To me, there is one choice for a coach

Stonehands

I hate to start another thread for this, but everyone is throwing out names of guys who may become good head coaches or who are in vogue as "up and comer's". People, these are the NY Jets and we play in the greatest city in the US. New head coaches should be cutting their teeth elsewhere.

When you have a head coach with 6 years of head coaching experience, a winning record, 5 straight winning seasons and 3 division titles who is unemployed, you run don't walk and hire him. If Mike Sherman were still coaching for the Packers, people would be all over trying to trade for him. He comes for free! Call him and get him and get an accomplished head coach with an established program who will bring credibility back to this franchise.

I hate to start another thread for this, but everyone is throwing out names of guys who may become good head coaches or who are in vogue as "up and comer's". People, these are the NY Jets and we play in the greatest city in the US. New head coaches should be cutting their teeth elsewhere.

When you have a head coach with 6 years of head coaching experience, a winning record, 5 straight winning seasons and 3 division titles who is unemployed, you run don't walk and hire him. If Mike Sherman were still coaching for the Packers, people would be all over trying to trade for him. He comes for free! Call him and get him and get an accomplished head coach with an established program who will bring credibility back to this franchise.

He's my pick...surround him with a quality OC and DC and let's roll.

It's not like this guy will need OJT (maybe with the NY media)...no more Herm learning on the job coaches please. Think a guy like Sherman needs a Dick Curl on the sidelines to let him know what time it is?!

While Sherman may be the most attractive of a pretty awful group of recently fired coaches, it can't be overlooked that he had the arguably the greatest quarterback of this generation during his prime. Sherman is also cut from that conservative cloth. I want a head coach that will grab the opposing team by the balls and twist, metaphorically speaking.

There are certainly more positives when evaluating Sherman than there are guys like Haslett and Tice, but he is by no means a slam dunk. A slam dunk would be Mangini or Ferentz. If anyone thinks Mike Sherman is going to outcoach Belichick or Saban anytime soon, then they got another thing comin'.

While Sherman may be the most attractive of a pretty awful group of recently fired coaches, it can't be overlooked that he had the arguably the greatest quarterback of this generation during his prime. Sherman is also cut from that conservative cloth. I want a head coach that will grab the opposing team by the balls and twist, metaphorically speaking.

There are certainly more positives when evaluating Sherman than there are guys like Haslett and Tice, but he is by no means a slam dunk. A slam dunk would be Mangini or Ferentz. If anyone thinks Mike Sherman is going to outcoach Belichick or Saban anytime soon, then they got another thing comin'.

To borrow your term..."slam dunk" would mean that Mangini or Ferentz would outcoach Belichick or Saban and that ain't happening anytime soon with those two either.

Listen, I've been a Jets fan long enough to know that whomever they pick, he won't be the choice of everyone...even Parcells wasn't rejoiced by the masses. But, in my opinion, he might have been our best shot to the promise land for a long time to come.

The other big reason I like Sherman is that his offense with GB made good use of the running game and screens while still maintaining a "down the field" aspect. It is import in the Northeast that a coach understand the role of a good running game in winning. After listening to TB's press conference, it sounds like I have a better chance of being the head coach, though. :evil:

If I were a head coach candidate, and had a shot elsewhere, I wouldn't want to come here unless they paid me a significant amount more than anyone else would. We're probably in the bottom 5 of teams that coaches would want to work for now.

Sherman.

Coached in a winterry environment. Has a winning pedigree. Knows how to use a running and passing game. Has a playoff pedigree, although he's lost a few. Is low key to the media, but i beleive that former players describe him as a guy who is as tough as nails. Does not stand for nonsense. Understands the game, and will not be bewildered by tough decisions late in a tight game.

I'll take him. And ask him to bring his buddy, Farve, along with him. :wink:

did anyone see the giants panthers game yesterday? mike sherman has never outcoached anyone in his life at that level. mangini has worked for a guy for 11 years who does that on a weekly basis.

So all of Sherman's 56 wins were due to outclassing his opponent? How can I take you seriously? It is easy to take shots at Sherman because he has actually been a HC as Mangini is just a promise of what might be.

did anyone see the giants panthers game yesterday? mike sherman has never outcoached anyone in his life at that level. mangini has worked for a guy for 11 years who does that on a weekly basis.

You have to remember, working for someone and actually going out there and getting the job done yourself is night and day.

I'm not saying this guy from the Pats is/isn't going to get the job done, but like the draft, it's a crap shoot.

So all of Sherman's 56 wins were due to outclassing his opponent? How can I take you seriously? It is easy to take shots at Sherman because he has actually been a HC as Mangini is just a promise of what might be.

i'll bet you that in about 45 of those games his had BY FAR the better QB on the field. and for the last 2 years he had one of the best running backs in the sport at well.

i'll bet you that in about 45 of those games his had BY FAR the better QB on the field. and for the last 2 years he had one of the best running backs in the sport at well.

I'll bet you that in all of Mangini's wins as DC he was coaching a team with a Super Bowl MVP QB, so what does that mean? Sherman coached Favre, so he doesn't have a brain?

Apparently the only good coaching moves are when an untalented team wins. Of course it takes coaching to make a team good, but you wouldn't want to go there.

I'll bet you that in all of Mangini's wins as DC he was coaching a team with a Super Bowl MVP QB, so what does that mean? Sherman coached Favre, so he doesn't have a brain?

Apparently the only good coaching moves are when an untalented team wins. Of course it takes coaching to make a team good, but you wouldn't want to go there.

bardy is extreamly overrated. the reason the patsys win is because of thier defense and their great coaching staff. i don't know how much of a hand mangini had in that but i know belichick had a HUGE hand in that and mangini is his protoge. nick saben and kirk ferentz are considered 2 of the best young coaches in the country and they are basicly eric mangini + 5 years.

Archived