Doug Marrone flakes out on Broncos interview

Integrity28

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/16/report-doug-marrone-cancels-interview-with-broncos/

Report: Doug Marrone cancels interview with Broncos
Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 16, 2015, 3:50 PM EST
marrone1.jpg?w=230AP

For the time being at least, Doug Marrone is no longer slated to interview for the Broncos’ head coaching job.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Marrone has called off his interview with Denver for Saturday.

The Broncos are set to interview Gary Kubiak, the Ravens’ current offensive coordinator and a former teammate and coach of Broncos General Manager Gary Kubiak. According to Schefter, Marrone wants to see how Kubiak’s candidacy plays out before meeting with Denver.

The 50-year-old Marrone opted out of his contract with the Bills shortly after the season. He will receive $4 million from Buffalo in 2015 whether he coaches or not. And now, Marrone has pulled out of an interview with one of the two NFL clubs currently without a head coach.

Is this nonsense? I thought he was a no-nonsense kinda guy.

He's a guy you want leading your football team. Disciplinarian who makes sure people have their act together.  No quit in  him either.  Can't believe Woody let Manish hire Bowles.

Marrone' loyalty must be an underlining question mark for most teams today.  Yes he legally opted out of his contract and he is collecting 4mil this year for doing nothing.  But the bigger picture is the impact of his opting out.  He basically left his entire coaching staff high and dry and on the unemployment line.  Thats not cool.  You don't opt out and leave an organization unless you have another HC position lined up.  Now his people, especially on the defensive side of the ball in Buffalo are out the door, who knows who will be kept on the offensive side.  sh*t like that does perpetuate a reputation and a dislike to want to work with a guy that is willing to do that to so many people.

Sounds like he's a pompous dick who wants it all on his terms or not at all. Hope he winds up coaching Div. II football.

Det DC Austin also canceled his Den interview. Kubiak agreed to interview. I'm guessing Marrone & Austin both know it's Kubiak's job.

Many more millions of reasons not to damage his reputation to the point of unemployable, just because he's collecting some money from Buffalo this year.

Agreed.

I think at this point Marrone has severely damaged any chance he'll ever have at being an NFL head coach again.  There's not a team out there that would hire him after he quit on the Bills, bombed his Jets interview, and then cancelled another head coach interview.  

Back to college, I guess, although I can't see any big time program handing over the reigns to him anytime soon either.  This op-out will have to go down as one of the dumbest decisions a coach has ever made.

Kubiak wasn't interviewing with any teams open HC postion because Elway told him if we lose to the Colts Fox is toast and the job will be yours.. 

That makes sense. And Kubiak is a better fit and will get that job I am sure.

That said, Marrone needs to hop his behind on a free flight and do the interview anyway. The other owners are watching. If he isn't willing to go in and convince them he is the guy, other owners will remember that.

That makes sense. And Kubiak is a better fit and will get that job I am sure.

That said, Marrone needs to hop his behind on a free flight and do the interview anyway. The other owners are watching. If he isn't willing to go in and convince them he is the guy, other owners will remember that.

He poisoned his well when he opted out thinking of just himself no owner likes that..

He poisoned his well when he opted out thinking of just himself no owner likes that..

Definitely makes financial sense to opt out if you get another high paying job. Scary to think he could actually parlay this into losing money.

Archived