New England has filed tampering chargers against the Jets

WickedAwesome

Before the start of the football season, Cary Williams, a veteran cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles, reminded the sports world about a scandal the NFL would prefer people forget.

“One fact still remains: They haven’t won a Super Bowl since they got caught. They are cheaters,” Williams said in August.

He was referring to Spygate, when the New England Patriots were busted for illegally videotaping the Jets’ defensive signals during the first game of the 2007 season.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the NFL will realize that Woody was put on the spot in his firing press conference and misspoke. It was clearly Woody trying to say the right thing to the fan base and he made a mistake. Not tampering. Anyone who knows the Revis Woody relationship knows there is no way in hell that Revis ever comes back.

I don't think it matters much....then everyone can say they "misspoke."

Woody isn't a new owner and should know better. Just plain dumb.

Before the start of the football season, Cary Williams, a veteran cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles, reminded the sports world about a scandal the NFL would prefer people forget.

“One fact still remains: They haven’t won a Super Bowl since they got caught. They are cheaters,” Williams said in August.

He was referring to Spygate, when the New England Patriots were busted for illegally videotaping the Jets’ defensive signals during the first game of the 2007 season.

Cool story

Considering Revis' history of holding out for top$ and going wherever the biggest contract offer is.... I would think Goodell understands the Cheats are just trying to get SOMETHING for Revis. Goodell could also say to Kraft... if you pick up the $20 mil option I'll give your tampering charge more thought.

All the other tampering cases(as few as there are) would require teams to get into bidding war to hold onto a potential FA player leaving their team.

NE doesn't need to have that if they pick up the option yr. of his contract ( which they did only to spread out last yrs. cap hit.

Revis was a 1 yr. go for broke RENTAL

Considering Revis' history of holding out for top$ and going wherever the biggest contract offer is.... I would think Goodell understands the Cheats are just trying to get SOMETHING for Revis. Goodell could also say to Kraft... if you pick up the $20 mil option I'll give your tampering charge more thought.

All the other tampering cases(as few as there are) would require teams to get into bidding war to hold onto a potential FA player leaving their team.

NE doesn't need to have that if they pick up the option yr. of his contract ( which they did only to spread out last yrs. cap hit.

Revis was a 1 yr. go for broke RENTAL

None of this speculation matters.

Draft pick swap? Are you kidding a fine at most. Of course that POS Kraft has Goodell in his back pocket.

I don't understand why it is always mentioned that KRAFT has the commissioner by the balls. I haven't seen recently where the PAThetics are getting all the calls.  Let's see what happens today.

BTW  - F@@K the PATS !!  May a miracle happen and they lose today!

this is really silly. the statement was made in answering a question directly relating to darelle revis. most of what woody said was "I I had known and if we could have" in other words, saying that if they could have brought revis back for the price the patriots are paying this year they would have. woody didn't contact revis or his agent or in any way thwart new englands ability to negotiate with revis. revis isn't stupid, he knows there will be a market for his services if the pats don't pick up his huge option. there is no way in hell any punishment will be in the form of a significant draft pick. this wasn't really tampering.

Hopefully the NFL will realize that Woody was put on the spot in his firing press conference and misspoke. It was clearly Woody trying to say the right thing to the fan base and he made a mistake. Not tampering. Anyone who knows the Revis Woody relationship knows there is no way in hell that Revis ever comes back.

He was warned about doing this with DeSean Jackson IIRC

Once again the Jets idiot owner has no business talking about NFL matters that he doesn't understand.  The media coaxed him in and he may very well cost the team a pick.  Sure we can sit here and say its minor or a slip of the tongue but bottom line we have an idiot at the top that shouldn't be allowed to talk NFL business to the public.  Leave that to your new hires and disappear for a couple years and leave your check book in Macc Daddy's office.

I don't understand why it is always mentioned that KRAFT has the commissioner by the balls. I haven't seen recently where the PAThetics are getting all the calls.  Let's see what happens today.

BTW  - F@@K the PATS !!  May a miracle happen and they lose today!

NIIIIIIIIIICE!!

When do the Pats need to let Revis know if they will be picking up his option? At the beginning of the new league year? I think Goodell waits at least until mid March to make his decision.

It doesn't matter whether the Patriots release Revis, keep him at 20M, or renegotiate another deal

Yep, a mistake like saying something publically about a player under contract is like making a mistake and taping from the wrong spot on the field.

Neither is really a big deal at all.

please. taping from the wrong spot on the field my ass. patriots were cheating and they knew it. mangini knew it and got pissed because mumbles had the balls to do it to him even though he knew they did it.

Once again the Jets idiot owner has no business talking about NFL matters that he doesn't understand.  The media coaxed him in and he may very well cost the team a pick.  Sure we can sit here and say its minor or a slip of the tongue but bottom line we have an idiot at the top that shouldn't be allowed to talk NFL business to the public.  Leave that to your new hires and disappear for a couple years and leave your check book in Macc Daddy's office.

This x 1,000,000

STFU Woody.

jerry jones spoke to adrian peterson on the phone about peterson playing for the cowboys, and didn't report it to anyone, 2 very serious violations

nothing happened

bevell and brad childress spoke to favre about playing for the vikings

nothing happened

yawn

i thought a joke when I read,,woody obviously fumbled his words about Revis on the ? in Presser. There was ZERO tampering intent in his words..was it illegal? ya, but trust me, if u see presser video, he was fumbling over words..

plus wouldnt revis go to Bills instead of us?? why would we be #1 choice now? Rex is his Zen Master.

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 2m2 minutes ago

#Patriots have filed tampering charges vs. the New York Jets for Woody Johnson's comments on Revis according to @AdamSchefter

Could be a draft pick swap if history is any indicator of punishment.

Patriots will win this. The only question remaining is what NY's punishment will be

Candidate #1 for troll of the year.

If I'm not mistaken, past tampering charges have resulted in the teams swapping draft picks.

I'd say best case scenario for the Jets here is that we get your 2nd rounder, but we could also swap 1sts

Don't make stuff up.

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt · 6m6 minutes ago

Patriots filing of tampering charges v. Jets seems like preemptive move to have league watching if/when Jets run him in free agency.

Like they went hard for him last year? They didn't even return his agent's call. Besides Revis isn't even that good anymore.

Expressing any interest in a player under contract gives said players agent more leverge in contract negotiations.

It would be like Belichick announcing that he would be willing to pay `Insert Jets Player Here` 10M a year to come play for NE while that player is coming up on a contract year for NY

The statement was public yet they're still trying to determine whether a tampering violation even occurred. The language was expressly conditional and past tense. If you think the outcome of parsing that is going to be a violation rising to the level of a second round pick, if we're lucky, you are manifestly insane.

woodshed-300x150-520x245.jpg

#Patriots have filed tampering charges vs. the New York Jets for Woody Johnson's comments on Revis according to @AdamSchefter

Patriots will win this. The only question remaining is what NY's punishment will be

All Schefter said is they filed tampering charges. This Pat tool gives no point of reference for any punishment. Johnson may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but all he did was complement a player who will in fact be a free agent. Besides Goodell has made enough of a mess in other areas that "investigating" such a thing would be an embarrassment.

All Schefter said is they filed tampering charges. This Pat tool gives no point of reference for any punishment. Johnson may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but all he did was complement a player who will in fact be a free agent. Besides Goodell has made enough of a mess in other areas that "investigating" such a thing would be an embarrassment.

agree, I see this as nuthin more than pats bustin balls,, 

Archived