo, you're not) and say that Chris Johnson =CJ Spiller.....why don't we at least cut Johnson (thereby saving some money) and get the "equally valuable" runningback in CJ Spiller who has less miles on him and doesn't bitch about not getting carries.  To summarize:

LOSING:

-RB who Bitches about carries

GAINING:

-Cap Space

-"Equally" Talented RB with less mileage

What the hell is the problem?

Not a fan of Johnson either, but he's a better player than Spiller.

All we've learned about Gailey this week is that he can squeeze good play out of sh*tty players, which is what he did with Spiller.

Spiller isn't sh*tty.  He was used horribly after Gailey left.  He wasn't worth the top 10 pick coming out of school but his talent is undeniably good.  Spiller was the centerpiece of the Gailey era in Buffalo, not just a complimentary player.  Pairing him with Ivory would allow us added flexibility in the draft where we ordinarily use up a mid-rounder every year on some JAG RB.

Spiller isn't sh*tty.  He was used horribly after Gailey left.  He wasn't worth the top 10 pick coming out of school but his talent is undeniably good.  Spiller was the centerpiece of the Gailey era in Buffalo, not just a complimentary player.  Pairing him with Ivory would allow us added flexibility in the draft where we ordinarily use up a mid-rounder every year on some JAG RB.

I think Spiller and Ivory would make a good combo to pair up with.

Not a fan of Johnson either, but he's a better player than Spiller.

We literally watched Chris Johnson not "burst" through a hole the entire season.  Is he great in open space?  Absolutely....but you're lying to yourself if you think he played well this year.  Spiller is at least a buy low option which really shouldn't cost more than 3mil.  With the added bonus of pairing him back with the only coach who got something out of him I don't really see how you don't take a chance on finding yourself a valuable check down back for chump change.  Newsflash guys, we aren't winning the superbowl next year (although I'd LOVE to be wrong!)...rather than keeping the old depreciating/used up CJ2YPC why not try and find a diamond in the rough with Spiller....these are the kinds of moves we need to try and make: Aging veterans who play no better than average need to be moved off this goddamn team immediately.

No more Willie Colon and his holding penalties

No more Calvin Pace starting (and doing a decent job!)

No more Chris Johnson

We need some upside guys and Spiller is exactly that

Chris Johnson is a speedback that relies on speed he no longer has.  That makes him worthless.

Spiller was used horribly in 2013 under Marrone and still went for 4.6 ypc.  Under Gailey just 2 years ago he had 1,703 total yards, 6.0 ypc and 10.7 yards per catch, with 8 TD's. 

No one is saying he'll recapture his 2012 form.  What we are saying is, at 28, he's definitely worth a look.  All depends on the price. 

Spiller underutilized he is a young 28 he has 3-4 productive years left

Yep...he's been dinged up but had a light workload due to RBBC in Buffalo.  I'd have no problem with the Jets giving him a three year deal.

Chris Johnson is a speedback that relies on speed he no longer has.  That makes him worthless.

Spiller was used horribly in 2013 under Marrone and still went for 4.6 ypc.  Under Gailey just 2 years ago he had 1,703 total yards, 6.0 ypc and 10.7 yards per catch, with 8 TD's. 

No one is saying he'll recapture his 2012 form.  What we are saying is, at 28, he's definitely worth a look.  All depends on the price. 

Gotta be 4mil at the absolute most right?  

sh*tty RBs get hurt all the time. So, he's sh*tty. Talent doesn't mean sh*t when you're riding the bike. Spend the money on an experienced corner, and draft a you stud RB. 

sh*tty RBs get hurt all the time. So, he's sh*tty. Talent doesn't mean sh*t when you're riding the bike. Spend the money on an experienced corner, and draft a you stud RB. 

He missed 2 games last year, 3 in his career.  What are you talking about?  The issue was him only being given 74 carries on the season and catching 24 passes.  Under Gailey he had 207 attempts and 43 catches in 2012. 

We have a lot of coin to play with.  Spiller likely won't be super expensive.  We can spend big on a corner AND get Spiller.

And what stud RB are we going to draft in the mid-rounds?

It depends on what he wants. He's got talent but is injured a lot and is at the end of hid career. Him and ivory would be a nice combo.

The bold.

Only Jets fans cry that they want the team to get better, then advocate signing a 27 year old RB to veteran money, who can't stay healthy and won't play much more than 2 more years. I get that he had a good year with Chan, but the whole point of the zone blocking scheme is to make mediocre RBs better... so if you draft a top tier RB, you get a rookie deal, you get fresh legs and more talent, and potential more career and better health. 

If Spiller was LT at the end of his career, then maybe there's a point to this. He's not.

The bold.

Only Jets fans cry that they want the team to get better, then advocate signing a 27 year old RB to veteran money, who can't stay healthy and won't play much more than 2 more years. I get that he had a good year with Chan, but the whole point of the zone blocking scheme is to make mediocre RBs better... so if you draft a top tier RB, you get a rookie deal, you get fresh legs and more talent, and potential more career and better health. 

If Spiller was LT at the end of his career, then maybe there's a point to this. He's not.

How about making a good RB great, like Chan did?  lol.

Chan has a zone blocking scheme but he also likes getting players out in space.  He's not a 1-trick pony.

He missed 2 games last year, 3 in his career.  What are you talking about?

We have a lot of coin to play with.  Spiller likely won't be super expensive.  We can spend big on a corner AND get Spiller.

And what stud RB are we going to draft in the mid-rounds?

I said trade down and take Gordon. I didn't say mid-rounds. Trading down from 6 to 12-18 could get us another 2nd rounder. Gordon, and two 2nd rounders. I like.

Spiller? You can keep him. Rookie RB is the best ROI in all of football... you get their best years, for their cheapest contract, and you don't have to use high first rounders on them. Insane not to use the draft as primary funnel for RB talent.

How about making a good RB great, like Chan did?  lol.

Chan has a zone blocking scheme but he also likes getting players out in space.  He's not a 1-trick pony.

Okay, Chan expert.

All I'm saying is rather than fawning over Spiller for a veteran contract, in a scenario where Chan made a mediocre player look good. Draft a stud, and let Chan make him our take the game over, destroy our opponent monster.

I said trade down and take Gordon. I didn't say mid-rounds. Trading down from 6 to 12-18 could get us another 2nd rounder. Gordon, and two 2nd rounders. I like.

Spiller? You can keep him. Rookie RB is the best ROI in all of football... you get their best years, for their cheapest contract, and you don't have to use high first rounders on them. Insane not to use the draft as primary funnel for RB talent.

I agree that primarily RB's should be acquired via the draft, but I don't agree with taking them in the 1st round.  You'd have to get a real special talent to justify that.

I agree that primarily RB's should be acquired via the draft, but I don't agree with taking them in the 1st round.  You'd have to get a real special talent to justify that.

That's fine. If Gordon, for instance, can be had in the 2nd, I'd do it. Leveon Bell. I still think trading down and ending up with a mid-first and 2 seconds would be nice.

We have Balil that's in the same moled. Spiller is good do get me wrong. This off season will be interesring. Its anew regime, and a lot of intrigue. We just need to hope for the best. My thing about thus time, just be competitive, and hopefully you will learn how to win.....

We have Balil that's in the same moled. Spiller is good do get me wrong. This off season will be interesring. Its anew regime, and a lot of intrigue. We just need to hope for the best. My thing about thus time, just be competitive, and hopefully you will learn how to win.....

As it so often does, it comes down to the money; if we can get him on the "cheap", I am all for it but I don't want to pull a Idzik and pinch pennies, either.  If he really wants to play for Chan and the Jets maybe we can get him at a reasonable price.  

Him and Crabtree are my top Free Agents. Will be cheap and are still young. Were very successful and can be very successful in new systems. Mid tier free agents with upside should be the goal . 

Spiller is going to go somewhere and blow up next year and even more people will hate buffalo for mis-using him.  He would totally explode in NE, NO, or Philly. 

There is absolutely nothing that would make me want a guy who is injury prone and fumbles all the time on this team... Especially at 3 million a year, which is what his FA salary is projected at. 5 fumbles on lees than 80 carries his rookie year. "Yeah, but he was a rookie". 3 fumbles on 78 carries in 2014.

One year at about 2 million and I'm in. But other teams will offer more. Waste of space. I personally love what I've seen from Powell. CJ only got in the way this year. If we wouldn't have signed him it would have been Ivory and Powell all year, and we would have been better in our running game as far as I'm concerned.

I also like Richardson on our practice squad. I really hope we go Ito camp with Ivory, Powell and Richadson as well as a rookie draft pick. Not sure who yet.

Powell and Spiller are similar in that they are both running backs and that's about it.

Archived