New England has filed tampering chargers against the Jets

WickedAwesome

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the punishment is based on the quality of player, which is based on his contract (I might be wrong).

Considering Revis is under contract for 20M next year, that, if I'm right on this, would make this a very high end tampering charge.

1st is probably unlikely, but a 2nd isn't outside the range of possibility

So, that's a no?

I think the punishment is based on the quality of player, which is based on his contract (I might be wrong).

Considering Revis is under contract for 20M next year, that, if I'm right on this, would make this a very high end tampering charge.

1st is probably unlikely, but a 2nd isn't outside the range of possibility

Revis sucks now.  Didn't you see him get burned by Smith for a TD.  Then he almost cost the Pats* the game with 2 bad penalties, wiping out a fumble. If he makes $4M next year he found a sap.

In his world, the Pats try to renegotiate with Darrelle Revis at a lower number and Woody just ruined it.

Expressing any interest in a player under contract gives said players agent more leverge in contract negotiations.

It would be like Belichick announcing that he would be willing to pay `Insert Jets Player Here` 10M a year to come play for NE while that player is coming up on a contract year for NY

we would be foolish to think Jets might not be culpable here, Woody is so dumb, you simply don't mention other payers, much less say you want them.

This a textbook case, comparable to others in the past.

And stop with the freedom of speech crap, the NFL rules are pretty clear on this.

Expressing any interest in a player under contract gives said players agent more leverge in contract negotiations.

It would be like Belichick announcing that he would be willing to pay `Insert Jets Player Here` 10M a year to come play for NE while that player is coming up on a contract year for NY

None of this is even remotely analogous.

we would be foolish to think Jets might not be culpable here, Woody is so dumb, you simply don't mention other payers, much less say you want them.

This a textbook case, comparable to others in the past.

And stop with the freedom of speech crap, the NFL rules are pretty clear on this.

Then Ryan tampered with Sanchez. FA doesn't start till 3/10/15.

I'm just looking at past occurances

NFL strips 49ers of fifth-round draft pick for tampering

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d807625f4/article/nfl-strips-49ers-of-fifthround-draft-pick-for-tampering

Goodell also determined the teams will switch picks in the third round of the April 26-27 draft. Chicago, which had the 12th pick, will get San Francisco's seventh pick and the 49ers will get Chicago's choice.

Just one example among more than one example

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d807625f4/article/nfl-strips-49ers-of-fifthround-draft-pick-for-tampering

In the case you bring up, the team contacted the players agent.

I think you accidentally left that out of your post. But it is in the link.....

If Rex said he would love to have Sanchez on the Biils, than Philly can file grievance.

When did Woody contact his agent? There are degrees of any rule infraction. If Woody has contacted Revis's agent then I would agree with a low draft pick swap.  A slip of the tongue is something different. 

Doesn't matter. Tampering is tampering. They're not going to think about if an owner publicly saying he wants a player is worse than an agent being contacted.

He seems confident... Easy money.

Laying the odds is still easy money. You have to do it from go though. Even people who just don't get stuff have developed some limited ability to sense when the cosmos is playing another trick on them and when you're willing to move by an order of magnitude even the dimmest of bulbs starts glowing.

Doesn't matter. Tampering is tampering. They're not going to think about if an owner publicly saying he wants a player is worse than an agent being contacted.

So, if it doesn't matter, then every single case of tampering is met with a 5th round pick and a 3rd round swap because "tampering is tampering."

That is accurate, right?

Hopefully the NFL will realize that Woody was put on the spot in his firing press conference and misspoke. It was clearly Woody trying to say the right thing to the fan base and he made a mistake. Not tampering. Anyone who knows the Revis Woody relationship knows there is no way in hell that Revis ever comes back.

If i recall, Lions lost a pic because Gunther Cunningham said he wanted a player from the Chiefs.

Weren't the Jet's accussed of this before with Crabtree?

Yeah, I was going to post the Lions example but I thought one made the point sufficiently. There is an obvious and undeniable precedent for the loss of draft picks for this.

I'm basically certain the Jets are going to lose one (or some). The only real question is which

Yep, a mistake like saying something publically about a player under contract is like making a mistake and taping from the wrong spot on the field.

Neither is really a big deal at all.

Yeah because before woody said anything, the patriots had all the leverage because revis's agent thought that no one probably wanted him anyway... Now that revis's agents know another team wants him, they can play hardball in negotiations... Lol.

News flash: 32 teams in the league want revis. Revis knows it. The patriots know it.

I understand what the letter of the law says... But anything more than a fine is simply ridiculous in this circumstance. He ****ed up, but didn't affect negotiations one bit.

Archived