Spiller: Me and Jets would "be a perfect match"

Gastineau Lives

He is a phenomenal running back. If it wasn't for the injuries, we would be looking at him the same way we look at guys like Jamaal Charles.

Worth a gamble

I agree - every time he's on the field, he's pretty amazing. He's better than Bush and other guys of that genre. We haven't had a breakaway threat like that since Leon Washington, who wasn't an everyday rb anyway. Spiller is   - it's all a matter of health. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Compared to his production, Pro Bowl running back DeMarco Murray is expected to get a modest contract offer from the Dallas Cowboys. Murray led the NFL with 1,845 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns last season, but it's unlikely he will break the bank in Dallas.

With that in mind, how much is tailback C.J. Spiller worth to the Buffalo Bills?

[+] Enlargenfl_g_spiller11_300x200.jpg
Vaughn Ridley/Getty ImagesC.J. Spiller is not a great fit for the power-running offense the Bills are expected to use next season.

Buffalo's former first-round pick is an unrestricted free agent coming off an injury-plagued season in which he rushed for just 300 yards on 74 carries. Spiller tied a career low with 3.8 yards per carry, and didn't score a single rushing touchdown in nine games. Still, the Bills intend to make a push to bring Spiller back next season.

Spiller had his best years in 2012 and 2013, when he rushed for a combined 2,177 yards and 10 total touchdowns. Those will be the seasons Spiller's representation points to when negotiating his value.

However, Buffalo has the market in its favor. Running backs are one of the NFL's most disposable commodities. Last year's top free-agent tailbacks -- Ben Tate (two years, $6.2 million), Maurice Jones-Drew (three years, $7.5 million), Darren McFadden (one year, $4 million) and Knowshon Moreno (one year, $3 million) -- all received team-friendly contracts.

Spiller most likely will get an offer in the range of these aforementioned players, who average between $2.5 million and $4 million per season. Also, expect the Bills to keep an eye on the situation with the Cowboys, who will set the top of this year's tailback market with Murray.

The Bills should be careful not to overpay for Spiller. With new head coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Greg Roman, Buffalo will be a power-running team in 2015. That doesn't necessarily fit Spiller's strengths. Therefore, paying Spiller top money wouldn't make a lot of sense, especially since Buffalo has other needs to address this offseason.

The franchise tag is projected to be about $11 million for running backs in 2015. So that option is out for Spiller. Soon-to-be-former Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson is the highest-paid player at his position with an average salary of $9 million per year. But those paydays for running backs appear to be in the rearview mirror.

The Bills-Spiller situation will be another interesting case study for free-agent running backs. Look for Buffalo to make a push for Spiller, but only within reason.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5566/cj-spiller

Impending free agent C.J. Spiller said he and the Jets "would be a perfect match."

"I’d be foolish not to have those guys on my list," said Spiller. "I had my best years in the league with [new Jets OC Chan Gailey]. So it’d be dumb not to give it serious thought." We agree with Spiller's assessment. The Jets should have an easy call to release Chris Johnson, and if they want to re-invest that money into another speed complement to Chris Ivory, then Spiller would be the perfect fit. Under Gailey in 2012, Spiller totaled 1,703 yards and eight touchdowns on 250 touches.

Make it happen, Tanny.

I'll sayagain NO. THANK YOU!

And I hope Tanny does make it happen, sign him in Miami with the other failed 1st rounders like Moreno

The bold.

Only Jets fans cry that they want the team to get better, then advocate signing a 27 year old RB to veteran money, who can't stay healthy and won't play much more than 2 more years. I get that he had a good year with Chan, but the whole point of the zone blocking scheme is to make mediocre RBs better... so if you draft a top tier RB, you get a rookie deal, you get fresh legs and more talent, and potential more career and better health. 

If Spiller was LT at the end of his career, then maybe there's a point to this. He's not.

Spiller isn't an LT, he doesn't have that kind of millage on his legs

At 27, he would be a great pick-up, and because of some of his injury past, he is still very much in his prime for the Jets to try for a bargain signing for an elite talent, Spiller is still that player.  He injured his shoulder last year, not his legs, and his legs are what we want.

If it was between him and Chris Johnson, I'd take him for sure.  If he's hurt, Powell fills in and will probably play solid.  I'm in love with Ivory so if it's cap friendly, I don't see why CJ would be a bad addition.  

Spiller isn't an LT, he doesn't have that kind of millage on his legs

At 27, he would be a great pick-up, and because of some of his injury past, he is still very much in his prime for the Jets to try for a bargain signing for an elite talent, Spiller is still that player.  He injured his shoulder last year, not his legs, and his legs are what we want.

Elite talents don't fade in every system except Chan Gailey's. Those are system players. So, in that regard, you are wrong.

It would be nice if Spiller signed with us and blew up. I'd still rather we draft a RB with a more complete skill set to use as teh offensive centerpiece.

Elite talents don't fade in every system except Chan Gailey's. Those are system players. So, in that regard, you are wrong.

It would be nice if Spiller signed with us and blew up. I'd still rather we draft a RB with a more complete skill set to use as teh offensive centerpiece.

I'm not wrong, to suggest he is a system talent is just stupid.  He's also played on a team that hasn't had a QB, he would be that much more effective on a team with a legit passing game.  Spiller is by far an elite talent but he is not a workhorse, he is a player who should be apart of packages, that is why he won't command huge dollars in FA, and at 27, with the little mileage he does have, if he can be had for a bargain price, it's a no brainer signing.  Save the draft picks for other needs.

I'm not wrong, to suggest he is a system talent is just stupid.  He's also played on a team that hasn't had a QB, he would be that much more effective on a team with a legit passing game.  Spiller is by far an elite talent but he is not a workhorse, he is a player who should be apart of packages, that is why he won't command huge dollars in FA, and at 27, with the little mileage he does have, if he can be had for a bargain price, it's a no brainer signing.  Save the draft picks for other needs.

Spiller only produced in Gailey's system. He's a system RB. Elite RBs produce no matter what. They also stay on the field, they aren't hurt half their career, they aren't "certain package" guys, and they can carry an offense in spite of the QB. Hell Thomas Jones wasn't even close to elite, and he did these things for us, while Spiller couldn't. 

You are wrong in calling Spiller elite.

If you want to convince yourself that he's the missing piece, go for it, but don't try and sell him as elite, and don't say I'm stupid for deferring to facts while you spin your wheels trying to create a new definition for elite.

Also, elite RBs don't get signed for "bargain prices". 

I'm okay with adding him, but again, he's not elite. Fact.

A lot of good backs in the draft. Plenty of game changing type talents in the middle rounds.

I don't doubt that at all.

But we have 40 and maybe 50 million to spend in FA, the RB position in today's NFL FA market can be had for a bargain because it is the most disposable position to replace.  Spiller is a playmaker, and was major weapon under Gailey in Buffalo, and is a better player than CJ, a 1-2 tandem with Ivory and Spiller could be lethal in the same role.

Iupati, Foles, Cooper, and Spiller in one off-season? Add a big-time signing at cornerback and this team is set.

I like it

Instead of Foles, how about Sam Bradford?  I think Bradford could hit the market, he's due 13 million in his final year, Rams could release him.

I like it

Instead of Foles, how about Sam Bradford? I think Bradford could hit the market, he's due 13 million in his final year, Rams could release him.

for him to tear his ACL on the way to the Jets facilities to sign the contract? NO. Bradford over Foles would be very stupid If we have a choice in them.

He has elite ability, he can be a game changer, all worthy additions to the team. All facts!

Adrian Peterson. Arian Foster. Leeon Bell. Jamaal Charles. CJ Spiller.

You're right, totally elite.

You haven't changed a bit over the years.

Adrian Peterson. Arian Foster. Leeon Bell. Jamaal Charles. CJ Spiller.

You're right, totally elite.

You haven't changed a bit over the years.

Stop changing the context of the post, I said he has special ability and is a game changer type of player. He's not a workhorse, of ******* course he's not Peterson!

I haven't changed? Who the **** are you?

Archived